HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Comrie for Wiess. TRADE RUMOR

View Poll Results: should Wiess b traded for comrie
Yes trade Wiess, we need comrie 17 50.00%
No, keep Wiess, i like our soft team that doesnt shoot or win 17 50.00%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-19-2003, 09:04 AM
jacksheit

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to jacksheit Send a message via MSN to jacksheit
Comrie for Wiess. TRADE RUMOR

hey-o. over @ spector.com, they report that the oil n cats have been talking trade. Comrie for Wiess! and maybe a d-man, wow.
Personally i think this is a good move, comrie can score, hes a gritty guy, he shoots. he can take face offs. he's everything this team is not.
Is comrie a whiny baby, yes. do i believe Mikey K will straighten him out? yes.
Do i think wiess is a good player? no, i think hes over hyped n he sucks
i think cullen sucks.
I think we need a 2nd line center
@ the begining of the year we were told
nedorost, horton, WIESS N CULLEN, were all gonan step up for the 2nd center job, and they havent
Comrie will help us win games.
i just hope sum how we trade away novo, cullen, and bednar.
trink, ahhh he's playing ok he can stay
COMRIE
Height: 5-9
Weight: 175 lbs.
Pos: C
Shoots: Left
Born: September 11, 1980, Edmonton , Alberta
YEAR GP G A PTS +/- PIM SOG SPCT PPG PPA SHG SHA GWG GTG ATOI
03 69 20 31 51 -18 90 170 11.8 8 9 0 0 6 0 17:51

He looks go to me!

Old
10-19-2003, 09:53 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Sure let's trade away our future for an immediate fix like always.

Old
10-19-2003, 09:58 AM
jacksheit

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichPanther
Sure let's trade away our future for an immediate fix like always.
in 3 games we've scored 3 goals. we've been dominated by hits. our goalie has been pumbeled with shots

Old
10-19-2003, 10:13 AM
PUCKBOY99

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksheit
in 3 games we've scored 3 goals. we've been dominated by hits. our goalie has been pumbeled with shots
........And the guy you think will stop this this is 5'9'' w/a -18 ?????

Old
10-19-2003, 10:20 AM
Clash*

Quote:
And Comrie gets hit, just like Wiess does, and has less of a defensive game. Out goes that theory.

Old
10-19-2003, 11:07 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
And top it off, Comrie is a RFA so what's he want salary-wise?? And remember we have the 4th lowest salary in the league...you think Cohen is going to open the purse strings for Comrie? (doubtful)

Old
10-19-2003, 11:43 AM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUCKBOY99
........And the guy you think will stop this this is 5'9'' w/a -18 ?????
He went minus 14 after getting his thumb injured he came back too early and it affected his game since he stick handles so much, so he was only -4 before and was on pace for over 60 points before injury and was +16 the year before. He also gained muscle mass over the summer he should he was reported at 186lbs. and a couple weeks ago, Comrie is speculated to want somewhere around the 2million dollar mark but heard his demands came down after Hossa signing maybe 1.6mill then? From the sounds of it will be Weiss+Mezei for Comrie +maybe a pick or low-mid prospect. I can't find Weiss's contract but most high picks get 1million if they play 10 games in the NHL and a lot less if they don't but lets just say for arguments sake he plays more than ten Weiss(1mill)+Mezei($825,00)=$1.825million so if its Comrie and a pick u could add approximately $175,000(demanded contract)to your pay-roll in salary or have $225,000(Hossa contract) in extra surplus salary.

Old
10-19-2003, 01:07 PM
PUCKBOY99

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
He went minus 14 after getting his thumb injured he came back too early and it affected his game since he stick handles so much, so he was only -4 before and was on pace for over 60 points before injury and was +16 the year before. He also gained muscle mass over the summer he should he was reported at 186lbs. and a couple weeks ago, Comrie is speculated to want somewhere around the 2million dollar mark but heard his demands came down after Hossa signing maybe 1.6mill then? From the sounds of it will be Weiss+Mezei for Comrie +maybe a pick or low-mid prospect. I can't find Weiss's contract but most high picks get 1million if they play 10 games in the NHL and a lot less if they don't but lets just say for arguments sake he plays more than ten Weiss(1mill)+Mezei($825,00)=$1.825million so if its Comrie and a pick u could add approximately $175,000(demanded contract)to your pay-roll in salary or have $225,000(Hossa contract) in extra surplus salary.
Cool picture!!!

Anyway, the point is unless it truly is an upgrade, what's the point of making the move??? I could care less about Weiss...if it was a straight trade, fine. But I'd hate to lose a Mezei for a Comrie....we already have plenty of ''potential goal scoring stars''. Is losing a good D-man for an underacheiving POSSIBLE scorer really worth it??? Hell, we have plenty of those in surplus!!!!!

We're 5 games in w/some ugly trends settling....something needs to be done, but do we really need to start unloading people????

Old
10-19-2003, 01:13 PM
jacksheit

GUYS WE R DESPERATE
look @ our team. we have hus, jokinen, and kozlov r the only forwards who score. thats basically ONE line on a 4 line team.

Old
10-19-2003, 01:21 PM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 814
Hus, Joke and Kozlov havent really lighten up the light either.. also no way we give up Mezei in this sorta deal.. most likely in no kinda deal..

Old
10-19-2003, 01:35 PM
jacksheit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo
Hus, Joke and Kozlov havent really lighten up the light either.. also no way we give up Mezei in this sorta deal.. most likely in no kinda deal..
ya well we barely get 1 goal a game. if we trade any d-man i think it'll b trinka or liljia. althou sum of u dont like biron, but hes big n he hits.
I love this team, they just dont score.

Old
10-19-2003, 01:42 PM
Epoch

Trade him. Florida could use a guy like Comrie.

Old
10-19-2003, 01:52 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUCKBOY99
Cool picture!!!

Anyway, the point is unless it truly is an upgrade, what's the point of making the move??? I could care less about Weiss...if it was a straight trade, fine. But I'd hate to lose a Mezei for a Comrie....we already have plenty of ''potential goal scoring stars''. Is losing a good D-man for an underacheiving POSSIBLE scorer really worth it??? Hell, we have plenty of those in surplus!!!!!

We're 5 games in w/some ugly trends settling....something needs to be done, but do we really need to start unloading people????
Well it is an upgrade there is no doubt about that, and I hope ur not referring to Comrie with the statement "underachieving POSSIBLE scorer really worth it" because there is nothing possible about it, he currently is a scorer in this league and a young star who can be counted on for 70-80 points in the near future. Under-achieving is not one criticism u can heap on him we traded Doug Weight and he carried the team extremely well as a no.1 center in his first full season with 60 points and numerous clutch goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUCKBOY
99we already have plenty of ''potential goal scoring stars''
That is exactly the point of the trade is to provide u with young legitimate and proven talent and alleviate yourself of possible/potential/under-achieving talent and Weiss is not well liked by Keenan furthering the likely hood of trade. Most would say it is unlikely he could ever be as good as Comrie(although the potential is there) and Mezei is thrown in to even it out because of risk associated should either be a bust(don't forget Edmonton might throw a pick ur way to even it out). U could definetly use Comrie too having the second lowest Goals For in the league last year, made all the worst by playing in ur conference(weak d lower echelon teams and u play inside ur conference more often) and still not being able to score.

Old
10-19-2003, 02:15 PM
Coolburn

The difference to me is that in the West its a more run and gun type of play as opposed to the East where almost every team plays a clutch & grab type game. I don't think thats conducive to Comrie's gameplay really. I don't think Dudley is stupid either...he likes Mezei and Weiss and knows what they're worth to the organization. While Mezei has been injury prone in the past, he looks good so far this yr (minus a few breakdowns typical of any young d-man). Weiss may not be the goal scorer that Comrie is and will be but he's a better all-around center in the long run. Comrie may be capable of 70-80 pts but Weiss should be good for around 60 and play excellent defense to shut opposing lines down when he's more developed. I also think the media has made incorrect assessments about Weiss and Keenan as well (the media made more out of the whole Keenan vs Dudley thing). I just think its not a good match for FL given what Dudley and Keenan are both looking for...Size, Speed, and Grit put together. Unfortunately, Comrie lacks the first part of the equation so I think FL passes on him.

Old
10-19-2003, 02:26 PM
Heimy

It seems Mezei isn't getting proper respect in this dicussion. Mezei is NOT just a throw in. He went 10th overall in his draft year for a reason. Mezei has at least as much value as Weiss (more in my opinion) and, more importantly, the Panthers can't afford to fill one hole while creating another. Nedorost will be along soon enough and perhaps that will be the remedy we Cat fans seek.

Another though is, I honestly don't see Dudley or Keenan foaming at the mouth for Comrie. Yes, he'd be a nice upgrade that would have an immediate impact (and that might be reason enough for most clubs to do it) but neither our GM or coach gets good wood for a player unless he's 6'9" 245lbs plays 2 way hockey and skates like the wind.

Still, I could see a deal for Comrie IF it's Weiss and a little something going the other way. Krajicek is NOT a little something and Novak might be too valued as well...although I'd think hard about a Weiss and Novak for Comrie deal.

Old
10-19-2003, 02:40 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
The difference to me is that in the West its a more run and gun type of play as opposed to the East where almost every team plays a clutch & grab type game. I don't think thats conducive to Comrie's gameplay really. I don't think Dudley is stupid either...he likes Mezei and Weiss and knows what they're worth to the organization. While Mezei has been injury prone in the past, he looks good so far this yr (minus a few breakdowns typical of any young d-man). Weiss may not be the goal scorer that Comrie is and will be but he's a better all-around center in the long run. Comrie may be capable of 70-80 pts but Weiss should be good for around 60 and play excellent defense to shut opposing lines down when he's more developed. I also think the media has made incorrect assessments about Weiss and Keenan as well (the media made more out of the whole Keenan vs Dudley thing). I just think its not a good match for FL given what Dudley and Keenan are both looking for...Size, Speed, and Grit put together. Unfortunately, Comrie lacks the first part of the equation so I think FL passes on him.
K well explained opinion, but u guys still need scoring if not Comrie than who???? Every team wants size+speed+grit sorry their isn't that many players in the league who have all that and can still bury the biscuit quite regularly and if u do find one I guarantee he will cost u alot more than Comrie in trade value+MoNeY. Weiss the 60pt man and Mezei the top 4 d-man is an overpayment for Comrie but u got to realize niether of them are at this level yet nor are they guaranteed to reach it, it's nice being optimistic but from what I have seen Weiss is looking like a career third line center with some moderate offensive upside, he may achieve 60pts someday it just won't be in Florida he needs a change of scenery. I like Mezei and don't really doubt his ability to become a top 4 d-man(though their is still risk involved) but his injury problems are troublesome and far as I am concerned hes just as big a part of the deal as Weiss who is over-hyped.

P.S.U guys need more grit+leadership and role player guys just as much as u need offense u should look into that.

Old
10-19-2003, 04:20 PM
Coolburn

The only way I'd reconsider even thinking about this deal is if Comrie is willing to play on the wing. If he's 1st line talent, then he needs to play on the top line. To do that, he's not going to replace Keenan's boy in Jokinen and Kozlov is playing well on his right side. So the question is can Comrie play LW and is he willing to move to the LW??

Its maybe just my opinion but I like the scoring to come from the wings as opposed to the centers. I think the centers should create the scoring chances any way possible for the wings. Thats why I think its a good idea, ultimately when Horton is further along, to move Jokinen to LW and have Horton at center. I also think having Weiss as the 2nd line center and Nedorost on his wing is a good idea too. Plus, Kozlov could be an UFA once the CBA is figured out and I doubt FL could afford to keep him and a lot of other players so Comrie could move over to RW then with plenty of size to support him. So maybe a deal would be better if it was Comrie for Kozlov. While I like Kozlov a lot, I'd rather hang on to Weiss so he can prove himself as he hasn't had enough time yet.

Old
10-19-2003, 04:33 PM
Clash*

Quote:
While I like Kozlov a lot, I'd rather hang on to Weiss so he can prove himself as he hasn't had enough time yet.
Bingo Rich. Its really amazing how people are slammin Weiss as either bein a bust or never has been in comparison to Comrie, when Comrie's first year in the NHL he played on a much more stacked NHL team, and was two years older than Weiss. Weiss was known for his defensive game and shuttin down Spezza durin the OHL playoffs his draft year. IMO, there really is no comparison, especially due to Weiss sayin he wanted to work on the defensive aspect of his game first, last season. Also, think of how sparingly the kid was used in Keenan's system, since Mike didn'tlike havin him around. I'd rather suffer through another year of watchin these kids develop, rather than sacrificing two good, solid prospects for a win now mentality with no guarentees comin with it.

Old
10-19-2003, 04:58 PM
Coolburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClashCitiRockr
Bingo Rich. Its really amazing how people are slammin Weiss as either bein a bust or never has been in comparison to Comrie, when Comrie's first year in the NHL he played on a much more stacked NHL team, and was two years older than Weiss. Weiss was known for his defensive game and shuttin down Spezza durin the OHL playoffs his draft year. IMO, there really is no comparison, especially due to Weiss sayin he wanted to work on the defensive aspect of his game first, last season. Also, think of how sparingly the kid was used in Keenan's system, since Mike didn'tlike havin him around. I'd rather suffer through another year of watchin these kids develop, rather than sacrificing two good, solid prospects for a win now mentality with no guarentees comin with it.
Yeah and you know who could be a good linemate for Weiss...Stewart. I'd love to see a 2nd line of Nedorost-Weiss-Stewart next yr (nice balance of size, speed, skill, & grit). Or even another possibility is Globke (he's scored 4 goals in 4 games so far this season at Notre Dame). Globke might be more ready but I think Stewart should make the squad next yr. Maybe it could be a situation where those 2 flip flop on 2nd & 3rd line. Its also possible that Globke needs one more yr of development in the AHL before he's ready. Hopefully Taticek is more ready next yr to take over 3rd line center duties. I didn't catch all of yesterday's game but how did Campbell play and what position did he play (I saw he was wearing 44...which I liked seeing that number for FL again)??

#edit# hmm, I seem to have forgotten about Huselius in my thoughts, eh? I'll wait and see how this season goes and maybe he moves up to the top line himself. Or because he has such value, might be moved too. FL has a lot of options for the future lines so someone (or several someones) are going to have to be moved and thats why I mentioned a re-evaluation of talent in another thread.

Old
10-19-2003, 05:54 PM
jacksheit

holy crap. u know what would b a good line
Hus, comrie and stewart
come on, what the heck.. wiess hasnt done crap
cromrie is a dink. we need that
we need a leader now

Old
10-19-2003, 06:05 PM
Coolburn

Quote:
holy crap. u know what would b a good line
Hus, comrie and stewart
come on, what the heck.. wiess hasnt done crap
cromrie is a dink. we need that
we need a leader now
2 problems with this:
1. Comrie is a #1 line guy...why play him on the 2nd line??
2. Seems like the line is still a little soft even with Stewart on that line.

If you think Comrie is a leader, you're sorely mistaken.

Old
10-19-2003, 06:36 PM
jacksheit

Quote:
2 problems with this:

Comrie leads with his play. didnt he play on team canada?
look.
FLORIDA NEEDS A SPARK
I believe its him
mayyyybeee
Jokinen - comrie - kozlov

eh maybe comrie could play 2nd line. that'd b cool, he wouldnt b checked as much, so he'd b free to play

Old
10-19-2003, 06:42 PM
Clash*

Quote:
Yeah and you know who could be a good linemate for Weiss...Stewart. I'd love to see a 2nd line of Nedorost-Weiss-Stewart next yr (nice balance of size, speed, skill, & grit). Or even another possibility is Globke (he's scored 4 goals in 4 games so far this season at Notre Dame). Globke might be more ready but I think Stewart should make the squad next yr. Maybe it could be a situation where those 2 flip flop on 2nd & 3rd line. Its also possible that Globke needs one more yr of development in the AHL before he's ready. Hopefully Taticek is more ready next yr to take over 3rd line center duties. I didn't catch all of yesterday's game but how did Campbell play and what position did he play (I saw he was wearing 44...which I liked seeing that number for FL again)??

#edit# hmm, I seem to have forgotten about Huselius in my thoughts, eh? I'll wait and see how this season goes and maybe he moves up to the top line himself. Or because he has such value, might be moved too. FL has a lot of options for the future lines so someone (or several someones) are going to have to be moved and thats why I mentioned a re-evaluation of talent in another thread.
Here's a thought for you Rich, Nedorost playin on the top line with Jokinen and Kozlov, with Nedo takin Nilson's spot as he has more playmakin ability, and Huselius-Weiss-Stewart/Globke as the second line. The win now attitude is only goin to have us go down the road of tradin everyone away again, and havin nothin left in the tank when the egomaniacs decide Florida isn't meant to play hocky in. Only golf.

Old
10-19-2003, 06:50 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
2 problems with this:

1) So ur second line doesn't suck ash not to many teams can get away with just one scoring line
2) Comrie is feisty + two big wingers would probably not equal soft

P.S. I too feel Comrie leads with his play, yes he was on team Canada and won gold, I don't think it is a good idea getting rid of Kozlov he helps ur scoring and is usually pretty dependable, remember this is ur weak area although Comrie can bag more points why weaken a point that needs a lot of help when u don't have to?

Old
10-19-2003, 07:07 PM
hunter orange

I'm more interested in Van Ryan than Mezei or Novak. Krajicek is out because Fla won't trade him and Lilja, Biron are likely not options because they don't balance the scales enough IMO.

If Fla fans think Weiss and Van Ryan is a little too much for Comrie (though I would disagree), Dudley may be able to pry a depth defenseman out of Lowe to give Fla a little security in the back.

I'd prefer (as an Oil fan):

Comrie & Ferguson ---------- for ---------- Weiss, Van Ryan

...perhaps a more likely scenario:

Comrie (straight up) ---------- for ----------- Weiss, Mezei

Closed Thread