HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Patrice Bergeron

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-19-2003, 03:42 AM
  #1
Kafka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,108
vCash: 500
Patrice Bergeron-Clear

Hi everyone, being in Montreal, it's hard for me to determine the chances of Bergeron to stay in NHL all season long. Do you guys think he can play more than 10 games with the Bruins? How was his play before getting his 3 pts game against LA?

Kafka is offline  
Old
10-19-2003, 03:45 AM
  #2
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User
 
Frolov 6'3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Netherlands
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 8,788
vCash: 500
Patrice Bergeron

I would like to know who this player is ?
He was drafted in the 2nd round this year, so it was certainly not reasonable you would see him this year in the NHL. He must have made quite an impression at camp to crack Boston's line-up. What are his strongest skills ?

Frolov 6'3 is offline  
Old
10-19-2003, 03:49 AM
  #3
sarge88
Registered User
 
sarge88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 10,787
vCash: 500
He had an excellent camp, very consistent and he worked hard. He doesn't have great speed, size, or a spectacular shot but he has great vision and hockey sense. Many of the regular posters here have compared him to Ron Francis in that you may not notice him all night, but at the end of the game he has 2 assists and is a +3. The coaching staff have raved about his defensive play as well. The real question is how long he can keep it going at such a high level given his age and lack of experience. I assume that he'll hit the proverbial "wall" at some point, but I'm enjoying it while it lasts.

sarge88 is offline  
Old
10-19-2003, 04:30 AM
  #4
BlacknGold Barbarino
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 1,440
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge88
I assume that he'll hit the proverbial "wall" at some point, but I'm enjoying it while it lasts.
This is the one thing that really worries me. When/if he has a rookie slump or catches the sophmore jinx or whatever, how will he and the Bruins react?

Will he stick with it or will he be the Blaine Lacher of forwards? I'm not saying that WILL happen or anything, just that it's something that the Bs need to make sure DOESN'T happen. If they're committed to Beregron...they've got to stay committed. If a slump happens, they don't need anonymous members of management taking pot shots at "players who aren't ready for the NHL".

BlacknGold Barbarino is offline  
Old
10-19-2003, 04:38 AM
  #5
brianscot
Registered User
 
brianscot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: portland, me
Posts: 1,331
vCash: 500
Hmm, to compare his style at least, he reminds me a bit of Barry Pederson.

Pederson had a much better shot, but Bergeron has solid instincts despite not being dynamic in any one area. He appears to just always be there.

I'm not sure he will ever be the finisher that Pederson was (pre shoulder surgery), but Bergeron looks to be the Bruin's best later round draft pick in a long, long time.

Does Daniel Dore still handle Quebec scouting? If so, Kudos, Daniel.

brianscot is offline  
Old
10-19-2003, 05:09 AM
  #6
Bruwinz37
Registered User
 
Bruwinz37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 26,884
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return of the Vin
This is the one thing that really worries me. When/if he has a rookie slump or catches the sophmore jinx or whatever, how will he and the Bruins react?

Will he stick with it or will he be the Blaine Lacher of forwards? I'm not saying that WILL happen or anything, just that it's something that the Bs need to make sure DOESN'T happen. If they're committed to Beregron...they've got to stay committed. If a slump happens, they don't need anonymous members of management taking pot shots at "players who aren't ready for the NHL".
I am not sure I understand your Blaine Lacher analogy at all...doesnt really makesene.

IF Patrice Bergeron does start to struggle a month or two into the season the Bruins always have the option of letting him off to play in the WJCs around Christmas.

That being said, I dont think it will happen. I assume many rookies make squads because of adrenaline and playing above their heads. Bergeron, on the other hand, made this team because he plays smart, he knows the game, and even if his offese isnt producing he still is a valuable player to have. After watching for the past few games he really seems special to me. I say he plays here all year and ends up with stats that look like this 15g 30a 45p....and we should all be lucky to have him.

Bruwinz37 is offline  
Old
10-19-2003, 05:11 AM
  #7
DKH
Registered User
 
DKH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 27,447
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3
I would like to know who this player is ?
He was drafted in the 2nd round this year, so it was certainly not reasonable you would see him this year in the NHL. He must have made quite an impression at camp to crack Boston's line-up. What are his strongest skills ?
you can get my opinion by reading the post about 'after 5 games guess who's been first star in three of them'.....I talk about Bergeron and atleast imo this is what type of player he could become

DKH is offline  
Old
10-19-2003, 05:22 AM
  #8
BlacknGold Barbarino
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 1,440
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz20
I am not sure I understand your Blaine Lacher analogy at all...doesnt really makesene.
Probably a bad example to use. All I'm saying is that, Bergeron has shown he can play in the NHL. How will he and the Bs respond once he hits his first slump? Will they support him, or will they let him flounder? The "sophmore jinx" can be a career killer.

BlacknGold Barbarino is offline  
Old
10-19-2003, 05:36 AM
  #9
DKH
Registered User
 
DKH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 27,447
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Bergeron's biggest asset may be between his ears. Therefore, you'd have to reason he is probably going to be returning to Canada for an extended period only in the offseason. Maybe we could trade him to the Habs for Mike Komasarik since the Habs are always looking for French Canadiens

DKH is offline  
Old
10-19-2003, 05:49 AM
  #10
Jeff from Maine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 9,667
vCash: 500
This Thread Makes Me Think

I was thinking a lot because of this post....and there are a LOT of young, young guys in the NHL so far this season.

Bergeron, Fleury, Ruutu, Horton, Staal and others have all won key roles out of camp!

Fleury is the #1 tender in Pittsburgh.....Ruttu is the #2 center in Chicago...Horton and Staal are the #3 and 4 centers in Florida and Carolina respectively!

I cant remember a year in which so many good young guys have made impacts with their clubs!

Bergeron has done very well! But man....unless he totally comes undone, and we have a LOT of hockey left, Marc Andre Fleury should have an award names after him at the conclusion of this season!

For those who havnt had the PLEASURE of watching him yet....he may possibly be the best best goalie in the league by seasons end!

That is a seriously lofty statement...but he has been NOTHING short of senational so far!

Later

Jeff from Maine is offline  
Old
10-19-2003, 05:56 AM
  #11
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 8,717
vCash: 500
Cant forget about Columbus 2nd rd pick Dan Fritsche and Brent Burns in Minnesota.

LaLaLaprise is offline  
Old
10-19-2003, 09:01 AM
  #12
pei_bruins
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Summerside, PEI
Country: Canada
Posts: 786
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to pei_bruins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff from Maine
I was thinking a lot because of this post....and there are a LOT of young, young guys in the NHL so far this season.

Bergeron, Fleury, Ruutu, Horton, Staal and others have all won key roles out of camp!
I guess everybody who was raving about how good of a draft class it was this year were right, at least so far. I think it's gonna be a very interesting race for the calder, but I have to agree with Jeff, I think it's Fleury's to lose.

pei_bruins is offline  
Old
10-19-2003, 09:49 AM
  #13
Bruinster*
 
Bruinster*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Behind the enemy lin
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,367
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Bruinster*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff from Maine
Bergeron has done very well! But man....unless he totally comes undone, and we have a LOT of hockey left, Marc Andre Fleury should have an award names after him at the conclusion of this season!

For those who havnt had the PLEASURE of watching him yet....he may possibly be the best best goalie in the league by seasons end!

That is a seriously lofty statement...but he has been NOTHING short of senational so far!

Later
Are you serious, Jeff ?

Here Raycroft made the save on almost every shot he receive so far in the season, but you call him LUCKY, and claim he can't get the #1 job over Potvin because of the lack of experience, and today i read this ? "Fleury maybe the best Goalie in the NHL by season end ?"

Seriously sometime i can't seize you, you have "double language" !

Bruinster* is offline  
Old
10-19-2003, 08:09 PM
  #14
DKH
Registered User
 
DKH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 27,447
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Guess what else Bergeron did?

Only time will tell whether Patrice Bergeron is a shooting star- a Wes Walz hockey version of Haley's Comment but he did something pretty interesting. I believe he is the first guy in his 2003 Draft Class it register 5 points? Certainly thats not earth shattering but remember, this guy wasn't even listed in the Hockey News top 50 prospects reports they feature with pictures, stats and review. I can almost guarantee that has never happened and to happen in what is arguably one of the top draft classes ever.

We always hear about the great 79 and 97 Draft Classes and this past one. Ironically, if you look at those two stellar drafts you'd realize one team probably did more for their team than any other- care to guess? The Broons drafted Bourque and the underrated and very good Brad McCrimmon with their 2 first rounders in 79; and in 97 grabbed Thornton and Samsonov- and later got reentering Nick Boynton. Not a bad haul.

You could argue that those 2 drafts could someday cover about 35 years of Bruins hockey and successes.

As for Bergeron, whatever he becomes there is a good chance he may even be the first to 50 and not just 5 and to be honest, considering some of the boys are already playing that would be quite huge.

DKH is offline  
Old
10-19-2003, 09:00 PM
  #15
Goalie27*
 
Goalie27*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Boston, MA
Country: New Caledonia
Posts: 6,857
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Goalie27*
He's got to be the first to get 5 points.... He's leading all rookies so far. He's playing better than anyone could've expected, and hopefully he keeps it up.

Goalie27* is offline  
Old
10-20-2003, 04:30 AM
  #16
Harry Sinbin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Sarnia, ON
Posts: 229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH
Only time will tell whether Patrice Bergeron is a shooting star- a Wes Walz hockey version of Haley's Comment but he did something pretty interesting. I believe he is the first guy in his 2003 Draft Class it register 5 points? Certainly thats not earth shattering but remember, this guy wasn't even listed in the Hockey News top 50 prospects reports they feature with pictures, stats and review. I can almost guarantee that has never happened and to happen in what is arguably one of the top draft classes ever.
I don't even think that he was ranked in THN's top 100 in the draft preview. They only do profiles on the top 60, but they actually produce a list for the top 100.

Central Scouting had him pegged in the late 20's out of North American skaters, I believe, which is right in line with where Boston drafted him. Different strokes for different folks. Regardless, it's good to see a Boston prospect "ahead of schedule" so to speak even if I thought he would be better served in Junior this year.

Harry Sinbin is offline  
Old
10-20-2003, 07:33 AM
  #17
Bruins2020
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 3,198
vCash: 500
Bergeron

I personally don't see Bergeron hitting this proverbial wall in the traditional sense, as many have suggested he will. Sure, he will have a few periods where he won't be as productive as others, as with all players.

Bergeron is not a freakishly skilled kid who is having initial succes in the NHL based on this skill and on the initial adrenaline rush of playing in the NHL.

He's having success right now because he is an extremely intelligent kid who knows how to play the game of hockey, well beyong his years in fact, and it doesn't hurt him in the least that he is also an extremely creative passer. I don't see him waking up one morning forgetting these things.

If he keeps playing like he is now, I can only see him getting better ice time as the season progresses, and playing with better linemates, which IMO, will only help his production.

I would really like to see him get some 2nd line duty with Samsonov and Lapointe. I think Bergeron and Samsonov need to get to know each other, as I think they can be a very productive pair. Put Lapointe on the RW along with O'Donnell on D to add some protection for these two.

I think Bergeron has the ability to find Samsonov with a pass in some very favorable positions. Let these two learn each others moves, and learn where the other will be, more specifically; let Bergeron learn where Sammy will be. Watching Bergeron play this season, and obviously knowing what tendencies Samsonov has, I like this pairing a lot.

Keep the Knuble - Thornton - Murray line, as they work well together, and they creat a lot of problems for opposing teams to defend against. Knuble will approach 30 goals again on that line.

Few other things....

1...Thornton would have many more assists this year if Murray would actualy bury one of his passes. Murray has had some great chances, but hasn't found his touch yet.

2...This is one of the more undisciplined Boston teams in recent memory. The 1st half of the Kings game was brutal to watch. Some fans must have been getting worried that a Boston player would have came from behind and boarded them too...

An undisciplined team sporting a mediocre penalty kill is not a good mixture if you ask me. Sullivan needs to tweak the PK a bit, as we are allowing too many good scoring opportunities.

3...Can't wait to see Zino up here.

4...If I were to guess Ian Moran's ice time per game, I would guess 10-12 minutes, as I rarely notice him, but when I check the stats, he's actually been averaging close to 22 mins a game. That's way too much Ian Moran if you ask me.

Bruins2020 is offline  
Old
10-20-2003, 07:48 AM
  #18
sarge88
Registered User
 
sarge88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 10,787
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceMan
I personally don't see Bergeron hitting this proverbial wall in the traditional sense, as many have suggested he will. Sure, he will have a few periods where he won't be as productive as others, as with all players.

Bergeron is not a freakishly skilled kid who is having initial succes in the NHL based on this skill and on the initial adrenaline rush of playing in the NHL.

He's having success right now because he is an extremely intelligent kid who knows how to play the game of hockey, well beyong his years in fact, and it doesn't hurt him in the least that he is also an extremely creative passer. I don't see him waking up one morning forgetting these things.

If he keeps playing like he is now, I can only see him getting better ice time as the season progresses, and playing with better linemates, which IMO, will only help his production.

I would really like to see him get some 2nd line duty with Samsonov and Lapointe. I think Bergeron and Samsonov need to get to know each other, as I think they can be a very productive pair. Put Lapointe on the RW along with O'Donnell on D to add some protection for these two.

I think Bergeron has the ability to find Samsonov with a pass in some very favorable positions. Let these two learn each others moves, and learn where the other will be, more specifically; let Bergeron learn where Sammy will be. Watching Bergeron play this season, and obviously knowing what tendencies Samsonov has, I like this pairing a lot.

Keep the Knuble - Thornton - Murray line, as they work well together, and they creat a lot of problems for opposing teams to defend against. Knuble will approach 30 goals again on that line.

Few other things....

1...Thornton would have many more assists this year if Murray would actualy bury one of his passes. Murray has had some great chances, but hasn't found his touch yet.

2...This is one of the more undisciplined Boston teams in recent memory. The 1st half of the Kings game was brutal to watch. Some fans must have been getting worried that a Boston player would have came from behind and boarded them too...

An undisciplined team sporting a mediocre penalty kill is not a good mixture if you ask me. Sullivan needs to tweak the PK a bit, as we are allowing too many good scoring opportunities.

3...Can't wait to see Zino up here.

4...If I were to guess Ian Moran's ice time per game, I would guess 10-12 minutes, as I rarely notice him, but when I check the stats, he's actually been averaging close to 22 mins a game. That's way too much Ian Moran if you ask me.


I agree about Bergeron having skills that may make him less likely to hit the "wall", but I do think that 82 games vs. NHL'ers is a lot tougher than what he has experienced thus far. Only time will tell!

Great point about the PK, I think we use far too many people. I seem to remember the great PK teams of the past, Philly of the late 80's and even Boston in the early 90's. Both these teams relied heavily on a select few players, most notably Propp and especially Poulin. IMO the B's have got to find 6 guys and stick with them. Axelsson and Rolston, Green and Sammy, (I know he's not generally used on the PK but I can't understand why) and maybe Muzz and Joe.

I also agree that Moran plays way too much. 10-13 minutes a game is plenty.

sarge88 is offline  
Old
10-20-2003, 08:05 AM
  #19
Newfie Bruin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,056
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Newfie Bruin
Bergeron is doing awesome

I think Bergeron is definitely higher than a 6.5 (according to ratings)

Newfie Bruin is offline  
Old
10-20-2003, 09:52 AM
  #20
Seahawk
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
As a season ticket holder of the Acadie-Bathurst Titan and an avid Bruin fan I was pleasantly surprised to see Boston draft Bergeron. Watching him play here last season he started off on the third line. That line was scoring goals and creating havoc. He was then put on our top line and combined with Ferland and Filion was argueably the top line in the QMJHL. Our management decided to bring back a Euro who was on the top line and Bergeron was then demoted to our second line, guess what, our second line was our BEST line out there on most nights and led us in scoring during the playoffs.

Patrice came to our camp in GREAT shape and was dominant against our team in intrasquad and during an exhibition game 1g 5a. We found out he hired a personal trainer out of his own money this summer and went to power skating school with the intent of making the Bruins. This shows us all how hard work and talent will make your dreams come true.

If Bergeron sticks with the Bruins all season I will be very proud of him. There are not many players who play only 1 year of aaa bantam, 1 of aaa midget, 1 of major junior and then make the NHL.

If however the Bruins management decides he would be better served by going back to the Q I would not be disappointed, selfishly as I would then be able to watch him play for another season or two

Bravo Patrice and keep playing great so you will be a Bruin forever.

 
Old
10-20-2003, 10:22 AM
  #21
SToMper!
Registered User
 
SToMper!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sand Bar
Country: United States
Posts: 3,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk
As a season ticket holder of the Acadie-Bathurst Titan and an avid Bruin fan I was pleasantly surprised to see Boston draft Bergeron. Watching him play here last season he started off on the third line. That line was scoring goals and creating havoc. He was then put on our top line and combined with Ferland and Filion was argueably the top line in the QMJHL. Our management decided to bring back a Euro who was on the top line and Bergeron was then demoted to our second line, guess what, our second line was our BEST line out there on most nights and led us in scoring during the playoffs.

Patrice came to our camp in GREAT shape and was dominant against our team in intrasquad and during an exhibition game 1g 5a. We found out he hired a personal trainer out of his own money this summer and went to power skating school with the intent of making the Bruins. This shows us all how hard work and talent will make your dreams come true.

If Bergeron sticks with the Bruins all season I will be very proud of him. There are not many players who play only 1 year of aaa bantam, 1 of aaa midget, 1 of major junior and then make the NHL.

If however the Bruins management decides he would be better served by going back to the Q I would not be disappointed, selfishly as I would then be able to watch him play for another season or two

Bravo Patrice and keep playing great so you will be a Bruin forever.
Great info, Patrice has been a pleasure to watch here. Should you have put "Love, Mom & Dad" and the end of that?

SToMper! is offline  
Old
10-20-2003, 02:26 PM
  #22
DKH
Registered User
 
DKH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 27,447
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
I've been saying it over and over but the guy plays like Barry Pederson. And if he turns out to be even close to that good and Joe stays healthy the Broons are going to be super down the middle.

This team if healthy is going to be one of the suprise teams in the league- I think they can reach 100 points; when you may have Green, Zamuner and McCarthy on your first line you are deep.

DKH is offline  
Old
10-20-2003, 03:24 PM
  #23
WBC8
Registered User
 
WBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: HFL 4 Life
Country: United States
Posts: 34,987
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH
I've been saying it over and over but the guy plays like Barry Pederson. And if he turns out to be even close to that good and Joe stays healthy the Broons are going to be super down the middle.

This team if healthy is going to be one of the suprise teams in the league- I think they can reach 100 points; when you may have Green, Zamuner and McCarthy on your first line you are deep.

If the dude had a #10 jersey, you couldn't tell if it were 2003, or 1980....

WBC8 is offline  
Old
10-20-2003, 05:43 PM
  #24
Mayhem
Registered User
 
Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: PerfectStorm Country
Country: United States
Posts: 1,359
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Mayhem
I really like the game..

...Bergeron brings to the ice each and every night. I seems to be a very cool, calm, and collected individual who doesn't believe that he is playing over his head right now. He is a very smart player who quite simply makes the plays that are there to be made. Patrice constantly gives 110% each and every night and I don't see why he won't stick with this team for the long haul.

Mayhem is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.