HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Mario Lemieux is one of the laziest players in the NHL...

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2003, 06:22 PM
temporary pencil

vCash: 500
Mario Lemieux is one of the laziest players in the NHL...

The last two games the Penguins played against Detroit and Montreal, Lemieux was probably the worst player on the ice. The only thing he's been doing is floating down the ice at one mile an hour, not really trying to do anything except on the powerplay where he kept giving the puck away with every other pass and being outmuscled by every single player who decided to get near him.

He made a few backchecks here and there, but overall he just looks like he's completely out of his league out there. I don't know what he's thinking, really...If he's in the best shape of his life as he's been saying all summer it really doesn't look like it right now.

Old
10-18-2003, 06:35 PM
King of Kelvington

Geez... last year it was like 10 games before mario lemeiux flame season officially began...somebody musta screwed up their fax machine. Go home hoser!

Old
10-18-2003, 06:38 PM
Masao

He didn't play his best game tonight but he wasn't THAT bad... he actually made some nice plays defensively and made some nice passes.

Old
10-18-2003, 06:39 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
wow he didn't score a point so he sucks...

Lemieux was the Penguins second best defensive forward tonight(behind Buchberger).

Old
10-18-2003, 06:52 PM
Master Kush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendel Clark Jr.
Geez... last year it was like 10 games before mario lemeiux flame season officially began...somebody musta screwed up their fax machine. Go home hoser!
It's funny how no one's allowed to critisize Lemieux just because he's Lemieux. To say he floats is an understatement. He pretty much leaves him linemates to do all the hardwork while he just worries about racking up the points

It's also funny how everyone flames Jagr when he floats, even though he isn't half as lazy as Lemieux. I guess Jagr must have learned from the best then....?

Old
10-18-2003, 06:55 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Kush
It's funny how no one's allowed to critisize Lemieux just because he's Lemieux. To say he floats is an understatement. He pretty much leaves him linemates to do all the hardwork while he just worries about racking up the points

It's also funny how everyone flames Jagr when he floats, even though he isn't half as lazy as Lemieux. I guess Jagr must have learned from the best then....?

It's funny how no one thinks Lemieux actually plays defense because he's one of the best offensive players of all time.

People who don't watch him often have no right to critisize the guy's work ethic considering what he does just to play every game. He's slow, big FREAKING deal, he still creates more offense than anyone in the game and has a very, VERY underrated defensive game. As I said earlier tonight he was our second best defensive forward tonight.

Slow doesn't equal lazy.

Old
10-18-2003, 07:06 PM
Koltsov71

vCash:
He wasn't amazing tonight, but he was solid.

We had other people step up there games tonight to get us the win. Lemieux can't do it every night.

Old
10-18-2003, 07:07 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by temporary pencil
....but overall he just looks like he's completely out of his league out there....
Well, he never really was good enough for the NHL. :clown:

A line for for the HF Hall of Fame.

Old
10-18-2003, 07:12 PM
MontrealSF
Lars Eller.

Quote:
It's He pretty much leaves him linemates to do all the hardwork while he just worries about racking up the points
Yeah.. I'm sure at 40 years old, Mario only cares about his point total at the end of the season What work do you wanna do when you have freakin' Drake Berehowsky and Marc Bergevin at D, no disrespect to them, but the last thing Mario thinks about are is points total.

Old
10-18-2003, 07:31 PM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Holy Crap...buchberger is still in the NHL???

Old
10-18-2003, 07:31 PM
Avery4Byng*

took you this long to realize hes lazy one way player? sheesh.

Old
10-18-2003, 07:34 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGod

Played for Phoenix last year, signed with the Pens in the off-season. He's been great so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tray
took you this long to realize hes lazy one way player? sheesh.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Old
10-18-2003, 07:47 PM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Lemieux always backchecks. When a player is on a breakaway against the pens, a lot more than once last year it was Lemieux applying pressure and being the first one back. TP, why don't you actually watch a penguin game and make sure you know what you are talking about before you critisize players. Remember, penguins fans see Lemieux the most and they know how he plays, so why embarrass yourself?

Old
10-18-2003, 08:28 PM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGod

after the beatdown he took from Darren McCarty tonight, he may wish he wasnt.

It takes a lot to make Darren McCarty look like a Heavyweight. Buch did his best tonight.

Old
10-18-2003, 08:42 PM
Wingboy2999

Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
Well, I'll tell you, I was freaking out EVERYTIME Lemieux was left open. I was even freaking out when Lidstrom was on Lemieux. He wasn't leading any rushes out there but it is not like he sucked. He wasn't that bad.

Old
10-18-2003, 08:44 PM
Wingboy2999

Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
Quote:
Originally Posted by X8oD
after the beatdown he took from Darren McCarty tonight, he may wish he wasnt.

It takes a lot to make Darren McCarty look like a Heavyweight. Buch did his best tonight.
Yeah, that was a sweet fight. Did McCarty punch off his helmet or did it just fall off? He totally schooled him. Buchberger has never been that great of a fighter, that I know of, but he certainly puts himself on the line.

Old
10-18-2003, 08:56 PM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

come on people, you should know by now that if a superstar doesnt have a great game, he's losing his edge and sucks.

god, people's stupidty never ceases to amaze me...

Old
10-18-2003, 09:34 PM
Mizral

Mario Lemieux is not necessarily the worst backchecker in the world (that honour goes to Mr. Todd Bertuzzi), however he may be one of the worst players in the league when it comes to giving up the puck that creates odd man rushes against his team.

To say, or even imply, that he isn't anything better than dismal defensivly is simply being overly homeristic on the matter.

When Mario gets open space and has the puck, nobody disputes he is one of the best at setting up a play. However, he does have big-time defensive shortcomings, and he cannot score with enough regularity to make him an asset every time he steps on the ice - unlike, say, a Mike Modano. Lemieux can be very effective offensivly and help his team. Other times, he can make key mistakes at critical moments. This isn't to say he shouldn't be in the league anymore - he's still amongst the best players around offensivly.

Old
10-18-2003, 10:01 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyF
the last thing Mario thinks about are is points total.
He thinks about 2 things, and the first is the money, so yeah I guess your right.

Old
10-18-2003, 10:05 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand
He thinks about 2 things, and the first is the money, so yeah I guess your right.

Old
10-18-2003, 10:12 PM
lux_interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masao
He didn't play his best game tonight but he wasn't THAT bad... he actually made some nice plays defensively and made some nice passes.
I love Mario and all, but let's be honest. Mario isn't out there to make nice defensive plays.

Old
10-18-2003, 10:27 PM
Jacob

Quote:
however he may be one of the worst players in the league when it comes to giving up the puck that creates odd man rushes against his team.
Not true.

Old
10-18-2003, 10:34 PM
Doghouse

Send a message via AIM to Doghouse
Quote:
To say he floats is an understatement. He pretty much leaves him linemates to do all the hardwork while he just worries about racking up the points
First off...you have no clue what you're talking about.

Second, I can think of a couple incidences in every game this season where he's backchecked with authority and made great defensive plays.

Granite: I didn't see the game tonight, but I saw the ones against the Kings and the Canadiens. If you look at tapes from last year, I might agree with you that he's lazy. But if you compare last year's tapes with the tapes from the first three games, you'll see that he's improved with his backchecking.

Third thing...you have no clue what you're talking about.

Old
10-18-2003, 10:36 PM
Doghouse

Send a message via AIM to Doghouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by lux_interior
I love Mario and all, but let's be honest. Mario isn't out there to make nice defensive plays.
You're right. He's not out there to make defensive plays. But when he does, isn't that a plus? I mean on top of the fact that he puts up about 80-90 points a season when healthy.

Old
10-18-2003, 11:29 PM
lux_interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghouse
You're right. He's not out there to make defensive plays. But when he does, isn't that a plus? I mean on top of the fact that he puts up about 80-90 points a season when healthy.
If he's able to put up 80-90 points this season. I wouldn't want to see Mario end his career as a defensive forward on a crappy team.

Closed Thread