HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winnipeg Jets select D Logan Stanley (1/18) Part II (Mod warning in OP)

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2017, 05:02 PM
gbill2004*

vCash: 500
Logan Stanley is out 4 months after having knee surgery today.

Old
01-23-2017, 07:00 PM
Channelcat

vCash: 50
With Myers and now this.......I'm gaining a negative bias for freakishly tall D. This is bad news.

Old
02-17-2017, 03:18 AM
Jets4Life

When is Stanley coming back? The OHL playoffs, or is he gone for the season?

Old
02-17-2017, 10:22 AM
SCP Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
When is Stanley coming back? The OHL playoffs, or is he gone for the season?
Next season

Old
03-17-2017, 09:31 AM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 300
Memorial Cup after all?

Spitfires Notebook: Stanley set to rejoin club as he continues rehab

http://windsorstar.com/sports/hockey...-after-surgery

He had the surgery in Winnipeg and has been working out at home in Waterloo in an effort to not be a distraction to the team.

“I’m just working on getting it stronger and starting to get my conditioning level back up,” Stanley said. “There’s no pain or anything.”

Stanley’s goal remains to be back in the lineup with the club in time for May’s Memorial Cup tournament, if not sooner.

“I’m going to try and get back for that,” Stanley said. “I’m hoping to be back for a conference final or final, but we’ll see.”

Old
03-17-2017, 09:45 AM
Huffer

Good news for Logan. I'd love to be able to watch him in the Memorial Cup.

Old
03-17-2017, 12:09 PM
fkdog
'Noo'

vCash: 5797
Does conference final mean memorial cup or regular OHL playoffs? What is the absolute earliest we could expect him back?

Old
03-17-2017, 12:16 PM
Aavco Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkdog View Post
Does conference final mean memorial cup or regular OHL playoffs? What is the absolute earliest we could expect him back?
OHL playoffs

Last season the Conference Finals began April 20

Old
03-17-2017, 12:26 PM
fkdog
'Noo'

vCash: 5797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
OHL playoffs

Last season the Conference Finals began April 20
Thanks hopefully he can get a few games in.

Old
03-17-2017, 12:51 PM
Aavco Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkdog View Post
Thanks hopefully he can get a few games in.
The Spitfires have to win 2 playoff rounds first. They are going to be seeded fifth. Likely play London and then Erie if they win.

Old
03-17-2017, 01:00 PM
Rheged
JMFT

Quote:
The Spitfires have to win 2 playoff rounds first. They are going to be seeded fifth. Likely play London and then Erie if they win.
Bracket of DOOM!

Old
03-18-2017, 01:37 PM
ErnieLeafs

Quote:
We host the Memorial Cup, so he'll be back in action then. We'll need him if we hope to have a chance.

Old
04-13-2017, 03:03 AM
matthole

Where will Logan Stanley be in the NHL?

I was just looking at the prospect pool and noticed that I haven't heard about Stanley in a very long time, maybe it's because his injury or just the fact he's not out of the OHL yet but I wanted to know where you think Logan will be once(or even if, as there is question due to durability and injury factors) he's in the NHL, do you think he will be a 2nd Line Defenseman, do you think he's got the talent to push Morrisey down and could the guy be as good as some of the other giants in the NHL(Chara Like or Myers like). So what I'm asking is the could the guy possible be a really good defender or is he just an average 2nd or 3nd Pairing D-man that's very big? How tall his his ceiling and will he find his first he can't reach?

Old
04-13-2017, 03:37 AM
Jets4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthole View Post
I was just looking at the prospect pool and noticed that I haven't heard about Stanley in a very long time, maybe it's because his injury or just the fact he's not out of the OHL yet but I wanted to know where you think Logan will be once(or even if, as there is question due to durability and injury factors) he's in the NHL, do you think he will be a 2nd Line Defenseman, do you think he's got the talent to push Morrisey down and could the guy be as good as some of the other giants in the NHL(Chara Like or Myers like). So what I'm asking is the could the guy possible be a really good defender or is he just an average 2nd or 3nd Pairing D-man that's very big? How tall his his ceiling and will he find his first he can't reach?
Stanley will probably not be in the Jets lineup for a very long time. My guess is 2020-21. I really doubt he is anywhere close to being as good as Morrissey, and the Jets will be lucky if he ends up being in the top four. Even before his injury, many hockey experts believed he was overrated due to his height. Now that he has missed most of his junior season, it does not look good at this moment, if he will live up to expectations.

Old
04-13-2017, 03:51 AM
Evil Little

vCash: 1837
I think the people who drafted him think he can be really good.

Look at any of the number of previous Stanley threads and you'll notice that the consensus here is that he doesn't have much of a hope of being even a serviceable bottom pairing player.

Old
04-13-2017, 06:28 AM
Imcanadianeh

Most people here have never seen Logan Stanley play a hockey game and hate the pick because he wasn't a point producer in his draft year.

His draft +1 year he put up the same amount of points in almost half the games and then got injured.

Most experts had him being drafted mid late first round. My guess is the only reason the jets traded up to get him is because it was rumored the red wings had plans to take him.

Craig button had his top 50 prospects not in the NHL and Logan Stanley was ranked at 36 I believe and also the 11 defenseman.

I trust the expects opinion on him much more than people who have never seen him play.

The jets have hit homeruns on the previous two defenseman they've drafted in the first round. So I'll trust them.

The only place where the general consensus is that Logan Stanley will be lucky to make the NHL is on hfjets.

Old
04-13-2017, 08:13 AM
scarbrow21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imcanadianeh View Post
Most people here have never seen Logan Stanley play a hockey game and hate the pick because he wasn't a point producer in his draft year.

His draft +1 year he put up the same amount of points in almost half the games and then got injured.

Most experts had him being drafted mid late first round. My guess is the only reason the jets traded up to get him is because it was rumored the red wings had plans to take him.

Craig button had his top 50 prospects not in the NHL and Logan Stanley was ranked at 36 I believe and also the 11 defenseman.

I trust the expects opinion on him much more than people who have never seen him play.

The jets have hit homeruns on the previous two defenseman they've drafted in the first round. So I'll trust them.

The only place where the general consensus is that Logan Stanley will be lucky to make the NHL is on hfjets.
There are 3 real reasons Jets fans have something against Logan Stanley:

1) Jacob Chychrun, and Dante Fabbro were drafted the two picks prior, and ARZ was bold enough to strike to get Chychrun who's already an impact LHD. All they had to do was use their CAP space and take on Datsyuks contract which WPG easily could have done. Imagine Chychrun Morrisey and Trouba anchoring the blue line for the next 7 years.

2) Once Chychrun was off the board, next went Fabro. So the Jets felt they needed to get in on the D and trade up but in all honesty it was too late. Stanley could very well be a good D man in a few years let's not take that away from him. BUT is he going to be better then say drafting any one of the next available D where they would have drafted at 22 without the trade up? Names like Lucas Johansen, Andrew Peeke, Libor Hajek, or my favorite dark horse Kale Clague. Had the Jets NOT traded up they could have one of those guys AS WELL AS being able to draft another young talented forward like Jonathan Dahlen or Alex Debrincat. Stanley has the unfair comparison now of having to be compared against 2 other players instead of on his own merit.

[mod]

Last edited by YWGinYYZ: 04-13-2017 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Political and natd
Old
04-13-2017, 08:20 AM
tacogeoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Stanley will probably not be in the Jets lineup for a very long time. My guess is 2020-21. I really doubt he is anywhere close to being as good as Morrissey, and the Jets will be lucky if he ends up being in the top four. Even before his injury, many hockey experts believed he was overrated due to his height. Now that he has missed most of his junior season, it does not look good at this moment, if he will live up to expectations.
I agree that he will be a while coming and he may eventually be quite good. He is a big body and defensively good from the games and highlights I have watched. It seems most scouting reports have a big issue with his foot speed not being near nhl quality. With his injury/surgery you would think this would set his progression and summer training back a bit.

Old
04-13-2017, 08:23 AM
DRW204

Scarbrow hit it on the head. Chychrun and fabrro going picks before makes me wish Chevy was a little more aggressive. And I highly doubt DRW was going to select Stanley.

Edit
Here's the only thing I could find that ties drw to Stanley. Hardly seems concrete

"I've heard some chatter on Logan Stanley being the guy for Detroit, but I'm skeptical of that rumor. It would be an out-of-character selection for the Red Wings, given his mediocre offensive upside."

Old
04-13-2017, 08:33 AM
ffh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW204 View Post
Scarbrow hit it on the head. Chychrun and fabrro going picks before makes me wish Chevy was a little more aggressive. And I highly doubt DRW was going to select Stanley.

Edit
Here's the only thing I could find that ties drw to Stanley. Hardly seems concrete

"I've heard some chatter on Logan Stanley being the guy for Detroit, but I'm skeptical of that rumor. It would be an out-of-character selection for the Red Wings, given his mediocre offensive upside."
I know of 2 teams that said they would have drafted scheifele at 7. And 1 of them said they had him at 5. Yet alot here said chevy could have dropped down and got him no problem. If you like someone you take him you don't sit there and say i don't think someone will take him if i move down.

Old
04-13-2017, 08:39 AM
Joe Hallenback

vCash: 777
Lets burn money on a gamble at the draft. Sounds like a good way to run a business in a small market.

Its funny how people with hindsight now think Chychrun was so great. I remember people here posting about his "lack of offense" and how we should avoid him. Now hes the bees knees.

Fabbro was ok this year in NCAA and a disappointment at the world juniors. Johanesen in Kelowna didn't improve his numbers at all. Peeke was solid but not spectacular. Hajek didn't improve his numbers at all. Clague who I have personally watched 40 some games this year is great with the puck but terrible without it

Old
04-13-2017, 08:42 AM
Huffer

Really hoping he can play in the Memorial Cup. Give us all a chance to watch him more.

Old
04-13-2017, 08:43 AM
Howard Chuck

The scenarios that has us trading up/down/sideways to pick someone else, aren't always realistic. It takes at least two to trade, and who really knows what Chevy tried to do.

Then again, maybe this is the guy they wanted all along. There is always a lot of angst over drafting, but the Jets get it right more often than not. They have people that have seen him and evaluated him far more than any of us, and they chose him.

Old
04-13-2017, 09:34 AM
Saintb

Is he back skating? How is the rehab going? Would love an update from the locals out there..

Old
04-13-2017, 09:41 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarbrow21 View Post
There are 3 real reasons Jets fans have something against Logan Stanley:

1) Jacob Chychrun, and Dante Fabbro were drafted the two picks prior, and ARZ was bold enough to strike to get Chychrun who's already an impact LHD. All they had to do was use their CAP space and take on Datsyuks contract which WPG easily could have done. Imagine Chychrun Morrisey and Trouba anchoring the blue line for the next 7 years.

2) Once Chychrun was off the board, next went Fabro. So the Jets felt they needed to get in on the D and trade up but in all honesty it was too late. Stanley could very well be a good D man in a few years let's not take that away from him. BUT is he going to be better then say drafting any one of the next available D where they would have drafted at 22 without the trade up? Names like Lucas Johansen, Andrew Peeke, Libor Hajek, or my favorite dark horse Kale Clague. Had the Jets NOT traded up they could have one of those guys AS WELL AS being able to draft another young talented forward like Jonathan Dahlen or Alex Debrincat. Stanley has the unfair comparison now of having to be compared against 2 other players instead of on his own merit.

3) Jets fans are sheep and if one semi-reputable source says it was a bad pick, they're jumping all over that and forming NO OPINION OF THEIR OWN BASED ON FACT!!! It's a simple case much like the United Airlines is having to deal with right now. Everyones blaming united for beating up that passenger and removing him from the plane when in reality those were either Homeland Security agents NOT EMPLOYED BY UNITED, or some other form of airport security.
It's a false narrative that the Yotes only gave up cap space to move up to get Chychrun. They actually also gave up a 2nd round pick. The swap of picks actually cost the Yotes more in pick value than the Jets in the Stanley pick. Wings got Cholowski, Hronek and $7.5 in cap space for Chychrun. Let's wait a bit before we declare that trade a home run for the Yotes. Chychrun has a ways to go before he'll be considered a top D. Hronek looks like a dandy.

Closed Thread