HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Semenov

Closed Thread

Old
10-19-2003, 02:03 PM
outKast*

vCash: 500
Semenov

I'm still in limbo about Semenov. I think he played solid last night, but not spectacular. Maybe he's a bit rusty, being his first game; i guess he played well. He did a good job shutting down some of the opposition's top six. What do you guys think? Should he be in the lineup over Bergeron or not?

Old
10-19-2003, 02:39 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Yes, and most definitely over Ferguson. Nothing against the guy, he is a decent, albeit below average #7-but he should never be a regular in a top 6 d-man rotation. While I don't like Cross much either, he is ok.

Old
10-19-2003, 02:54 PM
ZIM

vCash:
Last year Steve Staios was the only Oiler defenceman who would get into the rush and go to the opposing net. Then along came Cory (the scoring machine) Cross and MAB. MAB especially moves the puck out of his end and is an offensive threat. Last night against Colorado the Oiler defense was offensive minded and I attribute this change in style to MAB having pushed the veterans to keep their jobs.
I don't care who sits but it should not be MAB.

Old
10-19-2003, 08:53 PM
windowlicker

MAB is so reminding me of Brian Rafalski in his rookie season. People were like "what the hell is that little defenceman doing on the point? or starting that up-ice rush?"

Rafalski posted very good offensive numbers in 4 seasons at University of Wisconsin, then went overseas. His last season in Finland he had 53 points in 53 games. No one knew of him. And now?

Ive been a big fan of MAB ever since he came out of the blue and actually played some regular season games for us (which some thought would be it for his NHL carrier). He looks like a keeper. (man, did he ever tear up the QMJHL, how did he not get drafted??)

Old
10-19-2003, 08:57 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
MAB is so reminding me of Brian Rafalski in his rookie season. People were like "what the hell is that little defenceman doing on the point? or starting that up-ice rush?"

Rafalski posted very good offensive numbers in 4 seasons at University of Wisconsin, then went overseas. His last season in Finland he had 53 points in 53 games. No one knew of him. And now?

Ive been a big fan of MAB ever since he came out of the blue and actually played some regular season games for us (which some thought would be it for his NHL carrier). He looks like a keeper. (man, did he ever tear up the QMJHL, how did he not get drafted??)
It shows how pathetic teams are that they wouldn't draft a kid who sets QMJHL records for goals scored by a Dman. I mean even in the ninth bloody round!!!!!! But I think Semi did damn good considering he'd have to be a bit rusty not playing in a few weeks, the nerves of playing first game of the year, and on top of all that having to play against the Avs lineup.

Old
10-19-2003, 09:17 PM
Oi'll say!

In Bergeron's draft year he was coming off of a 35 point season, when he was 18/19 he had a 74 point season.

The Oil signed him in the summer after he had his 101 point season in the Q, he was 20 at the time.

It's surprising to me that the Habs didn't snatch him up, or a team with a lot more money, I'd be very interested to hear the story of how the Oilers managed to land him at that point in time. He won every top honour a d-man in Major Junior could have won that year.

Old
10-20-2003, 04:46 AM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
It's surprising to me that the Habs didn't snatch him up, or a team with a lot more money, I'd be very interested to hear the story of how the Oilers managed to land him at that point in time. He won every top honour a d-man in Major Junior could have won that year.
I wonder if it's as simple as they talked to him after the 74 point season, and so got their foot in the door, whereas some other teams didn't really notice til after the 101 point season? I'd sure want to reward the team that had a little faith in me, if that was the sitch.

Of course, I could be totally wrong - perhaps our inside line will comment?

Old
10-20-2003, 06:39 AM
Spearing47

Send a message via MSN to Spearing47
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraigus
I wonder if it's as simple as they talked to him after the 74 point season, and so got their foot in the door, whereas some other teams didn't really notice til after the 101 point season? I'd sure want to reward the team that had a little faith in me, if that was the sitch.

Of course, I could be totally wrong - perhaps our inside line will comment?
In fact, nobody really noticed him the year the year he had 74 points, he was playing solid hockey, he was good defensively, racked up a few points and fight sometimes. No teams invited him to a pro camp or even show a little interest. In fact his agent received 0 phones calls...

The year when he broke the record he was so dominant. Total control of the game, he was quicker than any other D-man in the league, had a better shot and was surprisingly phisically dominant. I think that's where they began to notice him. That year he had so much pressure when he was around 35 goals that he had chronic back pain due to stress. he was the only player on Shawinigan bench to stay up all game long, he wasn't able to sit!! All the papers and the tv talked about it everyday, it was the first time he had to deal with pressure. That's why he's now so strong mentally, he never had it easy in his career.

During the year 2000 when media were talkin' about the record, a few scouts came to Shawinigan to see what was going on. But no real interest was shown. But during 2000 playoffs, where Bergy had a strong run, teams like St.Louis, Edmonton and Dallas showed some kind of interest. But the team that fitted more his style was the Oilers. His agent looked at the depth chart of each team and the Oilers were te best organisation to end up with. They are proven to rely on their organisation more than any other team to fill their needs. So in may 2000 they made him an offer (Oils are the only team that offered him a contract) and he accepted it rigth away!

Well...to sum up, it took him a 46 goals, 116 points 209 Pim in 84 games to get noticed!

You'll see...he's a winner. And nothing really scares him...that's the funniest part!

Old
10-20-2003, 06:59 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Good to have this insight! Do you remember back to when he was drafted..... did he think he had a chance to be a late round pick? Was he disapointed when he wasn't picked?

Old
10-20-2003, 07:19 AM
Spearing47

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Good to have this insight! Do you remember back to when he was drafted..... did he think he had a chance to be a late round pick? Was he disapointed when he wasn't picked?

As far as I remember....1998 was his draft year. I think Bergy didn't really cared about the draft. I'm not even sure if he knew that the NHL draft was in June ...It sure was a deception for him but he knew that was a height problem ... as usual. He was only 18 (1 st full season in the Q). And remember , he was a forward for most of his minor hockey. He began playing defence on a steady basis at age 16. At 18 he had a lot of positionning problems ...

Old
10-20-2003, 07:45 AM
goldenchild

Well I don't know what to think anymore. i believe Semmy should be in but I love what MAB brings he has great insitincts and does the best job I have seen of keeping plays alive in the offensive zone. I was railing for Fergy to be out but thought he played pretty solid sat night. Cross is slow but can be effective in limited minutes and looked ok on the PP. I guess a rotation of Fergy, MAB and Semmy would be ok.

Old
10-20-2003, 01:56 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEGOON63
In fact, nobody really noticed him the year the year he had 74 points, he was playing solid hockey, he was good defensively, racked up a few points and fight sometimes. No teams invited him to a pro camp or even show a little interest. In fact his agent received 0 phones calls...

The year when he broke the record he was so dominant. Total control of the game, he was quicker than any other D-man in the league, had a better shot and was surprisingly phisically dominant. I think that's where they began to notice him. That year he had so much pressure when he was around 35 goals that he had chronic back pain due to stress. he was the only player on Shawinigan bench to stay up all game long, he wasn't able to sit!! All the papers and the tv talked about it everyday, it was the first time he had to deal with pressure. That's why he's now so strong mentally, he never had it easy in his career.

During the year 2000 when media were talkin' about the record, a few scouts came to Shawinigan to see what was going on. But no real interest was shown. But during 2000 playoffs, where Bergy had a strong run, teams like St.Louis, Edmonton and Dallas showed some kind of interest. But the team that fitted more his style was the Oilers. His agent looked at the depth chart of each team and the Oilers were te best organisation to end up with. They are proven to rely on their organisation more than any other team to fill their needs. So in may 2000 they made him an offer (Oils are the only team that offered him a contract) and he accepted it rigth away!

Well...to sum up, it took him a 46 goals, 116 points 209 Pim in 84 games to get noticed!

You'll see...he's a winner. And nothing really scares him...that's the funniest part!
Thanks TG63, I just came back to this thread to check for an answer!

I'm very surprised to see that only 3 teams showed any interest at all and even more surprised that the Habs weren't one of them.

Was Marc upset that his hometown team didn't take any notice of him? They had to have the inside scoop from the media, and the Canadiens are always stocking up on quebec-born players.

Old
10-20-2003, 02:02 PM
Spearing47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
Thanks TG63, I just came back to this thread to check for an answer!

I'm very surprised to see that only 3 teams showed any interest at all and even more surprised that the Habs weren't one of them.

Was Marc upset that his hometown team didn't take any notice of him? They had to have the inside scoop from the media, and the Canadiens are always stocking up on quebec-born players.
I think it's his worst nightmare...!! He wasn't upset...it was a relief!!

Old
10-20-2003, 02:14 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEGOON63
I think it's his worst nightmare...!! He wasn't upset...it was a relief!!
Laraque made some comments of that nature to the media in Quebec, they went nuts on him.

They couldn't believe that a Que native wouldn't want to wear the rouge, blanc, et blue.

Thanks again bud!

Old
10-20-2003, 02:43 PM
Lowetide

I don't think this is so bad for Semenov. Defenseman always take a long time, these two guys are 22. Doesn't hurt to sit out a few, the Habs always used to do that back in the day.

Then there's injuries, etc. imo if this keeps on like this, they'll rest Cross or Ferguson will get a charley horse.

I appreciate Ferguson's game, but he could easily be dealt at the deadline ala Sean Brown. By then, the 22 year olds should be ready to play every game.

Old
10-20-2003, 02:47 PM
Hemmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
I don't think this is so bad for Semenov. Defenseman always take a long time, these two guys are 22. Doesn't hurt to sit out a few, the Habs always used to do that back in the day.

Then there's injuries, etc. imo if this keeps on like this, they'll rest Cross or Ferguson will get a charley horse.

I appreciate Ferguson's game, but he could easily be dealt at the deadline ala Sean Brown. By then, the 22 year olds should be ready to play every game.
If we got a warm body or a pick in return for Ferguson at the deadline, I would be thrilled. I love him too, but he is the type of guy that probably wouldn't be in the NHL if it weren't for Charlie Huddy and MacT. Hard worker, but we need some bodies developing on the back line.

Closed Thread