HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Welcome to North America, Tuomo Ruutu

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2003, 08:14 PM
Dupuis>Ilya

vCash: 500
Welcome to North America, Tuomo Ruutu

More specifically, welcome to Garnet Exelby's right hand. Poor Mr. Best-Player-in-the-World got a beatdown tonight, courtesy of Mr. Exelby. Better luck in choosing your dance partner next time, kid.

On a related note, that was a piss poor showing by the Hawks tonight. That kind of running-the-goalie, sucker-punching-star-players garbage belongs in the minors. With Zhamnov and Daze gone, Chicago's marketing slogan ought to be: "ECHL Hockey at NHL Prices!"

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com.../mdf387182.jpg

Old
10-18-2003, 08:16 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I was very dissapointed in the game tonight

Old
10-18-2003, 08:47 PM
shveik

The only thing that picture is missing is "Mommy!" coming out of Ruutu's mouth.

Old
10-18-2003, 08:53 PM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's not on it.

The only highlights I've ever seen of Exelby, he's feeding somebody a knuckle sandwich. I can't help but think that maybe Ruutu should shell out a few bucks for deluxe cable so that he'll know who not to drop gloves with.

Scrapping with Exelby seems about as smart as checking for propane leaks with a lighter.

Old
10-18-2003, 09:38 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
Scrapping with Exelby seems about as smart as checking for propane leaks with a lighter.
You may be right, but it shows the kid isn't afraid. I like it when young, star players fight. Shows they give a damn.

Old
10-18-2003, 09:44 PM
lux_interior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
You may be right, but it shows the kid isn't afraid. I like it when young, star players fight. Shows they give a damn.
Yeah? Lindros wasn't afraid of Kasparitis or Stevens. Granted, it's not fighting, but sometimes it pays to pick your spots.

Old
10-18-2003, 09:51 PM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's not on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Well, there's a fine line between brave and stupid.

Old
10-18-2003, 09:53 PM
MaV

Looking at you comments it looks like Ruutu has to learn something about North American game then...

You know, here players do what they have to do. If there is a fight you just have to go with it. If that means you'll get beaten then it's not good you for you, but who cares, you can't play hockey if you can't take some punishment.

Old
10-18-2003, 10:47 PM
Wingboy2999

Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
Maybe he just wanted to go. What started the fight? And yes, it shows he actually has guts. Isn't Exelby a lot bigger then him?

Old
10-19-2003, 03:20 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingboy2999
Maybe he just wanted to go. What started the fight? And yes, it shows he actually has guts. Isn't Exelby a lot bigger then him?
No Exelby is 6'1" 200 lbs and Ruutu 6'2" 195 lbs, so even contest.

I give the guy compliments for dropping the gloves and that's why I don't like the title of this thread at all, as if there are only Exelby's in North-America ? Too bad for Ruutu and next time there are new chances and new prices.

Old
10-19-2003, 05:09 AM
Voynich

Everyone was looking for a dancing partner at that point. In fact, I was surprised Pasi didn't skate down the ice and smack Leighton around a few times. I'd hardly say that X "jumped" Ruutu. Ruutu was looking for someone to tangle with and he made a bad choice.

Old
10-19-2003, 05:15 AM
Epoch

Regardless, good showing by Ruutu that he isn't afraid to fight, especially a guy like Garnet Exelby.

Old
10-19-2003, 05:59 AM
Hoot

I remember when Markus Naslund was a rookie with Pittsburgh and some goon decided to "welcome" him to the NHL. Markus barely even turtled but mostly simply soaked up the punches. It was ugly in a weird kind of way. To me the goon was the one that embarrased himself, it was like he was slapping his sister around.

Old
10-19-2003, 07:39 AM
aylib
User and abuser

Send a message via Yahoo to aylib
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot
I remember when Markus Naslund was a rookie with Pittsburgh and some goon decided to "welcome" him to the NHL. Markus barely even turtled but mostly simply soaked up the punches. It was ugly in a weird kind of way. To me the goon was the one that embarrased himself, it was like he was slapping his sister around.
I dont really know how the Isles-Rangers scrum started where Stock was fighiting Czerkawski, but that fight itself was pretty disturbing as well, especially if you take into account what followed.

Old
10-19-2003, 07:48 AM
Stuy

Actually my boy got a few shots in even if he did come out looking worse than Ex. At least he sticks up for his teamates.

10-19-2003, 08:00 AM
GB

vCash: 707
Send a message via ICQ to GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot
You mean the Cunneyworth-Naslund fight? It was kind of odd with Naslund just taking the punches, he didn't even really try to defend himself, just took it.

Liam

Old
10-19-2003, 08:06 AM
Hoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB Editor
You mean the Cunneyworth-Naslund fight? It was kind of odd with Naslund just taking the punches, he didn't even really try to defend himself, just took it.

Liam
Yeah that must be the one. I don't remember who the guy was that pommeled Naslund but it was really weird to watch. To call it a "fight" is definitely a misnomer.

Old
10-19-2003, 08:53 AM
I_r_1337

I don't get soem of you people...You say Euro's are soft and scared of North American hockey then they fight and lose(which everyone does once in awhile) and you ***** at him for losing. Cmoe on grow up it's hockey everyone loses fights. At least he's got the guts to stand up for himself unlike a lot of star players/prospects in the league.

Old
10-19-2003, 08:59 AM
Stuy

Hawks play Nashville tonight. Even though the Hawks will lose #5 in a row. Tootoo and Ruutu should be fun to watch.

Old
10-19-2003, 09:02 AM
Douggy

Just wondering: Did Ruutu have his jersey tied down?

Old
10-19-2003, 09:04 AM
Stuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douggy
Just wondering: Did Ruutu have his jersey tied down?
He must of it didn't come off in the fight.

Old
10-19-2003, 09:05 AM
LaVal

Jarkko got whooped in his first fights as well. he adapted and is now a pretty decent fighter.

Old
10-19-2003, 10:19 AM
who_me?

The more I watch Ruutu play, the more I think that he really is in way over his head. This guy seems to really believe the hype around him and really thinks that he is this 6'2" superman. if so, this beatdown will be the first of many disappointments for him this year.

Old
10-19-2003, 10:27 AM
Stuy

People relax. He's played five game and he plays on a very bad team. What do you want him to do carry the team on his back? It's his first season. Remind me again of how Bertuzzi did in his first season???????????? Look at him now.

Old
10-19-2003, 10:31 AM
Mathias
Fighting Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by who_me?
The more I watch Ruutu play, the more I think that he really is in way over his head. This guy seems to really believe the hype around him and really thinks that he is this 6'2" superman. if so, this beatdown will be the first of many disappointments for him this year.
Yea, I mean he has played 5 games. Where are the 102 points he should have by now. Its silly, the kid cannot get any points on the board. Plus he skates around hitting everyone in sight, who dose he think he is? And on the great Blackhawk team he should have atleast 10-15 points by now, I mean its not like the Hawks are a bad team. And what about getting into a fight, and then lose. I mean I have never seen anyone lose a fight before, Ruutu is the first in the world to lose a fight in the NHL. Its like he has never fought before, how can he then lose to a proven fighter. Thats just lame. The kid needs to go back to finland and play in the finnish league, as he has no future in the NHL. 0 points in 5 games... he is a bust.

Closed Thread