HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Victor Mete

Old
06-28-2017, 09:33 PM
KFlint

vCash: 500
Elite skating is great, but his stick handling at full speed seems really good. Exciting prospect, seems like a steal!

KFlint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2017, 09:55 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

My memory is failing me. What happened with Mete during our last preseason

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2017, 09:58 PM
Adam Michaels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
My memory is failing me. What happened with Mete during our last preseason
I'm not sure if he payed in the pre-season. He was at the rookie tournament, though. I recall observers were impressed with him. But he was just drafted in the 4th round so some were still unfamiliar with him, especially since everyone was mostly focused on Sergachev.

Adam Michaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2017, 11:25 PM
TT1

vCash: 934
Yea Mete wasnt there.

TT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2017, 11:35 PM
Andrei79

Quote:
Originally Posted by frost king View Post
How much upside could a the kid have, when he has been training with Gary Roberts since the age of 12? How much more growth could there still be?
Still plenty.

Andrei79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 04:09 PM
HabsFanJosh

Anyone else thinking that Mete is Weber's future partner? Keep hearing we have nothing in the cupboard, but Mete had such a dominant season this past year, I think he almost put himself in equal footing as Sergachev. Sure, Sergy has size, but Mete has game breaking speed and uses it to be effective both offensively and defensively. I've seen scouts say that Mete is the best skater in our organization, and considering he have Byron, that's saying a lot. Not to mention he's being developed in London. I, for one, am super excited about this kid.

HabsFanJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 04:42 PM
King In Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsFanJosh View Post
Anyone else thinking that Mete is Weber's future partner? Keep hearing we have nothing in the cupboard, but Mete had such a dominant season this past year, I think he almost put himself in equal footing as Sergachev. Sure, Sergy has size, but Mete has game breaking speed and uses it to be effective both offensively and defensively. I've seen scouts say that Mete is the best skater in our organization, and considering he have Byron, that's saying a lot. Not to mention he's being developed in London. I, for one, am super excited about this kid.
We need to temper our expectations as we have seen many prospects hyped up that never lived up to their expectations.

King In Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 04:47 PM
Habssince89
Drouin alright

vCash: 351
He will probably need a year in the AHL to adjust to pros but I think his speed and IQ will only keep him there a short time and he will soon get a chance to stick in the lineup given the org depth. If he does pan out, he is totally the guy you pair with Weber. They are very complementary in style. Hopefully someone steps up to make it work as a top pair because it would bump down good Dmen to the second and third pairs where they belong (Petry, Alzner, Benn, Schlemko, Davidson to begin with, Jerebek, Juulsen, and Mete as question marks.)

Last edited by Habssince89: 07-17-2017 at 05:02 PM.
Habssince89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 04:48 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Let's see how he adjusts to play against pros, which we won't get a chance to do for another year most likely. He's an exciting prospect, though.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 05:23 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Yeah I'd temper expectations a bit. Let's hope Juolevi makes the Canucks then Mete can be thrust into the 1D role and we will see his true potential. Otherwise we need to calm down a bit as there are not many defencemen his size in the NHL. He really needs to play above and beyond his peers as it will be a huge uphill battle for him to become a professional in North America.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 05:29 PM
DramaticGloveSave

All things considered, Mete and Poehling are the 2 prospects I hope we retain more than any other.

DramaticGloveSave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 07:08 PM
montreal
Global Moderator
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Sergachev has the skill and the physical tools like size, strength to go with skating and speed. Granted Mete is the better skater and quicker but he lacks the size/strength of Sergachev so it's hard to compare them. Back when I started ranking Subban over McDonagh while he was still in the OHL, the one thing I felt really stood out was his physical tools, skating, speed, strength. I really liked his lower body strength and felt that was going to give him the edge as we knew he was skilled offensively. For me Sergachev has all the tools you want, the question is does he have the IQ and ability to put it all together once he's at the NHL level. For Mete it's all about how his lack of size/strength will impact him at the NHL level. In baseball terms, he's already got plus plus speed/skating and that is where the NHL is heading, so it's really in his favor as long as the rest of his game can progress enough. Can't wait to see him in Laval after this upcoming season.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 10:54 PM
Habaholicgolfer
Loyal Habs Fan

Quote:
Good post. And there is some reason to be excited about Mete after the season he had. Let's see if he can make an impact at the world juniors as a 19 year old. That's when we see him and how his skating looks against other competition. Might be a good pairing to Weber in a few seasons

Habaholicgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 11:39 PM
DramaticGloveSave

I honestly believe Mete will be better than Sergachev. I know Sergachev has size and that bomb from the point, but Mete to me is just better at hockey.

Old
07-18-2017, 02:36 AM
The Great Pateryn

vCash: 157
I was somewhat disappointed with his play in the playoffs, but it was probably just a little slump.

The Great Pateryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2017, 08:02 AM
King In Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaticGloveSave View Post
I honestly believe Mete will be better than Sergachev. I know Sergachev has size and that bomb from the point, but Mete to me is just better at hockey.
Absolutely ridiculous. I know we are desperate for elite prospects but these type of statements are unfounded.

Old
07-18-2017, 08:04 AM
Jrham15

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by King In Glory View Post
Absolutely ridiculous. I know we are desperate for elite prospects but these type of statements are unfounded.
Nobody would say what they said if we still had sergachev.

Jrham15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2017, 08:33 AM
SOLR

Quote:
"Unfounded", like if there was an inch of "non-subjective information" on which to sit on (from a fan's point of view), in this case. You are clearly just desperate to assert your superiority.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2017, 08:34 AM
HOPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaticGloveSave View Post
Dont say that too loud... i've been saying that thr day after the draft and people threw rocks at me.

HOPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2017, 08:43 AM
Scriptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaholicgolfer View Post
Good post. And there is some reason to be excited about Mete after the season he had. Let's see if he can make an impact at the world juniors as a 19 year old. That's when we see him and how his skating looks against other competition. Might be a good pairing to Weber in a few seasons
If MON is extremely lucky, Mete ends up projecting somewhere along the lines of a Brian Rafalski who had a large enough impact throughout his career despite the lack of NHL size. It's really only towards the end of his career that injuries started piling up because of it.

We could be surprised, especially considering that there seems to be more room for fast, intelligent, but slightly smaller players in the modern NHL with less clutching and grabbing.

I'm rooting to be surprised by Mete who could be an excellent paring partner for the more defensive and conservative Weber.

Scriptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2017, 09:18 AM
King In Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
"Unfounded", like if there was an inch of "non-subjective information" on which to sit on (from a fan's point of view), in this case. You are clearly just desperate to assert your superiority.
The statement I made is backed by stats, analytics, professional scouting and just common sense.

I am in no way attempting anything that resembles superiority. Clearly the statement made was (without a doubt) ridiculous and I see no issue my statement.

Old
07-18-2017, 10:45 AM
DramaticGloveSave

Quote:
The statement I made is backed by stats, analytics, professional scouting and just common sense.

I am in no way attempting anything that resembles superiority. Clearly the statement made was (without a doubt) ridiculous and I see no issue my statement.
Their age 18 seasons, both in the OHL, were incredibly similar statistically. And from a scouting point of view, Mete gets the edge in both skating and hockey IQ. So ya, Sergachev might be bigger and had the better age 17 year, but last year they were similarly productive and I prefer Mete's game.

So there.

Old
07-18-2017, 10:45 AM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
Quote:

Well if you use analytics, they're both actually very close.

gunnerdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2017, 10:48 AM
DramaticGloveSave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOPE View Post
Dont say that too loud... i've been saying that thr day after the draft and people threw rocks at me.
For me it happened during the season. Watched both play a few times, and it was evident to me that Mete just has a higher IQ. Both have dynamic physical talent, but for me hockey IQ is the most important trait.

Old
07-18-2017, 10:53 AM
montreal
Global Moderator
Go Habs Go

Plus with Mete he's shown improvement year over year so the question just becomes how much can he continue to progress? When you have elite skating and speed, plus he was on pace for 60 pts last year, fans are going to get hyped up. If he wasn't lacking in size he's a top D prospect in the league. Now we'll just need to see how much he continues to progress, how much mass/strength can he add over the next several years, and how his game translates to the pro level. There's clearly a lot to like about his upside, just as it's ok if some posters lower their expectations until they see how he overcomes his lack of size.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote