HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tyson Jost selected 10th overall

Old
03-09-2017, 09:57 AM
Perratrooper

vCash: 500
The Avs better not rush Jost, he had a very solid first season in the NCAA and I think he needs at least one more before we give him a look. He has set a solid bar for himself but he still needs another year of development as a stud and leader for them who knows how to win and then bring him into the fold as a future heart and soul player the exact same way as Parise. I project him to put up Tyler Johnson numbers or Zach Parise numbers if developed correctly. The next question with him becomes do we play him down the middle and if so do we move MacKinnon to wing?

2-3 years down the road having a top 9 of:
Rantanen-Jost-MacK
Landy-Patrick-Duchene
Nieto-Compher-Greer

Perratrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 10:08 AM
ASmileyFace
Perfect Ding Dong

vCash: 50
I think there is a very good chance for him to make the team out of camp next year.

I'm not sure another season in the NCAA would make much of an impact on his game at the NHL level. Some AHL time could be beneficial though.

ASmileyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 10:12 AM
Foppberg

I'd rather him do at least half a season in the NCAA, or CHL than be on our dumpster fires, NHL or AHL.

Foppberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 11:40 AM
McMetal
Writer of Wrongs

I don't buy this line that we need to keep our good young players away from the Avs. If we don't add young talent to this squad, we'll have to turn to free agency again for our roster, and either overpay or get more Colborne and Wiercioch bargain bin deals. At some point you have to just add your new blood in and hope that puts out the dumpster fire.

McMetal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 12:18 PM
chet1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMetal View Post
I don't buy this line that we need to keep our good young players away from the Avs. If we don't add young talent to this squad, we'll have to turn to free agency again for our roster, and either overpay or get more Colborne and Wiercioch bargain bin deals. At some point you have to just add your new blood in and hope that puts out the dumpster fire.
This is it. You nailed it. I'm not sure why people think we need to keep our young guys out of the dumpster fire.

I'm against bringing the young guys like Greer, Compher etc. in this season but on the other hand San Antonio isn't exactly a good place to be right now either, but that is beside the point.

But next season is a fresh slate. I'm guessing the team is going to look entirely different. Bringing guys like Jost, Greer our 1st pick this year in to the mix is not a bad thing. And the toxic players we can't get rid of will be buried.

I really want to see us start next season with Jost, Greer, Compher, Bigras, (possibly Mironov), and our #1 pick injected into the lineup. I also would like to see us trade both Barrie and Duchene. I feel like those two guys of all the core players have the worst attitude.

We should start next season with MacKinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog, Jost, #1 pick, Greer, Compher, Nieto, Ghetto up front. That is 9 solid young guys to build around up front. I'd also like to see Grigorenko back as he is still young and severely under-rated around here. Just because he doesn't score 50+pts doesn't mean he is awful, he is actually a pretty decent 2-way player. Defense should have EJ, Zadorov, (hopefully Duchene trade), Bigras to build around with guys like Meloche, Mironov, Butcher (he needs to get signed) in the fold down the line.

I also wouldn't mind seeing us go after a college UFA or two. I know they don't always pan out, but why not. My choices right now would be Pionk from Minnesota-Duluth right handed dman with a cannon slap shot. he could easily become the next Eric Gelinas but he also could be a decent player and fill a hole we have, a guy who has a big shot from the point. I'd also like Aston-Reese from Northeastern who is probably the #1 college free agent, you don't accidentally score 30 goals in the NCAA. But that is probably going to be tough.

chet1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 12:22 PM
S E P H
@SEPH_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker3434 View Post
I thought he was drafted by the CHL which would prevent him from playing in the AHL.
Junior "A" leagues like BCHL, MJHL, and QAAA all fall under the jurisdiction of the CHL thus why people had questions about his availability for the AHL if he is signed. Only difference between the two are is the actual CHL (WHL, OHL, LHJMQ) leagues pay its players while junior A does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalens Oga View Post
Yeah CHL or AHL is fine for me, a really good CHL team making a Memorial Cup run would be ideal but that's tough.

I don't want him on the Avs next season the more I think about it assuming Bednar is still coaching or we have an inept system/personnel for dmen to get the puck to forwards. We generate so few good offensive scoring chances or cycles in a game that it's detrimental to a guy's offensive development. Mikko had the AHL season at least and he's tracking well but we'll see how he turns out in terms of offense.
I would be utterly shocked if he went the CHL route. In all his interviews, I get the sense he's going to UND for development instead of winning trophies (which the Regina Pat have a good chance accomplishing). If you have player thinking "x team" has fantastic development, you'll be hard pressed to change that players opinion. Only way I see him signing his ELC is to play in the AHL next season. Perhaps there would be a situation where he signs it and is a deer in the headlights not prepared for the AHL. To the point that Sakic and development team him send back to juniors where he would have to report to the WHL. That is a pretty big "if" though, and considering the Avs, they will sign him only if he is AHL ready IMO.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 04:23 PM
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
+ Patrick/Hischier

But I think Duchene is mentally done with the Avs. If the Avs could get a guy like Barzal + a defenseman, the offense still looks amazing down the road.
I'd be cool with Hanifin + Gauthier

cgf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2017, 04:29 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
I'd be cool with Hanifin + Gauthier
Then our coaching staff turns Hanifin into Keith Ballard.

CobraAcesS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2017, 01:46 AM
EXTRAS

What is his upside? Does he play a two way game or strictly a sniper?

EXTRAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2017, 11:23 AM
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXTRAS View Post
What is his upside? Does he play a two way game or strictly a sniper?
His best comp is Zach Parise because of his tenacious play against the puck; and he's more of a playmaker than sniper although he does have a quick & sneaky release.

Old
06-05-2017, 06:50 PM
AvsJost98

Quote:
His best comp is Zach Parise because of his tenacious play against the puck; and he's more of a playmaker than sniper although he does have a quick & sneaky release.
Jost has a high probability of becoming a core player for our team.

AvsJost98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2017, 11:20 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 166
The Avs believe Jost can go to the AHL so that's close enough to an answer I guess

http://leaderpost.com/sports/hockey/...pears-unlikely

tigervixxxen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 09:10 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
I've always thought of him as a Parise/Pavelski hybrid. He's got the tenacity of Parise, but he also has that ability to fade back and find himself in great scoring positions like Pavelski can. If he develops well, he will be one hell of a player.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 10:51 AM
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
I've always thought of him as a Parise/Pavelski hybrid. He's got the tenacity of Parise, but he also has that ability to fade back and find himself in great scoring positions like Pavelski can. If he develops well, he will be one hell of a player.
He's got a knack for it, but not like Pavelski does. I'd say he compares to Parise very favorably in that regard as well.

Old
06-14-2017, 10:54 AM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

I hope the Avs are right on the AHL eligibility. I'd feel much better with Jost being able to have that as an option incase he struggles.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 11:44 AM
Cullen Bohannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
I hope the Avs are right on the AHL eligibility. I'd feel much better with Jost being able to have that as an option incase he struggles.
Me too. I still feel like he might have been better off with another season of marinating in a fantastic college program to polish his game under a competent staff and to build up his strength. It's not like we desperately need to have him in the lineup or anything, this upcoming season is another throw-away anyway. Fallin' for Dahlin.

Cullen Bohannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 03:33 PM
The Kingslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullen Bohannon View Post
Me too. I still feel like he might have been better off with another season of marinating in a fantastic college program to polish his game under a competent staff and to build up his strength. It's not like we desperately need to have him in the lineup or anything, this upcoming season is another throw-away anyway. Fallin' for Dahlin.
He wont be there at 4 when we pick next year.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 04:10 PM
Foppa
Future Norris Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
He wont be there at 4 when we pick next year.
I'm fine as long as that means we are improving as a team and not just because we suck at everything including draft lotteries. Besides, Bode Wilde/Adam Bokvist/Jet Woo/etc...this draft appears filthy rich with impact defenders, especially compared to this year.

Foppa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 05:03 PM
The Kingslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa View Post
I'm fine as long as that means we are improving as a team and not just because we suck at everything including draft lotteries. Besides, Bode Wilde/Adam Bokvist/Jet Woo/etc...this draft appears filthy rich with impact defenders, especially compared to this year.
I know nothing about him. Don't know which league he plays in or which flag he pledges allegiance to but I want Jet Woo.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 05:20 PM
Foppa
Future Norris Winner

Oops Jett not Jet but still...that's a helluva hockey name.

Foppa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2017, 05:24 PM
Avalanche

He would be perfect for the "woo woo" thing the crew at the can wants to happen after every goal

Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote