HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NOT another Comrie trade proposal, but...

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2003, 09:37 PM
cram

vCash: 500
NOT another Comrie trade proposal, but...

Let's say he signs, where does he fit in if Smyth keeps up the great play of the last two games?

1. Do you send Stoll to TO and let him watch from the PB (Should he sign, highly unilikely, almost impossible I know, but an option)

2. Move Smyth back to the wing, who comes out? (They'll never sit Izzy and his $2 mill, very political option here)

3. Send Horc or Reasoner to the PB, Pisani, BG, Chimer?

4. Give DVo some time to be with his family during these difficult times?

5. Be my guest...what would you do???

I say "should" Comrie sign this year, KLowe packages a D-Man and a winger with potential, ahem, Chimera, for a top 4 D-man and a pick, we move Smyth back to the wing do some more shuffling and everybody lives happily ever after.

Alright ladies and gentlemen, give to me, I have a shield out for protection on my trade speculation...

Old
10-18-2003, 09:40 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I pick option 5!! ane here's what it is... I have said this on numerous occasions. Hold onto him until the draft - find out who has the number one overall pick, and then offer up Comrie/Lynch/first rounder for that first overall pick. Seems like an over-payment, but it would be SOOOO worth it!

Old
10-18-2003, 09:42 PM
outKast*

Trade Comrie for Zetterberg hahaha jk.

I agree about giving Dvo maybe even a 3 game break to get himself together. His mind isn't in the right place right now. He should take care of his family before hockey. When he comes back and feels better, hopefully he plays like the 30 goal man he knows he can be.

Old
10-18-2003, 09:44 PM
cram

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
I pick option 5!! ane here's what it is... I have said this on numerous occasions. Hold onto him until the draft - find out who has the number one overall pick, and then offer up Comrie/Lynch/first rounder for that first overall pick. Seems like an over-payment, but it would be SOOOO worth it!
Aaaahhh, a la Ottawa with Yashin, great call, hopefully the Oil keep it up in order to allow us to get that far, however, Comrie is not as established as Yashin, even if he is a headcase who only plays for money. Remeber Ovechkin is being compared to Fedorov and he is playing in the top league in Russia as an 18 year old, he should be ready to step right in, IMO, nobody will trade the top pick next year as this guy is gonna step right in and help any team that wins the lottery. I love the idea though!

Old
10-18-2003, 09:51 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cram
Aaaahhh, a la Ottawa with Yashin, great call, hopefully the Oil keep it up in order to allow us to get that far, however, Comrie is not as established as Yashin, even if he is a headcase who only plays for money. Remeber Ovechkin is being compared to Fedorov and he is playing in the top league in Russia as an 18 year old, he should be ready to step right in, IMO, nobody will trade the top pick next year as this guy is gonna step right in and help any team that wins the lottery. I love the idea though!
Hell - I think he'd step in easily for the Oilers. I mean I think we could have THE premier kid line in the NHL with a Torres-Ovechkin-Hemsky line!!!! Those guys would DOMINATE!!! I know that Comrie isn't nearly as established as my favorite player Alexey Yashin (I'm sure I will take heat for that, lol) but he is younger and has potential which teams should love. Plus, we wouldn't be asking for a great defensive prospect back (what Chara was at the time). So in a way what I'm saying the Oilers should do translated into the Sens/Isles situation is trade (Sens being in the Oilers shoes, obvisouly) Yashin, Volchenkov, first for Spezza. Now I know my comparisons are a LITTLE rough, but I think you know what I'm getting at....

Old
10-18-2003, 10:21 PM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's on it.

If Comrie signs, I'd move York back to wing, where he seems more comfortable. I'm strongly in favor of keeping Smyth at center unless it becomes obvious that he's not going to be able to make the transition. Right now, I think he's doing pretty well actually.

I don't think the fans will welcome Comrie back... so I'd rather see him traded- if there's any chance of getting a decent return.

Old
10-18-2003, 10:38 PM
momentai

I don't understand why they don't send down Stoll anyway. Why not let him light it up in Toronto alongside Rita and Salmo? How is he going to adapt to the NHL game without even playing in one?

Old
10-18-2003, 10:42 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilflip
Trade Comrie for Zetterberg hahaha jk.

I agree about giving Dvo maybe even a 3 game break to get himself together. His mind isn't in the right place right now. He should take care of his family before hockey. When he comes back and feels better, hopefully he plays like the 30 goal man he knows he can be.
No!!! He is really close to back to the 30 goal scoring him right now u can see it I think he didn't hit the ice much while back home he is getting better every game, the pucks will start falling into the net real soon. I think Lowe should do the second classiest thing he can do (1st being let him go home,although it was nice to let him leave camp in the first place) which is pay for plane tickets for his wife and child to come over soon as its safe enough for the child to fly.

Old
10-18-2003, 10:42 PM
jadeddog

im prolly gonna get creamed again for this comment (cause you all know my feelings on unproven prospects by now, but here goes anyhow)

i think a comrie deal that lands us the 1st overall would be great, but only if its JUST comrie.... anything more would be drastic overpayment in my opinion

Old
10-18-2003, 10:48 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
im prolly gonna get creamed again for this comment (cause you all know my feelings on unproven prospects by now, but here goes anyhow)

i think a comrie deal that lands us the 1st overall would be great, but only if its JUST comrie.... anything more would be drastic overpayment in my opinion
Thats what it would take to get Ovechkin though - and TRUST ME, HE IS worth it - anybody who has seen him play (I've only seen a tiny bit) knows he will step in and be an absolute STUD! Trust me man - Comrie and Lynch (or pretty much any of our other prospects) would be worth giving up to get the pick upgrade! I get shivers when i think of a Torres-Ovechkin-Hemsky line...... OMG - they'd be the best line in the NHL in 6-7 years!

Old
10-18-2003, 10:51 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
I don't know if he'd be enough. Actually, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be enough. Rumors were that Lowe was packaging Comrie during the draft to get a #8 overall pick from Atlanta and they balked.

Prices are high for top 5 draft picks... and no one is going to want to give up Ovechkin - a guy touted to be a sure-fire franchise player.

Old
10-18-2003, 10:55 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by momentai
I don't know if he'd be enough. Actually, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be enough. Rumors were that Lowe was packaging Comrie during the draft to get a #8 overall pick from Atlanta and they balked.

Prices are high for top 5 draft picks... and no one is going to want to give up Ovechkin - a guy touted to be a sure-fire franchise player.
I know, thats why I included Lynch as well - I think Lynch and Comrie for a pick upgrade would be DAMN close to getting the job done - if it isn't enough, through in Chimera and a third..... I would love to see Lowe get this guy - even if he overpays like I am saying.

Old
10-18-2003, 10:57 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

vCash: 730
sorry thome time to give you some heat ok a little spark, yashin your favorite player the overpaid,lazy, and never seen in the playoffs player not the kind of guy i would want on my team. anyhou sorry just my rant on the sorry state of the cba awarding guys like him outlandish contracts although the owners are to blame as well. here you go my favorite player is joe sakic and am i glad the oilers shut him down tonight. ahhahahahahahahaa

Old
10-18-2003, 11:10 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Yashin IS over-paid, just like 80% of the NHL. BUT look at it this way. This guy night in and night out is keyed on by teams best checkers. The only time that he wasn't was when Idiot Laviollette (sp) lost control of the room and tried to make a point and put him on the fourth line. He hasn't had good line-mates his entire time in long Island, and has still put up very good numbers. Anybody who follows Yashin or his team knows that he isn't lazy - although he isn't the most dedicated to defense.
This whole topic about him being brutal in the playoffs is off. he has been in six post season, and has performed poorly in only two of them (when his enitre team found the biggest weiner and sucked it long and hard). But here are his career playoff stats:
GP G A P
1996-1997 Senators 7 1 5 6
1997-1998 Senators 11 5 3 8
1998-1999 Senators 4 0 0 0
2000-2001 Senators 4 0 1 1
2001-2002 Islanders 7 3 4 7
2002-2003 Islanders 5 2 2 4

So you can see that with the exception of 98-99 and 00-01 he has been good in the playoffs

Old
10-19-2003, 12:39 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Does he have to clear waivers? Cause if Comrie does sign, I say let him play for about 10 games in Toronto to let him get back into shape, and let MacT experiment a bit more to see where Comrie will fit in.

Old
10-19-2003, 06:23 AM
Oilhitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by alzardnp1
Does he have to clear waivers? Cause if Comrie does sign, I say let him play for about 10 games in Toronto to let him get back into shape, and let MacT experiment a bit more to see where Comrie will fit in.

"IF" Comrie signs it would surley be a one way contract for around the $2M range (maybe a bit less). I don't think the Oilers would want to pay him big $$$ to play in the AHL. If he signs he will play with the Oilers.

Right now I think the thing to do is let him sit. The Oilers are doing fine without him. If he still hasnt signed by the trade deadline then move him. And Thome-26 I agree with you on Ovechkin but it would never happen.

Old
10-19-2003, 08:17 AM
Hairball

Unless maybe it's florida that gets him. That guy is an idiot.

Old
10-19-2003, 10:44 AM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by chit94
"IF" Comrie signs it would surley be a one way contract for around the $2M range (maybe a bit less). I don't think the Oilers would want to pay him big $$$ to play in the AHL. If he signs he will play with the Oilers.
I think the point was to let him get back on his game feet, not to punish him somehow. I almost think that'd be a good idea, although 10 games would likely be overkill - he HAS been working out, just not with pros. Notice how Havlat didn't come right back to start playing? If not the AHL, then play him on the 4th line for a little while to get his game back, maybe. I don't think - I hope - he'd see the sense in that, and not sulk.

Old
10-19-2003, 10:55 AM
H-Bear

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe any NHL player can be sent down to the AHL without having to pass through waivers, *as long as it is a temporary conditioning stint*.

Old
10-19-2003, 11:21 AM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comrie
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe any NHL player can be sent down to the AHL without having to pass through waivers, *as long as it is a temporary conditioning stint*.
True. There's a limit to how many games, though- I think it might be 2.

Old
10-19-2003, 11:46 AM
H-Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
True. There's a limit to how many games, though- I think it might be 2.
Good to hear I am not losing my mind. Two games is still two games though. Although, it's all for not if he doesn't sign.

Old
10-19-2003, 11:50 AM
LawnDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by alzardnp1
yeah... THAT will go over well with the little suck...

Closed Thread