HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winnipeg Jets select D Logan Stanley (1/18) Part II (Mod warning in OP)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-24-2016, 08:33 PM
  #1
Hank Chinaski
Global Moderator
\_(ツ)_/
 
Hank Chinaski's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: YTH
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,967
vCash: 50
Awards:
Winnipeg Jets select D Logan Stanley (1/18) Part II (Mod warning in OP)

Stats courtesy of eliteprospect.com

Mod edit: Critique posts, not posters. Go after another poster, and I can guarantee you'll earn an infraction and a threadban. Be respectful!

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2016, 11:30 AM
  #2
hurricanedave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Stanley is definitely less aggressive than Valabik was, Valabik was always gooning it up in juniors. Stanley has better hockey sense by most accounts and better puck handling. Honestly Valabik was really just a huge man with a pretty powerful slapshot. I understand the comparisons here but I don't think they're all that fair, I believe Stanley to be a better player than Valabik was.

My only fear for Stanley's development is he's stuck behind Mikhail Sergachev on the PP, Windsor runs 4 forwards and one D on the PP and Logan barely sees any PP time. I'd like to see him get more offensive opportunities, but listening to Rocky Thompson's plans for him it doesn't sound very promising unless Sergachev finds his way to the NHL. Rocky seems to see Logan's development path to be a shutdown type guy.
Actually to add to my last post, I believe Jalen Chatfield would be an overage player next year so not sure if he'll be playing for Windsor. So there may be a possibility of Logan playing the 2nd PP unit.

hurricanedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2016, 12:12 PM
  #3
koth
Registered User
 
koth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,784
vCash: 50
He's going to be a beaut. Just you wait!

koth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2016, 12:13 PM
  #4
truck
HFB Partner
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9,544
vCash: 500
Some compiled scouting reports for big D men that were selected in the middle of round one.

http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2016/...di-tyler-myers

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2016, 12:30 PM
  #5
Joe Hallenback
Registered User
 
Joe Hallenback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 8,770
vCash: 777
Interesting note is Ellerby,Teubert and Tinordi all suffered injuries. Teubert and Tinordi with concussions. I thinK Ellerby had a back injury

I think it will be important for Stanley to avoid the injury bug

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2016, 12:31 PM
  #6
Evil Little
Registered User
 
Evil Little's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,954
vCash: 1837
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Some compiled scouting reports for big D men that were selected in the middle of round one.

http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2016/...di-tyler-myers
If I'm correctly reading this as an indictment of the Stanley pick, then again someone's making the case that trends are universal.

Obviously they made the pick hoping Stanley is better than most of those players. Because they mostly busted out doesn't mean that he will. The continued implication that it does is getting pretty ****ing irritating.

Just like Chara has nothing to do with Stanley, neither does McIlrath.

Evil Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2016, 12:54 PM
  #7
ruffus23
Registered User
 
ruffus23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,241
vCash: 500
I trust the Jets' scouts as they are considered among the best in the industry. To be among the best they would rely on a mix of traditional scouting, stats, experience and utilizing other professionals (medical, skating coaches, etc...).

It appears that Stanley is a workhorse. Having the highest cardio at the combine is not a fluke. This comes from a dedicated athlete. I think he would be similar to Scheifele in this regard. Skating can be fixed if it is worked on.

I am sure Stanley was carefully reviewed with many factors which were weighted against the potential reward/cost.

I expect to hear some great reviews of Stanley at the prospect camp next week in Winnipeg.

ruffus23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2016, 01:08 PM
  #8
wpgsilver
Moderator
 
wpgsilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,863
vCash: 50
I simply don't know enough to love or hate the pick. I'm taking a wait and see approach. I have faith in our scouts, but I also realize they are not infallible.

I've only spoken to a couple people who have seen him live, and they came away impressed. That encouraging I suppose.

I get that half the fun of being a fan is the investment (or over investment) in every aspect of the team, but the reaction seems a little over the top.

__________________
Team Jester
wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2016, 01:21 PM
  #9
Daximus
Aces Charles
 
Daximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Five Hills
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,439
vCash: 50
I remain skeptical until he proves himself. So far he really hasn't done that. If he was 6'3 with the production he has no one would have really batted an eye at him this season. He would have been just another low production defensive defencemen.
I will admit I wanted Stanley at 36 but the give for the get is what makes me question their intentions. At this point I would have much rather played the odds for defencemen. Trade back pick 22 like how Tampa had on their sheet and take 3 smaller smooth skating but still good defencemen with upside. Adding another 3 defencemen with good potential to our pool plus the rest of our picks from the 4th on would have been phenomenal. Keep the gravy train rolling.

Daximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2016, 01:32 PM
  #10
tacogeoff
Registered User
 
tacogeoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Killarney, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,106
vCash: 50
I think I was disappointed by the pick based on the fact we traded up to select him and from the few playoff games I saw with Windsor this season. I could also be bitter seeing Arizona trading up to grab a falling Chychrun who would of been a nicer prospect at LD.
As many have said it is going to be a boom or bust pick. I see a player which could develop to be a very good stay at home dman with little offensive contribution. That being said I am no expert in body/player development of a person that large which is still growing into his body. I hope he becomes a heck of a player for us.

tacogeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2016, 01:32 PM
  #11
Joe Hallenback
Registered User
 
Joe Hallenback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 8,770
vCash: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaximusPrimus View Post
I remain skeptical until he proves himself. So far he really hasn't done that. If he was 6'3 with the production he has no one would have really batted an eye at him this season. He would have been just another low production defensive defencemen.
I will admit I wanted Stanley at 36 but the give for the get is what makes me question their intentions. At this point I would have much rather played the odds for defencemen. Trade back pick 22 like how Tampa had on their sheet and take 3 smaller smooth skating but still good defencemen with upside. Adding another 3 defencemen with good potential to our pool plus the rest of our picks from the 4th on would have been phenomenal. Keep the gravy train rolling.
You know it is less likely that sub 6 foot D man make it to the NHL then it is for 6'5 plus guys right

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2016, 01:36 PM
  #12
ruffus23
Registered User
 
ruffus23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,241
vCash: 500
it would be nice to see a few sub-threads develop out of this discussion. Some ideas below:

- scouting processes
- development programs within Jets system.

ruffus23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2016, 01:42 PM
  #13
jetdiehard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 184
vCash: 500
He is a great choice, our scouts are very knowledgable on the kids they draft.
Detroit would have taken him if we didn't draft him.

jetdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2016, 01:46 PM
  #14
Whileee
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 25,174
vCash: 500
Shea Weber (Nashville's 4th selection in 2003):

Quote:
Weber is a tough, physical player who fills the Predators need for a big
defender. Weber is most noted for his strong skating ability and his no-fear approach to playing defense. The 6-3 defenseman has the ability to physically dominate opponents and clear out players in front of the net. The Predators thought so highly of Weber that they moved defensemen Tomas Slovak to Colorado to make room for Weber.
Weber needs to add muscle to be successful in the NHL. Weber was member
of the 2003 WHL Champion Kelowna Rockets this season. Read more at http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...huvOJd28OOA.99

Whileee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2016, 01:55 PM
  #15
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi
 
garret9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 18,580
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
You know it is less likely that sub 6 foot D man make it to the NHL then it is for 6'5 plus guys right
Depends on the scoring.

As height increases so does probability of making the NHL, and both decrease with each other.

But, the same is said of scoring with each grouping of height.

High scoring short guys can and do out perform tall and low scoring guys.

And this is with a well documented history of many tall guys being given second and third chances a lot more often than other players.

In the end it is what it is. Jets think Stanley has the ability to be the 15% and not the 85%.

It's up to Stanley, genetics, and luck to become the 15%. All we can do is hope.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2016, 03:13 PM
  #16
Whileee
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 25,174
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Depends on the scoring.

As height increases so does probability of making the NHL, and both decrease with each other.

But, the same is said of scoring with each grouping of height.

High scoring short guys can and do out perform tall and low scoring guys.

And this is with a well documented history of many tall guys being given second and third chances a lot more often than other players.

In the end it is what it is. Jets think Stanley has the ability to be the 15% and not the 85%.

It's up to Stanley, genetics, and luck to become the 15%. All we can do is hope.
Well said.

There are risks for all picks, but moreso if you are small and/or low-scoring.

Whileee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2016, 03:15 PM
  #17
Daximus
Aces Charles
 
Daximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Five Hills
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,439
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
You know it is less likely that sub 6 foot D man make it to the NHL then it is for 6'5 plus guys right
Good thing Johansen, Clague and Green aren't sub 6 foot dmen then.

Daximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2016, 03:15 PM
  #18
Whileee
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 25,174
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaximusPrimus View Post
I remain skeptical until he proves himself. So far he really hasn't done that. If he was 6'3 with the production he has no one would have really batted an eye at him this season. He would have been just another low production defensive defencemen.
I will admit I wanted Stanley at 36 but the give for the get is what makes me question their intentions. At this point I would have much rather played the odds for defencemen. Trade back pick 22 like how Tampa had on their sheet and take 3 smaller smooth skating but still good defencemen with upside. Adding another 3 defencemen with good potential to our pool plus the rest of our picks from the 4th on would have been phenomenal. Keep the gravy train rolling.
A TB trade opportunity is highly speculative. They didn't make any pick trades despite all of the scenarios on that sheet. It takes two teams to want to make a move.

Whileee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2016, 03:19 PM
  #19
Whileee
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 25,174
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaximusPrimus View Post
Good thing Johansen, Clague and Green aren't sub 6 foot dmen then.
Clague measure 5'11.75" at the NHL Combine.

Whileee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2016, 03:29 PM
  #20
truck
HFB Partner
 
truck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Little View Post
If I'm correctly reading this as an indictment of the Stanley pick, then again someone's making the case that trends are universal.

Obviously they made the pick hoping Stanley is better than most of those players. Because they mostly busted out doesn't mean that he will. The continued implication that it does is getting pretty ****ing irritating.

Just like Chara has nothing to do with Stanley, neither does McIlrath.
If you are correctly reading it you'll read it as a compilation of scouting reports.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2016, 03:50 PM
  #21
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain
 
nobody important's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: a quiet suburb
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,180
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanedave View Post
Actually to add to my last post, I believe Jalen Chatfield would be an overage player next year so not sure if he'll be playing for Windsor. So there may be a possibility of Logan playing the 2nd PP unit.
I think Chevy should get in there and broker a deal between Windsor and our OHL affiliate, Barrie. Ducky will bring out the Ekblad in him.

nobody important is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2016, 04:12 PM
  #22
Evil Little
Registered User
 
Evil Little's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,954
vCash: 1837
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffus23 View Post
it would be nice to see a few sub-threads develop out of this discussion. Some ideas below:

- scouting processes
- development programs within Jets system.
Okay, but how many threads to we need filled with unsupported narratives and false correlations?

According to multiple posts in this thread we should be concerned about the scouting department that selected Petan, and DeLeo, and had Brendan Lemieux in the first round because they over-value size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
If you are correctly reading it you'll read it as a compilation of scouting reports.
I would accuse you of being nave, but I don't believe for a ****ing second that you actually think that.

Evil Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2016, 04:26 PM
  #23
Mortimer Snerd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,529
vCash: 334
Just one more perspective on the 22+36 for Stanley ....... thing. TBL traded RHD Anthony DeAngelo to Ari for 37. DeAngelo is very strong offensively. His defense may need a little work. He is almost certainly a better prospect than Stanley and has 3 years of development behind him. If they got him for 37 then surely we could have had him for 36. We could have taken Lucas Johansson with 22 and had a L/R pair.

DeAngelo could have made it that much easier to part with Myers. He will be expansion exempt so right there we could go to 7+3+1. I'm not saying he could replace Myers right away. He might need another year in the A, or not. But his presence gives us a replacement in the system.

Mortimer Snerd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2016, 04:26 PM
  #24
jorbjorb
hello.
 
jorbjorb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 861
vCash: 500
I've come to terms with this pick. He's fackin huge. He doesn't need to put up points. He will be sweet just being on the ice scaring people.

jorbjorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2016, 04:29 PM
  #25
jorbjorb
hello.
 
jorbjorb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 861
vCash: 500
what a bummer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfSiJnp9aDE

jorbjorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.