HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 4)

Old
06-20-2016, 10:55 AM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

vCash: 500
UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 4)

With only 6 exh games, teams have to make some tough decisions.

With UNB playing McGill on the 23rd and two(2) NCAA games in the US - it leaves 1 game before the season starts if you assume 2 games at Christmas for the Pete Kelly Cup.

If they try for a 3rd US team (AHL - Albany, Springfield, Providance or Hartford or UMaine) we won't see a game until the home opener.

--
Here is the link to Part III

Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2016, 11:08 AM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Tyler Carroll's F-Bomb

Yup - it just slipped right into the conversation as natural as 'eh'.

Tyler Carroll Swearing on National Television

Old
06-20-2016, 03:40 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Can a MOD sticky this thread? You can probably also 'un-sticky' the STU one as they no longer have a team. Thanks.

UNB Bruins Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2016, 11:44 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
Yup - it just slipped right into the conversation as natural as 'eh'.

Tyler Carroll Swearing on National Television
That's how hockey players talk in real life, so why not ...

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2016, 09:24 PM
Rob

Quote:
If they try for a 3rd US team (AHL - Albany, Springfield, Providance or Hartford or UMaine) we won't see a game until the home opener.
Do you think they would actually forgo any pre-season exhibition games to have another one on the road?

I would be surprised if we didn't have at least one game at home. Then again the preseason exhibition games tend to draw flies so they might decide it is better to get paid to play NCAA teams.

Last edited by Rob: 06-21-2016 at 09:30 PM.
Rob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2016, 05:43 PM
Rob

Just heard that Rob Mignardi has been accepted to UNB Law.

Old
06-22-2016, 08:50 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Good news.

I have heard from a few people now that St. FX defenseman Trey Lewis will sit out this year before transferring to UNB. Again, this is just what I have heard so I don't know how much truth there is to the rumour.

Old
06-23-2016, 08:15 AM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
Good news.

I have heard from a few people now that St. FX defenseman Trey Lewis will sit out this year before transferring to UNB. Again, this is just what I have heard so I don't know how much truth there is to the rumour.
Maybe he wants to go to school closer to home?

He is not in Engineering, which is a common reason student-athletes transfer from StFX to UNB or Dal, but Business. Curious.

He plays a more hard-nose game than almost all of the UNB D-men, which would probably be an asset.

Old
06-23-2016, 04:18 PM
freddy123

NHL Dev Camps

Looks like Murray, Petgrave and Beauvillier are off to NHL development camps this year.

Last edited by freddy123: 06-23-2016 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Added tweet
freddy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2016, 11:09 AM
AUS Fan

Quote:
Good news.

I heard from a good AUS source that this is a done deal. Lewis is not going back to X next season. Unsure where he will sit out his year.

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2016, 01:00 PM
radapex

vCash: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by freddy123 View Post
Looks like Murray, Petgrave and Beauvillier are off to NHL development camps this year.

Tough team to crack for Petgrave, but he's definitely worth a look for a team so focused on speed and puck movement.

I could definitely see Toronto and Columbus pursuing Murray and Beauvillier beyond the development camps. Both guys play styles that'll translate well to the pros.

radapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2016, 02:38 PM
AUS Fan

Murray is the only bona fide pro in the group. I could see him getting a one-way AHL gig, maybe not with the Marlies. I don't think Petter and B-ville have what it takes at that level. But, you never know.

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2016, 04:01 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
Murray is the only bona fide pro in the group. I could see him getting a one-way AHL gig, maybe not with the Marlies. I don't think Petter and B-ville have what it takes at that level. But, you never know.
I think Frank could have a shot. He's improved every year and he certainly has the speed. He's a 3rd line guy with a lot of upside. Depends on what they're looking for.

These camps are really a quick 'look-see' as to whether they want to invite the player to the September Rookie camp. I hope they all come back, but wish them the best if they get an AHL contract.

Old
06-30-2016, 10:08 AM
radapex

vCash: 128
Quote:
I think Frank could have a shot. He's improved every year and he certainly has the speed. He's a 3rd line guy with a lot of upside. Depends on what they're looking for.

These camps are really a quick 'look-see' as to whether they want to invite the player to the September Rookie camp. I hope they all come back, but wish them the best if they get an AHL contract.
I could see FB being the next Joel Ward, so to speak. A guy who needed more time to mature, and eventually goes on to have a good pro career.

radapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2016, 08:58 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

FWIW...the AUC ice schedule is showing an exhibition game against UPEI on September 19th.

Old
07-06-2016, 08:59 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
I don't know if there are many players in the AUS that have Beauvillier's combination of size, speed, and skill. I expect a big year out of him this year.

Old
07-07-2016, 03:06 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
FWIW...the AUC ice schedule is showing an exhibition game against UPEI on September 19th.
Also - the AUC Schedule has most of the month of July blocked off for LED Light installation - Whoa ho - new lights

Old
07-08-2016, 11:14 AM
Rob

Quote:
Have to admit that I am a little disappointed it isn't an out of conference team.

Old
07-08-2016, 01:57 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Also - the AUC Schedule has most of the month of July blocked off for LED Light installation - Whoa ho - new lights
AUC is so dark so glad they are putting lights in. When I played UNB intramural hockey at the AUC, it was so dark it was hard to see the puck on the ice.

SnipeShow91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2016, 08:10 AM
FreddtFoyle

I have been pushing them for years to improve the lights, as it would improve the view in the rink, but more importantly, improve the light levels for TV, webcasts and photos. But got no where.

I worked out a rough draft of a plan for LED lighting this winter, but found out the AUC was already on it, and had it planned for a couple of years, depending on the budget.

The payback for LED lighting in energy savings is often less than five years, depending on how busy your building is, so a real no-brainer. The other huge benefit is that LED lights come on immediately, so you don't have to wait for them to "warm up" if you have them off for a pre-game or intermission event. Less of a deal at the AUC, but could really benefit the Metro Centre (I know it has a new name ...) in Halifax.

Last edited by FreddtFoyle: 07-11-2016 at 08:13 AM. Reason: instant on
Old
07-11-2016, 07:38 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
I have been pushing them for years to improve the lights, as it would improve the view in the rink, but more importantly, improve the light levels for TV, webcasts and photos. But got no where.

I worked out a rough draft of a plan for LED lighting this winter, but found out the AUC was already on it, and had it planned for a couple of years, depending on the budget.

The payback for LED lighting in energy savings is often less than five years, depending on how busy your building is, so a real no-brainer. The other huge benefit is that LED lights come on immediately, so you don't have to wait for them to "warm up" if you have them off for a pre-game or intermission event. Less of a deal at the AUC, but could really benefit the Metro Centre (I know it has a new name ...) in Halifax.
I'm really keen on seeing how bright the arena will be. If it's even half as close as UMaine it'll be great. Hopefully this translates into better streaming and TV picture.

Old
07-13-2016, 08:27 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Either UNB really clamped down on the recruiting leaks or they aren't bringing in anyone this year lol...usually we hear some rumours but things have been very quiet so far this summer.

Old
07-13-2016, 10:39 PM
Finder24

Quote:
Either UNB really clamped down on the recruiting leaks or they aren't bringing in anyone this year lol...usually we hear some rumours but things have been very quiet so far this summer.
It's a bit of both.

As far as I know, they have 4 recruits. One of which is Trey Lewis from StFX who will sit out a year due to transfer rules. The other three, (1D, 2F) are all QMJHLers. They won't knock your socks off, but UNB doesn't need a ton of reinforcement.

At this point, I'm just waiting to hear from UNB as to when they want it all to go public. It was hinted to me that there will be publicized info by late July.

For what it's worth, I think their best recruit will be recruited over the Christmas break of the coming season for 2nd semester.

Finder24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2016, 01:12 PM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Gardiner likes to delay his recruiting announcements as long as possible, to ensure that they are locked down, so no sooner than the UNB summer hockey school starts for sure.

My guess for clues for the players to be announced would be the high-value local kids who finished the Q, haven't signed a pro deal yet, and haven't been announced by anyone else yet. There is certainly a good d-man in that pool.

Old
07-14-2016, 01:13 PM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finder24 View Post
For what it's worth, I think their best recruit will be recruited over the Christmas break of the coming season for 2nd semester.
One of Gardiner's strengths, every season ...