HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Do you have an illegal curve on your blade?

View Poll Results: Illegal Curve?
Yes I Do 18 32.14%
No I Dont 35 62.50%
I dont have a stick 3 5.36%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-15-2006, 09:55 PM
  #1
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck
 
FLYLine24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,936
vCash: 500
Do you have an illegal curve on your blade?

If you can roll a dime under the blade its illegal. Im pretty sure 95% of sticks they sell are already illegal..but im just wondering.

FLYLine24 is offline  
Old
01-16-2006, 05:09 AM
  #2
Qui Gon Dave
Registered User
 
Qui Gon Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cheshire, England
Country: England
Posts: 8,504
vCash: 500
Hmm, i'd be interested to know if i am using an illegal (according to NHL rules) blade. Anyone want to send me a dime through the post so i can find out? How big is a dime? We might have a coin over here of a similar size. If not, i'm using an Innovative tapered Kovalev blade, maybe someone else knows if they are legal or not.

Qui Gon Dave is offline  
Old
01-16-2006, 06:16 AM
  #3
Kimi
Registered User
 
Kimi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Country: England
Posts: 3,591
vCash: 500
I do, but that's because it's been left out in the rain a few times and warped quite a bit. It was legal untill that happened. I need to get a new one...

Kimi is offline  
Old
01-16-2006, 06:38 AM
  #4
Pothier
Registered User
 
Pothier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kingston, ON
Posts: 4,773
vCash: 500
Yep mines definately illegal. I use a SherWood Spezza 1 piece.

Pothier is offline  
Old
01-16-2006, 01:44 PM
  #5
55 Moose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4
vCash: 500
Some sticks are illegal when you get them (maybe Thornton?) but most are not. It's only when you get out the old heat gun that you would have a problem. I know for a fact that about 20% of my league uses deep curves, but who really cares? The only real advantage is toe-dragging someone. When it comes to roofing a shot from close quarters you don't need that curve to do it. It also pretty much nullifies a good slap shot, not that it's important to have one to score.

55 Moose is offline  
Old
01-16-2006, 02:33 PM
  #6
dbbourn
Registered User
 
dbbourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,100
vCash: 500
I have the Thornton curve on my stick and I can pretty much assure you that it is illegal even without measuring. I could use a semicircle in my beer league and nobody would care.

dbbourn is offline  
Old
01-16-2006, 03:02 PM
  #7
EazyB97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 28,689
vCash: 500
Drury (Inno Kovalev) and Modano, and their "clones" are the only legal retail curves that I am aware of. The Iggy might be, but I didn't think it was. Shanny, Lidstrom, Sakic, Yzerman/Gaborik are definately illegal. So most retail curves are actually illegal.

I use Drury and clones mostly so they aren't, but I do switch every once in a while to other illegal curves.

EazyB97 is offline  
Old
01-17-2006, 01:07 AM
  #8
nikebauer
Registered User
 
nikebauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 867
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to nikebauer
My blades are illegal...and I got them from Kovalchuk as an Xmas gift

nikebauer is offline  
Old
01-17-2006, 01:54 AM
  #9
bleedgreen
Moderator
 
bleedgreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: colorado
Posts: 10,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97
Drury (Inno Kovalev) and Modano, and their "clones" are the only legal retail curves that I am aware of. The Iggy might be, but I didn't think it was. Shanny, Lidstrom, Sakic, Yzerman/Gaborik are definately illegal. So most retail curves are actually illegal.

I use Drury and clones mostly so they aren't, but I do switch every once in a while to other illegal curves.
the nnhlers used those retail patterns for at least the first two years of synergy existence, because they were all that easton would make, because the original molds to make the patterns were very expensive and they wanted to be sure it would take off before making more. alot of players used the sakic, and still do. i believe all the retail patterns aside from the yzerman (easton patterns anyway) are legal. they are all no more than a half inch - which is the legal limit....the dime is more of a estimation. they are all listed as half inch or less exept stevies 9/16 - which would obviously be slightly over. if youve seen an yzerman, thats how extreme it has to be to be illegal. if not, how come no one got called fror having an illegal one piece in the nhl for the first few years of synergy's? what about youth hockey? they all use the easton patterns, when have you seen someone get an illegal stick penalty in youth hockey of any level? almost all retail patterns are legal, it would be ******** for them not to be.

as for the previous post about thinking the iggy was illegal...dude, that thing is about as flat as they come. its not even close. i bet the only illegal ones are the yzerman, and maybe the thorton and coffey. leopold mission? thats about it.

bleedgreen is offline  
Old
01-17-2006, 02:34 AM
  #10
hfboardsuser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 12,281
vCash: 500
The Coffey Sherwood sticks are most definitely illegal, and I always get warned by sports shops guys not to buy them if I'm playing league hockey.

However, my CCM Tacks stick is probably the most rule-compliant blade out there. Perfectly flat.

hfboardsuser is offline  
Old
01-17-2006, 12:16 PM
  #11
EazyB97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 28,689
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen
the nnhlers used those retail patterns for at least the first two years of synergy existence, because they were all that easton would make, because the original molds to make the patterns were very expensive and they wanted to be sure it would take off before making more. alot of players used the sakic, and still do. i believe all the retail patterns aside from the yzerman (easton patterns anyway) are legal. they are all no more than a half inch - which is the legal limit....the dime is more of a estimation. they are all listed as half inch or less exept stevies 9/16 - which would obviously be slightly over. if youve seen an yzerman, thats how extreme it has to be to be illegal. if not, how come no one got called fror having an illegal one piece in the nhl for the first few years of synergy's? what about youth hockey? they all use the easton patterns, when have you seen someone get an illegal stick penalty in youth hockey of any level? almost all retail patterns are legal, it would be ******** for them not to be.

as for the previous post about thinking the iggy was illegal...dude, that thing is about as flat as they come. its not even close. i bet the only illegal ones are the yzerman, and maybe the thorton and coffey. leopold mission? thats about it.
Have you measured them on the official blade tool? I don't trust Easton's measurements. As a minor hockey coach my team was called on it twice before the rule was taken out. Both on Recchi curves. Alot of places have taken out the Illegal curve rule and most kids buy blades by which one is the biggest. It would be ******** for them to sell products that don't sell, and for the most part, an illegal curve outsells a legal curve at the younger levels. I have been told by shop members that the only legal curves are the Drury and Modano (ones that have a stick guage). This was before the Iggy came out. The reason nobody called them at the start is the same reason Ilya Kovalchuk isn't called every shift. It's still a risk and most consider it poor sportsmanship. They can say it's a 1/2" curve, but it depends on where they measure it from. It's the same thing with the stock lies.

EazyB97 is offline  
Old
01-17-2006, 12:36 PM
  #12
NJDevs430
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 1,902
vCash: 500
I don't say nothin' without my lawyer...
<(-:{
A current US dime is 17.9mm in diameter.

NJDevs430 is offline  
Old
01-17-2006, 01:12 PM
  #13
Sixty Six
Registered User
 
Sixty Six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,074
vCash: 500
I believe my CCM Stuart is LEGAL

here is a blade chart if anyone wants to look at it...

http://www.hockeygiant.com/bladechart.html

Sixty Six is offline  
Old
01-17-2006, 01:40 PM
  #14
Adriatic
Registered User
 
Adriatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,892
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen
the nnhlers used those retail patterns for at least the first two years of synergy existence, because they were all that easton would make, because the original molds to make the patterns were very expensive and they wanted to be sure it would take off before making more. alot of players used the sakic, and still do. i believe all the retail patterns aside from the yzerman (easton patterns anyway) are legal. they are all no more than a half inch - which is the legal limit....the dime is more of a estimation. they are all listed as half inch or less exept stevies 9/16 - which would obviously be slightly over. if youve seen an yzerman, thats how extreme it has to be to be illegal. if not, how come no one got called fror having an illegal one piece in the nhl for the first few years of synergy's? what about youth hockey? they all use the easton patterns, when have you seen someone get an illegal stick penalty in youth hockey of any level? almost all retail patterns are legal, it would be ******** for them not to be.

as for the previous post about thinking the iggy was illegal...dude, that thing is about as flat as they come. its not even close. i bet the only illegal ones are the yzerman, and maybe the thorton and coffey. leopold mission? thats about it.
exactly right..

Adriatic is offline  
Old
01-17-2006, 02:01 PM
  #15
roryb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 107
vCash: 500
Stick curves aren't really illegal anymore.

roryb is offline  
Old
01-17-2006, 03:45 PM
  #16
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck
 
FLYLine24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,936
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roryb
Stick curves aren't really illegal anymore.

Why do you say that?

FLYLine24 is offline  
Old
01-17-2006, 04:40 PM
  #17
EazyB97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 28,689
vCash: 500
Most Canadian minor hockey league's don't use an illegal curve rule. CCM Stuart is their Modano clone, and is legal.

EazyB97 is offline  
Old
01-17-2006, 06:32 PM
  #18
raskolnikov
Registered User
 
raskolnikov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: LI
Country: Ireland
Posts: 456
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to raskolnikov
what about the crosby curve? i have one of them (as well as a fedorov franklin and yzerman) and it is the most flat of them all

raskolnikov is offline  
Old
01-17-2006, 11:15 PM
  #19
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck
 
FLYLine24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,936
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97
Most Canadian minor hockey league's don't use an illegal curve rule. CCM Stuart is their Modano clone, and is legal.

Wasn't aware of that, i know USA Hockey was thinking about taking the "illegal curve" rule out this year because most sticks were already illegal anyway but they decided to leave the rule in.

FLYLine24 is offline  
Old
01-18-2006, 08:41 AM
  #20
roryb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 107
vCash: 500
The Crosby curve not being one of the most warped isn't unusual. He is known for having a fairly straight blade for backhands....like all the best players haha.

roryb is offline  
Old
01-20-2006, 01:40 AM
  #21
Adriatic
Registered User
 
Adriatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,892
vCash: 500
do you think it would be to possible to buy a custom made curve for myself..lol.

Adriatic is offline  
Old
01-20-2006, 02:12 AM
  #22
bleedgreen
Moderator
 
bleedgreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: colorado
Posts: 10,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97
Have you measured them on the official blade tool? I don't trust Easton's measurements. As a minor hockey coach my team was called on it twice before the rule was taken out. Both on Recchi curves. Alot of places have taken out the Illegal curve rule and most kids buy blades by which one is the biggest. It would be ******** for them to sell products that don't sell, and for the most part, an illegal curve outsells a legal curve at the younger levels. I have been told by shop members that the only legal curves are the Drury and Modano (ones that have a stick guage). This was before the Iggy came out. The reason nobody called them at the start is the same reason Ilya Kovalchuk isn't called every shift. It's still a risk and most consider it poor sportsmanship. They can say it's a 1/2" curve, but it depends on where they measure it from. It's the same thing with the stock lies.
i have a hard time believing the recchi is illegal! that would be the curve i would tell my kids to get! simple mid with a decent toe - nothing crazy at all. i believe you if you say they actually measured - but i find it shocking a recchi is illegal. i agree with the statement companies use generalities on info like that, they are often way off on the lies, as you say.i just dont see how the drury pitching wedge is legal, but the simple mid recchi isnt. around here in CO, it really isnt a big curve thing - the kids here all use modo's and recchi's - maybe iggy. very rarely do i see the kids (i ref and coach) use the lidstroms, yzermans, and thortons - thats mostly adults who cant get the puck up. i believe you if you say they measured, but i wouldve bet my life on the recchi being legit.

bleedgreen is offline  
Old
01-20-2006, 04:10 PM
  #23
Renholder
Racing like a pro
 
Renholder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,573
vCash: 500
I use a Lecavalier Blade and I doubt it's illegal since the curve on it is minimal...but you never know now.

Renholder is offline  
Old
01-20-2006, 09:17 PM
  #24
coyotesfan92
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 26
vCash: 500
how do you know if a curve is illegal. how do you slide a dime under?

coyotesfan92 is offline  
Old
01-20-2006, 09:31 PM
  #25
Dolemite
The one...the only..
 
Dolemite's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 38,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotesfan92
how do you know if a curve is illegal. how do you slide a dime under?

Just match yours with Valeri Bure's stick. If yours is anywhere close to his then it's illegal.

Dolemite is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:03 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.