HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Welcome to North America, Tuomo Ruutu

Closed Thread

Old
10-19-2003, 11:35 AM
H-Bear

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Probert #24
Yea, I mean he has played 5 games. Where are the 102 points he should have by now. Its silly, the kid cannot get any points on the board. Plus he skates around hitting everyone in sight, who dose he think he is? And on the great Blackhawk team he should have atleast 10-15 points by now, I mean its not like the Hawks are a bad team. And what about getting into a fight, and then lose. I mean I have never seen anyone lose a fight before, Ruutu is the first in the world to lose a fight in the NHL. Its like he has never fought before, how can he then lose to a proven fighter. Thats just lame. The kid needs to go back to finland and play in the finnish league, as he has no future in the NHL. 0 points in 5 games... he is a bust.

Now, THAT'S sarcasm !!!!

Old
10-19-2003, 11:51 AM
MentalPowerHouse

I really enjoyed Rob Blakes hip/butt check on him in the Avs game, thought that was more of a welcome to the league.

I think its a good sign for him to fight, all rookies in the league need to show that they can't be taken advantage of and abused.

Old
10-19-2003, 12:42 PM
KariyaIsGod*

Who cares?

Fighting is stupid anyway. Why would you want one of your best players to possibly hurt his hand and sit off for 5 minutes just to prove he can defend himself?

Prove it in a nice gang fight out back after the game... That's what seperates the boys from the men!

Old
10-19-2003, 01:06 PM
struckmatch

I hope that shut up Tuomo's ego, and his stupid agent. Best player in the world my - Well, it was fun to watch Exelby pound that cocky kid...

Old
10-19-2003, 01:42 PM
shveik

This picture suggests that Ruutu at least held his own.

Old
10-19-2003, 01:47 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

I also notice he has his thumb in his handpalm. You could break your thumb that way.

Old
10-19-2003, 02:06 PM
Mathias
Fighting Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck you
I hope that shut up Tuomo's ego, and his stupid agent. Best player in the world my - Well, it was fun to watch Exelby pound that cocky kid...
What ego, have you even read/seen an interview with Ruutu? Or you are just going by third hand gossip?

Every interview i have read and/or heard with Ruutu, gives me the impression that he is a nice down to earth kid. Not cocky at all. His agent throws out one stupid quote, and all of the sudden everyone hates Ruutus guts due to something he did not even say or agree with.

Old
10-19-2003, 02:30 PM
Teemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Probert #24
Every interview i have read and/or heard with Ruutu, gives me the impression that he is a nice down to earth kid. Not cocky at all. His agent throws out one stupid quote, and all of the sudden everyone hates Ruutus guts due to something he did not even say or agree with.
His agent didnt even throw out that quote. TSN did.

Old
10-19-2003, 05:30 PM
-HIFK-

vCash:
Quote:
Originally posted by puck you
I don´t know if I should feel sorry for you, but I certainly feel sorry for Tuomo that there are people who feel that way about him. It just shows how people can be mislead by the media, while in fact they have no clue.

I know Tuomo personally, and I have never known a person who is so humble and down to earth. And I´m not exaggerating at all. Second, I have never met an athlete who works with Tuomo´s commitment and attitude. And he does it all for the team. He would be willing to die on the ice if it meant his team would win. But no matter what he has done or achieved, he has been a down-to-earth kid throughout.

You see him as a cocky European player coming over thinking he´ll dominate the league. You couldn´t be more wrong. I see him as he is. The same guy he was at the age of 15, always doing his best, but never making a big deal about himself. He has been a star here playing for HIFK, and a star playing for Finland in the World junior Championships. Never, absolutely not ever, has Tuomo´s attitude changed one inch towards cockiness. Believe me when I tell you, Tuomo is the last person to start acting like he´s something special. I know this.

All those stories about Tuomo thinking he´s the best player or that he´s worth more than any other rookie, absolutely not true. I have never heard Tuomo saying it, or even caught him thinking about anything like that. The cockiest comment to have come out of Tuomo´s mouth would be something like "I´ll try to do my best in the NHL, but we´ll see how it goes." And again, I´m being totally honest with you. Even playing here in the Finnish league, where he had already established himself, he never referred to himself as anything. It has always been all about his team´s success. He´s just a family-loving quiet young man, who loves the game.

My apologies to all you anti-Tuomo people, that I went on about him for so long. But it just irritates me more than you can imagine, that the nicest person (not only the nicest athlete, but person) that I know, has been labelled by something his agent has (or hasn´t) said in the papers. And all you people who do like Tuomo, and maybe haven´t gotten to "know" him yet, I´m telling you you´ll love him. I can´t even explain it. He´s just an exceptionally talented and sincere person. And he´s always happy! A real joy to hang around with.

By the way. While I´ve been writing this, Tuomo has just scored his first NHL-goal. Listening to the game via the Internet, chills went down my spine when I heard the words... Tuomo Ruutu scores!!

Old
10-19-2003, 05:32 PM
Mathias
Fighting Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by -HIFK-
By the way. While I´ve been writing this, Tuomo has just scored his first NHL-goal. Listening to the game via the Internet, chills went down my spine when I heard the words... Tuomo Ruutu scores!!
Hehe, yea I was also listening to the game. And I got a simular feeling. Woho, Ruutu scores and then a big

Old
10-19-2003, 05:35 PM
Stuy

I was watching the game and it was a beauty for his first. Man I jumped up when that went in. It was a bullet.

10-19-2003, 05:38 PM
Stuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirtzsucks
I was watching the game and it was a beauty for his first. Man I jumped up when that went in. It was a bullet.
Basically I jumped up and yelled "YOUR MY BOY RU!"

Old
10-19-2003, 05:44 PM
CNote
Get 'er done

congrats tuomo and hawks fans!!!! that shoud shut up the nay-sayers for atleast a day...lol.

Old
10-19-2003, 06:06 PM
Epoch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3
I also notice he has his thumb in his handpalm. You could break your thumb that way.
Quite easily.

Old
10-19-2003, 06:10 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

So now a guy is getting criticized for stepping up and fighting someone tougher than him, because he lost?

Personally, I think there are many people just looking to slam Ruutu no matter what he does, they just need to invent some absurd new angle to do it.

Old
10-19-2003, 07:07 PM
Dupuis>Ilya

It's not so much Ruutu that inspired me to start this thread, but the entire Hawks team and their cheap ways - Ruutu just bore the brunt of my wrath (though he did deserve a beatdown after leaving his feet to board one of our guys from behind.) Saturday night's display of thuggery was an embarrasment to the league. Jason Strudwick was the worst, charging and flattening our goalie after a faceoff when the puck was nowhere near the crease.

Old
10-19-2003, 07:32 PM
dougd

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck you
Can only guess that you might be a Canuck's fan, seeing you're from VAN, so:

Ruutu for Allen or Umberger.....deal??

PS. Don't reply if you're turning it down unless you want to give readers something to laugh about.

Old
10-19-2003, 09:23 PM
KariyaIsGod*

When it's all said and done, Ruutu will have a far better career than Exelby anyway. No matter how well Exelby fights, Ruuutu always will have at least one thing over him... Talent.

Old
10-20-2003, 01:15 AM
psycho_dad

Quote:
Actually it looks like his thumb is caught in his shirt (look at the shirt).

Anyway, some people are totally clueless about Ruutu. A great kid, down to earth, and some total morons still keep calling him an egoist. Must be those people who voted for Bush...who care more about the size and presentation of a rumour than the actual substance or truth.

Old
10-20-2003, 02:14 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad
Actually it looks like his thumb is caught in his shirt (look at the shirt).

Yes you're right, I didn't notice that.

Old
10-20-2003, 09:42 AM
Caspar Gomez

vCash:
Quote:
No Exelby is 6'1" 200 lbs and Ruutu 6'2" 195 lbs, so even contest.

I give the guy compliments for dropping the gloves and that's why I don't like the title of this thread at all, as if there are only Exelby's in North-America ? Too bad for Ruutu and next time there are new chances and new prices.
Ruutu goes about 5-11 maybe 200 tops. Exelby is closer to 6-3 than 6-1 and maybe around 225.

Funny how an undersized guy early in his career like a Roenick is lauded as being gutsy and feisty for doing the same type of thing, yet the same people would call Ruutu stupid.

Old
10-20-2003, 09:45 AM
aylib
User and abuser

Send a message via Yahoo to aylib
Quote:
There is no way he would do that, I am sure its just the angle we re seeing ti from.

Old
10-20-2003, 10:24 AM
-HIFK-

vCash:
Tuomo´s goal last night was pretty nice, now that I´ve had the chance to see it over here.

Not a very typical goal for him, since he doesn´t use his wrist very often from that "far" out. Hopefully he´ll start using it more, because he´s certainly got the hands for it. Hopefully he won´t break those hands fighting with guys like Exelby.

Closed Thread