HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT Game #45 1/15/06 Pittsburgh at Nashville 7:00CST

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2006, 10:34 AM
handtrick

vCash: 500
GDT Game #45 1/15/06 Pittsburgh at Nashville 7:00CST

I'll start it since Pred303 is probably taking an EXTRA LONG shower this morning after his date last night.....

Penguins-Predators Preview

GAME: Pittsburgh Penguins (11-24-9) at Nashville Predators (27-12-5).

TIME: Sunday, 7PM CST

Radio: 104.5FM
TV: No local TV coverage.....being covered by FSN Pittsburgh, so should be on Center Ice

Less than 1000 tickets left for the game tonight.

Expected scratches for the Preds tonight:
Legwand - knee
Markov - Knee
Nichol - conditioning assignment in Milwaukee
Allison - healthy scratch with Weber called up
Tootoo/Stevenson - probable both able to play....one will sit

The Predators are 4-0-1 in their last five meetings with the Penguins, outscoring them 25-8, and have not lost to the Pens since October 8, 2000.

Pittsburgh has lost five in row to fall to 3-7-3 under coach Michel Therrien after a 4-1 loss Friday the Blackhawks.

"When a team struggles like we're doing right now, I think intention is there, but we're a fragile team," Therrien said. "It seems when we face adversity our mental toughness has not been there."

Therrien has been highly critical of his team through the losing skid. After a 3-1 loss Tuesday to the Edmonton Oilers, he said his team's performance was "pathetic."

He has even called his team play "soft" which obvioulsly made an impression on rookie defenseman, Ryan Whitney...see Media Thread. Expect the Penguins to come out a little more agrressive tonite.

Pittsburgh's leading scorer and rookie sensation Sidney Crosby has been held without a goal in the last five games, which is approaching a season-high seven-game slide from Oct. 15-Nov. 1. He has been given the tag of "whiner/diver" as evidenced by this article:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...nhl/index.html

I wonder how long it will take to hear the "Crosby is a sissy" chants to start at the GEC. The Preds should do everything they can to get under his skin early, but with their lack of "in your face hockey" this year, I doubt Trotzy will go that direction.

STANDINGS: Penguins - 31 points, 5th place, 32 PB, Atlantic Division. Predators - 59 points, 2nd place, 4 PB, Central Division.

TEAM LEADERS: Penguins - Crosby, 21 goals, 49 points and 64 PIM; Zigmund Palffy, 30 assists. Predators - Sullivan, 22 goals; Paul Kariya, 28 assists; Sullivan and Kariya, 41 points; Darcy Hordichuk, 100 PIM.

SPECIAL TEAMS: Penguins - Power play: 17.1 percent (47 for 275), 17th in NHL. Penalty killing: 78.7 percent (233 for 296), 29th. Predators - Power play: 18.3 percent (52 for 284), 12th. Penalty killing: 85.2 percent (247 for 290), 5th.

GOALTENDERS: Penguins - Marc-Andre Fleury (5-11-3, 0 SO, 3.20 GAA); Sebastien Caron (5-3-3, 0, 3.95). Predators - Vokoun (21-9-4, 1, 2.63); Chris Mason (5-2-1, 0, 2.95).

2003-04 SEASON SERIES: Predators, 2-0.

LAST MEETING: March 4, 2004; Predators, 9-4. At Pittsburgh, Dan Hamhuis scored a goal and four assists and Adam Hall added two tallies as the Predators recorded a franchise record for goals scored in a game.

ROAD/HOME RECORDS: Penguins - 5-13-4 on the road; Predators - 17-5-0 at home.

PREDATOR TIDBITS: Nashville's 27 wins already equals its season total of wins in 2002-03 and its next win will equal win totals in 1998-99, 1999-00 and 2001-02.... Nashville is 3-3-2 against Eastern Conference teams this season... The Predators have scored at least two power-play goals in 15 games this season… Paul Kariya posted his team-leading 13th multi-point game of the season two with assists vs. Carolina on Friday night. Kariya (13g-28a-41pts) leads the team in assists (28), is tied with Steve Sullivan (22g-19a-41pts) for the team lead in scoring and is currently on a three-game point streak (4a). Sullivan is on a four-game point streak (3g-2a-5pts) and has 21 points (13g-8a) in his last 20 games… Kimmo Timonen had a goal and an assist vs. the Hurricanes and currently ranks among NHL defensemen scoring leaders with 32 points (6g-26a-32pts). Timonen leads the team and ranks among NHL leaders with 24 power-play points (4g-20a)… Yanic Perreault notched an assist on Friday, extending his current point streak to four games (4g-2a-6pts). Perreault has 18 points (10g-8a) in his last 17 contests… Martin Erat posted his first career two-goal game vs. Carolina... The Predators are 9-0-2 with Scott Walker in the lineup.

Insight as to the mind of Barry Trotz from the Predator Sponsored Blog re: who to play......Weber, Allison, Tootoo, and/or Stevenson:
http://boards.nashvillepredators.com...blog&blogid=1&

I couldn't pull up any of the Tennessean articles today for some reason ....please add any relevant tidbits.

Last edited by handtrick: 01-15-2006 at 10:47 AM.
Old
01-15-2006, 11:41 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

vCash: 50
Have fun tonight guys. Chris Mason makes 42 saves, Sebastien Caron makes 5.

Mason allows 1 goal, Caron allows 23

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Old
01-15-2006, 11:50 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I'm more than willing to participate in a "Crosby is a sissy" chant..

All in good fun of course

Why do I have a bad feeling about this game? If Mason starts, somone is going to have to clear all of those rebounds

01-15-2006, 01:56 PM
efice32

Send a message via AIM to efice32
I predict tacos

Old
01-15-2006, 05:28 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Quote:
Originally Posted by efice32
I predict tacos
I hope you're right. I just had an aearly dinner and a taco would be a nice evening snack

Old
01-15-2006, 07:30 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

That first Walker goal, the tic-tac-toe was about as pretty as it gets.

2-1 Preds, early.

Old
01-15-2006, 07:44 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Gotta give the devil his due, here...

Perreault....*cough cough* made a nice play to leap up to keep that puck in and set up the Erat goal.

I need to take a shower.

Old
01-15-2006, 08:29 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

So, Spank...when you get around to reading this...know that I was watching for you in a Half-Pens\Half-Preds jersey reminiscent of Pred-Ed's Rangers\Preds jersey. I didn't see it

Old
01-15-2006, 08:41 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 1000
Very nice clean hit by Hordichuk on Ziggy.

Old
01-15-2006, 09:10 PM
Uppie101

5-4 for the Preds with the Pens making a game of it. 10 minutes to go in the 3rd and the clock isn't ticking fast enough.
Go Preds Go.......

Old
01-15-2006, 09:24 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

5 goals or not, this game is an embarassment. We went to sleep at the midway point of the second, and looked completely ridiculous from that point on. Props to the Pens for never quitting, but we showed what happens when you try to sit on a lead

Old
01-15-2006, 09:25 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

up 5-1 at the halfway point, and we manage to "hold on" for the win.

Old
01-15-2006, 10:42 PM
Predonater

Was disappointed with the offensive effort in the third, but we managed. The crowd was great tonight! Really into it and ready for a win. That is the way it needs to be every game. The team is having its difficulties right now, but the crowd remains a constant. I shot this pic during the second. Looks great from where I was standing.

SCROLL----------------------------------->

Old
01-15-2006, 11:27 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

We definitely let up at the end, but Vokoun still let in 2 really soft goals in the second to let the Penguins back in the game. The team may have been giving less effort at that point, but both goals were extremely weak IMO. Very disappointed with Vokoun tonight....He played good in the third, but its on his shoulders IMO that this game was even close.

Good to see Harts and Walker get back in the groove tonight.

Old
01-16-2006, 12:37 AM
vopatsrash

The game tonight didn't bug me that much in the big picture. It was kind of typical Preds, but it was also one of those things that happen in hockey when a 4 goal game turns into a 2 goal game and all bets are off. The 5-1 lead with most of the last 2 periods to play is about like the first home game after a long road trip, the first period after a long layoff, and the 2nd/3rd periods on the second night of a back to back. Trouble more times than not.

they need to have a contest for the fans on the 6th goal. like free burritos. It seems like once we score 4 the entire place almost wills a 5th goal and then the crowd just kind of sits back and thinks about the impending victory and eating that taco. We need something to will the team beyond the 5th goal.

I would have gladly taken 8 points out of 10 if someone offered me that going into the @CHI, NYI, @ATL, @CAR, PIT in 8 days stretch, yet it doesn't feel like we had that great of a week because of how undisciplined, sloppy, and uninspired we were at times.

The bottom line is that you have to win those types of games, forget it and move on. We are flawed, but the key is to trudge through these times. It's taking 8 out of 10 when you aren't at your best that makes the playoffs.

Old
01-16-2006, 02:41 AM
sparkle twin
drrrty player

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
So, Spank...when you get around to reading this...know that I was watching for you in a Half-Pens\Half-Preds jersey reminiscent of Pred-Ed's Rangers\Preds jersey. I didn't see it

I had my Sidney Crosby T-shirt on thank you very much! But I did wear my Predators jersey, too. And I cheered every time someone scored.

All I was hoping for was a close game and I certainly got it. I used to just wish for ties in these games, but not anymore. Now I just want whomever needs the 2 points most to get them, but have it be a good game.

Fleury is amazing, he's so quick and flexible, like a cat. If it wasn't for him we would have had more goals.

Sidney looks bigger in person than on TV. I am amazed by him, how can an 18 y/o have so much talent?. He threw a puck over the glass during warmup and I almost caught it, but it went in the row behind me and some little kid came and got it. Don't yell at me but, I wish he would have scored on that breakaway. I wish Mario would have played so I coul have seen them play together. Mario was here though, I just wish he could have played.

This was a classic example of sitting on lead. And I think Pittsburgh was even content to just finish the game 5-1 and no worse. Then they get a quick goal and another and suddenly it's 5-3 and they're battling back with all the momentum and we're just sitting around waiting for them to fall back. But they didn't quit and all of a sudden it's 5-4. We were getting outworked and didn't seem to care. Thankfully Vokoun came up with some big saves to keep us in the game. Only when the Pens decided to try to pull Fleury did we seem like we "turned it on" and started putting pressure back on the Pens and keeping the puck away from them.

We came out slow and took an early penalty and had nothing going. But after we got back to 5on5 we settled down and it was like a clinic out there. We were going after every puck and making great passes and shooting, and playing some great D. Although, can someone tell our players that they don't need to wind up every time to take a shot, a little wrist shot is fine!

Hartnell and Hall combined for that goal was a thing of beauty. About as perfect a 2 on 1 give and go as you can get. Very impressed with the way Hartnell came back and played tonight after his bonehead moves recently, very disciplined.

Walker with 2 nice goals. Way to use your melon Scotty!

If Sullivan lifts the puck then he has a goal.

Nice hit by Hordichuk. On the Pittsburgh Sports show, they show great hits from the football game and they showed Hordi's hit and gave it a perfect 10!

It was almost a perfect day in Pittsburgh (for me it was perfect).....the Steelers shock the world (Dear Lord, Thank You!), the Pitt Panthers beat Louisville, IN Louisville, and the Pens put up a great fight to keep the game interesting! Oh what a day, What a Day!!

Old
01-16-2006, 07:59 AM
biscuithead

Send a message via AIM to biscuithead
In the Tennessean, John Glennon says "Mario Lemieux, Pittsburgh's player-owner and a future NHL Hall of Famer , missed his 13th consecutive game last night while recovering from an irregular heartbeat."

Sorry, JG but Mario was rushed into the HOF when he retired the first time in 1997.

Old
01-16-2006, 09:59 AM
Pred303

knew the gameday thread would be chaotic...everyone simply breathe deeply, relax, and repeat to themselves, we're 28-12-5..sure it got sloppy, sure PIT got 40 shots, sure vokoun's been sharper, sure we got lucky.. but we're still 28-12-5

a few thoughts;

..liked the new line combinations better, we had to do something to try to get erat and kariya going, and moving perreault there might be the thing. and to be honest, i don't think it really matters who is centering sully and walker near as much since sully is the guy that creates shots on that line anyway.
..we had some mighty pretty goals last night. the hall from hartnell 2 on 1, the kariya from timonen powerplay onetimer, the walker from sully from fiddler 3 on 2, the erat wrister from off of the perreault intercept. all nice goals
..the walker off his head defelction from a blocked three time tipped johnson bad pass was..well it was fugly, but pretty hilarious
..was surprised that vokoun was out there last night, i thought he needed a night off to regather himself after the obvious frustration of the carolina game. mason probably should have gotten this start, because this one couldn't have been a game that will restore vokoun's confidence and settle him back down. vokoun with a below average game. did pull it together and make several good saves in the last 10 minutes to preserve this one though.
..most of the troubles we had last night in the third can be directly related to poor clears from the defensive zone. zidlicky's were the most obvious of course, because with time ticking down and the game on the line, he failed to clear the puck three consecutive times. however it was a problem for eaton, and to a lesser extent hamhuis all night too
..we simply can not stay out of the box. the penalties we take in our defensive zone, are due to our lack of strenght and size and have to be taken because we cann't relieve the offensive pressure of teams with strength up front some shifts. those i can live with. it's the ones in the offensive zone, and the little lazy hooks i cann't stand. last night the only smart penalty we took was greg johnson's hooking of crosby..that was a good penalty.. stevenson's boarding was a very bad penalty with the game on the line. another game where the opponent has twice as much pp time as we do though,w e're lucky it didn't cost us the game.
..yes hamhuis had an awful play to allow the armstrong partial breakin, but no we shouldn't bench hamhuis for jamie allison like someone actually said (shaking head as i type this). to be honest, that's a shot vokoun should have stopped. but on a positive note, that 4th goal did make the game "interesting" for those easily bored.
..weber with a solid game. cut down on some of the little clearing mistakes he'd been having and played solid positionally, as well as finishing with 3 hits in 12 minutes of icetime. looked more comfortable i thought with the puck.
..walker, nice to see scottie starting to skate and be involved again. nice shot on that first goal of his, nice header on that miracle one. but looked better out there on the pk and forechecking.. we need this guy back full speed badly. no total accident we're now 10-0-2 with this guy in the lineup this year.
..you could physically feel the momentum shift when the penguins scored that third goal. or to be more accurate when hall scored his second goal, unfortunately it was on vokoun. but you have to hand it to adam hall, it was a beautiful deflecetion that beat vokoun.
..the sullivan tricky pass back to vokoun shortened my life by several minutes i'm sure. to say vokoun was shocked would be an understatement.
.. really nice to see the first line with jump tonight. kariya and erat looked totally reenergized and were getting shots they haven't been getting for 3 weeks now. kariya with 4, erat with 5, perreault with 3.. 12 shots out of your first line is more like it.
..the 4th line is not near as effective with stevenson out there as it is with tootoo out there. god i hope trotz recognizes this and makes the tough decision to keep tootoo and risk someone else to waivers or trades someone for whatever we can get. i don't expect it though, i think it's likely we'll take the easy way out and send tootoo down to avoid having to lose anyone else for awhile.
..sullivan with two great chances last night he couldn't get to go. that great move on the breakaway where he couldn't elevate the puck over caron. then the straight down the slot shot shorthanded try from a great pass by walker that fleury barely got a piece of and just defelected high. every single game this guy creates at least one great shorthanded scoring chance. man i love this guy's game.
..hartnell with a strong bounceback game. physical without taking penalites, couple of good shots, two good assists, and what a great 2 on 1 pass to hall.
..hordichuk...monster hit... it is possible that that hit and the fight woke pittsburgh up from a deep sleep, but still that's good hockey whichever way you look at it. shame we only get this guy 4 minutes of icetime a night.. he did take a dumb interference penalty off a faceoff in our offensive zone however. but still i like this guy.
.. did i mention i absolutely hate our post game show?. the same idiots night after night after night. derrick(who i like), preded(who i despise), deborah(who is actually ok), jack(who i want to choke with his everything is always great talk), and the 'alex from toronto' guy who should be taken out and pistol whipped and then choked and then shot.. last night with alex acting like an indian mini-mart guy might have been a new low.. i have to admit, the calls actually physically embarrass me to listen to thery're so painful. why the hell cann't we just have the full trotz question and answer instead of cutting away from that, a recap of stats, scores, and highlights and an interview with a player, and then sign off? for the love of everything holy, please don't let that guy get thru anymore.

everyone relax, we conitnue to do just what we have to do. we beat the teams we're supposed to beat, we win the games at home we're supposed to win. people yell and wring their hands that we don't win going away and that when we win we win ugly, well the problem is we're not a dominant team. we're a good team, a team that has to play hard and smart every night out. when we don't we lose, when we only do those for parts of games we win by a goal. last time i looked, you get just as many points winning by 1 goal as winning by 5. so not blowing out the PIT's of the world doesn't shock me. just as long as we win everything is ok with me.

great crowd. this team and hockey in general is growing before our very eyes now. just glad to be a part of it all.

Old
01-16-2006, 12:09 PM
jstreet
Sad McDavid

vCash: 50
Very entertaining game, there is only one thing that I want worked on right now.

Suter is causing us some Goals Against on the PP. Ive noticed a trend where he will hug the post for a little while and then leave it to chase the puck carrier behind the net, always leaving an open man on the doorstep in his place. This has directly lead to 2 GA in the past couple of games and it could have been more.

Has anybody else noticed this?

Old
01-16-2006, 02:21 PM
braindead

Perfect summary 303.

To repeat on two points:

I haven't seen a hit all year like Hordy's hit (it was Ziggy that he dropped I think....I was distracted by the fight as the trainer dragged the body off of the ice).

And to echo the thoughts on the post-game show, the fake Indian accent was too awful to believe--why would they not cut him off? To paraphrase some movie (Kentucky Fried Movie maybe?) "Hangin's too good for him, burnin's too good for him....let's cut him up into little pieces and bury him alive". They MUST end the call-in portion.

Old
01-17-2006, 04:35 PM
Pred303

no where else to put this yet with no NJ gameday thread for a couple of days so here goes;

three teams still primarily run the trap even in today's NHL... i hate to play any of those three teams..Dallas, Minnesota, and New Jersey... get behind any of those three teams and you're in trouble, because then they simply tighten their trap and slow the game down to a crawl...i absolutely hate the style of games these three teams play, and because i hate the style so much i pray for them to all fail miserably every night out, for fear that any success any of them have that it will encourage other teams to retry this boring brand of hockey

... the secret to beating these three teams is simply in theory.. you get ahead of them, and force them to open up the game offensively, which in turn makes their trap much less effective or makes them abondon it entirely to get a more aggressive forecheck going if you get them down far enough or late... of course, notice all three of these teams have great goaltending...brodeur, turco ,and fernandez/roloson... makes it doubly tough to score early on them and get out to that early lead or 2 goal lead you need to get to force them out of the shell..

we cann't afford to get behind NJ... they're 13-0-2 when leading after 2 periods, and 12-2-2 when leading after the first period despite having been outscored over the course of the season... which demonstrates how difficult they are to play when you're playing from behind... (as an aside, Dallas is 16-0-1 when leading after one period, and Minnesota is 14-1-1 when leading after two periods to further demonstrate how difficult it is to come from behind against those other two trapping type teams)

of course we have our own statistical advantages ourselves..we're 17-0-3 when leading after two periods... a pretty amazing stat, since we're in so many 1 goal games, and since our total goals scored/goals allowed is so close to even, and since we don't really depend on the trap often...

we're still also an almost unbelievable league best (by far) 14-5-2 when the other team scores first, a .667 % winning percentage, in a league where the team that scores first has an overall winning percentage of better than .670 %. we're one of only 5 teams in the league that has actually won more games than we've lost when giving up the first goal. and we're winning at a higher percentage when giving up the first goal, than when we score first, the ONLY team in the league that is like that statistically (in fact no team that has finished above .500 has done that in the last 5 years in the league, which as is far as i can go back). this remains a statistical adnormality for which i cann't come up with any legitimate hockey reason for.

still i don't think we want to tempt fate by getting behind NJ early... note that two of our five losses when giving up the first goal were to Minnesota and Dallas, the other two trapping style, protect the lead, type teams

Old
01-18-2006, 10:55 AM
lstcyr

I think the record after the other team scoring first is obvious. We need a wake up call to start playing. The first goal makes us mad and then we play. LOL

Old
01-18-2006, 11:06 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Word on the boards is that Ziggy Palffy just retired. Doesn't sound like it had anything to do with Hordichuk's hit on him, but that'll be my last memory of Zigmund.

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.p...75#post4425675

Old
01-18-2006, 05:23 PM
predperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
Word on the boards is that Ziggy Palffy just retired. Doesn't sound like it had anything to do with Hordichuk's hit on him, but that'll be my last memory of Zigmund.

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.p...75#post4425675
ZIGGY PALFFY ANNOUNCES HIS RETIREMENT

Closed Thread