HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Expansion draft

Old
06-22-2016, 11:21 PM
maplepred

vCash: 500
Expansion draft

This really stinks we have our top defense all locked in for years on good contracts as well. Well that doesn't suck but the fact that we either get to protest 8 players total or we can protest 10 but then only three can be defense.

I would have to think we protect Ellis Weber Josi ekholm, then four forwards like Ryjo Neal forsberg and okposo ( 😉 )

Do we protect ten and leave one of our defensemen exposed our protect the top four and only protect 8 total???

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2016, 11:33 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Why are we protecting Okposo? He's not a Predator and very likely won't be.

We obviously protect 4 defensemen and 4 forwards.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2016, 01:01 AM
King Weber

vCash: 50
Protect Weber, Josi, Ekholm, Ellis, Ryjo, Neal, Smith and Forsberg.

Lose one of Wilson or Jarnkrok. Not a huge loss depending on how they do this season. We have ton of depth on the wings anyway and likely more coming up.

King Weber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2016, 01:05 AM
Scoresberg
Golden Era Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Weber View Post

Lose one of Wilson or Jarnkrok. Not a huge loss depending on how they do this season. We have ton of depth on the wings anyway and likely more coming up.
Agreed 100%. It isn't any harder than this.

Scoresberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2016, 05:45 AM
Roman Yoshi
Joey: A New Hope

This actually brings up a very good point that I was considering last night. It may be better to trade Jarnkrok/Wilson this summer and go after one of the big free agents and give them a limited movement clause that will auto protect them from the expansion draft. This would allow us to keep the big 4 d men and protect out top 4 forwards plus one additional forward.

Assuming I've read the rules correctly.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2016, 06:55 AM
Armourboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman Yoshi View Post
This actually brings up a very good point that I was considering last night. It may be better to trade Jarnkrok/Wilson this summer and go after one of the big free agents and give them a limited movement clause that will auto protect them from the expansion draft. This would allow us to keep the big 4 d men and protect out top 4 forwards plus one additional forward.

Assuming I've read the rules correctly.
Those nmc also count against your 8 if I read it right. Do whoever that player was would be forced to be protected.

Armourboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2016, 06:57 AM
PeterLax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
Those nmc also count against your 8 if I read it right. Do whoever that player was would be forced to be protected.
Yeah, exactly. It's not like it's a free exemption, you just have to include them in one of your slots. Otherwise Chicago could protect like 15 players.

PeterLax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2016, 06:57 AM
Armourboy

But I think we pretty much gotta protect the big 8, no way around it really, any of them would be grabbed quickly.

Old
06-23-2016, 07:33 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

We should be fine. Poile has plenty of time to trade Wilson or Smith or even Jarnkrok for that matter. If he wishes to go a different direction, he could move Ellis and protect more forwards. I know this is unpopular, and I favor keeping our 4 d, but it is always an option.

06-23-2016, 07:45 AM
Scoresberg
Golden Era Preds

It's Wilson vs Smith dog fight this year. And if/when we lose one of them we have Fiala/Aberg/Arvidsson/Kirkland/Trenin coming up to replace him. We're going to be just fine.

Scoresberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2016, 08:01 AM
Roman Yoshi
Joey: A New Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
Gotcha. My mistake. Then no, that wouldn't make sense.

You have to protect the big 4 on the blue line though.

Forsberg
Johansen
Smith
Neal

Beyond that, let the chips fall where they may.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2016, 08:44 AM
maplepred

So by the sounds of the comments in this thread it seems like you all assume we will protect the four d and then ryjo Neal forsberg and smith??

So you are all assuming we are not getting any free agents like Lucic okposo eriksson etc??

Or even trading for someone to play first line wing?

My theory is if Fabbro or bellows aren't available at 17, package the pick with smith and fiala for a stud winger if possible. Then we protect that winger. Unless of course we sign big free agent which is low possibility

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2016, 08:54 AM
Armourboy

No I really don't see anything happening tbh, and I'm not even certain Smith is the guy we protect, he is more or less the last one in that list.

Who knows what will happen.

Old
06-23-2016, 09:25 AM
MrJoshua

Let's not forget that you can also trade picks or other items to Vegas in exchange for them not selecting certain players. Say, a 2nd-round pick if they're willing to take Arvidsson instead of Wilson or Smith (or Ellis if Poile protects 7+3, or whoever). That is apparently very common. And since the expansion team has zero prospect pool at this time, they'll want all the draft picks they can get.

MrJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2016, 09:34 AM
thecloser

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
So by the sounds of the comments in this thread it seems like you all assume we will protect the four d and then ryjo Neal forsberg and smith??

So you are all assuming we are not getting any free agents like Lucic okposo eriksson etc??

My theory is if Fabbro or bellows aren't available at 17, package the pick with smith and fiala for a stud winger if possible. Then we protect that winger. Unless of course we sign big free agent which is low possibility
at the state we're in with having to resign Forsberg, you can't count on protecting, let alone signing a big name free agent this year. If it happens, it happens and good, we'll deal with it when it comes but as for right now, it seems the only way we may be able to add someone is through trade.

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2016, 11:54 AM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post

I have no reason to suspect we will do either of those. In the event we do, you simply leave Smith unprotected as well. We are only going to lose one of them this go-around regardless.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2016, 11:58 AM
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia

vCash: 344
Who do we leave unprotected when after we sign Stamkos?

But seriously, it'll be interesting to see who's first on the list to be "exposed" if we gain a player we see worth protecting between then and now.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2016, 01:50 PM
Legionnaire11
PredaBolts

Leaving Ellis exposed means that if everything else stays the same, we're looking at Bitetto on the 2nd pair... so clearly Ellis has to be protected.

I'm not sure that an expansion team would necessarily take Jarnkrok, Smith, Wilson types. But maybe Arvidsson, Salomaki or Sissons would be attractive to them. Seems they'd get more value from those players as their pay more closely matches the role they would play. Preds have been known for turning out defensemen and bottom -6 guys with some upside, and an expansion team will rely heavily on those types of players so it makes sense to take one from a team historically known for developing them. They can draft more top-6 type players from teams with a track record of identifying and developing those type of players.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2016, 02:31 PM
thecloser

https://predlines.com/2016/06/23/nas...-to-expansion/

everyone should check this out. interesting but some of the choices of who we would lose are ridiculous.

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2016, 02:34 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Leaving Ellis exposed means that if everything else stays the same, we're looking at Bitetto on the 2nd pair... so clearly Ellis has to be protected.

I'm not sure that an expansion team would necessarily take Jarnkrok, Smith, Wilson types. But maybe Arvidsson, Salomaki or Sissons would be attractive to them. Seems they'd get more value from those players as their pay more closely matches the role they would play. Preds have been known for turning out defensemen and bottom -6 guys with some upside, and an expansion team will rely heavily on those types of players so it makes sense to take one from a team historically known for developing them. They can draft more top-6 type players from teams with a track record of identifying and developing those type of players.
This expansion is different. They are not going to have a 8-10 million dollar forward unless they sign one in FA.

However with a 0 cap, they can afford to ice 3 lines of 2nd line forwards. Unless they are getting a nice future piece, there is no reason for them to take on a contract like a savard, datsyuk, or even sucky vets like Nystrom. They don't have to be cheap.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2016, 02:44 PM
herzausstein

Unless we pick up two forwards that would be beast our best option is 8 skaters 1 goalie.

Johansen, Forsberg, Neal, 1 of smith/Wilson/ ufa/traded forward, josi, Ellis, Weber, ekholm, and rinne. We can only lose one player so if we dont pick up another forward we will likely lose one of Wilson, jarnkrok, or arvidsson (if he isn't exempt) as id personally protect smith out of that group unless arvidsson steps it up big time next season.

herzausstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2016, 03:28 PM
PredsV82
Fancy Stats Denier

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Weber View Post

Exactly. And if we really don't want to lose Wilson, offer LV a pick or one of our surplus forward prospects who won't be available to take Jarnkrok or even Watson instead

06-23-2016, 03:30 PM
Liquidfire3240

Quote:
Originally Posted by herzausstein View Post
We can only lose one player so if we dont pick up another forward we will likely lose one of Wilson, jarnkrok, or arvidsson (if he isn't exempt) as id personally protect smith out of that group unless arvidsson steps it up big time next season.
Arvidsson wouldn't be exempt, since last seson would push him over the 2 year pro limit.

Liquidfire3240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2016, 04:39 PM
triggrman

vCash: 557
Not a realistic or informative article.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2016, 01:09 AM
PredsHabs

Notice what Poile says about 7 and 3.

On the immediate impact to the Predatorsí roster:

ďIt could affect who we sign or who we donít sign. It could affect, now letís say you want to make a trade and you acquire a player, one of things I would have to ask myself and all of our staff, is this player for more than this year, will this player be a player we have to protect, will this player get taken in expansion? So if you give up your first choice for a guy and you had no intention or you couldnít protect him because he didnít fit into your top three defensemen or seven forwards then you have to think twice about that. You start thinking if you have a big player a valuable player, will you be making a trade during the season to sort of cut your losses? Itíll be a lot of things to take into consideration.Ē

PredsHabs is offline   Reply With Quote