HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Odd NYR Stat: Defense = Offense?

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2006, 06:53 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

vCash: 500
Odd NYR Stat: Defense = Offense?

When I noticed that Sykora is now second on the team in SOG, even though hes played almost a dozen less games then the rest of his new team... I found this.

The Rangers Winning % when being OUTSHOT is .647

The Rangers Winning % when OUTSHOOTING their oppenent is .435

Thats a pretty large margin... A Lot of factors determine that, interesting to say the least.
Its not like the Rangers are a great Transition team like Ottawa.

One word. Lundqvist.

Old
01-09-2006, 07:06 PM
NYRGoalieGlut*

I saw that stat recently and thought it was wierd. That still doesn't explain why we're under .500 when we outshoot the opponent, maybe Lundqvist is like Luongo in that he needs a high workload.

Old
01-09-2006, 07:15 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Renney recently held a practice, maybe before the Philly game, where players would break in on net as a pair and had to get a shot off. If you didn't get a shot off, you had to do laps. To me, it seemed counterintuitive to the way the scorers on the team operate, but I can see where he was going with respect to generating offense.

Anyway, perhaps when the Rangers are just gunning on net, they're abandoning the puck possession game that can be so frustrating to watch. More shots, but lower percentage ones.

Old
01-09-2006, 07:26 PM
shoothepuck

Still the only way to score is to shoot the puck, and it's no mystery, that the league leader in points also leads in shots on goal. Thats the other trick, NY needs to get the shots ON goal, not miss the net.

Old
01-09-2006, 07:44 PM
NYRGoalieGlut*

Also something I don't understand. Something seems fishy. Not counting the Panthers game, the Rangers were about +2 in shots on goal, so how is it that we win so much more when we get outshot? Is it that when we outshoot teams we outshoot them by large margins and that's why our shots on goal differential is positive, but we just get outshot more?

Old
01-09-2006, 09:36 PM
bmoak

Please don't use the Luongo comparisons for Lundqvist in regards to shots faced. Luongo is #1 in the shots-per-game category by a large margin. Lundqvist is #30 (almost 10 shots fewer per game). Weeks faces even less rubber.

Closed Thread