HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Jiri Fischer v. Barret Jackman

View Poll Results: Fischer or Jackman
Fishcer 32 30.77%
Jackman 72 69.23%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-19-2003, 06:31 PM
name

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat

You're pretty damn funny. But, even more wrong. What you are referring to are studies about things where people would be embarrassed if people knew their true answers. For example: "Do you masturbate?"

This is nothing like that. There is no reason for anyone to be embarrassed for answering this question. I suspect that you are spewing this nonsense because you thought that people wouldn't vote for Fischer if people could see who they voted for. Unfortunately for you, anonymity didn't help your cause as Jackman still dominated the poll (especially when you take into consideration the biased votes such as yours and the votes of people who voted against Jackman because they don't like him).
Comedy. I'm sure there were no biased votes going for Jackman. Oh no.

Old
10-19-2003, 06:40 PM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by name
Comedy. I'm sure there were no biased votes going for Jackman. Oh no.
Given the fact that there are 4 or 5 times more Wings fans on this board than Blues fans, it's definately a safe assumption that there have been more biased votes for Fischer than for Jackman. I appreciate your concern. Have a great evening.

Old
10-19-2003, 06:47 PM
name

Quote:
Given the fact that there are 4 or 5 times more Wings fans on this board than Blues fans, it's definately a safe assumption that there have been more biased votes for Fischer than for Jackman. I appreciate your concern. Have a great evening.
Where did you get that info from? Just curious.

Old
10-19-2003, 06:54 PM
degroat*

What information would that be?

Old
10-19-2003, 07:13 PM
name

Quote:
What information would that be?
"Given the fact that there are 4 or 5 times more Wings fans on this board than Blues fans"

Old
10-20-2003, 03:22 AM
degroat*

Where did I get the info that there are so many more Wings fans here? I used a little common sense and made an observation. It's rather obvious.

Old
10-20-2003, 04:27 AM
LaVal

i'd take Fischer. the guy is a monster.

Old
10-20-2003, 05:12 AM
Ric Flair

Send a message via AIM to Ric Flair Send a message via MSN to Ric Flair Send a message via Yahoo to Ric Flair
Jackman

Old
10-20-2003, 06:22 AM
Vyacheslav
Subdue the East

vCash: 541
Send a message via AIM to Vyacheslav
Quote:
Where did I get the info that there are so many more Wings fans here? I used a little common sense and made an observation. It's rather obvious.
Well to be fair, I'm sure there are a lot of people who would vote against Fischer just because he is a Red Wing. I don't understand the purpose of voting in a biased manner. It doesn't really mean anything, it's just a highly informal web poll.

Old
10-20-2003, 07:54 AM
PigPen

With the way fischer was playing at the beginning of last season before his injury and how he's played in our 4 games so far this season, I choose him.

Yeah, Jackman won the calder and is a physical defensive D-man but I think Fischer is going to be a lot better in the future. He's faster, bigger, just as good defensively and is as physical as Jackman. Also he's got a ton of offensive potential while it seems that Jackman has already hit his ceiling offensively.

Old
10-20-2003, 08:14 AM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

vCash: 450
I voted for Fischer, maybe it's a homer vote. Maybe it's because Fischer is bigger and faster than Jackman. Fischer needs to work more on the offensive end. But eventually he'll get the time he needs. Mainly PP time.

But really, you couldn't go wrong with either of them.

Old
10-20-2003, 08:19 AM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigPen
With the way fischer was playing at the beginning of last season before his injury and how he's played in our 4 games so far this season, I choose him.

Yeah, Jackman won the calder and is a physical defensive D-man but I think Fischer is going to be a lot better in the future. He's faster, bigger, just as good defensively and is as physical as Jackman. Also he's got a ton of offensive potential while it seems that Jackman has already hit his ceiling offensively.
Considering you're making a decision based on what you've seen in less than 20 games (or 9% of his games played) , I guess it's a good thing you're not making the decisions for your favorite teams.

Fisher is not as good defensively. Fischer is not faster than Jackman. And, Fischer has shown absoltuely nothing to show that he has this amazing offensive potential that people speak of. It's like me pointing to Jackman's 4 point game last year and saying he's going to lead the league in scoring next season.

Re: Jackman hitting his ceiling offensively: That's complete BS. The kid put up nearly 20 points without playing on the PP at all. It's only a matter of time before he's on the Blues' 1st PP unit.

Old
10-20-2003, 08:40 AM
pavel13

Send a message via AIM to pavel13
Quote:

You're pretty damn funny. But, even more wrong. What you are referring to are studies about things where people would be embarrassed if people knew their true answers. For example: "Do you masturbate?"

This is nothing like that. This is more like asking someone rather they prefer McDonald's or Jack in the Box. I bet you couldn't find any experiment that proves that an anonymous poll would provide more accurate results.

There is no reason for anyone to be embarrassed for answering this question. I suspect that you are spewing this nonsense because you thought that people wouldn't vote for Fischer if people could see who they voted for. Unfortunately for you, anonymity didn't help your cause as Jackman still dominated the poll (especially when you take into consideration the biased votes such as yours and the votes of people who voted against Jackman because they don't like him).
Your argument makes no sense at all. Anonymity does increase peoples' honesty. If people think that their view will be challenged or that they will be insulted (you called anybody voting for Fishcer "biased," proving my point right there), they will be less likely to vote for the minority or the less accepted choice.

Also when people feel pressure to conform, they will more likely conform. If they remain anonymous, they will be much relieved of pressure to conform.
Have you ever heard of the Asch experiment? Experimental subjects were given a "perception test." They were shown several lines and were asked which line is the same as line #1. When there was no pressure to conform, people gave the correct answer 99% of the time. When several confederates (people disguised as subjects who are manipulating the independent variable(s)) gave the same incorrect answer, many people showed discomfort and many of them answered incorrectly to conform to the group. And that was a simple line-matching task.

Looks something like this:

Which line is closest to this line?

A __________________
B ___________
C_________________

Quote:
Unfortunately for you, anonymity didn't help your cause as Jackman still dominated the poll (especially when you take into consideration the biased votes such as yours and the votes of people who voted against Jackman because they don't like him).
You can't make any assumption about whether or not anonnymity affected the poll results unless you have a control group. I guess you really know nothing about experimentation do you? You can't say that there was no effect when you can't compare two things.

If I can't take into consideration any biased votes, what's the point in polling? I know that almost all of the votes were biased. That was part of the reason I did the poll. I know with great certainty that if I do this poll at the end of the year, then the votes will be MUCH more even. Jackman has on his side, a Calder Trophy just a few months ago, while Fischer has a season-long injury. I also know that even most Redwings fans prefer Jackman over Fischer. I frequent a Redwings forum, and more people voted for Jackman that Fischer.

Old
10-20-2003, 10:11 AM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
Jackman

Old
10-20-2003, 10:12 AM
name

Quote:
Oh, so in other words, you pulled it right out of your rear and called it a fact.

Looking at the team boards, I see about 2.9k posts to the Wings board and about 2.4k posts to the Blues board. Yep, it seems perfectly obvious to me that there are 4-5 times more Wings fans around here than Blues fans.

Old
10-20-2003, 11:26 AM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 50
Jackman

Old
10-20-2003, 01:26 PM
degroat*

Quote:
Oh, so in other words, you pulled it right out of your rear and called it a fact.

Looking at the team boards, I see about 2.9k posts to the Wings board and about 2.4k posts to the Blues board. Yep, it seems perfectly obvious to me that there are 4-5 times more Wings fans around here than Blues fans.
Yes, it is perfectly obvious to anyone who has been here for any length of time that there are MANY more Wings fans than Blues fans. Unfortunately, you aren't one of those people that have been here for a while and for the sake of the quality of the board, I hope you don't become one.

Old
10-20-2003, 02:24 PM
name

Quote:
Yes, it is perfectly obvious to anyone who has been here for any length of time that there are MANY more Wings fans than Blues fans. Unfortunately, you aren't one of those people that have been here for a while and for the sake of the quality of the board, I hope you don't become one.
Right yep, MANY more Wings fans here, I gotcha. There are barely more posts to the Wings board than the Blues board but believe you me, whenever there's a poll pitting a Wings player vs a Blues player, we come out in droves to taint the vote blasted homers we are. Plain as day, anybody can see that. Furthermore, there are no fans at all who can't stand the Wings, nobody angry because they "bought The Cup". Are the clouds shaped like musical notes in your world?

Try making your unsubstantiated claims in all bold and using a bigger font next time, maybe that will make them more credible.

Old
10-20-2003, 09:00 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavel13
Which line is closest to this line?

A __________________
B ___________
C_________________
I'll vote for B.. just a hunch...

Old
10-21-2003, 04:40 AM
degroat*

Quote:
Right yep, MANY more Wings fans here, I gotcha. There are barely more posts to the Wings board than the Blues board but believe you me, whenever there's a poll pitting a Wings player vs a Blues player, we come out in droves to taint the vote blasted homers we are. Plain as day, anybody can see that. Furthermore, there are no fans at all who can't stand the Wings, nobody angry because they "bought The Cup". Are the clouds shaped like musical notes in your world?

Try making your unsubstantiated claims in all bold and using a bigger font next time, maybe that will make them more credible.
There is a reason why no one that has been here for a length of time has refuted my claim.

Old
10-22-2003, 12:18 PM
pavel13

Send a message via AIM to pavel13
Quote:
There is a reason why no one that has been here for a length of time has refuted my claim.
Maybe, but there isn't anybody who has posted in support of your claim.

Old
10-22-2003, 03:09 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Jackman

Old
10-23-2003, 04:18 PM
Mack

Send a message via MSN to Mack
Jackman