HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What I like about this team...

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-09-2006, 10:17 PM
  #1
mino65434
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11
vCash: 500
What I like about this team...

Right now, a whole lot. Even if they happen to lose the last two games of this road trip, it won't damper the fact that it has been one for the record books, at the perfect time in the season, too. Caused the whole NHL to take a hard look at what the Flyers are doing, especially with a young goaltender and so many injuries affecting the team. The fact that all this has happened so fast is crazy, and hopefully, things will just get better (especially the play of Carter/Richards/Umberger, unless they hit the rookie wall, which could be tough). But, with this kind of strong goaltending, and Forsberg and Gagne up front, the Flyers have an extremely realistic shot to be at least representing the East in the Finals this year, if not taking the Cup home.

If you like opinions like these, on Philadelphia sports and sports in general, check out my sportstalk website - www.kingmyno.com . You won't be disappointed.

mino65434 is offline  
Old
01-09-2006, 10:25 PM
  #2
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,163
vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by mino65434
Right now, a whole lot. Even if they happen to lose the last two games of this road trip, it won't damper the fact that it has been one for the record books, at the perfect time in the season, too. Caused the whole NHL to take a hard look at what the Flyers are doing, especially with a young goaltender and so many injuries affecting the team. The fact that all this has happened so fast is crazy, and hopefully, things will just get better (especially the play of Carter/Richards/Umberger, unless they hit the rookie wall, which could be tough). But, with this kind of strong goaltending, and Forsberg and Gagne up front, the Flyers have an extremely realistic shot to be at least representing the East in the Finals this year, if not taking the Cup home.

If you like opinions like these, on Philadelphia sports and sports in general, check out my sportstalk website - www.kingmyno.com . You won't be disappointed.
i agree, but no offence, we think the flyers are good enough to take the cup hoem every season, and look what happens

RJ8812 is offline  
Old
01-09-2006, 10:29 PM
  #3
mino65434
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11
vCash: 500
Yeah but doesn't this team just feel different? It's not a typical Clarkie Flyers team, Hitch has put his stamp on it and made it his own, and it feels like this is a Cup contender for real.

mino65434 is offline  
Old
01-09-2006, 11:12 PM
  #4
Synthetic
Registered User
 
Synthetic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Columbia, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 1,893
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Synthetic Send a message via MSN to Synthetic
Well, we haven't had a Forsberg-type guy in recent years. He just takes the expectation to new levels, I guess.

Synthetic is offline  
Old
01-09-2006, 11:35 PM
  #5
Roger's Pancreas*
 
Roger's Pancreas*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 13,363
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by mino65434
Yeah but doesn't this team just feel different? It's not a typical Clarkie Flyers team, Hitch has put his stamp on it and made it his own, and it feels like this is a Cup contender for real.
The fact that it isn't a "typical Clarkie Flyers team" is entirely the problem with the Flyers. It starts with Brashear and how he doesn't stick up for anyone unless **** hits the fan, back in the day Schultz would have put an end to it before it had a chance. We always had that enforcer or tough as nails player who could and would stand up to anyone for his team. Right now we lack that player and we lack that chemistry in general. I don't see alot of players rushing to each others aid if something should happen.

We need to look back at last years Phantoms to see how they interacted and the chemistry that resulted. We had a heavy weight who wasn't a load, and a handful of middlweights that were just waiting to get into it. There was Gratton, Cote, Skonley, Richards, Eager, Sharp and I know there's more. This year the Flyers have floaters out the *** that need to be unloaded, maybe then we can call ourselves serious contenders.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline  
Old
01-10-2006, 12:01 AM
  #6
mino65434
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11
vCash: 500
you sound really anti-flyers, which is surprising, considering that we have the BEST RECORD IN THE NHL. I don't see what there's not to like about this team, especially in the new salary cap NHL, where you can't just stock a team with high-priced players and hope they gel. The flyers have a great mix of young and old, and they're playing like a real team, with a bunch of players who do different things. You'd be stupid to say that you aren't extremely pleased with how the season has gone so far.

mino65434 is offline  
Old
01-10-2006, 12:13 AM
  #7
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mino65434
you sound really anti-flyers, which is surprising, considering that we have the BEST RECORD IN THE NHL. I don't see what there's not to like about this team, especially in the new salary cap NHL, where you can't just stock a team with high-priced players and hope they gel. The flyers have a great mix of young and old, and they're playing like a real team, with a bunch of players who do different things. You'd be stupid to say that you aren't extremely pleased with how the season has gone so far.
I don't think anyone on here is anti-flyers. I think what the majority of us are are long time Flyers fans that have seen the good and the bad with this team and that there are certain mistakes this team continues to make over and over again that don't get rectified.

Someone mentioned that you can't have a team full of superstars now and that's true. However, you can have a team with adequate players who do an adequate job. When guys like Brashear and Therien are getting ice time, and it's clear from their play that they shouldn't, then there's a problem. That's what frustrates the majority of us. I could care less if it's Randy Jones replacing Therien or some other minor league forward replacing Brashear. Anyone we have with the Phantoms should be much better than what these two guys offer.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline  
Old
01-10-2006, 12:24 AM
  #8
Roger's Pancreas*
 
Roger's Pancreas*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 13,363
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by mino65434
you sound really anti-flyers, which is surprising, considering that we have the BEST RECORD IN THE NHL. I don't see what there's not to like about this team, especially in the new salary cap NHL, where you can't just stock a team with high-priced players and hope they gel. The flyers have a great mix of young and old, and they're playing like a real team, with a bunch of players who do different things. You'd be stupid to say that you aren't extremely pleased with how the season has gone so far.
As a Flyer fan I have some mixed feelings this year. There have been some really great things to look forward to from top to bottom. Our coach has a cup and has never had a losing record, Pitkanen looks like the legitimate number one we've been looking for, Gagne has blossomed into a great leader/goal scorer, and Frank has been stellar when they've needed it.

What I take issue with are the many disappointments this year. After the 2003-2004 playoffs I had an image of what our players could and should play like. Primeau, Johnsson, and Esche were the top players the Flyers had during that special run. This year Primes has been sidelined for god knows how long, Johnsson has been mediocre more times than not, and Esche.... you've read the threads. I was also expecting too much from Jeff Carter and Mike Richards moreso Carter. Richards has been in a slump but that's to be expected from rookies. Carter's play has been greatly disappointing. For a guy with so much offensive potential he seems to be a liability on ice. Then we can look at the Therien signing (which was a paycheck to sit on pine) and how that's turned around to bite us in the ***.

I'm also worried about what happens when this team gets healthy. This team started out struggling early on when we had healthy vets. All of a sudden players started going down and our younger players came up inspired, full of energy. It's their skating and banging around that got us in first place not Turner Stevenson and not Brian Savage. I don't want this team to go into a slump again because Hitchcock has a calary cap obligation to play the wrong players. If Turner's in then so is Savage, and Therien, and Sim; if Turner's not in then we have Ben Eager, R.J. Umberger, and Freddy Meyer. See my beef?

Roger's Pancreas* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.