HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Uh, Here's A Fox Article that Just Posted on Their Site

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2006, 05:05 PM
ILuvLA

vCash: 500
Uh, Here's A Fox Article that Just Posted on Their Site

Is there something in the water today or what????
http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/5226762

Old
01-06-2006, 05:24 PM
Kick

"I think we've stayed fairly consistent in our approach," says Murray. "We play the same system in Manchester. Bruce Boudreau coached there for seven years there and coached the way we like to coach up here. And now that Jim Hughes is (there), he's doing the same thing."

Interesting statement in regard to Bruce Boudreau.

Why was he let go then?

Old
01-06-2006, 06:24 PM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKen48
Why was [Bruce Boudreau] let go then?
Well, to quote Monarchs General Manager Kevin Gilmore: “However, the Kings organization firmly believes that a key to developing prospects into NHL impact players, players that will bring winning ways to the Los Angeles Kings, is teaching these young players how to win when the stakes are highest. The inability in each of the last four seasons to elevate the play of our best young prospects to a level that translates to playoff success is something that needs to be corrected. As an organization we felt a coaching change was needed in order to address this.

So, obviously because Boudreau and his staff were unable to make it past the first round in the playoffs in the same manner that Andy Murray and his staff have been so successful...oh, wait...nevermind.

Old
01-06-2006, 06:37 PM
Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMoto
So, obviously because Boudreau and his staff were unable to make it past the first round in the playoffs in the same manner that Andy Murray and his staff have been so successful...oh, wait...nevermind.
Except Jim Hughes that is.

Old
01-06-2006, 10:03 PM
Chartrand

Quote:
I liked Bruce, but he was coaching far, far, far, far...farfarfarfarfarfar better teams relative to league talent than Andy Murray.

Old
01-07-2006, 07:27 AM
ReggieMoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHL MV
I liked Bruce, but he was coaching far, far, far, far...farfarfarfarfarfar better teams relative to league talent than Andy Murray.
Please explain. Our team was made up of guys playing other guys with the same relative destiny (prospects, future NHLers or veteran AHLers) in the same relative numbers. Are you saying that whereas Murray was icing a bunch of no-talents we were icing the cream of the crop? His core talent hasn't changed all that much relative to our core talent, so they must believe that the core LA roster is pretty talented.

Old
01-07-2006, 03:38 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Well, to quote Monarchs General Manager Kevin Gilmore: “However, the Kings organization firmly believes that a key to developing prospects into NHL impact players, players that will bring winning ways to the Los Angeles Kings, is teaching these young players how to win when the stakes are highest. The inability in each of the last four seasons to elevate the play of our best young prospects to a level that translates to playoff success is something that needs to be corrected. As an organization we felt a coaching change was needed in order to address this.

Last I recall, Andy did actually win a playoff round. And two game seven losses to Colorado isn't to shabby either.

Old
01-07-2006, 05:22 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan
Last I recall, Andy did actually win a playoff round. And two game seven losses to Colorado isn't to shabby either.
It's rather sad, though, that simply winning a few playoff games is the only bar set by the Kings/Monarchs organization (and when even that's not reached, a good excuse will do).

Old
01-07-2006, 05:39 PM
Chartrand

Quote:
Are you saying that whereas Murray was icing a bunch of no-talents we were icing the cream of the crop?
"No-talents" and "Cream of the crop" are your words, but otherwise that's exactly what I'm saying ( relative to the competition ). You disagree?

Old
01-07-2006, 09:38 PM
ReggieMoto

Quote:
"No-talents" and "Cream of the crop" are your words...
And "far, far, far, far...farfarfarfarfarfar better teams" were yours. A distinction without a difference far as I can tell.

Quote:
You disagree?
Yeah. I think the proportion of stinkers to solid talent was about the same between the two teams in their respective leagues.

Old
01-07-2006, 11:10 PM
Chartrand

Quote:
Yeah. I think the proportion of stinkers to solid talent was about the same between the two teams in their respective leagues.
You're not pulling my leg or anything?

The Kings have been, for a significant portion of the Monarchs' existance, a collection of average NHL talent mixed in with a few top scorers when healthy ( Palffy, Deader, Allison ) and a lot of filler thanks to injuries.

Their best goalie during this time, prior to Mathieu Garon, has probably been Felix Potvin. Scary thought.

The Monarchs on the other hand have consistently lit up the AHL, while at the same time have had great AHL goaltenders every year, like Scott, Huet, Hauser and Garon.

The Monarchs have won 38, 40, 40, and 51 games in the first four seasons. The Kings, on the other hand, won 40, 33, 28, and then last year was the lockout.

Is this because the Monarchs have consistently iced more talented teams, or because Bruce Boudreau does more with it than Andy Murray?

Old
01-08-2006, 06:44 AM
ReggieMoto

Quote:
You're not pulling my leg or anything?
I would never do that to you.

Quote:
The Kings have been, for a significant portion of the Monarchs' existance, a collection of average NHL talent mixed in with a few top scorers when healthy ( Palffy, Deader, Allison ) and a lot of filler thanks to injuries.

The Monarchs on the other hand have consistently lit up the AHL, while at the same time have had great AHL goaltenders every year, like Scott, Huet, Hauser and Garon.
The Monarchs never lit anything up until last season, and we don't need to go into why last season was any different than the other seasons. They previous teams were pretty good teams, but they weren't great.

Scott and Huet were ok goalies. They weren't great but Huet I thought showed more promise. Admittedly, the Kings had virtually no goaltending with "Choke". But the Kings also saddled us with Hnlicka and Chewy for the '03-'04 season (letting Scott go and keeping Huet in LA). Were it not for Boudreau finding Hauser (who was not signed by the Kings) and putting him in net over the other two, that entire season would have been a disaster.

Who were the major talents iced by the Monarchs? Smithson? Kelly? Rosa? Lehoux? Muir? Zizka? How were they any better in their league than any of the hotshot players who've played for the Kings in the last 3 seasons?

Quote:
Is this because the Monarchs have consistently iced more talented teams, or because Bruce Boudreau does more with it than Andy Murray?
The latter, when given the opportunity to do so. Of course, there were the seasons where the Kings flopped or were eliminated early and happily sent their malcontents back to Manchester. Bruce was obligated to play them. No one should have to ask why we were then eliminated in the first round. Remember last season, when Garon made start after start in the playoff round, when everyone knew that Hauser was the hot goalie? I suppose you think that was Bruce's call?

[P.S. - I'll be on the road until later in the week and while I'll be able to read the boards from time to time, I won't have much if any time to respond.]

Old
01-08-2006, 08:05 AM
King Blazer

Quote:
I'm going to say one thing about Boudreau, I can't ever remember a team he coached allowing an opponent to do what Hartford did to Pushkarev last night with absolutely no response. That was disgusting...

Old
01-08-2006, 11:11 PM
Chartrand

Quote:
The Monarchs never lit anything up until last season, and we don't need to go into why last season was any different than the other seasons. They previous teams were pretty good teams, but they weren't great.
The first team wasn't great, but every year since the inaugural one, the Monarchs have had a well balanced team each time. 6th ranked offense, 7th ranked defense. 6th ranked offense, 7th ranked defense. 2nd ranked offense, 2nd ranked defense.

Boudreau was pretty good, but it takes considerable talent to do that.

Quote:
Scott and Huet were ok goalies. They weren't great but Huet I thought showed more promise. Admittedly, the Kings had virtually no goaltending with "Choke". But the Kings also saddled us with Hnlicka and Chewy for the '03-'04 season (letting Scott go and keeping Huet in LA). Were it not for Boudreau finding Hauser (who was not signed by the Kings) and putting him in net over the other two, that entire season would have been a disaster.
Overall, Scott and Huet were nothing special, but both ranked among the top AHL goaltenders. Scooter was all All-Star, too.

About Hauser, do we know for sure who deserves credit for finding him? That could have been a Gilmore call, or a McDonough call, or whatever. It also took a couple of injuries for Hauser to get the job...so that was more chance than a good decision.

Quote:
Who were the major talents iced by the Monarchs? Smithson? Kelly? Rosa? Lehoux? Muir? Zizka? How were they any better in their league than any of the hotshot players who've played for the Kings in the last 3 seasons?
You have to think of this talent in relation to the league.

Kelly, Rosa, Muir...those guys are Tkachuk, Palffy, and Pronger in the AHL.

Quote:
I suppose you think that was Bruce's call?
No, but I don't believe everything is a conspiracy. I know that some Manchester fans will arbitrarily blame Gilmore or the Kings, because it is easier to blame someone behind a desk, than a likeable coach in the spotlight. The truth is, obviously, that the blame should be shared between all three parties ( front office, coaching staff, players ).

I also don't believe that Boudreau was fired for failing in the playoffs...well not directly. I believe they only wanted to go in a different direction and explore other opportunities under the guise of firing him over the playoffs. But this is only my opinion.

I'm not Andy Murray's biggest fan, but the guy is one of the most respected coaches in the NHL. Boudreau is still coaching in the minors. Bruce will get his shot, but I don't think there are many people that will say that Boudreau gets more out of his players than Andy Murray.

Quote:
I won't have much if any time to respond.]
Don't worry. I don't think there's much to this one. It is pretty much all speculation on both parts.

Closed Thread