HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oil/Avs-GamedayThread Oct.18/03

Closed Thread

Old
10-17-2003, 07:42 PM
Oi'll say!

vCash: 500
Oil/Avs

Over the past few seasons the Oil have had more than their fair share of success against the elite teams (except Dallas ), the games are usually very entertaining and very close. If they're going to stink out the joint it's usually against teams of their own calibre or one tier lower.

I do like the Avs' chances of racking up an unholy number of points this season though, Kariya and Selanne are still new to being on an elite team and should inspire the oh so jaded Avs who only care about the playoffs.

Saturdays game will be competitive, or we will get to see a boatload of highlite reel goals. The only way we lose as fans is if it's 1-0 for the 'lanche.

Old
10-17-2003, 08:07 PM
TheBrew

The lines i hope are

Torres-Smyth-Hemsky

Isbister-York-Dvorak -this line could have a huge game

Ethan-Reasoner-Pisani

Chimera-Horcoff-Larauqe

Old
10-17-2003, 08:24 PM
sidelines

vCash:
I think that if Salo can stand on his head and we have some solid defense, we have a really good chance to win this game. But, thats easier said then done.. It'll be hard for the Oil to shut down the Av's two top lines. We're also going to need some offensive output, though. Lot's of shots..

3-2 Oilers..?

Old
10-17-2003, 08:43 PM
Mr Sakich

Torres knocks blake into wonderland, Floppa twists his ankle n the only rut Skyreach has ever had. Piere Lacroix's credit card bounces when he tries to buy a round. and the oil squeak out a 9-2 win.

This will happen in my dreams tonight, tomorrow may be a different story.

Old
10-17-2003, 08:44 PM
smokey

vCash:
i will be there. I will be cheering but with low expectations. The avs will score at least 5 goals (maybe 6). I dont see the oilers coming close to that on this night.

Final Score 6 - 1 For Colorado.

I say play Conks for this game and see what happens, they cannot be expected to win anyway so why wear Salo out against Colorados snipers. Lets see what Ty can do against the leagues best. Why shatter Salos confidance further in only the 5th game of the season.

Old
10-17-2003, 09:07 PM
dem

This thread isnt going to be pretty tomorrow night

Old
10-17-2003, 09:37 PM
Oilers Hockey

Wouldn't it be nice if the Oil handed the Av's their first shutout of the season? Defense looks great and Tommy is back!

2-0 Oil

Old
10-17-2003, 10:06 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem
This thread isnt going to be pretty tomorrow night

Yeah, we'll probably get a bunch of rubberneckers clogging up traffic because they just have to check out the train wreck.

Old
10-17-2003, 10:44 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I can't wait for tomorrow! Most excited I've been for a game since the season opener...... i know... god thats a long time in between ! But seriously - I think if we get good goaltending we can play with them. If we can play with them for 40 minutes I like our chances as I would consider our goaltending quite a bit better then theirs. Need another HUGE game from Torres-Smyth-Hemsky!! Our best chance is to roll four fresh, fast, energetic, and agressive lines all game against what virtually is a two line/two Dpairing team (their depth is laughable). If I got to be coach for a day this is what I'd do with the lines:
Torres-Smyth-Hemsky
Isbister-Horcoff-Dvorak
Moreau-Reasoner-York
Chimera-Stoll-Laraque

We have a clear cut top line, and we have two lines as well that can score and play responsible and tough hockey. Chimera-Stoll-Laraque could/should be a good overall energy line. Stoll is the defensive conscience, Chimera the speedy spark plug with finish, and I don't need to talk about BG!!!!!

Old
10-17-2003, 10:56 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
I can't wait for tomorrow! Most excited I've been for a game since the season opener...... i know... god thats a long time in between ! But seriously - I think if we get good goaltending we can play with them. If we can play with them for 40 minutes I like our chances as I would consider our goaltending quite a bit better then theirs. Need another HUGE game from Torres-Smyth-Hemsky!! Our best chance is to roll four fresh, fast, energetic, and agressive lines all game against what virtually is a two line/two Dpairing team (their depth is laughable). If I got to be coach for a day this is what I'd do with the lines:
Torres-Smyth-Hemsky
Isbister-Horcoff-Dvorak
Moreau-Reasoner-York
Chimera-Stoll-Laraque

We have a clear cut top line, and we have two lines as well that can score and play responsible and tough hockey. Chimera-Stoll-Laraque could/should be a good overall energy line. Stoll is the defensive conscience, Chimera the speedy spark plug with finish, and I don't need to talk about BG!!!!!
I don't know about two line/two d-pairing....I'd say more three line/5 d-men.....and very good at that.

Old
10-17-2003, 11:47 PM
Oilers Hockey

Not to worries I think Av's fans are pretty classy for the most part and I have nothings against them. The Av's fans I've met at Skyreach were pretty cool actually. If the Av's win they is good-natured ribbing of course, but nothing nasty (unlike another teams fans I'm thinking of)

My shutout prediction might be a stretch but the Oilers sometime show great resilientcy vs a tough teams. I want them to win so they can prove to themselve they are good team and can beat the Avalanche who ares a tough team.

Old
10-17-2003, 11:55 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

My prediction...the oilers get outplayed in every aspect of the game...and still manage to win 83-0....or maybe not...

Old
10-17-2003, 11:58 PM
Digger12

Only way we win this game is if the Oilers put on the foil and get to gooning. Guys like Laraque (especially with Worrell still injured), Torres, Chimera, Isbister, Semi, and others NEED to take the body, slow them down but not to the point of giving them more than 5 power plays. Any more than that and this game gets ugly FAST.

Old
10-18-2003, 12:03 AM
dem

I have a feeling theyre going to come out hitting... and get in penalty trouble fast.

Old
10-18-2003, 12:16 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Izzy's physical play has been great all year long - I've been VERY impressed - the goals and assists will come - cuase he's working hard and creating lots of chances

Old
10-18-2003, 02:09 AM
ozzieoiler

Interesting game tonight, I watched the Av's vs Wild game the other night back here in oz and i can't help but say i felt a little worried about the oilers playing them.

My thoughts after the game were that the Av's cruised to victory with little trouble, they seemed to do it a bit too easy.

We need to be disciplined and direct. This team will eat up mistakes and bury them. This is the part that worries me the most. From previous threads after games posters are commenting on bad passes and breakdowns at centre.

If we can shut down the first 2 lines , i think we have a chance. I beleive our third and fourth line are better than the avs'. Just hope they produce.

Good luck boys.

Old
10-18-2003, 05:09 AM
Meanashell11

The key to beating the AVS is to stay out of penalty trouble while playing a physical game and get the first goal. As far as AVS fans being classy I believe the fans reflect the charater of the leaders of the team, for example AVS have Sakic, a very classy guy, DET has Stevey Y, once again very classy. The Vancouver Cannots have a goon for a leader so that explains most everything about their fans. The only real exception is Toronto, Matts is a real nice guy yet their fans certainly do not reflect that...

Old
10-18-2003, 05:20 AM
Yanner39

Big test for the Oil. The key is to stay competitive and they need to play the Avs hard. The only chance they have I think is the fact that Abescher is probably not as good a goalie as the other 4 they faced in their first 4 games.

That being said, the Avs can score pretty much at will. During the summer, we all pretty much agreed that the Oilers will have to play physical against the Avs. If they do, I could see a closer game. If not, it may be a blowout. :mad:

Either way, it will be an interesting thread after game.

Old
10-18-2003, 05:23 AM
Yanner39

Just to add that as much as it pisses me off that the Avs went out and got Selanne and Kariya (same dividion as Oil), its great to see a team that will want to win it all with offense, not a boring defensive system.

Sure, offense wins games but defense wins championships, but there are exceptions some times.

Old
10-18-2003, 05:51 AM
oilersboy

We got pretty good defensive d-men. If they can shut down the top two line it should be a close game.
3-3
Smyth, Hemsky, Reasoner

Battaglia, Kariya and Blake.

Salo has to be sharp. If we can win some games againts Colorado and Detroit this season we should be able to finish in the top 6 team in the west.

I don't know if it will be a great night. The oil play againts Colorado, I play againts the best team in my league and my home town football team lost 67-0 last game.

Old
10-18-2003, 06:03 AM
Shibumi

vCash: 788
The difference between the have and have not teams will rear it's ugly head tonight. I agree...play Conklin. I say a 6-3 Av's final score.

Old
10-18-2003, 06:18 AM
Hairball

Once again, the Oilers are playing at home, so I'm going to predict an Oiler Victory. 4-3 in OT. We're gonna score one late to tie it up and come out hard in OT. Horcoff or Chimera get the winner.

Old
10-18-2003, 06:35 AM
xauxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooiilleerr_bergeron
Salo has to be sharp. If we can win some games againts Colorado and Detroit this season we should be able to finish in the top 6 team in the west.
For those who hope Salo will bounce back this year, this is a real test for him. If he lets in a couple easy goals tonight early, it is an indication of his performance will not ever return to the form that we hope for.
This is only one game, but one important game with respectable opponent, and if Salo saves goals at right time, right place, the whole team will have more chance of succeed. As long as we do not get scored on in first 5 minutes, the team with the higher mental toughness will prevail.

Old
10-18-2003, 06:58 AM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey
i will be there. I will be cheering but with low expectations. The avs will score at least 5 goals (maybe 6). I dont see the oilers coming close to that on this night.

Final Score 6 - 1 For Colorado.

I say play Conks for this game and see what happens, they cannot be expected to win anyway so why wear Salo out against Colorados snipers. Lets see what Ty can do against the leagues best. Why shatter Salos confidance further in only the 5th game of the season.
Why assume we know the outcome when the player have yet to lace up their skates? Colorado may be a stacked team, but their will be games where they come out flat.

Old
10-18-2003, 07:00 AM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#2
My prediction...the oilers get outplayed in every aspect of the game...and still manage to win 83-0....or maybe not...
Have Hemsky on your mind?

Closed Thread