HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 4)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-02-2016, 07:50 PM
  #76
rethinking
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 117
vCash: 500
I don't condone the "reported" UNB on ice and off ice behaviour but the often very one sided NCAA officiating has to be very frustrating for the players. It would be interesting to hear from an unbiased scout or two about the game. That's a significant number of misconducts!
It would also be interesting for someone to tabulate the penalty calls and penalty minutes in this weekend's exhibition games.

rethinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2016, 08:02 PM
  #77
Prov1X
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Fredericton NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 469
vCash: 500
I have no doubt in my mind that officiating played a major role in all of this, I have been down there and seen first hand how teams north of the border are treated. Prime example, from today's game, Thomas was given a 2 min boarding, a 5 min FV (Face wash violation) and a game misconduct. I didn't see the face wash, but I did see what they called boarding, first, it looked like a clean hit, second, it wasn't even Thomas who hit the player, it was Willick!

Prov1X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2016, 11:19 PM
  #78
Finder24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 61
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rethinking View Post
I don't condone the "reported" UNB on ice and off ice behaviour but the often very one sided NCAA officiating has to be very frustrating for the players. It would be interesting to hear from an unbiased scout or two about the game. That's a significant number of misconducts!
It would also be interesting for someone to tabulate the penalty calls and penalty minutes in this weekend's exhibition games.
I chatted briefly with a scout this morning who said he thought the officiating was ridiculous, but also thought some of UNB's behaviour on ice was very undisciplined.

As for the whole Marcoux incident, I personally have no idea what happened, but UNB is vehemently denying Marcoux swung his stick at anyone, and the scout I spoke with said he never swung his stick either.

Not sure what to make of it all, but either way, I don't think it's going to change much.

Finder24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2016, 11:30 PM
  #79
Rob
Registered User
 
Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,100
vCash: 500
I was mulling through the possible Pete Kelly Cup opponents.
Interestingly enough I looked at the OUA schedule and they actually have the tournament listed. So there can be no doubt that it will be an OUA opponent.

http://oua.ca/sports/mice/2016-17/schedule


I would like to see a real quality opponent. Either Carleton, UQTR or McGill.
Considering UNB is hosting the nationals this year I would think that they would want to test themselves against the Vreds in exhibition action before a potential meeting at the tournament.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2016, 11:00 AM
  #80
Drummer
Better Red than Dead
 
Drummer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Freddy Beach, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,095
vCash: 500
US Officiating is a lot more unforgiving and bias, at least from what I've seen of the games Foyle and I have gone to.

Now, UNB is an aggressive team so I expect UNB to get a few penalties, but Saturday's game was a bit 'over the top'. The Ref's must not have liked the 'talking' after the whistle and were handing out Misconducts like there were Halloween candy.

Hockey East has added rules to their book we don't have. 'Face-Wash' and 'Hitting after the whistle' being two of them. In Canada we are instructed to give a double-minor for 'Contact to the head' or a Major if it was intentional. The choice of penalty for a Face-wash is left to the referee's discretion - but you have to call one of the them (or just ignore it as if it didn't really happen).

The 'hitting after the whistle' is just a 'roughing' call here.

I didn't watch the game, but it looks like the refs tried to control the game (using misconducts to sit guys for 10min) which added to the problem. Also, Canadian teams play a much more physical game which they don't see often and react with a penalty for clean hits.

I recall a game in Maine where Harty crashed the net, with the puck, and he got a Roughing the Goalie call when the goalie stood his ground and was knocked over. Maine does it and the goal stands?

Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2016, 02:02 PM
  #81
Drummer
Better Red than Dead
 
Drummer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Freddy Beach, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
No Murray, Murphy, Petgrave, Clapperton, or Beauvillier today??
vs Merrimack
Francis Beauvillier: MAJOR - HITTING FROM BEHIND
Jordan Murray: MAJOR - CONTACT TO THE HEAD
Jordan Murray: MATCH - DISQUALIFICATION
Etienne Marcoux: MAJOR - SLASHING

Not sure about the rest.

Also not sure how the MATCH to Murray will impact his eligibility for Friday.

New Hampshire
Mike Thomas: MAJOR - FIGHT

So, I'm pretty sure we won't be seeing Thomas on Friday

Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2016, 04:22 PM
  #82
UNB Bruins Fan
Registered User
 
UNB Bruins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I was mulling through the possible Pete Kelly Cup opponents.
Interestingly enough I looked at the OUA schedule and they actually have the tournament listed. So there can be no doubt that it will be an OUA opponent.

http://oua.ca/sports/mice/2016-17/schedule


I would like to see a real quality opponent. Either Carleton, UQTR or McGill.
Considering UNB is hosting the nationals this year I would think that they would want to test themselves against the Vreds in exhibition action before a potential meeting at the tournament.
Personally, I would like to see a team that we haven't seen at the AUC in awhile. We have seen lots of those three teams mentioned over the past few years (and McGill this year). I wouldn't mind a Western or Queen's, or even Guelph/Waterloo/York as they all had pretty good years last year...although they are all probably a level below the teams mentioned above and UNB might be looking to aim a bit higher.


Last edited by UNB Bruins Fan: 10-03-2016 at 04:59 PM.
UNB Bruins Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2016, 06:31 PM
  #83
Prov1X
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Fredericton NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post

New Hampshire
Mike Thomas: MAJOR - FIGHT

So, I'm pretty sure we won't be seeing Thomas on Friday
Are you sure about the fighting major, on the boxscore it listed a 2:00 boarding, a 5:00 FV (which is a Face Wash Violation) and a game misconduct. Like I said before, it wasn't even Thomas who threw the hit that started the whole scrum. It was Willick that laid the player out!

Prov1X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2016, 06:40 PM
  #84
UNB Bruins Fan
Registered User
 
UNB Bruins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prov1X View Post
Prime example, from today's game, Thomas was given a 2 min boarding, a 5 min FV (Face wash violation) and a game misconduct. I didn't see the face wash, but I did see what they called boarding, first, it looked like a clean hit, second, it wasn't even Thomas who hit the player, it was Willick!
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought it was Willick who threw that hit (personally, I thought it was a bit late - which is unlike him - and probably warranted an interference penalty at the very least). I thought for a minute maybe I was going senile.


Last edited by UNB Bruins Fan: 10-03-2016 at 06:57 PM.
UNB Bruins Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2016, 06:42 PM
  #85
UNB Bruins Fan
Registered User
 
UNB Bruins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,520
vCash: 500
Provided everyone is healthy for Friday (which is probably unlikely)...what does everyone think will be the line-up? With a full complement of 22 players it means 4 guys (most likely 3 F and 1D) will be in the stands.

Also, when should we expect the Gleaner's AUS Preview, Wednesday?


Last edited by UNB Bruins Fan: 10-03-2016 at 06:59 PM.
UNB Bruins Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2016, 09:36 PM
  #86
rethinking
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 117
vCash: 500
The NCAA exhibition games basically offer teams a great opportunity to practice penalty killing and self control in a hostile environment. Even positive results don't count in final CIS rankings.

rethinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2016, 07:51 AM
  #87
FreddtFoyle
Registered User
 
FreddtFoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
Also, when should we expect the Gleaner's AUS Preview, Wednesday?
Last I heard, Bruce Hallihan's annual AUS preview will be in Wednesday's Gleaner.

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2016, 12:08 PM
  #88
Drummer
Better Red than Dead
 
Drummer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Freddy Beach, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prov1X View Post
Are you sure about the fighting major, on the boxscore it listed a 2:00 boarding, a 5:00 FV (which is a Face Wash Violation) and a game misconduct. Like I said before, it wasn't even Thomas who threw the hit that started the whole scrum. It was Willick that laid the player out!
My mistake - I thought FV was their 'new' way of listing a Fight.

Since it's a 'regular' Major call, he should be eligible.

However, I believe all of these majors may count towards their AUS totals?

2nd five-minute penalty (same season) results in a one-game suspension.
3rd five-minute penalty (same season) results in a two-game suspension.
4th five-minute penalty (same season) is an indefinite suspension and will be reviewed by the sport chair, who will assess the appropriate suspension.

"... where a five-minute penalty has been assessed in the first game of a two-game weekend, or during an exhibition trip ..."


Last edited by Drummer: 10-04-2016 at 12:20 PM.
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2016, 12:21 PM
  #89
FreddtFoyle
Registered User
 
FreddtFoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,534
vCash: 500
Talked to Coach MacDougall. All UNB players are eligible to play on Friday according to him. Murray didn't get match in Saturday game; it was 5 minute major for contact to the head and an automatic game misconduct (by their rules).

Apparently it was a drunk, 30-something guy that instigated the incident with Marcoux. Not a 10 year old kid. I guess he was chirping at UNB players all game, and gestured or may have even tried to spit at Marcoux as he was leaving ice. Marcoux reacted with that move where you kind of flex/snap your body and stick in his direction (you know, the "come at me bro" move). Security, who were cops, took the drunk guy out of the rink.

It is a shame that there's only one side of the story out there. Gardiner is waiting for UNB to respond. If they move at typical UNB speed, it will be awhile before we get an official response.

And yes, it was Willick who made that hit, not Thomas. The officials didn't see who was the culprit (!!!!) so they asked Gardiner who was involved, and since Mike was already given the gate, he said it was Thomas. Smart coach. :-)

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2016, 04:35 PM
  #90
Prov1X
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Fredericton NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
My mistake - I thought FV was their 'new' way of listing a Fight.
I thought the exact same thing until I looked it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
Talked to Coach MacDougall. All UNB players are eligible to play on Friday according to him. Murray didn't get match in Saturday game; it was 5 minute major for contact to the head and an automatic game misconduct (by their rules).

Apparently it was a drunk, 30-something guy that instigated the incident with Marcoux. Not a 10 year old kid. I guess he was chirping at UNB players all game, and gestured or may have even tried to spit at Marcoux as he was leaving ice. Marcoux reacted with that move where you kind of flex/snap your body and stick in his direction (you know, the "come at me bro" move). Security, who were cops, took the drunk guy out of the rink.

It is a shame that there's only one side of the story out there. Gardiner is waiting for UNB to respond. If they move at typical UNB speed, it will be awhile before we get an official response.

And yes, it was Willick who made that hit, not Thomas. The officials didn't see who was the culprit (!!!!) so they asked Gardiner who was involved, and since Mike was already given the gate, he said it was Thomas. Smart coach. :-)
I heard the same thing about the Marcoux incident, heard that it was a 23 year old who was arrested and escorted out of the rink. It sucks that the reporter would report such an incident without actual facts, then to stand by what he wrote despite multiple reports stating otherwise. Guess having a 10 year old "almost" being hurt is more dramatic than some drunk young adult acting like an idiot.

That's funny that Gardner let Thomas take the fall for everything, I guess since it was only a minor boarding, it wouldn't make much difference in the grand scheme of things.

Prov1X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2016, 07:23 PM
  #91
UNB Bruins Fan
Registered User
 
UNB Bruins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prov1X View Post
I heard the same thing about the Marcoux incident, heard that it was a 23 year old who was arrested and escorted out of the rink. It sucks that the reporter would report such an incident without actual facts, then to stand by what he wrote despite multiple reports stating otherwise. Guess having a 10 year old "almost" being hurt is more dramatic than some drunk young adult acting like an idiot.
I'm not on Twitter, but I hope someone calls him out for that original report and that he apologizes for reporting, what appears to be, false information.

UNB Bruins Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2016, 07:24 AM
  #92
radapex
Registered User
 
radapex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canada, Eh
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,898
vCash: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
I'm not on Twitter, but I hope someone calls him out for that original report and that he apologizes for reporting, what appears to be, false information.
He was questioned about it after arena staff commented on the situation, proving it to be false. He now claims "well, it was a group of people and there were a couple of 10-year-olds in the group".

radapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2016, 08:49 AM
  #93
Finder24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 61
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by radapex View Post
He was questioned about it after arena staff commented on the situation, proving it to be false. He now claims "well, it was a group of people and there were a couple of 10-year-olds in the group".

Yeah, good thing he never called anybody out for reporting the story wasn't entirely true....

Finder24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2016, 09:06 AM
  #94
UNB Bruins Fan
Registered User
 
UNB Bruins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,520
vCash: 500
There's a big difference in saying "the goalie flung his stick up to hit the kid" and then "he slammed his stick into the wall"....


Last edited by UNB Bruins Fan: 10-06-2016 at 03:59 PM. Reason: spelling
UNB Bruins Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2016, 10:20 AM
  #95
Prov1X
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Fredericton NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
There's a big difference in saying "the goalie flung his stick up to hit the kid" and then "he slammed his stock into the wall"....
Yes it is, but which is more dramatic and which would draw more attention.

I talked to many and I know it is their side, but everyone has told me the same thing, that the officiating was horrible.

Prov1X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2016, 11:59 AM
  #96
rethinking
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 117
vCash: 500
To be honest, Merrimack head coach, Mark Dennehy doesn't really appear to have much more credibility than reporter Mike McMahon!

Warning: CIS teams beware!

rethinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2016, 08:39 PM
  #97
TheRoadWarrior
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1
vCash: 500
Guys. I was there and the goalie swung his stick and almost hit a kid leaning over the wall. Maybe he meant to hit an older kid, maybe he just meant to scare them, but that's what happened.

Heckling happens. I can't believe this is the first time these guys have been through it or that it was worse than any of them got in the Q or OHL. This is Merrimack, our fans half the time don't know a power play from a penalty kill. But I don't care what happens and if you're just trying to scare people, you can't swing your stick at fans. If a guy down here did it he'd be suspended.

Can you guys tell me, was this typical for UNB? Right from the start of the game I thought I was watching Slap Shot. You've got a coach swearing so loud all night the whole rink can hear him, players trying to goad the other team into fights and trying to take guys' heads off, the goalie pulling a Billy Smith with 7 seconds left and the game over. I was waiting for Oggie Oglethorpe to come out there. 172 minutes in penalties? That's more than I've seen in any game in years.

What I will agree with you on is the officiating. We hate it too. Especially when they call everything the first month of the season and by the end they put the whistles away. Just call the game the same way all year long. God it drives me insane.

But here's the thing. Even when Merrimack was getting called in the second and third period they weren't behaving the way UNB was. And UNB came down here and beat BC and tied Harvard last year, so they should know the drill. If they didn't then shame on them.

It looked like it was more of the same when you went up to UNH the next night. Next to Merrimack UNH is like Mother Theresa. They never take penalties, hell they never even hit anybody on that ocean they play on up there (which is one reason they are struggling but I digress). You have to really be trying to get into a brawl with that team.

TheRoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2016, 09:36 PM
  #98
Rob
Registered User
 
Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,100
vCash: 500
Anyone know if UNB roster is maxed out for the season?

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2016, 09:46 PM
  #99
UNB Bruins Fan
Registered User
 
UNB Bruins Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fredericton, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,520
vCash: 500
It will be as soon as everyone gets into a regular season game (exhibition games don't count against the cap).

UNB Bruins Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2016, 10:42 AM
  #100
Drummer
Better Red than Dead
 
Drummer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Freddy Beach, NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Anyone know if UNB roster is maxed out for the season?
Well - 22 different skaters players have been on the rosters over the past 4 games, so 'yes' they are at the max, but it starts to count as the regular season starts.

Depending on how they appear during the season - they may have a spot open at Christmas, but that would be at the expense of not playing someone for the entire year to make a spot open for someone new - not likely unless their seriously injured.

So - the roster/players we have now are the team.

Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.