HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT:Columbus at Phoenix 1-8

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2006, 12:39 PM
WrightOn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedarko
but we all know it won't happen thats why he is gone at the end of the season.
Well, then cease any and all discussion NOW.

That's not the damn point, donnie. We don't know ****.

Someone made an arguement that if (a) happened then they would want to see (c) happen.

Whether (a) is possible in your mind or not is irrelevant, no matter how sad but true it is.

If GG led us to the promise land we would explore having him around.
Same as if River Phoenix dressed and scored 18 goals for us in one game, we would dress him again. SO WHAT IF HE'S DEAD.

hypothetical, baby.

Last edited by WrightOn: 01-10-2006 at 12:45 PM.
Old
01-10-2006, 12:43 PM
Matt Foley*

Quote:
Even if that is the case, and after reading I believe it is. Then I still think Gallant is gone.
There is nothing more I would like than to see the team play at that pace the rest of this season and see how the cards fall, so to speak. If I'm wrong I'm wrong, but I'm guessing that DM and Gallant would get the benefit of the doubt from Mr. Mac at that point.

Maybe this topic should be the subject of a new thread.

Old
01-10-2006, 12:53 PM
gonz

Quote:
....but still your from Kentucky so we can't take you seriously..
Hah... wanna say that to my face, tough guy?

(not all of us Kentuckians are in-bred and want to teach intelligent design to our kids, y'know...)

Quote:
But if we do get 88 points, i'll be torn on keeping him or getting rid of him. Doug will most certainly want ALL the credit.
I won't be torn. Send them both off on their merry way. Dump'em, nixx'em, ****can'em, put'em in the Out Box, let the door hit'em where the good lord split'em, and so on.

Last edited by gonz: 01-10-2006 at 12:59 PM.
Old
01-10-2006, 12:57 PM
gonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley
but I'm guessing that DM and Gallant would get the benefit of the doubt from Mr. Mac at that point.
Then Mr. Mac would prove the old maxim true: A Fool and His Money Are Soon Parted. Because if he keeps two two clowns on, the team ain't going nowhere.

Honestly, is Mr. Mac getting senile? Has he forgotten how many times he's apologized to the fans?

Old
01-10-2006, 01:06 PM
WrightOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzoid
Honestly, is Mr. Mac getting senile? Has he forgotten how many times he's apologized to the fans?
Wanna say that to his face, tough guy?

Old
01-10-2006, 01:17 PM
X0ssbar

Hey now... the only two internet fightin around these parts are me and 'mata...stop crowdin our bits and bites..

Old
01-10-2006, 01:27 PM
3mta3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf
Hey now... the only two internet fightin around these parts are me and 'mata...stop crowdin our bits and bites..
Yeah! I mean, yo mama.

My .08 Euros on the subject is that GG is just as responsible for the record over the last 5 as he was for the rest of the season. While I would prefer someone else who we don't have to wonder about I'm all for giving credit where it is due. If this micro-trend becomes a way of life then we stick with the man.

Crawford is catching heat in Vancouver for crying out loud. We all tend to overreact when things are hard, no?

What do you say Captain Lather? Let's shave these nogoodniks!

Old
01-10-2006, 01:58 PM
DougKnowsBest

im just speaking in general term. Im saying look unbiased, forget all the ups and downs, look at the season itself and judge the results of the year on the point total. Dont look at how or why, that only complicates it, just look at the facts.

IF at the end of the year we are sitting around 88 points I will be satisfied

If we are under the inagural teams point total I will not be happy

no prediction or projection. Just get it done. If the team comes in over 80 pts I'll be satisfeid. If not we need to clean house.

Old
01-10-2006, 02:24 PM
TBJF
Brick by Ga-borik

Send a message via AIM to TBJF Send a message via Yahoo to TBJF
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougKnowsBest

If we are under the inagural teams point total I will not be happy.
I pretty much agree with this. We currently have 28 points with 40 games left. To reach 88 points would require 60 points in 40 games - what amounts to .750 winning percentage.

To reach 72 requires 44 points, or better than .500 hockey.

I am thoroughly prepared to be not happy, despite hoping for the best.

Old
01-10-2006, 02:46 PM
maybe next year

Points schmoints. IMO, the only way GG should stay on is if the team becomes competitive for a playoff spot this year, which is extremely unlikely at this point. I really don't understand the willingness to keep giving this guy chances. Has the sheer and utter exhilaration of the team's .500 record in the last 10 games clouded people's judgement as to the previous 30 game debacle? Its going to take alot more than besting our first season's record to convince me that he's the right guy for next year. The CBJ expectations bar sure has been lowered in these parts.

Old
01-10-2006, 02:51 PM
Matt Foley*

Allow me to clarify my stance:

Do I think Mr. Mac would keep DM and GG around if the team played at or slightly above .500 the rest of the season?

I think he would.

If I was Mr. Mac in that situation, would I renew their contracts?

Not necessarily.

Old
01-10-2006, 04:03 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

We’re all neglecting one major factor in the fire/keep GG debate between the first two months and the last month -- RICK FREAKING NASH.
I don’t think it is any coincidence that this recent success has been because of his addition to the lineup. He’s added almost a goal a game to the team’s total and that is translating directly to wins.
I don’t think it is any stretch to assume Nash could’ve been the differnce in several of those tight games this team lost early in the year (like, for instance, all those 2 GAA games Denis put up that generated the wrath of the CBJ posters).
I don’t have any research in front of me, but I think this team could have 5-6-7 more wins if he was healthy the whole year. Take that many games from the loss column, add it to the win column and this team is creeping dangerously close to .500 (and on pace for its best season ever).
If this team is .500 I don’t think the posters here are nearly as bloodthirsty.

Call me crazy, but that is about where I figured the team would be -- not quite playoffs yet, but posting its best season and actually having more than one team in the conference being worst than them.

And don’t come at me with “injuries aren’t an excuse.” Look at the change in this team and say that with with a straight face.

I’ve never been a GG fan, but with that in mind, if they keep this up, I think he deserves another go round.

Old
01-10-2006, 04:58 PM
3mta3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

And don’t come at me with “injuries aren’t an excuse.” Look at the change in this team and say that with with a straight face.
Oh, I won't! I'm able to recognize that when you've played almost TWICE as many players in just over half a season as you normally carry on a roster that you will have problems winning hockey games.

That's the only reason that I'm willing to remain open on the coaching issue.

Old
01-10-2006, 05:09 PM
WrightOn

Quick! Someone jump in and ignore all this solid commentary as usual. Let's hurry up and get back to mindless finger pointing and negative babbling! Duplicate thread!

Lock it up!

p.s. We beat Phoenix because it was Elvis' birthday.

Old
01-10-2006, 05:54 PM
maybe next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3mta3
I agree - good move. We're gunna learn you good boy!

Although isn't this just more of that GG line changing during the games that just drives everyone crazy?

Sorry, I can't help it. The pot needs stirred.
WO, seems your mate 3mta3 started the downward spiral of this thread back on page 2.

Old
01-10-2006, 06:24 PM
gonz

Quote:

If we are under the inagural teams point total I will not be happy
They're at 28 now (according to TSN's standings). They'd need to win (at least) thirty more games.

Personally, I think that's a might optimistic.

Old
01-10-2006, 06:31 PM
gonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Call me crazy, but that is about where I figured the team would be -- not quite playoffs yet, but posting its best season and actually having more than one team in the conference being worst than them.

I’ve never been a GG fan, but with that in mind, if they keep this up, I think he deserves another go round.
Would the addition of Rick Nash early in this season negate the blindly large number of penalties take?

Is the addition of Rick Nash improving the power play?

Why are the players getting injured?

Coaching and conditioning are the main reasons for the above. I don't buy the excuses crap because losers make excuses and that's just what the Jackets are right now.

The coach ain't working so the coach gotta go.

Old
01-10-2006, 07:34 PM
PubOFH

Send a message via Yahoo to PubOFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzoid
Would the addition of Rick Nash early in this season negate the blindly large number of penalties take?

Is the addition of Rick Nash improving the power play?

Why are the players getting injured?

Coaching and conditioning are the main reasons for the above. I don't buy the excuses crap because losers make excuses and that's just what the Jackets are right now.

The coach ain't working so the coach gotta go.
Take it from me. Your going to get gained up on for this one. I agree that GG has to go. Not that he is a bad guy...just cant seem to motivat the troops well. Must do better at training the troops to not take dumb penalties...its taken him 30+ games to get that number down...oops...took 9 last game I think. I now say keep him until the end of they year...will get a better draft pick.

Injuries...dont buy that the coach has much to do with this. Just bad luck.

Old
01-11-2006, 06:23 AM
TBJF
Brick by Ga-borik

Send a message via AIM to TBJF Send a message via Yahoo to TBJF
Wow, the optimism runs wild in here with just a little encouragement doesn't it? But let's temper all of this "solid commentary" ( ) with just a small dose of reality ....

Yeah, Nash would have made all those 6-0 and 6-2 losses into 6-1 and 6-3 nailbiters. (You remember, those games which were earning Denis a place on the bench, and had people wondering if we could ship him to Syracuse? When GG was saying he was happy with the effort in a 6-2 loss? You don't remember the losing streaks? The 8-2 and 5-0 poundings on our home ice?)

This team has very little chance of equalling the franchise's best record ever. It's unlikely to equal the point total of its inaugural season. It has a very plausible shot at being the worst team in franchise history.

Yes, Nash's return is the only reason for the recent success, but that itself is an indictment of the organization. We are one knee sprain away from being one of the three worsts teams in the league, and our coach and GM cheerfully admit they don't have the slightest idea of how to fix that. And you find that acceptable?

I'd rather have a coach who could organize/motivate/lead/inspire a team and at least get them to show up and play hard consistantly. With or without Rick Nash.

I will repeat what I have been saying since the lockout ended: for me, if this team can not surpass that 72 point mark it is unthinkable to retain GMDM or any remnant of the PEI mafia.

Old
01-11-2006, 06:58 AM
Matt Foley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBJF
I will repeat what I have been saying since the lockout ended: for me, if this team can not surpass that 72 point mark it is unthinkable to retain GMDM or any remnant of the PEI mafia.
I agree. But the question remains, does Mr. Mac agree? Based on what I read, I don't get that warm, fuzzy feeling that he does. I get the impression that DM still has Mr. Mac eating out of his hand, so to speak. Maybe I'm wrong, and I hope that I am, but I just don't have the confidence in our ownership to make the move that I feel it needs to make if the team stumbles the rest of the season.

Our ownership group owes it to the fans to at least look into possible upgrades GM-wise. To just rubber-stamp DM and extend his contract would be a big mistake, IMO. That his contract hasn't been extended at this point is somewhat encouraging to me.

Old
01-11-2006, 07:30 AM
DougKnowsBest

Allow me to throw this twist out. I dont think it will be MR. Mac's decision to make. I get the impression Mr. Mac is in poor health again. When feds played his 1000th game mr mac jr presented feds with the silver stick. Last week DM was talking to Mr. Macs son instead of MR. Mac. God forbid, but if Mr. Mac dies in the coming year, The decision would be mr mac jr's. I bet it would be easeir for him to fire everyone, then bring in his own people. Unless Mr. mac has some provision in his will concerning DM. Just a thought.

Old
01-11-2006, 07:48 AM
futurcorerock

Send a message via AIM to futurcorerock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley
I agree. But the question remains, does Mr. Mac agree? Based on what I read, I don't get that warm, fuzzy feeling that he does. I get the impression that DM still has Mr. Mac eating out of his hand, so to speak. Maybe I'm wrong, and I hope that I am, but I just don't have the confidence in our ownership to make the move that I feel it needs to make if the team stumbles the rest of the season.

Our ownership group owes it to the fans to at least look into possible upgrades GM-wise. To just rubber-stamp DM and extend his contract would be a big mistake, IMO. That his contract hasn't been extended at this point is somewhat encouraging to me.
So, oh wise Matt Foley.. what are our options?

Off-topic... see what happens when the Jackets win? Three pages of debate and discussion.

When they lose? Fire/Trade _______ (fill in the blank between Gallant, Denis, Zherdev, Fedorov, Joe Thornton)

Old
01-11-2006, 07:50 AM
futurcorerock

Send a message via AIM to futurcorerock
Quote:
Allow me to throw this twist out. I dont think it will be MR. Mac's decision to make. I get the impression Mr. Mac is in poor health again. When feds played his 1000th game mr mac jr presented feds with the silver stick. Last week DM was talking to Mr. Macs son instead of MR. Mac. God forbid, but if Mr. Mac dies in the coming year, The decision would be mr mac jr's. I bet it would be easeir for him to fire everyone, then bring in his own people. Unless Mr. mac has some provision in his will concerning DM. Just a thought.
If Dougie's smart, he's got that whole famly locked up.

Also consider that this isn't GM Doug we're dealing with. It's GM/President of Hockey Ops Doug.... If Doug gets "fired" clean and through like some suggest, that's a whole new infastructure to replace

This new, super breed of GM essentially controls every aspect of the Blue Jackets, aside from team salary

Old
01-11-2006, 07:55 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Yes, Nash would’ve won all those blowouts the CBJ were in -- that is exactly what I said.

Now, back to my point. The Jackets played 9 games without Nash that were lost by either one goal or two goals with an empty netter. I’m not saying they’d win all those games, but I don’t think I’m off base to say that 4-5-6 of those games could’ve been wins. They all wouldn’t have been loses, I can tell you that.

I know, I know... if ifs and buts...

Go conservative though, give the Jackets four wins in those nine games. They’d be at 36 points right now. That’s right on pace for 72 points, with a whole second half of the season in front of them in which to improve that pace.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not going to lose sleep if they dump Gallant. I really have never been too keen on him. But, IF this team can continue to play the way its played currently, I’m not going to be upset if they bring him back. They seem to be moving in the right direction. This can certainly change though.
But, if they continue doing what they’re doing, I give GG slack for two reasons:

1) The Nash injury. This team lost its 1st scorer before it even found secondary scoring. With Nasher out, this team had nothing on offense. You want to take MacLean to task for that -- fine it’s warranted, but I don’t think this one should be hung on Gallant. What was he left with? Vyborny was the only established scorer left (and even that isn’t saying much). Guys like Zherdev, Fritsche and Balastik had little-to-no NHL experience. Guys like Hridna and Letowski clearly were over their heads. They get Fedorov and he’s disappointing.

2) The “new” NHL. “They should’ve been prepared,” blah, blah, blah. Ideally, yes, but how do you prepare for the unknown? Sure, you can be lectured and watch advice videos from the NHL, but you don’t know until you hit the ice. The Jackets struggle immensely with this early in the season. Yes, they were slow to adjust. But, I think they have the hang of it now. Finally coming to grips with that, they’ve improved their play.

This could all change, but at this point in time, I’m okay with the Gallant regieme. Slow to adapt? Yes. But that is over and done now. (hopefully) No sense in tossing him out now if the team continues to have success. IF, I said.

I will reiterate this though -- if Gallant goes, they better clear the whole staff out. If they’re going to do it, do it right. Bring in a guy and let him get his guys.

Old
01-11-2006, 08:00 AM
Millions Livio

I'm looking at this season as a warm up for next season, since even if we begin to have a "winning streak" or we start to turn around, it's pretty much too late now for anything serious to happen.

(Watch me be wrong)

Closed Thread