HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zidlicky injury

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-07-2006, 05:05 PM
  #1
puckwild
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Minneapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 215
vCash: 500
Zidlicky injury

What's up with his injury. All I've herd is that it's a brused hand. Do you think he will at least be back by Tuesdays NYI game?

puckwild is offline  
Old
01-07-2006, 11:04 PM
  #2
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckwild
What's up with his injury. All I've herd is that it's a brused hand. Do you think he will at least be back by Tuesdays NYI game?

You know as much as we do. Bruised hand, DTD.

__________________
www.thepredatorial.com

barrytrotzsneck is offline  
Old
01-07-2006, 11:14 PM
  #3
Pred303
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Murfreesboro, Tn.
Country: United States
Posts: 3,052
vCash: 500
weber sent back down today..zidlicky probably ready to go sunday against chicago

Pred303 is offline  
Old
01-08-2006, 12:38 AM
  #4
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,223
vCash: 500
Bummer. I kind of wanted to see him play another game.

barrytrotzsneck is offline  
Old
01-08-2006, 01:24 PM
  #5
handtrick
Registered User
 
handtrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 3,111
vCash: 500
Found this statement about Zids injury in the Tennessean today very interesting as a hand surgeon:

"He just had a jammed thumb, and I think it's a matter of getting the swelling out of the joint," Coach Barry Trotz said. "He should be fine."

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...601080396/1028

Most of the time when you "jam" a thumb and there is "bruising and swelling in the joint"....this means that you tore the ulnar collateral ligament [also known as "Gamekeeper's thumb"] which requires 4-6 weeks of immobilization and often times surgery for it to heal right. Conceivably, if it is not taken care of properly initially [meaning allowed to continue to play with taping and splinting and it doesn't heal right]...it can be fixed in the off season.

All this being speculation of course, but if true....don't expect the same Zids initially when he comes back.....

handtrick is offline  
Old
01-08-2006, 02:38 PM
  #6
nine_inch_fang
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,506
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick
Found this statement about Zids injury in the Tennessean today very interesting as a hand surgeon:

"He just had a jammed thumb, and I think it's a matter of getting the swelling out of the joint," Coach Barry Trotz said. "He should be fine."

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...601080396/1028

Most of the time when you "jam" a thumb and there is "bruising and swelling in the joint"....this means that you tore the ulnar collateral ligament [also known as "Gamekeeper's thumb"] which requires 4-6 weeks of immobilization and often times surgery for it to heal right. Conceivably, if it is not taken care of properly initially [meaning allowed to continue to play with taping and splinting and it doesn't heal right]...it can be fixed in the off season.

All this being speculation of course, but if true....don't expect the same Zids initially when he comes back.....
If true why wouldn't you give Weber a longer stay? Hell his shot from the point is 100% better than Zid's since all of them were on net and this kid knows how to lay the body on other players without taking penalties in the D-zone.

nine_inch_fang is offline  
Old
01-08-2006, 02:52 PM
  #7
handtrick
Registered User
 
handtrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 3,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang
If true why wouldn't you give Weber a longer stay? Hell his shot from the point is 100% better than Zid's since all of them were on net and this kid knows how to lay the body on other players without taking penalties in the D-zone.
Point well taken.....trust me on this one though......bruising and swelling in the thumb joint in the absense of fracture usually means one thing and one thing only.....the variable here is degree of ligament tear, not if there is a tear.

It would not be the first or the last time that "the tape it up and let him play" mentality would have prevailed in the NHL....

That being said....it could be a "volar plate" injury, but that would be much more rare, but admittedly an injury that he should be able to keep playing without any long term consequences.....

handtrick is offline  
Old
01-08-2006, 02:58 PM
  #8
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick
Point well taken.....trust me on this one though......bruising and swelling in the thumb joint in the absense of fracture usually means one thing and one thing only.....the variable here is degree of ligament tear, not if there is a tear.

It would not be the first or the last time that "the tape it up and let him play" mentality would have prevailed in the NHL....

That being said....it could be a "volar plate" injury, but that would be much more rare, but admittedly an injury that he should be able to keep playing without any long term consequences.....

I think you're over-qualifying Trotz's statements, really. Trotz is likely talking off his layman-brain about the injury, rather than reciting a medical report.

If the damage was that bad, the doctors would keep him out, most likely...especially with Weber having played a good game or even Klein as an able replacement.

barrytrotzsneck is offline  
Old
01-08-2006, 03:29 PM
  #9
handtrick
Registered User
 
handtrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 3,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
I think you're over-qualifying Trotz's statements, really. Trotz is likely talking off his layman-brain about the injury, rather than reciting a medical report.

If the damage was that bad, the doctors would keep him out, most likely...especially with Weber having played a good game or even Klein as an able replacement.
Yea...you are probably right....it is probably just a bruised thumb.....what do I know...

Funny how Tootoo just had a bruised thumb last year that he got in trouble for fighting with tape on it, then had surgery in the off season on it to fix it.

But I am I sure you are right, and I am probably just over-analyzing it.....

handtrick is offline  
Old
01-08-2006, 03:52 PM
  #10
nine_inch_fang
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,506
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick
Point well taken.....trust me on this one though......bruising and swelling in the thumb joint in the absense of fracture usually means one thing and one thing only.....the variable here is degree of ligament tear, not if there is a tear.

It would not be the first or the last time that "the tape it up and let him play" mentality would have prevailed in the NHL....

That being said....it could be a "volar plate" injury, but that would be much more rare, but admittedly an injury that he should be able to keep playing without any long term consequences.....
I am not doubting your opinion I just don't understand rushing him back in? I know Zids is a great PP specialist but Weber didn't look to bad offensively. Give Zid a couple days to heal then send Weber back.

nine_inch_fang is offline  
Old
01-08-2006, 03:58 PM
  #11
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang
Give Zid a couple days to heal then send Weber back.
But from what Handtrick is saying...I think that it's not an injury that would heal in a couple of days, but would require a 4 to 6 week period of immobilization to heal properly. Unfortunately, I just don't think he'll get the opportunity to let the thumb heal right now and will have to "tape it up and play".

Handtrick, is this type of injury going to "flare up" again throughout the season and cause Zidlicky to miss potentially more games? I'm a little concerned especially with him playing in the Olympics.

Seth Lake is offline  
Old
01-08-2006, 04:05 PM
  #12
handtrick
Registered User
 
handtrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 3,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang
I am not doubting your opinion I just don't understand rushing him back in? I know Zids is a great PP specialist but Weber didn't look to bad offensively. Give Zid a couple days to heal then send Weber back.
The problem is....is that if it is truly an ulnar collateral ligament injury....[which of course we don't know for sure, and I am merely speculating as to the most likely thing with the given info and the probable mechanism of injury with a stick in your hand].....a "couple days to heal" doesn't get it.....you either treat it aggressively at the beginning with full time immobilization for about 4 weeks or surgery depending on degree of the tear and have it heal correctly......or you treat it with taping and splinting and if it heals "loose" you deal with it in the off season.
Meanwhile he might be less than normal in his ability to stickhandle and shoot [depending on which hand it is] for a while.

In other words, a couple of days more probably doesn't give you any benefit.

handtrick is offline  
Old
01-08-2006, 04:11 PM
  #13
handtrick
Registered User
 
handtrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 3,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake
But from what Handtrick is saying...I think that it's not an injury that would heal in a couple of days, but would require a 4 to 6 week period of immobilization to heal properly. Unfortunately, I just don't think he'll get the opportunity to let the thumb heal right now and will have to "tape it up and play".

Handtrick, is this type of injury going to "flare up" again throughout the season and cause Zidlicky to miss potentially more games? I'm a little concerned especially with him playing in the Olympics.
Yes, potentially.....but could be limited, to some degree, by having him completely immobilized the whole time he is not playing, then while he is playing using a splint, under the glove, but with obvious limitations to his ability to stickhandle and shoot depending on which hand it was.

I wish the game was on TV tonight, so I could watch him to see if there are shots of him with his glove off to see which hand it is and how they are treating it, how he shoots, how he stickhandles, etc.....to give me a better idea as to the injury's significance.

handtrick is offline  
Old
01-09-2006, 03:40 AM
  #14
sparkle twin
Real Deal
 
sparkle twin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hendersonville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,941
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Zids back for Chicago finishing with an assist and 1 or 2 shots.

sparkle twin is offline  
Old
01-09-2006, 07:53 AM
  #15
predperson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick
Yea...you are probably right....it is probably just a bruised thumb.....what do I know...

Funny how Tootoo just had a bruised thumb last year that he got in trouble for fighting with tape on it, then had surgery in the off season on it to fix it.

But I am I sure you are right, and I am probably just over-analyzing it.....
yeah, what do you know???.....you are JUST a Hand surgeon.....the rest of us message board posters know more than you do...
/Sarcasm mode off

I think one potential problem is that none of the Predators orthopedic staff specializes in hands.....I hope they don't send him back in too early!

Handtrick, give Michael J. Pagnani a call and discuss it with him.

predperson is offline  
Old
01-09-2006, 04:31 PM
  #16
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick
Yea...you are probably right....it is probably just a bruised thumb.....what do I know...

Funny how Tootoo just had a bruised thumb last year that he got in trouble for fighting with tape on it, then had surgery in the off season on it to fix it.

But I am I sure you are right, and I am probably just over-analyzing it.....
easy there, tiger!

I'm not undermining your hand-knowledge...I'm just saying, TROTZ could likely be talking off his brain rather than a medical chart, and throwing out things that might not be entirely descriptive of the problem...and if it WERE what you suggested...the doctors probably would have caught it.

but if you think you may something they don't...by all means, shoot them a phone call

barrytrotzsneck is offline  
Old
01-09-2006, 07:31 PM
  #17
handtrick
Registered User
 
handtrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 3,111
vCash: 500
Just speculating on possibilities given the information at hand....I am sure the team docs have it well under control and advantage of playing vs. long term potential problems are being weighed.

As to the phone call....they know how to get a hold of me.....

handtrick is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.