HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Say Betts is Out 2-5 Weeks, What Do you Do?

View Poll Results: What do you do?
Make A Trade for Skyora or someone else. 6 8.45%
Call up Immonen 44 61.97%
Call up Helminen 9 12.68%
Call Up Dawes 3 4.23%
Sign Genoway and Call him Up 1 1.41%
Call up someone else from the Wolf Pack (whos not listed above) 1 1.41%
Nothing at All, Put Hossa back in the lineup (or Orr) 7 9.86%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2006, 10:40 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

vCash: 500
Say Betts is Out 2-5 Weeks, What Do you Do?

If your Renney/Sather...what would you do?

Old
01-07-2006, 10:43 PM
Diehardfan419

I slide Jason Ward back over to center a fourth line of Niemenen and Orr.

Old
01-07-2006, 10:48 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Play Orr

Old
01-07-2006, 10:55 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

The least disruptive move would be to bring up Immonen, play him with Rucinsky and Prucha and see if Rucchin can take over for Betts. Rucchin is the best defensive center we have and he's been playing out of position all season. Playing less minutes and not having to generate offense might take some pressure off of him and help his game. Plus, we need to see if Immonen can make a go of it in the NHL and this is a perfect time to find out.

Old
01-07-2006, 11:26 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
The least disruptive move would be to bring up Immonen, play him with Rucinsky and Prucha and see if Rucchin can take over for Betts. Rucchin is the best defensive center we have and he's been playing out of position all season. Playing less minutes and not having to generate offense might take some pressure off of him and help his game. Plus, we need to see if Immonen can make a go of it in the NHL and this is a perfect time to find out.
Same here.

Old
01-07-2006, 11:38 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
I agree. I wouldn't mind the Rangers getting Sykora but Immonen is ready and has EARNED a callup.

Steve Rucchin is not a second line center.

Old
01-07-2006, 11:41 PM
shoothepuck

Play Immonen and see if he's NHL ready, or play Orr(scratch that).

Old
01-07-2006, 11:49 PM
Firefly

Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
Me? Bring up Immonen or Helminen. But I bet Renney will go with Hossa/Orr.

Old
01-08-2006, 12:07 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly
Me? Bring up Immonen or Helminen. But I bet Renney will go with Hossa/Orr.
That would be a very bad move. Playing Straka at center hasn't really been very productive and Rucchin is clearly overmatched when asked to produce offensivesly. Bringing up Immonen to play center means Rucchin can take over a job he's better suited to and Moore's line (as well as Jagr's line) can stay intact. It's really not rocket science and I hope Renney will make a real move instead of going with the status quo. However, like you, I don't expect it to happen--at least not immediately.

Old
01-08-2006, 12:19 AM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
I agree. I think it's the most logical and obvious choice in the situation and the team finds out three very important things:

1. How they respond to injury and the challanges that brings.

2. What Immonen looks like as a second line player.

3. If Rucchin has a role on this team as a bottom 6 forward. He hasn't succeeded as a second line center and this gives an opportunity if he can at least compliment a checking line.

Of course there is some degree of risk involved as with anything else. Immonen could not be ready or simply exposed as a player who might not be what they hoped. Rucchin might not adapt to a checking role and his potential trade value might take a hit. But those are the risks you have to take when building a team. Running from it doesn't change the reality of the situation.

Old
01-08-2006, 12:49 AM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
That would be a very bad move. Playing Straka at center hasn't really been very productive and Rucchin is clearly overmatched when asked to produce offensivesly. Bringing up Immonen to play center means Rucchin can take over a job he's better suited to and Moore's line (as well as Jagr's line) can stay intact. It's really not rocket science and I hope Renney will make a real move instead of going with the status quo. However, like you, I don't expect it to happen--at least not immediately.
Straka isn't playing center

Old
01-08-2006, 12:52 AM
Kluivert4Ever

What should be done.

Straka-Nylander-Jagr
Prucha-Immonen-Rucinsky
Ortmeyer-Moore-Hollweg
Ward-Rucchin-Nieminen

What will be done.

Rucinsky-Nylander-Jagr
Prucha-Straka-Hossa
Ortmeyer-Moore-Hollweg
Ward-Rucchin-Nieminen

Old
01-08-2006, 12:55 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue
Straka isn't playing center
He's played several games at center and it didn't work out. To say what I said above, in a different way: what is needed now is a real move--bringing up a center who can play on the second line--rather than simply rearranging the pieces that are already on the roster. Hope that helps.

Old
01-08-2006, 01:00 AM
Kluivert4Ever

Quote:
He's played several games at center and it didn't work out. To say what I said above, in a different way: what is needed now is a real move--bringing up a center who can play on the second line--rather than simply rearranging the pieces that are already on the roster. Hope that helps.
If we dont call up Immonen I rather see this.

Straka-Nylander-Jagr
Prucha-Rucchin-Rucinsky
Ortmeyer-Moore-Hollweg
Orr-Ward-Nieminen

Old
01-08-2006, 01:13 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluivert4Ever

Straka-Nylander-Jagr
Prucha-Rucchin-Rucinsky
Ortmeyer-Moore-Hollweg
Orr-Ward-Nieminen
That's just more of the same. And doing that would be playing too many players out of position. Not to mention leaving players who are not working out in their current role. That lineup doesn't help the team at all, plus it would be weaker on draws. Not to mention that Rucchin is probably the best player to replace Betts on the penalty kill--leaving him on the 2nd line means he's playing way too many minutes.

Old
01-08-2006, 01:24 AM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:

Straka-Nylander-Jagr
Prucha-Rucchin-Rucinsky
Ortmeyer-Moore-Hollweg
Orr-Ward-Nieminen
I think they should and would do...Ortmeyer-Hollweg-Orr, Nieminen-Moore-Ward

Old
01-08-2006, 01:32 AM
Yizee*

if I was Glen Sather I would let Don Maloney make my decisions for me

Old
01-08-2006, 01:53 AM
Pizza

Quote:

This makes a lot of sense to me. At this point I think Rucchin slots in better as 3rd or 4th line center.

Old
01-08-2006, 02:08 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue
I think they should and would do...Ortmeyer-Hollweg-Orr, Nieminen-Moore-Ward

Not too surprised...

Old
01-08-2006, 03:23 AM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
What should be done.

Straka-Nylander-Jagr
Prucha-Immonen-Rucinsky
Ortmeyer-Moore-Hollweg
Ward-Rucchin-Nieminen

What will be done.

Rucinsky-Nylander-Jagr
Prucha-Straka-Hossa
Ortmeyer-Moore-Hollweg
Ward-Rucchin-Nieminen
I think you're absolutely correct, but I hope you're wrong.

This, to me, is a great opportunity to call up Jarkko, who really needs to be given a cup of coffee at least before the season ends. Hopefully, he works well, but if he doesn't, perhaps Captain Midnight is right and we should look at signing Colby Genoway.

Old
01-08-2006, 06:48 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Agree also. Great post. Giving a skilled younger player an opportunity to show what he can do and not just throwing him out on the 4th line for a few minutes. I also think Rucchin with Ward and Nieminen might make that line a little more productive than it's been.

Old
01-08-2006, 08:07 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehardfan419
I slide Jason Ward back over to center a fourth line of Niemenen and Orr.
Because Jason Ward has played a lot of center in his career.

Old
01-08-2006, 10:42 AM
sling

The Jagr and HMO lines should remain intact. I don't think Renney will move Straka to C this go around.

It is time for Renney to see what Immonen can do. Hopefully, it will also improve the production of the 2nd line. Like others have said, Rucchin makes sense in place of Betts.

It is also time to reward a Hartford guy with a promotion and opportunity (in a game, not a practice). I get the feeling Renney has become reluctant to give any of these guys a chance at this point. So they might only get here through necessity - injury.

Helmenin should get a shot in Betts's spot the second Rucchin gets one of his nagging injuries.

It seems to me that Renney and the Ranger brass are worried that the team's play will suffer if Pock, Genoway, Immonen or Helmenin are playing regularly. I think the reality is that there is dead wood on this team, and replacing it with hungry youth will more likely improve the team's performance.

Remember, the team has a great equalizer for the mistakes of youth (and also the mistakes of dead wood vets), and his name is King Henrik.

Old
01-08-2006, 10:46 AM
Larry Melnyk

Here's one possibility that Renney might consider at the beginning...Moving Moore back up for one more chance and letting Hollweg or ORTS center a 4th line with the wortheless Orr or Hossa finally getting a shot...I wouldn't be surprised if that is the intial set-up....

But, at the least, a C must be called up (or traded for) for depth and the next 2-5 weeks...I personally would keep Immonen in Hartford and bring up the more complete (right now) Helminen...Now, whether Renney wants Immonen, Helminin, Genoway or perhaps a winger like Dawes, I do not know...

Old
01-08-2006, 10:55 AM
DarthSather99

Everyone is all over Immonen. I'd let Hossa or Orr get playing time. IMO Helminen or even Lee Far.. would be a better replacement for Betts who is known for his defensive game. Helminen is scoring alot points this year but is known as a defensively responsible forward. Lee F is known to be a good faceoff man (do not know his faceoff stats this year) in addition to being a good defensive forward.

Closed Thread