HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Crosby Hating - Theory

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2006, 11:56 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

vCash: 500
Crosby Hating - Theory

If every team in the league didn't have a shot at him this year, do you guys think there would be so many ppl. throwing around this much hate?

I'm starting to think that a majority of the haters are people who where sitting there praying and hoping their team's lottery ball rolled out, and when it didn't, they instantly became haters.

If Crosby didn't super size his meal at Mcdonalds before the game, there is a hate thread posted about it.

I've never in my life seen so much pettiness and jealousy over one player.

It has gotten so ridiculous, that it is comical.

Last edited by Mr Jiggyfly: 01-07-2006 at 08:35 AM.
Old
01-07-2006, 12:05 AM
No Quarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Mr Jiggyfly>

I've never in my life seen so much pettiness and jealousy over one player.

It has gotten so ridiculous, that is is comical.

I agree 100%.

Old
01-07-2006, 12:08 AM
Makarov

I think its more related to the hype associated with Crosby, the amount of attention he garners, and the kind of press he attracts...

Even a player carrying a franchise like Ovechkin gets only a fraction of the attention Crasby does...

Its the hype that creates some animosity...

At the same time, I think Crosby has to start showing some respect for the referees, his constant chirping and whining is not helping the Pens and least of all his image...

Gretzky used to be a big whiner too, but even the Great One as a rookie did very little talking on the ice...

As just look at the way Mario used to carry himself on the ice in his young years and how much respect every one had for him...

Old
01-07-2006, 12:09 AM
tom_servo

Why do you people let it get under your skin so much?

Old
01-07-2006, 12:12 AM
Jaded-Fan

It is like anything a number of things, and that I definately think is part of it.

One of the things people seem to complain of most about regarding him I am thankful for. His yapping and edge on the ice. Can you even imagine if he were like he is in his interviews on the ice too? He is so perfect he is like the guy your mother hopes your sister brings back home to marry. He has been around cameras since he was 10 and it obviously has made him polished but seeming almost too good to be true. Let him throw some F-Yous on the ice and yap away. It makes him human and is far preferrable to what the ones here on these boards seem to be clamoring for. I for one am thrilled that he has that side to him to offset the 'nice boy next door' we see in interviews.

Old
01-07-2006, 12:34 AM
st5801

Quote:
It has gotten so ridiculous, that is is comical.
Yeah, its comical, oh well, I just play along with it.
<

Old
01-07-2006, 01:01 AM
Pens75
Pens Fan Since 1975

Disagree Toxostoma Rufum...

That's what all-stars with class do, carry themselves well off the field, extreme competitors on the field.

People like Hines Ward come to mind.

Old
01-07-2006, 01:16 AM
HockeyNightInDaBurg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxostoma Rufum
Crosby is sweetycakes when the pressure is off and a completely unispiring drag when the pressure is on.
Have you watched even a single minute of Sidney Crosby this year?

Old
01-07-2006, 01:32 AM
Magnus Fulgur

I had to drop that slight in because my intial post which outlined why I thought other people disliked Crosby was hopelessly misconstrued. Anyhow, I'm happy that we traded down to #16 ( I love who we got) , and I was happy for Pittsburgh to get the #1, and I think Crosby will continue to make his fans proud: I won't be one of his most vocal supporters, but the guy (notice how I didn't say "kid") is darn good.

Old
01-07-2006, 01:33 AM
Rover*

People just don't like hype and are jealous. Anyone who follows basketball knows that Yao was unfairly hyped up to be the next shaq which was always unfair. Fans and analysts are still on him to this day because he isn't the next shaq and it's his 4th year in the league now.

Old
01-07-2006, 01:42 AM
Burgh32

It's all about the sweater. Who would honestly NOT want him on their team? I guess you could call it jealousy.

Old
01-07-2006, 01:42 AM
Amen evil king
Amen, Evil King

I do agree - I hadn't realised how much people hated Crosby until the backlash from the Kovalchuk incident today. It's really quite strange.

Old
01-07-2006, 01:53 AM
Flyguy_1ca

Send a message via ICQ to Flyguy_1ca
I don't think it's surprising at all. Crosby was hyped as Jesus on skates....he's a very good player, but Ovechkin is better (right now). On top of that, they see a kid 18 constantly screaming and ranting at the refs...it grates on peoples nerves. It grated people with Gretzky too..he complained way too much when he was a kid too...

Old
01-07-2006, 02:05 AM
cassius

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_servo
Yea. Honestly.

Its a waste of time to defend against Crosby haters.

Old
01-07-2006, 02:09 AM
enenvee

Send a message via AIM to enenvee
Every person that is complaining about him would be making excuses for him if he were on the team they cheered for.

And anyway, great players always get a lot of undue grief from the opposing fans. When was the last time a fan from a rival team loved the opposing star? I mean look where the most hate is coming from, Philly. He's already had a couple 2 goal games and an OT winner against them. What will he do when he reaches his full potential?

So I'm not surprised that there are haters out there. I'm just surprised that they feel the need to voice their opinions so often and over the silliest of things.

They'd all be wearing Crosby jerseys if the lottery turned out differently.

JV

Old
01-07-2006, 03:07 AM
The Pens Are Back*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyguy_1ca
I don't think it's surprising at all. Crosby was hyped as Jesus on skates....he's a very good player, but Ovechkin is better (right now). On top of that, they see a kid 18 constantly screaming and ranting at the refs...it grates on peoples nerves. It grated people with Gretzky too..he complained way too much when he was a kid too...

the reason why he is hyped so much is cause he is canadian.

the north american media protrayed him as the next one. canada fianlly had a player on par (if not better) than the last 2 (of 3) cant miss superstars that were drafted ovy and kovy.

this kid has been hyped since he was 14 cause canada wants one of their 'boys" to be the face of the NHL taking over for mario/gretz. he is a lot easier to market to the rest of North america than 2 guys from russia.

looking at how he plays the game if ovechkin were canaidian or even american. he would have been hyped as jesus, mary, and joseph on skates

Old
01-07-2006, 03:59 AM
Flyguy_1ca

Send a message via ICQ to Flyguy_1ca
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pens Are Back
the reason why he is hyped so much is cause he is canadian.

the north american media protrayed him as the next one. canada fianlly had a player on par (if not better) than the last 2 (of 3) cant miss superstars that were drafted ovy and kovy.

this kid has been hyped since he was 14 cause canada wants one of their 'boys" to be the face of the NHL taking over for mario/gretz. he is a lot easier to market to the rest of North america than 2 guys from russia.

looking at how he plays the game if ovechkin were canaidian or even american. he would have been hyped as jesus, mary, and joseph on skates
Amen

Old
01-07-2006, 06:45 AM

It kind of reminds me of how much people hated Lemieux. Up until he had gotten cancer Lemieux was the anti-Gretzky. I remember in 1990 after Lemieux pulled himself from the Rangers game, snapping his point streak at 46, Paul Coffey pretty much told off the media about their treatment of Lemieux. Lemieux was no angel (one of the things that I've always liked about him) but the sports writers were downright vicious.

As for Crosby, I could care less what other fans think but some members of the media have jumped on the bashing bandwagon. The Atlanta play by play guy last night was like school on Sunday. I haven't seen or heard of Sid Crosby being anything but a first class person. Is he flawless? No but who is.

Old
01-07-2006, 06:55 AM
Philly Flyer Fan*

Here's what I believe to the whole problem with Crosby......

People did-like the guy because he's a yappy mouthy 18 yr old kid. The kid's got "ooooooooodles" of talent and truth be known, every team who would have had the 1st pick would have taken him.

Crosby is an awesome player but I think people are getting a little tired of the "antics".

For me, he kinda reminds me of a mix between Theo Fluery & Mathew Barnaby but obviously with much more talent. Interesting to see him and Malkin next year! It's gonna be like the good ol' days for you guys when it was Jagr and Lemieux.

Basically though..........................there is a tonne of jelousy around the league!

Old
01-07-2006, 08:42 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_servo
It doesn't get under my skin, to be honest, as I know most of it is born from jealousy.

Just went on the main board and had to sift through several stupid posts complaining about Crosby.

What annoys me is wasting my time, not really the Crosby bashing.

I would of posted this on the main board, but I don't really care what the ppl in there think. Was more interested in Pen's fans opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov
As just look at the way Mario used to carry himself on the ice in his young years and how much respect every one had for him...
I have to disagree with that. Mario was thrown alot of hate.

He also refused to put on the Pen's jersey, and I remember a few games where he actually went after officials. The one time he even came out of the box and tried to get Kerry Fraser, I believe.

Old
01-07-2006, 08:55 AM
boredmale

For me it's basically just the Canadian media shoving him down our throats. It really doesn't matter what team he was drafted by, or the fact they did a lottery to draft him and "my team" didn't win.

Going into the season i thought it unfair that AO didn't get any hype as a great rookie while all the attention was focused on Crosby so it almost becomes the case that you want AO to do good so the media will be quiet about Crosby's "greatness".

Quote:
I would of posted this on the main board, but I don't really care what the ppl in there think. Was more interested in Pen's fans opinions.
if you want a reason why people dislike Crosby why wouldn't you want to know what fans of different teams think? a therory is therory and fact is fact, most could care less because of what i stated above.

Quote:
He also refused to put on the Pen's jersey, and I remember a few games where he actually went after officials. The one time he even came out of the box and tried to get Kerry Fraser, I believe.
The refusing to put the jersey on definantly will lose you some marks(although least in his case it wasn't as bad as Baby Lindros). Trying to beat up Kerry Fraser will get you alot of fans. For Lemieux his image turned arround in Canada in the 1987 Canada Cup.

Last edited by boredmale: 01-07-2006 at 09:01 AM.
Old
01-07-2006, 09:20 AM
Va Beach Pens Fan

Absolute 100% envy...

If Crosby were playing on their team, they're opinion would change a full 180 degrees...

And if they won't admit to that, that's bovine feces....

Old
01-07-2006, 09:26 AM
Til the End of Time

Simply not responding to trolls would solve a lot of the problem, at least here on the Pens' board.

Old
01-07-2006, 09:31 AM
Colorado Avalanche

People are just jealous. I don't think they hate him. Everyone would love to have Sidney Crosby on their team.

Old
01-07-2006, 09:33 AM
Bruinster*

Send a message via ICQ to Bruinster*
As A Bruins fan I enjoy watching Crosby especialy agains the Habs

I don't understand the hate either

IMO jealousy and envy is the answer !

It's funny how people complain about how the NHL was boring but whine about Crosby and some others against Ovechkin two young stars who bring the best show on the ice ?

If i was a pens fan I'll proud others whine, more they whine more you know you've a special player !!!

Closed Thread