HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Florida @ New York-- 1/7 1 PM START

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2006, 10:21 PM
NYRGoalieGlut*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdflynn1
pretty close!
You're so modest. You got the score and two of the three scorers.

Old
01-07-2006, 10:23 PM
gdflynn1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRGoalieGlut
You're so modest. You got the score and two of the three scorers.
you must be one of those guys who need people to insert the sarcasm face for you to understand.

Old
01-07-2006, 10:25 PM
TheZherdev

Quote:
Renney is protecting Henke, plain and simple. Maybe over protecting. He doesnt want to feed him to the lions (which was the case against a then better Ottawa team but was not the case against a not-so-impressive Philly team). either way, i think thats all he is doing. What happens to henke f he gets sent out against ott and they hang a 6 spot on him? or, against philly, and he has a bad game. it would be terrible for him and his psyche.

Look, I know he hasnt shown any reason to worry about the mental part of the game but, he is a rookie, and to be honest, I think renney knows what he is doing. Although i also believe you are going to see Henke get the bulk of the games here on out AND i wouldnt be too surprised if they do in fact move Weekes.
The thing is, Lundsqvist goes unphased after poor performances and usually wants to play the best of his ability the game after a bad loss. (Ex: Lunds lets in 5 against Carolina a month ago. Couple days later he leads the team to a 4-1 win i think it was.) The kid is a fighter and i don't think he would have let in that many goals in against ottawa. 2 or 3 of those goals were softies by weekes.

Also to the other people that were saying weekes should have not have been booed at the garden the other night. All i can say is weekes is an ok goalie. At this stage of his career he is more of a backup. It was renneys fault that weekes was left out to dry. Also Fischler is a moron. Weekes was put out there to be showcased? Ya right. Out of all the teams to showcase him for you pick an offensive powerhouse to do it?

Old
01-07-2006, 10:30 PM
92hatchattack

OH HENRY!

Henrik is getting hot.... hes gonna be scary good. Lets sign him for the next 10 years.

LUNDQVIST!!!!

Old
01-07-2006, 10:57 PM
NYRGoalieGlut*

Quote:
you must be one of those guys who need people to insert the sarcasm face for you to understand.
I'm not one of those guys, in fact I hate those guys. At least I hate it when guys don't get understand obvious sarcasm. How am I supposed to know that you're not being modest in the situation? However I gave you credit for the virtue of modesty, guess you don't want to accept.

Old
01-07-2006, 11:44 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Weekes is what he is. I think he shouldn't be boo'd but part of this falls on Renney. Lundqvist has shown more and the fans have connected with him, but Renney insists on splitting the playing time.

What it really comes down to is two things. Renney needs to accept that Lundqvist is the number one goalie, not because he is younger and we all want him to be, but because he's playing like one of the top ten goalies in the league right now. The battle is over for now Tom, move on.

Secondly fans need to accept Weekes as a member of the team who has come in and given the Rangers a veteran wisdom and been supportive of his teammates. Weekes isn't Roy, he wasn't brought in to rebuild the franchise he was brought in to play some minutes as the Rangers figured out what Lundqvist was made of. He's done that and he's been a solid backup. The coach and fans just need to accept that now.
Spot on with your comments regarding Weekes. He's in a tough position (facing a transition from starter to veteran backup) and has been a good teammate about it. And yes, the fans at MSG should get off his case, but Renney also has to realize that he's contributed to the problem there. Renney (and Sather) have to realize that hockey fans here are very knowledgeable and are quick to criticize moves (loudly) that don't give the Rangers the best chance to win.

Old
01-08-2006, 12:13 AM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML
I don't think that is the problem, the problem is that Renney insists on playing Weekes in big must win games. No one thinks Lundqvist should start the next 40 games, but what other team starts what is clearly their backup against what are clearly better teams?
I agree and that's why I think part of this falls on Renney. Everyone knows Lundqvist is the number one goalie. But Weekes keeps playing games he shouldn't be playing and i think everyone is starting to get tired of it. So in that sense Renney is setting Weekes up to get boo'd. Not intentionally of course, but it's what has happened.

On the flip side of that, the fans shouldn't boo the guy. Weekes has no say in the matter and goes out there and tries to give it an honest effort. The reality is that he should be the backup and the situations he is being placed fails to benefit either himself, Lundy or the team.

Weekes just goes out there and does what he is told, unfortunatly it's not a decision of Renney's I happen to agree with.

Lundqvist is the number one guy, he should get played as the number one guy. Weekes should be used to give him a rest, keep him fresh and generally assist him. The math breakdown isn't what concerns me (for example i dont think there is a formula to this such as 3 starts for Lundy followed by a start for Weekes), what concerns me is that if this team is going to the playoffs it's going to be Lundy who should get the nod. Accordingly he should be the guy going against the top teams. When the Richter, Healy combo was at its peaks Richter was the clear cut number one guy. Healy was a valuable back-up who was known as The Road Warrior. His job was to compliment Richter in that way. What Renney and the Rangers need to do is figure out how to best utilize Weekes as a backup. Find a way that he benefits from his role, the team benefits, his goaltending partner benefits and the fans respect him for it.

For all the talk of a goaltending battle, IMO this one has been over since about the second week of the season. The fact that we're still playing this game in January is a bit frustrating and i think that's where the fans anger is coming from.

Old
01-08-2006, 01:43 AM
Bubba64

Send a message via ICQ to Bubba64
Who hit the post after Olesz chance ??? Rucinsky or Prucha?? I cant remember THX

Old
01-08-2006, 02:32 AM
Draft Guru

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba64
Who hit the post after Olesz chance ??? Rucinsky or Prucha?? I cant remember THX
I believe that was Rucinsky

Old
01-08-2006, 08:42 AM
Fletch

That all falls on Renney...

from day 1 he insisted on Weekes being the number one goalie. Later he still insisted the same when it was clear Lundqvist was. Then he softened his stance, but never came out and explicitly said Lundqvist was the #1. Then he says he'll go with who wins. Then the hot hand. It's been very poorly managed and handled from day 1.

And you're 1000% correct Edge (that's not a typo on the extr zero). We should not be talking about this in January, and people shouldn't be booing, although as I believe you or SML said, Renney's putting him in a position in which he will be booed. Hopefully Renney will soon 'get it' - this is one of those no-brainer - up there with giving Jagr 20 minutes of ice time per night.

Old
01-08-2006, 08:48 AM
Fletch

gdflynn...

Renney's protecting Lundqvist from what? He excelled in the Swedish league, and excelled last season against tougher than normal competition. He's played on an international stage. He's not a kid, even though this is his first NHL season. I don't know him, but he seems to be very strong mentally, very mature, and very competitive. He's played well in most every outing. From what is he protecting? I've been saying that the kid gloves should coming off for months. I don't get it. Patrick Roy started 47 games as a 20 year old - and appeared in 20 freakin' playoff games that season. Brodeur just turned 22 after Matteau! Matteau! Stephane Matteau! Think that scarred Marty for life? I understand the need to put kids into positions in which they will succeed - Lundqvist's skills, determination, and everything about him show that he's special and he has succeeded. Let the kid play.

Old
01-08-2006, 10:31 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

No boos is good boos for Tom Poti I guess.

He has been playing a far more physical game as of late, and most physical game to date. His mini-scrap around the Rangers net in the 3rd with Jozef Stumpel was most enjoyable. Did I see Poti shake the gloves?

Old
01-08-2006, 11:04 AM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev
No boos is good boos for Tom Poti I guess.

He has been playing a far more physical game as of late, and most physical game to date. His mini-scrap around the Rangers net in the 3rd with Jozef Stumpel was most enjoyable. Did I see Poti shake the gloves?
That was with Gary Roberts

Old
01-08-2006, 12:18 PM
gdflynn1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
Renney's protecting Lundqvist from what? He excelled in the Swedish league, and excelled last season against tougher than normal competition. He's played on an international stage. He's not a kid, even though this is his first NHL season. I don't know him, but he seems to be very strong mentally, very mature, and very competitive. He's played well in most every outing. From what is he protecting? I've been saying that the kid gloves should coming off for months. I don't get it. Patrick Roy started 47 games as a 20 year old - and appeared in 20 freakin' playoff games that season. Brodeur just turned 22 after Matteau! Matteau! Stephane Matteau! Think that scarred Marty for life? I understand the need to put kids into positions in which they will succeed - Lundqvist's skills, determination, and everything about him show that he's special and he has succeeded. Let the kid play.

I completely agree. I was only offering my thoughts on any kind of logical reasoning Renney might be using. That's why I inlcuded the "overprotecting" part. And I don't mind it either because if you think playing Lundqvist against everyone will win us the Atlantic than give me some of what you are smoking.

Old
01-09-2006, 10:13 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

The only goalie decision i've had a problem with was the starter against Philly, but I understand from the Coaches pov, rewarding Weekes for his first start in Philly, the opener.

Looks like Renney or whoever makes these decisions is looking to get Henrik's confidence up at just the right time. Henke and Weekes split until about mid-season, then right before the Olympics Lundqvist starts getting the duties of a #1. It makes sense, get the guy thinking and playing in the #1 role just as things start to get interesting.

Say what you want about what our coaches have done this year, they've got me feeling confident about their decisions for the first time in 7 or 8 years.

Old
01-09-2006, 10:15 AM
Fletch

You really understand that, Bluenote?

it was three months ago - the first game of the season. Both teams have changed a bit since then, especially Philly. Lundqvist has emerged since then. AND, Weekes gave up three goals. I still don't understand. I didn't like the Ottawa decision either,

Old
01-09-2006, 10:20 AM
sickboy35

Quote:

that might be some of the best examples of this conversation! good points fletch!

Old
01-09-2006, 10:52 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
it was three months ago - the first game of the season. Both teams have changed a bit since then, especially Philly. Lundqvist has emerged since then. AND, Weekes gave up three goals. I still don't understand. I didn't like the Ottawa decision either,
That first game must've meant something to the team/coaches cause they obviously were still thinking about it. Also, Weekes may have a winning record against Philly in his career which might've played into it somewhat.

I like that Philly and the Sens have not had to face Henke yet, it'll only help down the road.

Old
01-09-2006, 04:55 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
That first game must've meant something to the team/coaches cause they obviously were still thinking about it. Also, Weekes may have a winning record against Philly in his career which might've played into it somewhat.

I like that Philly and the Sens have not had to face Henke yet, it'll only help down the road.
They also haven't seen Orr, who would make a diffference against them

Old
01-09-2006, 05:05 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

The only thing I can thing of is that Renney might be protecting him because of the Olympics. Fearing that if Sweden goes far, that's an extra set of HIGH intensity games for Lundqvist.

I can understand that, but it still doesn't explain some of the teams he's throwing Weekes in there against.

Old
01-09-2006, 05:11 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue
They also haven't seen Orr, who would make a diffference against them
Hey, this is exciting.

We may actually have a player's agent posting on our board.

I hope when and if he gets a chance he plays well.

Old
01-09-2006, 05:18 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor
Hey, this is exciting.

We may actually have a player's agent posting on our board.

I hope when and if he gets a chance he plays well.
Lol. Call me a fan of tough, physical hockey...not this ***** brand I've been introduced to by the new Rangers. That's better than Orr's agent. If we had Barnaby or Simon or a few tough guys, then screw Orr

Closed Thread