HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Mario Lemieux is one of the laziest players in the NHL...

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-19-2003, 02:00 AM
  #26
Evilo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: France
Country: France
Posts: 27,051
vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Mario Lemieux is not necessarily the worst backchecker in the world (that honour goes to Mr. Todd Bertuzzi), however he may be one of the worst players in the league when it comes to giving up the puck that creates odd man rushes against his team.

To say, or even imply, that he isn't anything better than dismal defensivly is simply being overly homeristic on the matter.

When Mario gets open space and has the puck, nobody disputes he is one of the best at setting up a play. However, he does have big-time defensive shortcomings, and he cannot score with enough regularity to make him an asset every time he steps on the ice - unlike, say, a Mike Modano. Lemieux can be very effective offensivly and help his team. Other times, he can make key mistakes at critical moments. This isn't to say he shouldn't be in the league anymore - he's still amongst the best players around offensivly.
You're wrong on all accounts.

Not only is he better than ANYONE offensively, but when he feels like it, he's better defensively than 99% of the NHL forwards.
Tonight he had an average game offensively. So what?

Sorry, make that another poor hockey post form you...

Evilo is online now  
Old
10-19-2003, 05:08 AM
  #27
JCD
Registered User
 
JCD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country:
Posts: 14,432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo
You're wrong on all accounts.

Not only is he better than ANYONE offensively, but when he feels like it, he's better defensively than 99% of the NHL forwards.
Tonight he had an average game offensively. So what?

Sorry, make that another poor hockey post form you...
Come on.

Mario is better defensively than 99% of NHL forwards?

Give me a break.

At best, he is mediocre. When he wants to be, he is fairly effective. Key part is, when he wants to be. The difference is that 'good' defensive forwards 'want to be' every game, every shift. Mario sure doesn't.

JCD is offline  
Old
10-19-2003, 06:12 AM
  #28
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd
 
The Tang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Pittsburgh. PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD
Come on.

Mario is better defensively than 99% of NHL forwards?

Give me a break.

At best, he is mediocre. When he wants to be, he is fairly effective. Key part is, when he wants to be. The difference is that 'good' defensive forwards 'want to be' every game, every shift. Mario sure doesn't.
what all of you people are forgeting, is that mario has the ability to read plays better than anyone else in this game. he can see everything happen before the play is even half unfolded. defensively, this is a great asset. he can do it offensivley to, but im sure you knew tha much.

most of you are refering to Mario pre-retirement. yes, he was incredibly lazy defensively and cherry picked. not true anymore.he knows he has to back check and play defense now so the team can win. Mario plays with a lot of heart, and trains more than almost anyone else on this team. but of course you know all this cause you read all the pittsburgh media and go to the games and practices right? what, no? you're just blowing smoke out your ass and making stuff up? well that explains the off base and utterly wrong comments being made.

i think being better than 99% of the forwards is a little off, but i wouldnt rule out 90%. he's no Lehtinen, but this is a guy who dominated offensively so much that he never had to play d. now that he has to, he is good at it, and that somehow pisses some of you off. jealousy? ignorance? what is knawing away at some of you? Maio is 38, and though he may be in great shape, its still not being 28. when you get to that age, your skills and athleticism slip no matter what. he cant dominate offensively like he once did, but now he is more willing to play defense and help in his own end.

i bet you people who critisize him are the ones who run to the ticket lines so you can be the first to see him. dont kow what you have aganist him, but nothing any of you nay-sayers have said is founded at all.

i dont know whqat the hell is with some of you. you can hate people, thatfine. but to hate them and then try and act like they dont possess teh skills they do? thats just bs and pathetic on your part. i hate roenick with a passion. however, i do admit he is a good hockey player. i hated mike richter because he was a ranger, but he was a great goalie. dont deny how good a person truly is because you dont like them. trying to degrade them is one of the most pathetic things you can do.

some of you really need to take your heads out of your *****

The Tang is offline  
Old
10-19-2003, 06:54 AM
  #29
Evilo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: France
Country: France
Posts: 27,051
vCash: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD
Come on.

Mario is better defensively than 99% of NHL forwards?

Give me a break.

At best, he is mediocre. When he wants to be, he is fairly effective. Key part is, when he wants to be. The difference is that 'good' defensive forwards 'want to be' every game, every shift. Mario sure doesn't.
Yep read my sentence : when he feels like it.

Evilo is online now  
Old
10-19-2003, 07:57 AM
  #30
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Victoryville
Country: United States
Posts: 25,493
vCash: 500
While I don't believe for a second Lemieux is one of the laziest players in the league, I have to say there's a bit of homerism going on here. According to Mario he is basically in as good a physical shape as he has been in years, but based on the games I've seen he is not hustling to the degree I expected. Not based on the comments he's been making all summer.

I definitely saw him "floating" around a few times last night; I don't think that's a bogus criticism at all. That said, I would like to see him lead by example a little more out there in terms of hustle. He did make some good plays defensively but he can do more. There's no way I expect 2 ppg any more with the people around him, but he can do other things and should do them to set an example.

Darth Vitale is offline  
Old
10-19-2003, 10:02 AM
  #31
andora
Registered User
 
andora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Illuminating Prince
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,025
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendel Clark Jr.
Go home hoser!
maybe if his post said *lemieux sucks, he's lazy*, this would be a good reply, but his post wasn't a flame, he brought up examples in a post that didn't say anything rude...

andora is offline  
Old
10-19-2003, 11:44 AM
  #32
Jacob
Registered User
 
Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 25,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy
While I don't believe for a second Lemieux is one of the laziest players in the league, I have to say there's a bit of homerism going on here. According to Mario he is basically in as good a physical shape as he has been in years, but based on the games I've seen he is not hustling to the degree I expected. Not based on the comments he's been making all summer.

I definitely saw him "floating" around a few times last night; I don't think that's a bogus criticism at all. That said, I would like to see him lead by example a little more out there in terms of hustle. He did make some good plays defensively but he can do more. There's no way I expect 2 ppg any more with the people around him, but he can do other things and should do them to set an example.
I'll agree with that.

Jacob is online now  
Old
10-19-2003, 11:54 AM
  #33
Wingboy2999
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: Djibouti
Posts: 1,850
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
Lemieux is one of the best defensive forwards in the game. My reasoning? He keeps the puck away from opposing teams.....because he always has it on his stick.

Wingboy2999 is offline  
Old
10-21-2003, 03:38 PM
  #34
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Germany
Posts: 54,234
vCash: 422
Last year who wasn't -25 on the Penguins?

Wayne Primeau was one of our best defendsive players last year and he was something like -29 before being traded...further proving that the +/- stat is completely ****ing useless.

Big McLargehuge is offline  
Old
10-21-2003, 03:57 PM
  #35
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd
 
The Tang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Pittsburgh. PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,175
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariano
Anyone who thinks that Mario hasn't been a floater during the regular season is delusional. His pattern has always been to float during the season and not play defence until the games matter, in the playoffs.

With there being no chance of the Pens making the playoffs, it's unclear what he'll do. Last year he was -25 and ineffective in 5-5 play. The fact is that Mario isn't the player he used to be.
you should note this person degrades the Pens any chance he gets, and comes up with such foolhardy ideas that the franchise is doomed after they didnt draw well for one game. also, that if a player doesnt get a point per gaem they arent effective at all. just ignore anything he has to say, he doesnt have a clue as to what he is talking about.

it should also be noted that there were only 2 penguins who finished last season w/ a positive +/- rating. both were aquired at the deadline, further making this argument worthless.

The Tang is offline  
Old
10-21-2003, 05:29 PM
  #36
Trottier
Very Random
 
Trottier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 27,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariano
Anyone who thinks that Mario hasn't been a floater during the regular season is delusional. His pattern has always been to float during the season and not play defence until the games matter, in the playoffs.
And what does that make one who has the audacity to criticize the playing style of one of the top five players of all-time, and arguably the second most prolific offensive player of all-time?

The answer is too obvious.

Same type of person who would criticize Wayne Gretzky for not being physical enough, Bobby Orr for being injury-prone, Mark Messier for being "dirty," Patrick Roy for having the good fortune of playing with good teams, and Mona Lisa for having a crooked smile.

Any wonder why many athletes have disdain for fans?

Trottier is offline  
Old
10-21-2003, 06:24 PM
  #37
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Germany
Posts: 54,234
vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
And what does that make one who has the audacity to criticize the playing style of one of the top five players of all-time, and arguably the second most prolific offensive player of all-time?

The answer is too obvious.

Same type of person who would criticize Wayne Gretzky for not being physical enough, Bobby Orr for being injury-prone, Mark Messier for being "dirty," Patrick Roy for having the good fortune of playing with good teams, and Mona Lisa for having a crooked smile.

Any wonder why many athletes have disdain for fans?
Have I ever told you that I love you?

Big McLargehuge is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:05 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.