HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rutuu/Lindgren/Keane...which will be moved?

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2003, 06:09 PM
Peter

vCash: 50
Rutuu/Lindgren/Keane...which will be moved?

Brian Burke and Marc Crawford both said that having three forwards roating in and out is not very condusive to team play, for the individuals in question and for the coaches (in case they want to bring someone up from the Farm to get a look at them).

They never said they would trade one but both said it is a little easier right now with Lindgren being hurt (thus only two man rotation) but things would get sticky again when he came back off the injury list.

I suspect that one of Keane/Rutuu or Lindgren will be traded and traded for defensive help in Manitoba. Smyl made the comment that they are "very young and inexperienced on defence now that Eakins has gone down with an injury" and they are using their #7 guy (Vydarney...heh,Smyl's words not mine) and their #8 guy St. Croix.

So it seems to make some sense that Burke will trade his problem (too many forwards) to fix Smyl's problems (not enough d-men). The question is which forward gets traded??

The obvious answer is Rutuu.

Keane was signed to provide leadership and moxy.
Lindgren is hurt too often.
So that leaves Rutuu and, to be honest, getting a mid-ranged, talent wise, d-man for the farm in exchange will be probably be the going rate.

Thoughts??

Old
10-18-2003, 06:17 PM
nazzy19o

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to nazzy19o Send a message via Yahoo to nazzy19o
Lindgren should pack his bags IMO

Old
10-18-2003, 06:20 PM
jeffbrown

I'd rather move Lindgren, but he would probably be not attractive to many teams. Ruutu would be the logical choice. I like him, but wouldn't be too sad if he's gone, although his abrasive play is fun to watch.

Old
10-18-2003, 06:24 PM
Thalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazzy19o
Lindgren should pack his bags IMO
Unfortunately Lindgren's back is too sore for him to pack his bags.

He's just had back surgery recently and no doubt it'll be a long long recovery for him. I doubt we'll be seeing much of that guy this year and I doubt he's even tradable.

Old
10-18-2003, 06:31 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

I haven't seen very much leadership by Keane. I'd move Lindgren, then Keane. I wouldn't move Ruutu.

Old
10-18-2003, 07:25 PM
Avery4Byng*

Get rid of Lindgren. Injury prone and I am sure his spot can be easily filled by the farm hands.

Old
10-18-2003, 07:32 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

We've heard practically nothing about Lindgren, which isn't good news. He won't garner any return in a trade either, guys. Ruutu would be the only one to bring some kind of return. I think the Canucks will definitely make a move or two by the deadline(hoping for Marty Straka...)

~Canucklehead~

10-18-2003, 08:16 PM
Impossibles

None of these guys have any value right now.

But if Ruutu gets a lot of ice time and starts getting known as a quality player in the NHL, he might get some trade value.

Keane's worth will come thru in the playoffs. He's a playoff warrior, not the type of guy that lights it up at the beginning of the season.

The nice thing about having langdon here was him not minding playing 20-30 games. He knew his role. Keane is going to want to play 60+.

The guy I feel sorry for is Chubarov. He's been a great player for us and has offensive potential (19 points in 19 games his last season with the moose), but is getting stuck with stone-handed players like May and Keane. For that reason I hope the cooke-linden-Arvedson line gets broken up

Old
10-18-2003, 08:57 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Lindgren's decent on faceoffs and on the PK. His back problems won't attract any good offers. Won't be traded.

Keane brings playoff experience(something sorely needed on this team) and is a great PK'er(again, something sorely needed on this team). If teams wanted him, they'd have signed him in the offseason. Though I suppose if he performs well, he'd be attractive trade bait. Still, I'd like to see him stick around.

Ruutu is like Cooke except slower and hands aren't as good. However, his poor play for much of last season(he showed better play later on) won't garner much. Will need to find a team that's looking for grinder help.

Old
10-18-2003, 09:01 PM
incawg

I think trading Ruutu would be a mistake. He was one of our best players last year in the playoffs. If one of the three *has* to move it would be Lindgren. Quite frankly I don't see why any of them have to be moved, especially with Lindgren's chronic back injury. If we trade one of them for another player, we'll have the exact same roster problem. If we trade one of them for a mid-round pick we lose depth (what happens when we get injuries up front?) and gain very little.

Old
10-18-2003, 09:30 PM
Impossibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by incawg
Quite frankly I don't see why any of them have to be moved, especially with Lindgren chronic back injury
The problem is if lindgren gets healthy, veteran players will have to sit more than they'd like, possibly making some players unhappy.

Old
10-18-2003, 09:34 PM
incawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossibles
The problem is if lindgren gets healthy, veteran players will have to sit more than they'd like, possibly making some players unhappy.
First, that's assuming that all other forwards are healthy...which is unlikely to be the case for a large chunk of the time. Second, is Lindgren ever going to be reliably healthy? I doubt it.

Even if they are all healthy, who is going to complain? Ruutu played only a handful of games last year and was very diplomatic about it. The interest around the league in Keane and Lindgren was so low that they both had to tryout to make the team - they'll be happy to play at all for a top level NHL team.

At the end of the day, I really don't see it being an issue. In the unlikely event that it does become a problem down the road, it will be addressed at that point.

Old
10-18-2003, 10:23 PM
Nalyd Psycho

What about May?

10-18-2003, 10:32 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho
What about May?
Sadly, he is our "enforcer". We need him for his toughness

Trading Ruutu would be a mistake.
Keane is not going anywhere.
Lindgren is not going anywhere.

Old
10-19-2003, 06:49 AM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
I hate to be a jackass... but...

DEPTH IS GOOD.

Old
10-19-2003, 09:16 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironchef Chris Wok

DEPTH IS GOOD.
Agreed. What's wrong with having rotation of 3 depth forwards? Lindgren isn't even healthy right now and its likely he won't be consistently healthy all season. And like incawg stated, it's unlikely that the Canucks forward group won't incure any injuries, having depth is good for those times.

Old
10-19-2003, 12:34 PM
Peter

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
Agreed. What's wrong with having rotation of 3 depth forwards? Lindgren isn't even healthy right now and its likely he won't be consistently healthy all season. And like incawg stated, it's unlikely that the Canucks forward group won't incure any injuries, having depth is good for those times.
I am not saying there is anything wrong with the 3 forwards rotating...it was Burke and Crawford who are complaining. And I guess their two cents probably amount to more than our two cents worth.

Rutuu, IMO, is the guy to go and getting an AHL d-man for him would be about right.

It seems that Burke would like to get guys like Federov, Kesler et al some ice time in the bigs but can't because we have too many forwards up already.

Old
10-19-2003, 12:50 PM
incawg

http://www.canada.com/vancouver/thep...6-CCEDBC9F63F8

Quote:
NOTE: Mats Lindgren had surgery on a disc in his back on Thursday and will remain out of the lineup indefinitely.
I told you it was a moot point

Btw, moving Ruutu for an AHL defenseman would be a huge mistake after the way he played in the postseason. We lost Klatt already, no need to further deplete the grit necessary for the playoffs.

Old
10-19-2003, 12:57 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

I don't see either of the 3 getting traded.

Season is early, and to expect these guys to stay healthy all year is asking too much IMO... Lindgren is already injury prone, and if Keane is getting 60+ games he's going to get injured as well...

I would hate to deal Ruutu and then have both these guys out with injury... Ruutu is just now coming into his own as a valuable depth grinder - and especially in the playoffs, and the huge conference games, such players become more valuable.

If we need to add a depth guy on the farm, then a draft pick is really all it takes... especially if we're looking to add a veteran guy on the backend - an Eakins or Baumer type - such players are waiver material and won't cost much at all, so why deal a guy that could come in really handy in the playoffs for us?? I would rather deal a 5th round pick for such a player, and then have Ruutu sitting in the pressbox *just incase we need him* then deal him and keep the 5th (or likely later pick).

King is the guy who could go up and down depending on his play and the play of the farm hands... on a contending roster, that is already young without King, having 2 roster spots for rookies is too much.

Lindgren's value is close to zero right now, and he's still a good piece to keep around... he's one of our top faceoff guys, and is a solid checking center - when healthy.

and when you have guys like May and Keane in the lineup, you want to make sure there is someone else to step in when the inevitable injuries happen.

Old
10-19-2003, 12:58 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter
Rutuu, IMO, is the guy to go and getting an AHL d-man for him would be about right.
Doesn't seem right to me. Ruutu is an NHL calibre forward, why trade him for an AHL calibre defenseman?

Quote:
It seems that Burke would like to get guys like Federov, Kesler et al some ice time in the bigs but can't because we have too many forwards up already.
If Fedor continues to play the way he is, he'll get a call-up. The problem is that if Fedor is called up, he needs a spot in the line-up, on one of the top two lines. Having Ruutu, Keane, and Lindgren(who is injured right now, could be put on the IR) as depth forwards isn't going to interfere with Fedor getting proper ice-time.

Old
10-19-2003, 03:24 PM
Rageinthecage

Quote:

DEPTH IS GOOD.

I'm with you, Waveburner, and P.G. on this one. Depth is needed. Lindgren is hurt now. Many others will get hurt over the duration of the season. How would Canuck fans like a scenario similiar to Phoenix and L.A. last year (or Montreal or Washington previous years) where so many regulars are injured that over half the NHL lineup consists of AHL players? I'd personally rather have Ruutu, Keane, Lindgren (when healthy), and May play in the lineup on a nightly basis than Ready, Kavanagh, Komarniski, and Bouck. At least the former group have proven their worth as NHL calibre players. If too many 3rd/4th line roster players get injured, these are the type of guys getting the callup to replace defensive presence, grit, physical play, etc.

As stated by many others, Lindgren and Keane have no trade value at this point. No way I would trade Ruutu or May for help on the farm or draft picks at this point. Why does this thread even exist? It's our top line and defense letting the team down thus far, not the grinders.

If anyone gets traded during the season, it will be a player of some value to another team (Chubarov, Sopel, Allen, Umberger, Reid, King, to name a few) to secure a bonafide top six scorer if needed. Ruutu could be a throw in to this sort of deal, but he won't be dumped for AHL defensemen. Eakins won't be hurt any more than a couple of months in Manitoba. Burke can obtain a career AHL experienced d-man for a conditional pick, off waivers, or for one of many extra forwards in Manitoba or Columbia.

Old
10-20-2003, 08:30 PM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
Well...

Lindgren's gone until December. So this conversation is moot.

Old
10-20-2003, 10:33 PM
quat
intheDanRusseljungle

Send a message via ICQ to quat
The fact is, several players a season go down with injuries. You don't start dumping your depth players at the start of a season just because everyone (except Lingren) is healthy.

Ruutu has shown he is capable of playing decently on lines two through four. He does better the further down he seems to go (heh... imagine how well he'd do in the AHL!), but is a very valuable piece of what makes the team work.

Old
10-21-2003, 06:52 AM
Thalia

Quote:
Well...

Lindgren's gone until December. So this conversation is moot.
According to yesterday's paper, Lindgren is a "professional rehabilitator" so apparently he'll be back playing sooner rather than later.

I don't like the sound of that term though: "professional rehabilitator"... sounds as though they're trying to gloss over the rehab part and emphasize the professional aspect so we'll all take the news a bit better.

I'm a professional loafer (sounds so much better)... I'm very good at what I do. :p

Old
10-21-2003, 07:10 AM
islandnucker

Send a message via ICQ to islandnucker
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad
I haven't seen very much leadership by Keane. I'd move Lindgren, then Keane. I wouldn't move Ruutu.
I don't see how you can see if Keane is providing leadership (that has to be a hyperbole or something like that!). I'm sure in the dressing room he's passing on advice to whomever needs it, that's why he was brought in.

Closed Thread