HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Tyson Jost selected 10th overall

Old
06-25-2016, 12:33 AM
Pokecheque
Formerly Av-merican

vCash: 500
Sounds like a good pick. Definitely love this kid's story.

Pokecheque is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2016, 12:43 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 166
Here's Pronman's take.

Quote:
Nationality: Canada | Pronman rank: 9

Scouting notes: Jost was simply fantastic this season, putting up huge numbers for a 17-year-old in the BCHL, even when you adjust for its lesser league quality. He is a dynamic, athletic center with decent off-the-puck skills as well. Jost is one of the better skaters in this draft class, with an easy, explosive stride whose first few steps will be able to evade NHL checkers.

Team fit: Jost was nothing short of great at every tournament in which he played this season, and tore the BCHL apart. Colorado has several great young forwards in its organization, but is by no means bursting at the seams. Jost is most effective as a center, even if a minority of scouts feel he'll end up on the wing. He will go to college (University of North Dakota), and Colorado can afford to wait two or three years on him to make room as he develops.

tigervixxxen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2016, 12:47 AM
Joe Sakic
#1 ROR Fan

An absolutely beast pick from the Avs. This kid will be completely carrying our team in a few years and will soon blow ROR out of the water imo.

Joe Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2016, 12:56 AM
GrahamCracker

vCash: 618
Very happy with this pick. After watching some interviews, he seems to have a very team oriented mindset while also being very confident in himself. And his grandfather's reaction to him being drafted made me tear up a bit.

GrahamCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2016, 01:05 AM
the_fan

If I'm not mistaking ROR wasn't that great of a skater either, but his IQ and determination made up for it

the_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2016, 01:11 AM
Jayevs
Formerly avsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fan View Post
If I'm not mistaking ROR wasn't that great of a skater either, but his IQ and determination made up for it
Honestly from everything I've seen, Jost is a strong skater, I think his lack of skating is being wildly over stated. He may not be a burner like Mack or Duch, but he should be pretty comfortably on the level of a guy like Stastny or Couture. He has great edges and is a very shifty skater as well.

Jayevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2016, 01:25 AM
IceRat
#BallsOutTheDoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Something I haven't seen mentioned much, but this kid is gonna take the Avs PP on his back and turn it into a top 10 unit down the line. Very heady, quick decisive puck movement, always keeps his feet moving, competes like crazy, digs in the corners, goes to the net, plays the half wall, snaps cross ice passes, reads plays very well, one times shots with precision in the slot.

The Avs don't really have a great PP QB, but I think Jost will be that guy for them. Not a pure playmaker, but a guy that drives the action, and keeps the PK on it's heels. Someone who just seizes the moment in those big game breaking PP's the Avs keep coming short on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceRat View Post
57m
Nathan Mackinnon‏ @Mackinnon9
@josty_17 Welcome bro !! Looking forward to snapping it on the pp with you!

IceRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2016, 03:15 AM
linusandvarlamov
GO AVS GO !

vCash: 1470
Really stoked the Avs picked him up !! He looks like he's going to be absolutely deadly on the power-play !!

linusandvarlamov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2016, 04:53 AM
UncleRisto
Not Great, Bob!

If you were to compare Jost to Duchene and MacKinnon, how is his game in the offensive zone different? What's his go-to on the attack?

UncleRisto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2016, 05:46 AM
Cooperman

Here is Red Line Report scouting report on Tyson Jost:

7. Tyson Jost Penticton C-LW

A dynamic offensive force. Rips hard wristers for goals, makes delicate set-ups through traffic showing vision, and runs the PP. Terrific skater with power, speed and balance. Understands when his team needs a push and makes things happen with his leadership and competitiveness. Consistently dangerous both off the rush and on the cycle down low tough to push off the puck. Not tall, but strong through chest and core; gets leverage and wins battles. Strong possession game, keeping pucks alive in the offensive zone and opening up options. Has good playmaking ability, but is more of a scorer with a wicked shot that is both heavy and accurate; we think he would be better off on the wing as a pro. Loves the game and plays with loads of passion and energy, but also tries to do too much at times. Needs to keep things simple and try not to win games by himself.

Projection: Speedy, goal scoring first line winger.

Style compares to: The young Zach Parise.

*another note on the skating, for Red Line Report, Tyson Jost is the 3rd best pure skater of the draft: Has elite 1st step and just explodes past defenders.

Cooperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2016, 06:24 AM
tucker3434

So what's the verdict on his skating? I've seen some say strength, some say weakness.

And whats the plan with Jost? I'm most familiar with the CHL route. What are the rules about college? Seems like a lot of guys make the jump after JR year. When could he sign an ELC?

tucker3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2016, 07:50 AM
Foppa
Future Norris Winner

Jost's skating looks like a plus in the videos I've seen...just the eyeball test. But more than that, he's efficient...he knows where he needs to be on the ice. He's not explosive in the MacK or Duchene level IMO.

Jost is going to a great program...I would expect two years and then signs an ELC, similar to the track it looks like Brock Boeser and Colin White are on, or what Nick Schmaltz just did...but if he has a Kyle Connor type freshman year, it's not out of the realm of possibility he signs after only one season. He could sign and then be sent to juniors but my guess is whenever he signs it will be to start his pro career - not to switch from NCAA to juniors.

Foppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2016, 07:58 AM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

vCash: 50
I'm calling it now...in three years he will be traded to the Coyotes along with Gormley and a second for Wayne Gretzky's first head-coach note-pad and a Brett Hull autographed jock strap. Both will be placed in Joe Sakic's mausoleum with an eternal flame which will keep the Lindros trade tree in tact for eternity....which is coincidentally how long it will take the AVs to reach the SCF again.

Seriousness aside...I really like what I've seen of this kid and wonder just how long he will stay in college. I usually hope for kids to finish their degrees because their hockey careers are one Burtuzzi away from being a one game affair...but I think he could actually be a huge benefit if he can transition to the NHL as a LW.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2016, 08:27 AM
ThatAvsGamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Sakic View Post
An absolutely beast pick from the Avs. This kid will be completely carrying our team in a few years and will soon blow ROR out of the water imo.
Hold the phone...

ThatAvsGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2016, 09:26 AM
cooler

Would you rather have Jost + 71st pick or Sergachev?

cooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2016, 09:42 AM
McMetal
Writer of Wrongs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooler View Post
Would you rather have Jost + 71st pick or Sergachev?
Jost. But it's irrelevant because Montreal probably would not have taken the deal.

McMetal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2016, 10:53 AM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

I don't think I've ever seen the board this united on a pick. Not since Duchene.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2016, 11:07 AM
LieutenantDangle
Mikko Kardashian

vCash: 1556
seems like a really solid pick. kid will be a contributor down the road

LieutenantDangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2016, 11:20 AM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

I was a bit surprised to see Hepple liken him to Duchene since he seems to be a different player type, but perhaps that was specifically the ability to protect the puck down low.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2016, 11:25 AM
ItHurtsWhenIP

vCash: 1100
I don't typically YouTube scout, but can someone please fill me in as to why his skating is rated so low? From what I'm seeing, he looks quick. It may not be a strength, but it doesn't look real weak as far as I can see.

ItHurtsWhenIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2016, 12:26 PM
S E P H
@SEPH_WHL

Could someone tell me the story about Jost parent(s)? Found out yesterday that he's coloured blind (with green/red I believe) and that he comes from a single Mom household. Not saying his Dad is a bad guy, but Nugent-Hopkins parents are divorced and both of them were for him at his draft selection. Just curious what happened here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddydroc View Post
I don't typically YouTube scout, but can someone please fill me in as to why his skating is rated so low? From what I'm seeing, he looks quick. It may not be a strength, but it doesn't look real weak as far as I can see.
I appreciate Button and all the work he does, but he's just one guy who also makes mistakes. He had Bean's defensive game 4/5 and I think he ranked Chychrun 2/5. I don't think you'll find many or even one scout who thinks Bean will be the better defenseman in the defensive zone over Jakob.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2016, 12:29 PM
Hans Landaskog

Avs drafted him, so he will bust.

Hans Landaskog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2016, 12:47 PM
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Could someone tell me the story about Jost parent(s)? Found out yesterday that he's coloured blind (with green/red I believe) and that he comes from a single Mom household. Not saying his Dad is a bad guy, but Nugent-Hopkins parents are divorced and both of them were for him at his draft selection. Just curious what happened here.

I appreciate Button and all the work he does, but he's just one guy who also makes mistakes. He had Bean's defensive game 4/5 and I think he ranked Chychrun 2/5. I don't think you'll find many or even one scout who thinks Bean will be the better defenseman in the defensive zone over Jakob.
I think his dad bailed on them completely when he was very young. RNH's folks were divorced, but both were still in his life.

cgf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2016, 12:50 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

I guess this should mean Rantanen stays on the Wing for his career now. As between Mackinnon, Duchene, Compher, and now Jost we have found ourselves with some solid depth at Center again after losing Stas and ROR in back to back years.

Soderberg as well.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2016, 01:02 PM
tucker3434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
I guess this should mean Rantanen stays on the Wing for his career now. As between Mackinnon, Duchene, Compher, and now Jost we have found ourselves with some solid depth at Center again after losing Stas and ROR in back to back years.

Soderberg as well.
I kinda though Jost might play wing. In a few years, maybe we'd be looking at something like this:

Landeskog-MacKinnon-Rantanen
Jost-Duchene-UFA

Then Soderberg/Compher filling out the rest. But I guess that's assuming Duchene is still around.

tucker3434 is offline   Reply With Quote