HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Expansion Draft Rules, Alignment & Schedule Matrix for Las Vegas

Old
10-21-2016, 07:06 PM
Mike Jones

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Method Man View Post
It's cool, I thought you were mocking my math
No - I'm the last person who should be mocking anyone's math. Trust me. I think I was using what little skill I have at addition to help out.

Mike Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2016, 11:18 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/3...ttles-nhl-bid/

Quote:
There was a weird rumour last week that the NHL was going to argue that players who had partial no-trade clauses but full no-move clauses could be exposed in the expansion draft. After all, the rumour went, those NMCs were for waivers or demotions, not to block every potential trade. But I’m told that’s not accurate -- players in those situations cannot be exposed without their permission. Also, I think a number of GMs already know who on their team is willing to waive — and who isn’t.
Friedman with the inside scoop

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2016, 08:08 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.espn.com/blog/nhl/post/_/...search-on-hold

Quote:
It sounds like the NHL and NHLPA are pretty much on the same page regarding the 65-70 players on the protected list for the expansion draft in June (these are players with no-movement clauses, etc.). Now, because some clauses are written differently than others, as of Tuesday one player still needs to be classified. One thing to remember: The players on the protected list will have the right to waive and go unprotected in the expansion draft to Las Vegas. It's also important to note that any player who signs a contract extension before the expansion draft that includes a full no-move clause will be added to that list of protected players.
LeBrun did not indicate who that player is.

Old
11-14-2016, 02:01 PM
MXD

Is there any games requirement for Goaltenders?

I'm pretty sure there were rumblings about such requirements at some point (something like 20 games in 15-16 or 16-17, or 30 total games... ) for a goalie to be considered "exposed" for the purposes of this draft.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2016, 02:06 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Is there any games requirement for Goaltenders?

I'm pretty sure there were rumblings about such requirements at some point (something like 20 games in 15-16 or 16-17, or 30 total games... ) for a goalie to be considered "exposed" for the purposes of this draft.
I haven't seen any reports of a games requirement for goalies. The situation seems to be:

- First/second year goalies would be exempt by default.

- Each team must expose at least one goalie who is under contract for 2017-18 or is an RFA who was given a qualifying offer. I presume teams could choose to make a 1st/2nd year goalie available in the expansion draft if they had no other options to fulfill the requirement.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2016, 02:22 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Sharks signed journeyman goalie to two-year deal over the summer so they'd have someone exposed that met the contractual requirement. (They'll also have a pending UFA goalie exposed.)

Old
11-14-2016, 02:42 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Sharks signed journeyman goalie to two-year deal over the summer so they'd have someone exposed that met the contractual requirement. (They'll also have a pending UFA goalie exposed.)
Aaron Dell, right?

From this, I gather that nothing would prevent a team from offering a deal to a goalie who is clearly an AHL'er in order to have at least one goalie meeting the Exposure Requirements?

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2016, 05:04 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Correct.

Old
11-15-2016, 03:00 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.espn.com/blog/nhl/post/_/...xpansion-rules

GMs meeting today want some clarification on expansion draft. At least one team exec was surprised by ability of team to sign UFA/RFA during 48-hour window. And what if there's a negotiation (wink, wink) during that window, but player doesn't sign with Vegas until 7/1 allowing them to select someone else from NHL team roster.

Old
11-16-2016, 10:45 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://www.espn.com/blog/nhl/post/_/...xpansion-rules

GMs meeting today want some clarification on expansion draft. At least one team exec was surprised by ability of team to sign UFA/RFA during 48-hour window. And what if there's a negotiation (wink, wink) during that window, but player doesn't sign with Vegas until 7/1 allowing them to select someone else from NHL team roster.
Have to wonder why it would make a difference, unless said team was expecting to wink-wink sign their own pending UFA after the expansion draft without having to protect him.

Old
11-18-2016, 11:21 AM
ES

Since expansion teams are usually a bit empty on players just above the draft class, I would like to see a rule where draft picks who existing teams chose not to sign (2015 for North American, 2013 for European) would be on the exposed list.

ES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2016, 02:09 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
Have to wonder why it would make a difference, unless said team was expecting to wink-wink sign their own pending UFA after the expansion draft without having to protect him.
yup, exactly. It's a non-issue, or it should be.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2016, 03:16 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
yup, exactly. It's a non-issue, or it should be.
I don't know if it's a non-issue. But if it is an issue, then what's good for the goose should be good for the gander. Because both sides have have ways to "take advantage" of delayed UFA signings.

Old
11-18-2016, 04:03 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES View Post
Since expansion teams are usually a bit empty on players just above the draft class, I would like to see a rule where draft picks who existing teams chose not to sign (2015 for North American, 2013 for European) would be on the exposed list.
By default these guys will be UFAs (or reenter the draft).

Old
11-22-2016, 12:25 PM
aemoreira1981

What about a potential buyout period before expansion? If the Stanley Cup Playoffs go to the last possible day, will the buyout period be allowed before expansion if a team wants to buy out a player with an NMC whom it could not convince to waive it before expansion?

aemoreira1981 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2016, 08:08 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemoreira1981 View Post
What about a potential buyout period before expansion? If the Stanley Cup Playoffs go to the last possible day, will the buyout period be allowed before expansion if a team wants to buy out a player with an NMC whom it could not convince to waive it before expansion?
And will Vegas be able to grab a player on buyout waivers?

Old
11-23-2016, 11:13 AM
kurt
the last emperor

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand trades can continue after the trade deadline, but players dealt are ineligible to play in the playoffs. As a result, trades are few and far between after the deadline.

Will we see some more action in that regard, as teams prepare for the upcoming expansion draft?

kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2016, 04:19 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemoreira1981 View Post
It's possible that teams may be able to buy out players prior to the expansion draft.

The Ordinary Course Buy Out period begins June 15 (or 48 hrs after the last game of the Cup Finals, whichever is later). Last season SCF Game 6 was on June 12 (with game 7 scheduled for June 14). Teams may place the player on Waivers prior to the start of the Buy Out period, so Buy Outs may be executed right at the start of the period.

The deadline for teams to submit their protected lists for the Expansion Draft is June 17.

If the Cup Finals end on or before June 15, there will be a window between the start of the Buy Out period and the expansion draft deadline - allowing teams to Buy Out players (including NMCs) prior to the Expansion Draft.

kdb209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2016, 04:26 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
It's possible that teams may be able to buy out players prior to the expansion draft.

The Ordinary Course Buy Out period begins June 15 (or 48 hrs after the last game of the Cup Finals, whichever is later). Last season SCF Game 6 was on June 12 (with game 7 scheduled for June 14). Teams may place the player on Waivers prior to the start of the Buy Out period, so Buy Outs may be executed right at the start of the period.

The deadline for teams to submit their protected lists for the Expansion Draft is June 17.

If the Cup Finals end on or before June 15, there will be a window between the start of the Buy Out period and the expansion draft deadline - allowing teams to Buy Out players (including NMCs) prior to the Expansion Draft.
Nice find!!! This could be quite useful to some teams.

Fourier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2016, 09:36 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

The NHL's first draft of the mandatory protection list for the expansion draft has been acquired by Sportsnet. As the article covers, there are some surprises with players where the cap tracking websites had incorrect or incomplete information on their NMC status.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/o...ins-surprises/

Some things learned for the future: the article makes clear many of the NTC/NMC clauses have starting or ending dates that don't coincide with the League Year of July 1 to June 30. Not surprising, but something rarely captured by the media reports of signings, and thus the cap tracker websites.

One other nugget that stuck out to me:
Quote:
There is a scenario where Ottawa Senators winger Bobby Ryan can also be exposed to Vegas. When he signed a $50.75-million, seven-year extension in October 2014, it was widely reported that his contract included a no-move clause, but the language in that deal actually stipulates no movement to the minors and gives him a modified no-trade list, according to a source.
The CBA says that NMC's can protect against 3 different things happening without player consent.
1) Being put on Waivers
2) Being Loaned to another (including minor league) team
3) Being Traded.

There has been a lot of discussion and confusion over what it meant that "players with NMC's had to be protected" in the expansion draft. The Bobby Ryan explanation here, if correct, would seem to confirm that only players with contracts that require their permission to be placed on Waivers must be protected in the expansion draft.

Old
11-24-2016, 11:30 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
One other nugget that stuck out to me:

The CBA says that NMC's can protect against 3 different things happening without player consent.
1) Being put on Waivers
2) Being Loaned to another (including minor league) team
3) Being Traded.

There has been a lot of discussion and confusion over what it meant that "players with NMC's had to be protected" in the expansion draft. The Bobby Ryan explanation here, if correct, would seem to confirm that only players with contracts that require their permission to be placed on Waivers must be protected in the expansion draft.
This is neat - thanks.

With the potential for one more expansion draft down the road I wonder if we'll see future signings with NMCs that actually mention expansion drafts.

Would that even be legal?

Old
11-24-2016, 12:39 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
With the potential for one more expansion draft down the road I wonder if we'll see future signings with NMCs that actually mention expansion drafts.

NTCs and NMCs are allowed in current CBA and any specifics are a negotiating item between team and player.

May be in future there are NTCs with "no expansion draft exposure" stipulations.

Old
11-24-2016, 03:17 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
This is neat - thanks.

Probably not legal unless the unseen expansion side agreement between the NHL and PA allows for it. They can't add additional clauses to a contract unless the CBA says the particular clause is allowed.

Old
11-29-2016, 04:51 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/3...2018-olympics/

Friedman reports
Quote:
Owner Bill Foley has informed the NHL he intends to complete payment by March 1, instead of April 1. That means his club will get a chance to compete against other teams for NCAA or CHL free agents.
Waiting a month to complete final payment would eliminate a lot of guys from eligibility to sign as the other teams would get them (first).

Smart move.

Old
01-05-2017, 01:23 PM
TheTakedown
Puck is Life

Are teams going to be allowed to buy out players after the expansion draft is submitted on the 21st?

As far as I know the buyout window is from June 15th to June 30th, which would mean a team could expose a player, then buy him out if he isn't selected and they didn't want him on the team.

TheTakedown is offline   Reply With Quote