HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tyson Jost selected 10th overall

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-24-2016, 09:59 PM
  #51
AvalancheFan19
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
This. Jost was the captain and best player on team Canada for the u18s, which is incredibly impressive.
This. He keeps on improving as well. We got a gem.

AvalancheFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2016, 10:02 PM
  #52
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 9,635
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Pronman's scouting report:



He doesn't seem to have questions about his skating like some others.
Well, he might have different parts of his skating which are strength and others which still needs improvement. Kind of like how his agility looks good, but perhaps increasing his acceleration is something that needs work for the pros. If anyone saw the U18 or the highlights on the first post, he isn't a bad skater, he's able to catch up and all of that. But as people get confused with Letang's average defensive game being covered up by his physicality, the same situation might affect Jost's as well. Specifically in terms of his motoring ability where he's all over the ice due to his good hockey intelligence and on ice awareness. CGF, he does seem like a more talented version of Compher, who both share characteristics to Toews and Parise.


Quote:
Originally Posted by returnofthemack29 View Post
Way different players bud.

Bleackley U-18:
7GP 1G 1A 2PTS

Jost U-18(Captain):
7GP 6G 9A 15PTS
Too much of a small sample size against weaker competition to say that Jost is way better. IMO he is, but it's not just because he had a better U18 than Connor. Not trying to discredit Jost's contribution here, but they did lose to Sweden and did get trashed in the Bronze Medal game. It was a bad result for Canada in the U18 with him at Captain.


Last edited by tigervixxxen: 06-24-2016 at 10:17 PM.
S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2016, 10:09 PM
  #53
chet1926
Registered User
 
chet1926's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 6,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Well, he might have different parts of his skating which are strength and others which still needs improvement. Kind of like how his agility looks good, but perhaps increasing his acceleration is something that needs work for the pros. If anyone saw the U18 or the highlights on the first post, he isn't a bad skater, he's able to catch up and all of that. But as people get confused with Letang's average defensive game being covered up by his physicality, the same situation might affect Jost's as well. Specifically in terms of his motoring ability where he's all over the ice due to his good hockey intelligence and on ice awareness. CGF, he does seem like a more talented version of Compher, who both share characteristics to Toews and Parise.


Posters can say "this" how many times they want, if you don't like it, leave or put it on ignore list.


Too much of a small sample size against weaker competition to say that Jost is way better. IMO he is, but it's not just because he had a better U18 than Connor. Not trying to discredit Jost's contribution here, but they did lose to Sweden and did get trashed on the Bronze Medal game. It was a bad result for Canada in the U18 with him at Captain.
Well you kinda just did belittle his performance. He put together one of the most incredible u18s ever, the results were in no way related to what he did. If anything he was the only reason they even made it as far as they did. He did everything he could to get the job done. The rest of the team underwhelmed.

chet1926 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2016, 10:10 PM
  #54
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 9,635
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
Well you kinda just did belittle his performance. He put together one of the most incredible u18s ever, the results were in no way related to what he did. If anything he was the only reason they even made it as far as they did. He did everything he could to get the job done. The rest of the team underwhelmed.
I still love this pick, but I am trying to discredit this draft as a whole than just targeting him as a player. True that hockey is a team sport and teams win and lose, but IMO I don't see him becoming anything except an average 2nd liner or fantastic 3rd line (which of course helps this club).


Last edited by tigervixxxen: 06-24-2016 at 10:17 PM.
S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2016, 10:15 PM
  #55
The Kingslayer
Registered User
 
The Kingslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Siem Reap, Cambodia
Country: Cambodia
Posts: 35,862
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
Rantanen, Jost, Compher, Greer, Beaudin and Nantel. Nice to see we're bring through some smart, talented, and tenacious forwards.

Am I wrong to think of Jost as a rich man's JTC, only with more goals in him?
Cmon cgf. You know we are trading at least three lf them to New York for Rick Nash

The Kingslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2016, 10:16 PM
  #56
El Travo
Duchene for Sale?
 
El Travo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,220
vCash: 500
Watched Jost every home game I could this year. He's going to be great. On mobile so I won't post a full summary.

His skating isn't an issue. It seems that unless a guy has MacKinnon/McDavid speed, their skating recieves very little praise.

He really reminds me of O'Reilly.

El Travo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2016, 10:17 PM
  #57
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118
 
Mystic MacK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 28,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigervixxxen View Post
Btw, any interview links would be much appreciated. Was he the only one not interviewed on tv?
Avs have one up with Boulding.

https://www.nhl.com/avalanche/video/...098/c-44275303

Plus a longer version on their AvsCast. Sounds like Sakic was one of his favorite players, and says he told him "let's do this, let's go win a Stanley Cup!"

http://avalanche.nhl.com/club/podcas...=510&iid=55043

Mystic MacK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2016, 10:18 PM
  #58
AslanRH
Plebeian Poster
 
AslanRH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Wyoming, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,108
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceRat View Post
left someone out
Who?
I'm not sure Duchene will be here, and not sure Greer will be here quite yet (although I hope both will).

__________________
“It's always the vocal minority that gets the attention; and subsequently rules by sheer verbosity.” - Hugh LeVrier
AslanRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2016, 10:19 PM
  #59
tigervixxxen
Moderator
Optimism=Delusional
 
tigervixxxen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 47,397
vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Thanks. If anyone likes interviews, there's a ton of Jost on the pipeline show. I'll put them here if anyone cares about that stuff.

tigervixxxen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2016, 10:26 PM
  #60
Avsblitzkrieg
Registered User
 
Avsblitzkrieg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Westminster
Country: United States
Posts: 1,218
vCash: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigervixxxen View Post
Thanks. If anyone likes interviews, there's a ton of Jost on the pipeline show. I'll put them here if anyone cares about that stuff.
Would appreciate it

Avsblitzkrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2016, 10:28 PM
  #61
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1
 
Pierce Hawthorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Caverns of Draconis
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,190
vCash: 500
With the way the draft shook out, I am very happy with this pick.


It was between Brown and Jost for me at #10, and I didn't care which one we took as long as it was one of them at that point. Super happy with Jost and excited to see what his future holds with the Avs. Obviously he wont be with the Avs next year with his commitment to UND, but in a couple of years he could absolutely be another O'reilly for us, which is exciting to think about.

Pierce Hawthorne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2016, 10:29 PM
  #62
hockeyfish
Registered User
 
hockeyfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: DENVER!!!!!!!
Country: United States
Posts: 10,927
vCash: 500
Glad to have him.

hockeyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2016, 10:33 PM
  #63
SoundwaveIsCharisma
Moderator
 
SoundwaveIsCharisma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Screw You Blaster
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,302
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma


Great to watch his families reaction.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2016, 10:45 PM
  #64
Hasbro
Can He Skate?!
 
Hasbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Rectangle
Country: Sami
Posts: 38,293
vCash: 500
I like Jost, damn did our draft board get et alive before 10!

A bit jarring after the last Avs, Broncos and two Nuggets drafts where a prospect I was covetous of made it to the local team.

I hope the Avs sign Jost halfway through the season and cripple NoDak.

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2016, 10:46 PM
  #65
The Kingslayer
Registered User
 
The Kingslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Siem Reap, Cambodia
Country: Cambodia
Posts: 35,862
vCash: 50
I dont get the knock on his skating. It honestly looks fine to me. Some people made it seem like his skating was Peter Worrel bad.

The Kingslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2016, 10:48 PM
  #66
SoundwaveIsCharisma
Moderator
 
SoundwaveIsCharisma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Screw You Blaster
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,302
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
I dont get the knock on his skating. It honestly looks fine to me. Some people made it seem like his skating was Peter Worrel bad.
Those are Buttons marks...the same guy that said Chychrun had 2/5 defense while Jake Bean (a guy known as having a weak defensive game) got 4/5

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2016, 10:55 PM
  #67
tigervixxxen
Moderator
Optimism=Delusional
 
tigervixxxen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 47,397
vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
Rantanen, Jost, Compher, Greer, Beaudin and Nantel. Nice to see we're bring through some smart, talented, and tenacious forwards.

Am I wrong to think of Jost as a rich man's JTC, only with more goals in him?
Been thinking he's kinda a cross between Duchene and Compher.

tigervixxxen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2016, 10:56 PM
  #68
McMetal
Writer of Wrongs
 
McMetal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Country: United States
Posts: 3,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
I dont get the knock on his skating. It honestly looks fine to me. Some people made it seem like his skating was Peter Worrel bad.
It's fine, just nothing special. It has room to improve, but given his competitive nature, I expect him to work on that and make strides (so to speak )

McMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2016, 11:03 PM
  #69
tigervixxxen
Moderator
Optimism=Delusional
 
tigervixxxen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 47,397
vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsblitzkrieg View Post
Would appreciate it
There's over an hour in these links

http://www.thepipelineshow.com/media...62579200&sn=11

http://www.thepipelineshow.com/media...36572800&sn=10

tigervixxxen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2016, 11:07 PM
  #70
The Kingslayer
Registered User
 
The Kingslayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Siem Reap, Cambodia
Country: Cambodia
Posts: 35,862
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMetal View Post
It's fine, just nothing special. It has room to improve, but given his competitive nature, I expect him to work on that and make strides (so to speak )
If he has the same will to dominate like ROR did im sure he has already been working on that skating. ROR's skating improvement from his rookie year to his sophomore year was amazing. Jost skating doesnt look bad at all though. I was somewhat worried and then I remembered him literally being everywhere at the U18 tourney. I kept hearing his name but that was in December and well the Avs tend to lead me straight to the liquor i mustve forgotten about Jost.

The Kingslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2016, 11:13 PM
  #71
R S
.
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 25,450
vCash: 1000
Thrilled.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2016, 11:18 PM
  #72
chet1926
Registered User
 
chet1926's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 6,899
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
With the way the draft shook out, I am very happy with this pick.


It was between Brown and Jost for me at #10, and I didn't care which one we took as long as it was one of them at that point. Super happy with Jost and excited to see what his future holds with the Avs. Obviously he wont be with the Avs next year with his commitment to UND, but in a couple of years he could absolutely be another O'reilly for us, which is exciting to think about.
I'm not sure it's a guarantee that he goes to ND. I heard somewhere he can play in the AHL as well.

I personally think it would be better for him to go the college route, but if the Avs want to keep a closer eye on him they could sign him and put him in the AHL.

chet1926 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2016, 11:21 PM
  #73
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118
 
Mystic MacK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 28,177
vCash: 500
Something I haven't seen mentioned much, but this kid is gonna take the Avs PP on his back and turn it into a top 10 unit down the line. Very heady, quick decisive puck movement, always keeps his feet moving, competes like crazy, digs in the corners, goes to the net, plays the half wall, snaps cross ice passes, reads plays very well, one times shots with precision in the slot.

The Avs don't really have a great PP QB, but I think Jost will be that guy for them. Not a pure playmaker, but a guy that drives the action, and keeps the PK on it's heels. Someone who just seizes the moment in those big game breaking PP's the Avs keep coming short on.

Mystic MacK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2016, 11:22 PM
  #74
CobraAcesS
Registered User
 
CobraAcesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 12,801
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigervixxxen View Post
Been thinking he's kinda a cross between Duchene and Compher.
Sounds like O'Reilly.

Someone made a comment about him possibly growing over the next year. You kind of forget that it's still a possibility with some of these kids. Especially the ones who clearly still look like kids.

If that kid puts on another 15lbs, and an inch or so he'll be pretty much the same size as O'Reilly as well.

As long as it's muscle and not Bleakley or McGinn style 15lbs lol.

CobraAcesS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2016, 11:23 PM
  #75
tigervixxxen
Moderator
Optimism=Delusional
 
tigervixxxen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 47,397
vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
I'm not sure it's a guarantee that he goes to ND. I heard somewhere he can play in the AHL as well.

I personally think it would be better for him to go the college route, but if the Avs want to keep a closer eye on him they could sign him and put him in the AHL.
He can, anyone not drafted from the CHL can. I think they'll have him go to college for the year, after that we'll see.

Quote:
Sounds like O'Reilly.
In general I don't like ROR as a comparison to anyone. He has very much a unique skillset that I don't think many match. Plus there's a big difference on if you are talking about him as a prospect vs. a NHL player since his game has changed a pretty big amount between those two points. Anyone that is good defensively is said to be O'Reilly but there's a lot of different ways to be good defensively. I don't think of Jost as a defensive center, he's an offensive center who is good defensively.


Last edited by tigervixxxen: 06-24-2016 at 11:30 PM.
tigervixxxen is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:27 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.