HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Mogilny on waivers - TSN

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2006, 03:57 PM
jmjt9864

vCash: 500
Mogilny on waivers - TSN

TSN is reporting that Alexander Mogilny of the Devils has been put on waivers.

Anyone think Mogilny could help the Kings ... I know defensive help is needed but if the Devils will pick up part of the salary .. maybe he would be a nice short term addition ..

Old
01-04-2006, 03:59 PM
Maynard

Send a message via AIM to Maynard
Not with AEG's $35 mil cap in place.

Old
01-04-2006, 04:00 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
No.

Old
01-04-2006, 04:02 PM
kingsfan25

Could be nice to have, but the Devs probably wouldn't have put him on waivers if they hadn't signed him to a ridiculously large contract. That probably means he won't be picked up, at least not until the second time through.

Old
01-04-2006, 05:21 PM
multiball

Send a message via AIM to multiball
Boy, am I glad the consensus here seems to be a "no" on a Mogilny pick up. I'd imagine that sentiment is the same at Kings hq.

Let the Devils squirm with Elias and Mogilny's fat salaries for a few weeks and then watch them unload a defenceman / defensive forward to make cap room for both.

THAT'S when the Kings should attempt to acquire a Devil. Colin White or Jamie Langenbrunner would be a MUCH better fit with our needs and could hopefully be had as cheaply as Jeff Freisen was.

Old
01-04-2006, 05:45 PM
oldnslo

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiball
Boy, am I glad the consensus here seems to be a "no" on a Mogilny pick up. I'd imagine that sentiment is the same at Kings hq.

Let the Devils squirm with Elias and Mogilny's fat salaries for a few weeks and then watch them unload a defenceman / defensive forward to make cap room for both.

THAT'S when the Kings should attempt to acquire a Devil. Colin White or Jamie Langenbrunner would be a MUCH better fit with our needs and could hopefully be had as cheaply as Jeff Freisen was.
Interesting thought.

i'm oldnslo

Old
01-04-2006, 06:36 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnslo
i'm oldnslo
Wow, you're a blast from the past, oldnslo... one of the way-oldtimers. Nice to see ya again.

As for Molginy, I'm pretty much in agreement with everyone... but... I'm really concerned that the Kings will stop getting secondary scoring and go through a dry spell very soon. Would it really be all that bad to get him for free (except for salary, of course), use him for a couple months and then waive/trade him before the deadline? I would think that there'd be at least one playoff-bound team who wouldn't turn down Mogilny for a playoff run. The Kings would be on the hook for $1M or so, but it might be worth it to prevent a later-Winter slump. Mogilny is one of the few players who you can be sure will deliver the goods. I think that the Kings would go strong and avoid a slump if they had Mogilny. I realize it's kind of a crazy idea, but it's not too much different than renting a player for the playoffs. How the Kings do in the next couple months (and the placement they secure) could be just as important as the stretch run and actual playoff play.

Old
01-04-2006, 06:43 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
As for Molginy, I'm pretty much in agreement with everyone... but... I'm really concerned that the Kings will stop getting secondary scoring and go through a dry spell very soon. Would it really be all that bad to get him for free (except for salary, of course), use him for a couple months and then waive/trade him before the deadline? I would think that there'd be at least one playoff-bound team who wouldn't turn down Mogilny for a playoff run. The Kings would be on the hook for $1M or so, but it might be worth it to prevent a later-Winter slump. Mogilny is one of the few players who you can be sure will deliver the goods. I think that the Kings would go strong and avoid a slump if they had Mogilny. I realize it's kind of a crazy idea, but it's not too much different than renting a player for the playoffs. How the Kings do in the next couple months (and the placement they secure) could be just as important as the stretch run and actual playoff play.
I agree. Mogilny would be an excellent replacement for Bure as long as the salary hit is reasonable.

Old
01-04-2006, 06:46 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
believe me, as far up as the Kings are in the standings, it would take an act of God to have every team below them pass on whoever New Jersey throws to the wolves.

Old
01-04-2006, 07:28 PM
bland

Quote:
Would it really be all that bad to get him for free (except for salary, of course), use him for a couple months and then waive/trade him before the deadline? I would think that there'd be at least one playoff-bound team who wouldn't turn down Mogilny for a playoff run.
That is too big a gamble to take. If Mogilny was on a one year deal, it might be worth discussing. Nobody is going to want to pay Mogilny $3.5 million next year. LL has made some monumental miscalculations this year, and I don't want Taylor to be the one who bails him out.

Besides, it would take a miracle for Mogilny to make it through the rest of the season wihtout another injury. Then it would be impossible to move him.

It isn't worth it.

Old
01-04-2006, 07:35 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bland
That is too big a gamble to take. If Mogilny was on a one year deal, it might be worth discussing. Nobody is going to want to pay Mogilny $3.5 million next year. LL has made some monumental miscalculations this year, and I don't want Taylor to be the one who bails him out.

Besides, it would take a miracle for Mogilny to make it through the rest of the season wihtout another injury. Then it would be impossible to move him.

It isn't worth it.
Agreed.

Old
01-04-2006, 07:40 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion
believe me, as far up as the Kings are in the standings, it would take an act of God to have every team below them pass on whoever New Jersey throws to the wolves.
I actually would be shocked if anybody picks up Mogilny. Paying an almost 37 year-old, mediocre winger $3.5 million/year for the next year and a half is probably not appealing to most, if any teams.

Old
01-04-2006, 07:48 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bland
I agree that it's a gamble... but is it really too much of a gamble? Mogilny's true value would probably be $2M at the most, would you agree? Is a wasted $1.5M ($3.5M-$2M) for next season really all that bad? The Kings have wasted more than that on Roenick this season. He was a gamble and, despite being not much of a factor (and being a $5M sinkhole), the Kings have done very well this season. Mogilny is a gamble, but the consequences of not being able to offload him at the deadline or this Summer aren't all that bad.

Old
01-04-2006, 08:57 PM
nikolai19

I'd like to see him in Washington mentorinig Ovechkin.

Old
01-04-2006, 10:26 PM
ILuvLA

Quote:
Wow, you're a blast from the past, oldnslo... one of the way-oldtimers. Nice to see ya again.

Ding, ding, we have a winner here! Concur.

Old
01-04-2006, 11:57 PM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
No.
and let me second that no to that $3.5M contract...

01-05-2006, 12:10 AM
ILuvLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont
and let me second that no to that $3.5M contract...
Can I third it with a HELL NO?

Old
01-05-2006, 12:14 AM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvLA
but of course....

Old
01-05-2006, 12:26 AM
ILuvLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont
but of course....
Why thank you!

Old
01-05-2006, 12:55 AM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvLA
We've heard "damn defenseman" and "hell no" from you tonight. You're such an angel, ILuvLA

EDIT: You just wrote "holy crap" in another thread. That's more like it

Last edited by Osprey: 01-05-2006 at 01:00 AM.
Old
01-05-2006, 01:02 AM
ILuvLA

Quote:
We've heard "damn defenseman" and "hell no" from you tonight. You're such an angel, ILuvLA
Well, in my defense (and yes, I am stretching things here)....
It's a reaction to my absolute and complete, utter joy at UT winning tonight. UT football is my second love next to Kings hockey. What else can I say? Guilty as charged! Life is sweet this 4th day of January 2006! Now the Kings just need to kick *** tomorrow night and the week will be complete!

Old
01-06-2006, 03:29 AM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

to be honest, i was shocked to see Molgilny get a contract at all...i thought he was done...bad hip or something....

Old
01-08-2006, 12:54 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
With all the injuries I would take a chance on him right now. He has 12 goals which would rank him 5th on the Kings and has 1 less goal by himself than Roenick, Bure and Luc combined. I believe those 3 guys get paid around 9 million while Mogilny would only cost about 1.5 this years and 3.5 next. Take into account that Roenick, Bure and Luc should all be let go as UFA's and that's a savings of 5.5 million for the same production. Done deal.

Old
01-08-2006, 01:03 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
With Zhamnov breaking his ankle, thereby ending his season, Boston becomes another option. The Nedved-Mogilny thing is still on le table.

Old
01-08-2006, 02:48 PM
Game Misconduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnslo
i'm oldnslo
Welcome! Haven't seen you for a while!

Closed Thread