HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Get Sykora for Kondratiev

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2006, 10:07 PM
gdflynn1*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue
Quite honestly, I don't like Sykora at all. I feel we have enough scorers as long as they do their job. If your gonna get a guy like Sykora, you don't need a Nylander or perhaps a Rucinsky. What team needs 6 scorers? Usually teams have 2-4, and a few defensive guys, a few hitters, and a few rough guys. Rangers have 6 scorers, 5 defensive forwards, 1 hitter
you are just upset this will limit colton's possible playing time.

Old
01-08-2006, 10:08 PM
TXNYR

This was a great move by Sather both long-term and short-term. You HAVE to give up something. Kondratiev for Sykora is a no-brainer.

Old
01-08-2006, 10:10 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
Let's see...Tyutin is already here...then there's Staal, Sauer, Baranka, Pock, Liffiton, Potter, Guenin, Taylor, Flatt...I'm sure someone else will add names...not to mention who gets drafted in 2006?
Not to mention the very good crop of free agent D-men. Kondratiev could turn into something but he also might not. We know what we are getting with Sykora and again HE FITS THIS TEAM.

The Rangers are going for it and unlike years past they have a reason to add a player.

Old
01-08-2006, 10:12 PM
eco's bones

I think Drats has it to be an NHL D'man but I'm not convinced he's a top 4. He was struggling with us lately. Pock might have got a look see last week in practice to see how he would fit it in. I wouldn't be surprised if he's coming up. This just about knocks Hossa out of the lineup so I have to think we try to deal him too or try to send him to Hartford. He'd have to clear waivers.

On Sykora he has a great shot and is a very good skater. He can play point on the pwp. Has done that a lot in the past. Hopefully he comes with a good attitude and works hard. Is it a good trade? I don't know. I hope it's not Anson Carter II. Because I think there's a chance it might be. But we'll have to wait and see.

Old
01-08-2006, 10:13 PM
Block More Shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
Not to mention the very good crop of free agent D-men. Kondratiev could turn into something but he also might not. We know what we are getting with Sykora and again HE FITS THIS TEAM.

The Rangers are going for it and unlike years past they have a reason to add a player.
Exactly...not only that but Sykora is almost a lock to fit in. When you have fellow countrymen like Straka, Jagr, Prucha, and Rucinsky playing with you, you're going to succeed. Also, they've played in the past and know what to expect from each other. This move makes perfect sense and should really help us.

Old
01-08-2006, 10:16 PM
DutchShamrock

I think that this trade will lead to Hossa being traded in the next week or two. There's no way he cracks the lineup now and we need to make room on the roster for a 7th defenseman. Hopefully we trade Hossa for a prospect or pick and we can bring up Pock or Baranka. Otherwise the trade will have to involve an NHL ready defenseman.

The trade was good because it addresses our lack of second line scoring and we only had to give up a young d-man that may or may not pan out with plenty of sure-thing defensemen coming up in the next year or two.

Old
01-08-2006, 10:17 PM
Fire Sather
new Niclas Wallin?

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Well, the more I think about it, I don't want Prucha at center. Hes too small for one, and just hasnt played there enough (if at all) in his pro career.

this means

Rucinsky-Straka-Jagr
Prucha-Nylander-Syorka

gotta keep Straka with Jagr over Nylander with Jags

Old
01-08-2006, 10:17 PM
gdflynn1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
Let's see...Tyutin is already here...then there's Staal, Sauer, Baranka, Pock, Liffiton, Potter, Guenin, Taylor, Flatt...I'm sure someone else will add names...not to mention who gets drafted in 2006?
or who gets signed via UFA (chara, redden, mccabe)

Old
01-08-2006, 10:18 PM
Levitate

eh, i don't quite know what to think of this. the biggest problem i have is that sykora will be a FA...so this is basically just a move to help the rangers playoff hopes, unless they sign him before the season ends.

but as for kondratiev...i've felt he could be a good player but he's been so inconsistant this season...even when i saw him down in hartford he didn't look too good. the rangers do have a solid stable of defensemen that can pick up the slack...pock is playing great in hartford at the moment it sounds like, and staal is showing he could be ready for the NHL as early as next year. sauer is also quietly having a great season...and baranka is having a solid start to his pro career. so, it's not a huge deal to lose kondratiev.

i guess the next thing you can say is "well, but that asset could have been used in a better way". well, i guess so but if sykora does well and is re-signed then it could still be a good deal

i guess i'm ok with it, as long as sykora plays well and kondratiev doesn't go on to be the next zidiliky

Old
01-08-2006, 10:18 PM
rayzor32

If you look at the shift chart:
http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...6/SC020611.HTM
And the TSN's depth chart:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=8967&hubname=

I think the lines should be:
Martin Straka - Michael Nylander - Jaromir Jagr
Martin Rucinsky - Petr Sykora / Petr Prucha - Petr Prucha / Petr Sykora
Ville Nieminen - Steve Rucchin - Jason Ward
Ryan Hollweg - Dominic Moore - Jed Ortmeyer

Old
01-08-2006, 10:25 PM
Levitate

like others said, i don't like prucha at center. either slide straka down there, or use rucchin, or something

Old
01-08-2006, 10:29 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Downside to Sykora

I have been looking all over the place for bad things about Sykora and theres not a whole lot of bashing to be found.

In terms of Sykora the player, the guy off the ice, one more Czech in the locker room: what could be a downside to having Sykora on the team?

Last edited by abev: 01-09-2006 at 09:23 AM.
Old
01-08-2006, 10:35 PM
polako

eh

at first i didn't like this trade at all...if kondratiev was traded based on his performance, wouldn't that be a bit impatient? a half-season in his rookie year?

however, there is more than enough defensemen waiting in the wings for a shot, so maybe the loss isn't significant. plus, sykora could fill out the second line nicely, play point on the pp, and bring playoff experience.

Still, with the team playing well, i'd have liked to see immonen or helminen get a shot.

Just a thought...has the great success of prucha and lundqvist unfairly raised expectations for younger players on this team in the future?

Old
01-08-2006, 10:47 PM
Draft Guru

This is not the thread to discuss a lack of team toughness or fantasy dreams of players you'd like to see the Rangers get or a plea for Colton Orr to get more ice time. This is a thread to discuss the trade. Please stay on topic. Any future posts straying from the topic of discussion will be deleted and warnings will be handed out. Thank you for your cooperation.

Old
01-08-2006, 10:48 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru
Just speculation, but Kondratiev did leave Hartford for Russia last year. Maybe it was just being homesick, but maybe he's a guy that would rather stay home in Russia. He's an RFA at the end of the year, who's to say he's not going to just go home and forget about the NHL like Rachunek did? Maybe the Rangers felt there was a risk with him that he may just get up and leave, so it was best to move him now while he has value?

Unlikely, but food for thought.
Drats had a bit of an attitude from his days with the Leafs... he probably whined about going to Hartfod, threatened to run off to Russia and asked for a trade. We robbed Anaheim here.

Old
01-08-2006, 11:10 PM
Jackson Ranger

Federov, Hossa, Taffe and Sykora for Lundmark, Balej, Murray and Kondratiev.

I sure hope THIS trade works!

Old
01-08-2006, 11:11 PM
DarthSather99

Us getting our 4th rounder back seals this deal for me. I have grown tired of us throwing draft picks away. Good teams acquire picks.

Kondratiev can be replaced. Maybe this opens a spot for Pock.

Old
01-08-2006, 11:13 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger

I wouldn't do it

Old
01-08-2006, 11:18 PM
Edge

Personally I don't mind the trade. I think with any trade it might work and it might not, but I'd take the chance.

Sykora is 29 and in the right system in today's NHL could have a very nice upside for the next 3-4 years. The guy has shown he's capable of scoring at the NHL and i think there's still a lot of mileage on those tires.

Kondratiev was the price we paid. He certainly has the potential to be a top 4 defenseman, but like Tyutin he seems to play with an absolute lack of passion at times. I think the Rangers have the depth to make this trade and they went for it. My gut told me when they sent Kondratiev down, that they had soured on him a little and I think there might be a little more to that story than what's been told.

I'd be surprised if Sykora isn't in the Rangers long term plans, it just depends on what he'll be paid.

Personally I think it's a very nice fit for the second line and i think the player it could really benefit is Prucha.

Personally I'd do the trade and think it's worth the shot. That's not a gurantee it will work out but I like the possibilities.

I think Kondratiev was going to battle Pock and I don't think he was passing Staal who from what I've been told is expected to make next year's opening night roster.

Old
01-08-2006, 11:20 PM
JerseyRangers

I really like this trade. Sykora is going to have a big second half of the season playing with Nylander and Prucha (or maybe Straka & Prucha). Also this probably means that Rucchin will be shipped out (maybe to the Sens) as soon as Betts comes back. We've got plenty of solid d-men in the system who probably will be as good or better than Drats in a couple of seasons. Whats not to like??

Old
01-08-2006, 11:21 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
The 6-1 Russian showed flashes of being a good-passing backliner, but he was indecisive and not as intense as management hoped
Quote:
the Rangers have two young defensemen with more potential in Hartford, Thomas Pock and Ivan Baranka
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...orts-headlines

Old
01-08-2006, 11:21 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue
I wouldn't do it
On paper this trade makes sense but how come Sykora only has seven goals this year? He kind of fits into the category of hoping you can start up/rekindle a career.

I hope he proves me wrong but this trade seems like a trade for an Anson Carter where you are getting a player who had great stats from the past but just doesn't translate it to NY.

Old
01-08-2006, 11:24 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
"He was sent to Anaheim in July 2002 with Mike Commodore, J.F. Damphousse and Igor Pohanka for Oleg Tverdovsky, Jeff Freisen and Maxim Balmochnykh."

Wow, both teams have a lot to show for that trade.

Old
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Personally I don't mind the trade. I think with any trade it might work and it might not, but I'd take the chance.

Sykora is 29 and in the right system in today's NHL could have a very nice upside for the next 3-4 years. The guy has shown he's capable of scoring at the NHL and i think there's still a lot of mileage on those tires.

Kondratiev was the price we paid. He certainly has the potential to be a top 4 defenseman, but like Tyutin he seems to play with an absolute lack of passion at times. I think the Rangers have the depth to make this trade and they went for it. My gut told me when they sent Kondratiev down, that they had soured on him a little and I think there might be a little more to that story than what's been told.

I'd be surprised if Sykora isn't in the Rangers long term plans, it just depends on what he'll be paid.

Personally I think it's a very nice fit for the second line and i think the player it could really benefit is Prucha.

Personally I'd do the trade and think it's worth the shot. That's not a gurantee it will work out but I like the possibilities.

I think Kondratiev was going to battle Pock and I don't think he was passing Staal who from what I've been told is expected to make next year's opening night roster.
I guess the expectations on Staal continue to grow both within the organization and with the fans.

Old
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger

Balej for Hossa is a wash IMO. The guy is a good AHL goal scorer, not even a great one. That's his one dimension.

Of all the names in that trade, I think Sykora is the only one who even stands a chance at being (or regaining I should say) his stance as an NHL scorer.

I really don't think Fed, Hossa or Balej are gonna make it.

Murray could be an NHL player, but at this point looks to be strictly a fourth liner and I'd rather have Hollweg personally.

Taffe is a crap shoot and Lundmark might be an NHL'er but he's not gonna be the player we expected in NY.

I think the thing to remember is that some of these deals were made because for the first time in years, the Rangers had the depth to try something different when what they were trying wasn't working.

This is a team that has Prucha, Tyutin, Lundqvist, Betts, and Moore all playing very significant roles and guys like Hollweg, Immonen, Staal and Montoya all coming along very nicely.

Closed Thread