HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2017 Draft & UDFA Thread

Closed Thread

Old
08-03-2016, 11:41 AM
Rangers_23

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matz03 View Post
While I agree that's a huge originizational need, you've got to take the best player available especially with a thin prospect pool, top 6 forward also a need.
Yeah I realize BPA is definitely the way to go to restock a very thin pool. Just curious who is out there that they might take a shot at PMD wise. They have to find some through draft, FA or trade in the next couple years IMO.

It's really a shame that the strongest position in the prospect pool (Goalie), is also the least valuable from a trade standpoint.

Old
08-06-2016, 01:50 AM
Pavel Buchnevich
AV AND GORTON OUT

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers_23 View Post
I know it's early but do any of our draft guru's on this board know how this upcoming draft projects for PMDs? I'd really like it if the Rangers took 2-3 shots at PMD picks in each of the next several drafts with the hopes of hitting on one or two.
This is off of limited viewings. Some of these players I've watched play multiple times, others only one time, one player I haven't watched play yet. I'm also no scout, just a fan who pays attention to the draft. Its early on to be predicting who could be the best defenseman in the 2017 draft, so I might be wrong about a lot of these players. Here's my top 15.

1. Timothy Liljegren
2. Urho Vaakanainen
3. Cal Foote
4. Erik Brannstrom
5. Juuso Valimaki
6. Nicholas Hague
7. Mark Rubinchik
8. Luke Martin
9. Dmitri Samorukov
10. Max Gildon
11. Jacob Paquette
12. Ian Blacker
13. Cale Fleury
14. Artyom Minulin
15. Robin Salo

Very good draft for defenseman under 11 months out. I think it could be one of the best defenseman drafts in years. Liljegren is just a fantastic defenseman. Right now, he's an elite OFD prospect. One of the best in a really long time, and I think he has the ability to be very good defensively. Drew Doughty potential. Vaakanainen has nice tools in almost every category. Foote is a bigger defenseman who is good defensively and can puts up points. Puck skills and skating could improve. Really big potential. Could be a 40-50 point defenseman who's a shutdown D. Brannstrom has some of the best skill of any defenseman in this draft, but he's a smaller defenseman. He'd likely be consensus top 5 player in the draft if he was a few inches taller. Valimaki is a really good all-around defenseman. Not many weaknesses and has good size.

Hague is another big kid. Really good defensively, smart player, skating isn't bad, good shot. His puck skills could get better, and he could become more physical, especially considering his height. Rubinchik is really good defensively, and his offensive skills are good enough. Martin's a big defenseman with size and decent skating. Adequate offensively, but there might be some more potential to his offensive game. Martin could be higher on this list, if he could stand out more. He played this year for the NTDP, and while its not bad that he held his own on a team with numerous 2016 draft picks, he didn't stand out among a weak group of defenseman. Samorukov is a DFD with good size and skating, offensive game is still developing, but I think he could find his way towards the top of the list with a good season. Gildon had an underwhelming 2015-16 season. Size, speed and offensive potential, but needs to perform better. Paquette is a defense first player who's limited offensively. Skating and puck moving is about average. Blacker is the only player on this list that I have not seen play because I only watch pro leagues, CHL and international tournaments. He'll play this season in the OHL for the London Knights, but I've read really good things about him. He's a defensive defenseman who I've read compared to Darnell Nurse. Fleury, Minulin and Salo are all pretty generic defenseman from what I've seen, haven't really stood out that much yet, but I think all three have some potential. I won't lie, I was struggling past #9. There are probably some defenseman that are really good that I just don't know about yet.

Last edited by Pavel Buchnevich: 08-06-2016 at 02:03 AM.
Old
08-06-2016, 07:31 AM
Mikos87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Buchnevich View Post
Nolan Patrick was four days too old to be eligible for the 2016 draft. Auston Matthews was two days too old to be eligible for the 2015 draft. Most thought if Matthews was eligible for the 2015 draft that he'd go third. If Patrick was eligible for the 2016 draft, I don't think he would've even went top 5. He had an awful Memorial Cup, and I don't think he projects as an elite #1C in the NHL. He lacks explosive skating. I think he's closer to a RNH level of #1 pick, if thats where he goes in the draft.
I think you're totally wrong here. I see a franchise defining center. A real deal number 1 that scores and dominates.

He'll probably be a player that consistently hits 35-50 after a few years.

He's a late birthday coming in dominating two seasons.... he'd have gone no later than 3rd in this year's draft.

Patrick's game will be talked about with the likes of Seguin, Stamkos, Toews. He's a complete center that drives a lot of offense.

Old
08-06-2016, 08:10 AM
bigdog16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikos87 View Post
I think you're totally wrong here. I see a franchise defining center. A real deal number 1 that scores and dominates.

He'll probably be a player that consistently hits 35-50 after a few years.

He's a late birthday coming in dominating two seasons.... he'd have gone no later than 3rd in this year's draft.

Patrick's game will be talked about with the likes of Seguin, Stamkos, Toews. He's a complete center that drives a lot of offense.
I see him as more of a Nugent Hopkins type of pick. Similar points in same league. Play different games and Patrick's size is appealing but his skating just isn't up to par with the elite players you named. Definitely don't see him being a consistent 85 point player

Old
08-06-2016, 12:17 PM
Mikos87

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog16 View Post
I see him as more of a Nugent Hopkins type of pick. Similar points in same league. Play different games and Patrick's size is appealing but his skating just isn't up to par with the elite players you named. Definitely don't see him being a consistent 85 point player

I beg to differ, the dub is a league that has a lot of grinding and checking, and perimeter offense does work well there.

The game Patrick plays is complete, hard driving to the net, roofing it with a good RH shot.

The rest of the game is very tight.

Old
08-06-2016, 01:19 PM
Joey Bones
***** 2k16

Nolan Patrick highlights from 2015/2016 season.

Definitely perimeter offense with a hard drive in front.

Old
08-06-2016, 08:57 PM
Leetch3

i have a love/hate relationship with this thread. lots of great info but last year you all got me excited that we were gonna trade up and get charlie mcavoy. then we didn't and now i'm really depressed reading on twitter about how amazing he is lol

Old
08-06-2016, 08:59 PM
Irishguy42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetch3 View Post
i have a love/hate relationship with this thread. lots of great info but last year you all got me excited that we were gonna trade up and get charlie mcavoy. then we didn't and now i'm really depressed reading on twitter about how amazing he is lol
It's okay. We still have the fact that he publicly hated on the Bruins so many times in the last few years.

Old
08-07-2016, 08:28 PM
Joey Bones
***** 2k16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetch3 View Post
Speculation at its finest lol.

Old
08-08-2016, 07:54 AM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Patrick's skating isn't elite, but his overall game ranks exceptionally well.

I'd compare him to Jason Spezza. Size and offensive skills are very close at the same age, as is the skating.

If he develops, Patrick could have a similar career.

Old
08-09-2016, 10:17 AM
Mac n Gs
Gorton plz

Is Finland gonna crank out two more top-5 picks in this draft in Vesalainen and Tolvanen?

Old
08-09-2016, 10:23 AM
RangerBoy
HOPE & CHANGE

The Fins are a country of 5.5 million people and they producing one player better than the other player. So many of their players are playing in the CHL this season.
Old
08-09-2016, 10:28 AM
Irishguy42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac n Gs View Post
Is Finland gonna crank out two more top-5 picks in this draft in Vesalainen and Tolvanen?
Is the sky blue?

Finland is super hot lately in the hockey world.

Old
08-09-2016, 11:01 AM
Mac n Gs
Gorton plz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishguy42 View Post
Is the sky blue?

Finland is super hot lately in the hockey world.
Yeah, they've been fantastic lately. I was just trying to figure out if Tolvanen had the potential to sneak into the top-5. I know Vesalainen is already pegged as a top-5 pick

Old
08-09-2016, 12:25 PM
Mikos87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Patrick's skating isn't elite, but his overall game ranks exceptionally well.

I'd compare him to Jason Spezza. Size and offensive skills are very close at the same age, as is the skating.

If he develops, Patrick could have a similar career.
That's a good comp, he doesn't have that separation speed that a Nate McKinnon has but that speed doesn't translate into an automatic star, no matter how tantalizing the skill.

Spezza in his OTT days was a slippery playmaker that would get cute, I don't see that with Nolan, whose got more of that bland vanilla but effective, I'm going to get pucks and my body to the net mentality.

The head and the hands are there.

I think he ranks 4th behind Mc Jesus, Eichel, and Mathews but is still a real deal number one that puts up points.

I don't think Lilegren challenges him for number 1. Don't think anyone does.

Old
08-09-2016, 12:42 PM
RangerBoy
HOPE & CHANGE

The Rangers do have a PMD. Tarmo Reunanen. He was right there with Olli Juolevi in 14-15. Reunanen missed most of the season with the injury. Very limited viewings. Juolevi played for the best team in the CHL. Everyone saw him.

Old
08-09-2016, 01:15 PM
Mac n Gs
Gorton plz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Rangers do have a PMD. Tarmo Reunanen. He was right there with Olli Juolevi in 14-15. Reunanen missed most of the season with the injury. Very limited viewings. Juolevi played for the best team in the CHL. Everyone saw him.
So is Sean Day. Graves and Skjei both have the ability to move the puck. Tyler Nanne is a wild card and this year will be huge for him, but he has fantastic puck skills. Andersson is a beanpole, but should have more playing time this season. I'm not that confident in Zborovskiy, but he's immensely raw, has size and reach. Maybe coaching can help iron out his game, but we'll see what happens.

Old
08-09-2016, 01:15 PM
Pavel Buchnevich
AV AND GORTON OUT

People are forgetting Vaakanainen. One of the best defenseman in the 2017 Draft. He has a chance at being top 5.

Old
08-10-2016, 10:04 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Don't sleep on Valimaki. I think he could very well come out ahead of Vaakanainen this year. Especially considering he's playing in the dub already.

Old
08-11-2016, 11:20 PM
Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
They need more.

Old
08-15-2016, 12:39 PM
Steve Kournianos
@thedraftanalyst

The Rangers need help everywhere. I think they make a move if Vesey goes elsewhere.

One thing to consider is the NHL might be going for size again. Last year saw a lot of smaller skilled guys get passed over for bigger and/or older players. Then CSB releases its biggest ever preseason "watch" list, and of the 300 first-year eligibles listed, only a handful were under 5'10.

The scouting community is a massive club and most of them lack originality. Some scouts are so old they still look for the next Bobby Clarke. I sat next to one guy at an NTDP game and he fell asleep holding an empty cup of coffee.

The point is that if the League is trending towards bigger prospects like 1995, then the Rangers should follow suit.

Old
08-15-2016, 04:52 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kournianos View Post
The Rangers need help everywhere. I think they make a move if Vesey goes elsewhere.

One thing to consider is the NHL might be going for size again. Last year saw a lot of smaller skilled guys get passed over for bigger and/or older players. Then CSB releases its biggest ever preseason "watch" list, and of the 300 first-year eligibles listed, only a handful were under 5'10.

The scouting community is a massive club and most of them lack originality. Some scouts are so old they still look for the next Bobby Clarke. I sat next to one guy at an NTDP game and he fell asleep holding an empty cup of coffee.

The point is that if the League is trending towards bigger prospects like 1995, then the Rangers should follow suit.
The move they make pends the outcome of Vesey
If they land him it will likely be another move(s)

Old
08-15-2016, 05:59 PM
Mikos87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kournianos View Post

I think it's speed and skating ability that's valued highly above all in recent years.

If they got size, then even better. That simple formula allows you to fill out an NHL team. Scouts want job security, this is the simplest way to get it.

But there is an evolution.... you'll see more and more runs on defensemen in drafts... I predicted one this past year, and you'll see more of that happening thanks to a shortage on that commodity.

That "Modern" defenseman will eventually just be relegated to 1st round. Will be harder and harder to find them in deeper rounds.

Old
08-17-2016, 03:23 PM
cwede

posted this at OffSeason but i guess it really belongs here

been looking for a list of other NCAA guys free as of this week
just found this
http://thehockeywriters.com/college-...quentin-shore/

FYI Eliteprospects says Witthcow will sign with Springfield AHL*
and a Panthers blog added a D named Gallacher(Ohio St then UMass) to the list

*Springfield is FL's AHL affiliate, Wittchow was Fla pick, so its like when Nejez signed with HWP, or if we were to sign Mantha, Iverson to HWP

Last edited by cwede: 08-17-2016 at 03:30 PM. Reason: added note
Old
08-17-2016, 03:44 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwede View Post
posted this at OffSeason but i guess it really belongs here

been looking for a list of other NCAA guys free as of this week
just found this
http://thehockeywriters.com/college-...quentin-shore/

FYI Eliteprospects says Witthcow will sign with Springfield AHL*
and a Panthers blog added a D named Gallacher(Ohio St then UMass) to the list

*Springfield is FL's AHL affiliate, Wittchow was Fla pick, so its like when Nejez signed with HWP, or if we were to sign Mantha, Iverson to HWP
#3 on that list (behind just Shore and DiPauli) just signed with the Rangers.

Closed Thread