HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rate the Rangers D prospects

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2006, 12:14 PM
NYRGoalieGlut*

vCash: 500
Rate the Rangers D prospects

Also include Tyutin in that. I know he's not really a prospect anymore. Still rate Tyutin, Staal, Sauer, Pock, and Baranka. If there are other D prospects you're intrigued in put them in too!

Old
01-10-2006, 12:31 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

1. Staal
2. Tyutin
3. Sauer

4. Baranka
5. Pock

6. Liffiton

Old
01-10-2006, 12:36 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88
1. Staal
2. Tyutin
3. Sauer

4. Baranka
5. Pock

6. Liffiton
i think this is spot on.

then you have a bunch of somewhat similar guys like potter, taylor, guenin, etc. who could make it as 3rd pairing stay at homers.

also, the only reason i agree with staal over tyutin (cuz you know, tyutin IS in the NHL) is that i think staal has a better chance of reaching his full potential. tyutin is possibly more skilled, but hasn't found a consistant game yet. if tyutin consistantly plays like he can, then i'd have him ranked over staal right now

Old
01-10-2006, 12:47 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

That lis t is pretty right on

Quote:
1. Staal
2. Tyutin
3. Sauer

4. Baranka
5. Pock

6. Liffiton
Thereafter:
7. Guenin (nickname is NASTY in college)
8. Taylor
9. Potter

Old
01-10-2006, 12:51 PM
Skroob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
i think this is spot on.

then you have a bunch of somewhat similar guys like potter, taylor, guenin, etc. who could make it as 3rd pairing stay at homers.

agreed as well, on all counts.

Old
01-10-2006, 12:52 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
Thereafter:
7. Guenin (nickname is NASTY in college)
8. Taylor
9. Potter
I actually rate all three of them above Liffiton.

Old
01-10-2006, 12:54 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription
I actually rate all three of them above Liffiton.
i think liffiton has a little more to his game if he fully develops. better skater than taylor and potter at least (not sure about geunin as i haven't seen him play a bunch...i'm interested in getting him into hartford) and has a nice shot to go along with a mean attitude

Old
01-10-2006, 01:21 PM
Edge

Quote:
1. Staal
2. Tyutin
3. Sauer

4. Baranka
5. Pock

6. Liffiton

That's how I see it.

Talent wise I think Staal might actually be third behind Tyutin and Sauer, but based on the odds of actually reaching full potential I can't find anything i'd change with that list.

Old
01-10-2006, 02:58 PM
natureboy*

Tyutin stock has been in freefall. Very disappointed in his game.

Old
01-10-2006, 03:07 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by natureboy
i can't agree with that. while he hasn't performed up to peoples expectations, i think it's safe to say those expectations were pretty damn high.

he's still pretty solid out there and makes a lot of good plays each game. yeah, he makes mistakes too, but he has not been bad by any means. i feel pretty strongly that because he's not performing up to some lofty standards that were set for him, people are overlooking a lot of his good play and nitpicking the mistakes he makes.

he needs to be more consistant with his efforts and he'll be fine...he's young and has plenty of time to get to that point. in the meantime, i just have to take issue with people saying he's crap.

Old
01-10-2006, 03:07 PM
E-Train

Quote:
i think liffiton has a little more to his game if he fully develops. better skater than taylor and potter at least (not sure about geunin as i haven't seen him play a bunch...i'm interested in getting him into hartford) and has a nice shot to go along with a mean attitude
Personally, from what I saw last season, I like Liffiton and Taylor. They both need to add strength and body weight to really battle in the NHL. I don't think Taylor's skating is bad but do agree that Liffiton looks more mobile (he is smaller). My one concern about Guenin is that he's 23 and still in college. First Ranger cup of coffee might not come till he's 25 if he makes it at all. I was hoping he'd be in Hartford this season.

Old
01-10-2006, 03:54 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Again? For crying out loud hes a rookie, and for a rookie he has played good. He has games where he is the best defensmen on our team and other games where he makes mistakes. Its all part of learning. I don't understand why people thought he would come into the season and play like a 10 year vet.

Old
01-10-2006, 03:54 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
i can't agree with that. while he hasn't performed up to peoples expectations, i think it's safe to say those expectations were pretty damn high.

he's still pretty solid out there and makes a lot of good plays each game. yeah, he makes mistakes too, but he has not been bad by any means. i feel pretty strongly that because he's not performing up to some lofty standards that were set for him, people are overlooking a lot of his good play and nitpicking the mistakes he makes.

he needs to be more consistant with his efforts and he'll be fine...he's young and has plenty of time to get to that point. in the meantime, i just have to take issue with people saying he's crap.

You said it much better then me, agree 100%.

Old
01-10-2006, 04:02 PM
Staal Me Up

Send a message via AIM to Staal Me Up
Whats with Sauer everyone seems to like him...anyone have any insight?

Old
01-10-2006, 04:21 PM
Taz

i quite like liffiton, he can throw pretty good, improved from last season already, is only 20 and is starting to be very solid at the back, I believe he will be really good when he is 26+ and experienced.

Old
01-10-2006, 04:39 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithp
Whats with Sauer everyone seems to like him...anyone have any insight?
Heres what I replied back for someone else who asked, the question was has he been healthy and what is some info on him:

For the most part Sauer has been healthy this season, he missed a few games with a bruised shoulder but nothing to worry about. He is a very safe player like Staal, he is a incredible positional player and will very very rarely be caught out of position. He is very strong along to the boards and will usually come out with the puck or be able to move it. Shows signs off offensive skills and will develop into a 2 way player but leaning on the defensive side still (again, he plays a safe game, defense first). He likes to throw the body around as well. If he stays healthy he hes almost a lock to be a top 4 dman in the league with an upside being a very good #3 dman. People who watch this kid every game say he never makes a mistake, easily the best defensmen they have on there team.

Biggest weakness has to be that he is injury prone, if he can stay healthy then we have a very good dman to look forward to.

Old
01-10-2006, 05:10 PM
Edge

Quote:
Heres what I replied back for someone else who asked, the question was has he been healthy and what is some info on him:

For the most part Sauer has been healthy this season, he missed a few games with a bruised shoulder but nothing to worry about. He is a very safe player like Staal, he is a incredible positional player and will very very rarely be caught out of position. He is very strong along to the boards and will usually come out with the puck or be able to move it. Shows signs off offensive skills and will develop into a 2 way player but leaning on the defensive side still (again, he plays a safe game, defense first). He likes to throw the body around as well. If he stays healthy he hes almost a lock to be a top 4 dman in the league with an upside being a very good #3 dman. People who watch this kid every game say he never makes a mistake, easily the best defensmen they have on there team.

Biggest weakness has to be that he is injury prone, if he can stay healthy then we have a very good dman to look forward to.
Agree with everything just one addition.

I think Sauer from a pure talent standpoint could be even a number two. But that's speaking only on talent. He reminds me more of Redden than Staal personally.

Old
01-10-2006, 05:14 PM
E-Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge

I think Sauer from a pure talent standpoint could be even a number two. But that's speaking only on talent. He reminds me more of Redden than Staal personally.
Excellent. For someone who has actually seen many of our prospects that says a lot. He'll only get better with the rest of this year and next in the Dub.

Old
01-10-2006, 05:20 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:

Old
01-11-2006, 12:18 AM
NYRGoalieGlut*

Quote:

Edge, so do you think that Sauer can be better than Staal eventually?

Old
01-11-2006, 08:38 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Your points are well taken and accurate on Tyutin

Quote:

and for any young defenseman. Based off of last night I guess Phaneuf is horrible too! After all he was on for the tying, winning and cushion goals. Calgary should trade him now while is value is still high!

Old
01-11-2006, 08:40 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Edge, from not ever having seen Sauer play

Quote:

on TV or in person, could you describe his game, skating, balance, agility, physical player or not, passing, shooting skills.

Old
01-11-2006, 08:52 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

With young defenseman I think you can afford to take your time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Train
Personally, from what I saw last season, I like Liffiton and Taylor. They both need to add strength and body weight to really battle in the NHL. I don't think Taylor's skating is bad but do agree that Liffiton looks more mobile (he is smaller). My one concern about Guenin is that he's 23 and still in college. First Ranger cup of coffee might not come till he's 25 if he makes it at all. I was hoping he'd be in Hartford this season.
The thing that has always impressed me with Liffiton's game was his poise and
sense of game awareness. In Jrs he was already aware of always keeping his man to the outside and not losing tract of where his man was. I remember watching a JR game and was actually interested in a player on the other team. At the time Liffiton was Colorado property and I didn't know from adam who he was or if he had even been drafted. By the end of the game I had to know who owned this kids rights. He was by far the best defenseman out on the ice. When the Rangers landed him in the trade I was ecstatic.

Since then I have had the opportunity to watch him some more, especially last year when he played in the ECHL and AHL. Again he continued to do all the things that orginally impressed me and he's got amean streak. He's a typical young player who will fill out as their body matures. He's not flashy, but solid. He will be a good partner to an offensive defenseman. He's one of those players who team take a flyer on in the draft in the hopes that the kid continues to improve. Under sather we have been able to uncover those types of players and take some calcualted gambles on selecting or acquiring them.

I have not had an opportunity to see him thus far this year and would welcome an analysis of his play so far this year from someone who has seen him play on several occassions.

Old
01-11-2006, 11:23 AM
natureboy*

Quote:
Again? For crying out loud hes a rookie, and for a rookie he has played good. He has games where he is the best defensmen on our team and other games where he makes mistakes. Its all part of learning. I don't understand why people thought he would come into the season and play like a 10 year vet.
What games have you been watching. Granted he is still young, but he has had a very sub par year. The last two games he has finally been hitting the net with his shots. Remember he was suppose to be a #1 or defenseman but personally I see him as a 4 maybe 3.

Old
01-11-2006, 11:50 AM
DarthSather99

1.Staal
2.Sauer
3.Tytuin
4.Pock
5.Baranka
6.Guenin
7.Potter
8.Flatt