2016-2017 Boston Celtics/NBA Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2016, 06:37 PM
CDJ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyduke View Post
I have no problem with durant choosing warriors if that's what happens. That's what nba players do these days, they team up with other great players. I don't see what the issue is.
Oh I wouldn't even mind it. It would be great to watch a team hit 30 3s in a game and it would ensure lebron would never win again. I'm just not going to pretend like those are his titles if they win more

Old
07-03-2016, 06:40 PM
Ten Thousand Hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJ View Post
Oh I wouldn't even mind it. It would be great to watch a team hit 30 3s in a game and it would ensure lebron would never win again. I'm just not going to pretend like those are his titles if they win more
They don't have to be. He's good even if we wins no titles. Not everyone needs to be considered better than Jordan for them to be happy. Durant isn't on that level.

And LeBron could still win. Cleveland isn't built ideally right now.

Old
07-03-2016, 06:44 PM
Mr Cartmenez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten Thousand Hours View Post
It's absolutely not a Celtics view. You're right. It's a leaguewide view. Go on r/nba if he signs with Golden State and every team's fans will **** on him. Still an annoying attitude though. He's just a basketball player who wants to play good basketball.
It's not annoying IMO as long as people don't go overboard with it. As I said, I wouldn't hate on him, just (like CDJ) not rate the future titles as much as if he did it in Boston or OKC...and I think that is a legit view NBA is all about legacy, that's how the sport works. But if that's ok for him, then he absolutely couldn't care less about it and sign with the Warriors.

Old
07-03-2016, 06:52 PM
MattFromFranklin
#FireSweeneyandNeely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Shulzhoffer View Post
So if Durant signs with Boston he is the next hero. Anywhere else a would be championship is tainted.

Green teamers...
Donnie, how dare you bring logic into this?

"You're a troll!"-Every idiotic caller/tweeter that has yelled at Tanguay, Minihane and Felger for saying the exact same thing you said.

Gotta love the Green Teamers, right?

Old
07-03-2016, 06:54 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Hey, you're here. Are you gonna admit that you were wrong that cap space means nothing to us or that we failed by not giving up assets for players at the draft?
Why would I admit anything? The teams the C's are competing against have cap space to afford adding a guy like Durant, no? Therefore my statement that everyone has cap space is valid. The only caveat was the ability to add two max deals, but like I said to CDJ, the teams they're battling for over Durant don't need to add two max players, so again, it's still irrelevant.

Old
07-03-2016, 06:55 PM
CDJ

Quote:
They don't have to be. He's good even if we wins no titles. Not everyone needs to be considered better than Jordan for them to be happy. Durant isn't on that level.

And LeBron could still win. Cleveland isn't built ideally right now.
No he can't and he won't ever again, I will not stand for it.

Old
07-03-2016, 06:58 PM
Ten Thousand Hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
Why would I admit anything? The teams the C's are competing against have cap space to afford adding a guy like Durant, no? Therefore my statement that everyone has cap space is valid. The only caveat was the ability to add two max deals, but like I said to CDJ, the teams they're battling for over Durant don't need to add two max players, so again, it's still irrelevant.
Competing against for Durant? I'm not just talking about Durant. We added the type of player you were clamoring for at the draft and then said Ainge failed because he wasn't able to flip the 3rd overall pick. Now he has the pick and a good player. Because of the cap space. It's not all about Durant. That was always a long shot.

Old
CDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
And like I said, being able to pick the other highly regarded free agent that you are on the record as having on a short list of guys you want to play with (per Zach Lowe) is very attractive

We are the only ones who could do that. It's a legitimate selling point. Now will he come here? Idk probably not, winning with curry and Thompson and green or making a **** ton of money with his buddies Russ and oladipo is enticing too. But nobody knows exactly what he is looking for and the celtics are the only ones who could factor Horford into the equation. There's a reason why KD was trying to recruit Horford to come to OKC. That isn't the biggest factor but I'm sure it helps the celtics in the sweepstakes, that's for damn sure

Old
riverhawkey91

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattFromFranklin View Post
Donnie, how dare you bring logic into this?

"You're a troll!"-Every idiotic caller/tweeter that has yelled at Tanguay, Minihane and Felger for saying the exact same thing you said.

Gotta love the Green Teamers, right?
That's not what anyone is saying though. Pretty much everyone agrees take out the "Celtics" from that statement and insert any team that isn't the Warriors and the same actual logic would hold. So by this "logic" you mention, everyone from every team that isn't the Warriors is a Green Teamer?

There's a big difference between a couple star guys teaming up to do something special and win a few championships, and what Durant would be doing by going to a team that's already won a championship with their existing team.

Old
07-03-2016, 06:59 PM
Ten Thousand Hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverhawkey91 View Post
That's not what anyone is saying though. Pretty much everyone agrees take out the "Celtics" from that statement and insert any team that isn't the Warriors and the same actual logic would hold.

There's a big difference between a couple star guys teaming to do something special and win a few championships, and what Durant would be doing by going to a team that's already won a championship with their existing team.
Yeah, again, I don't agree with the potential criticism of Durant, but there's no reason to call out Celtics fans. It's not a Celtics fanbase thing.

Old
07-03-2016, 07:01 PM
Ten Thousand Hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJ View Post
And like I said, being able to pick the other highly regarded free agent that you are on the record as having on a short list of guys you want to play with (per Zach Lowe) is very attractive

We are the only ones who could do that. It's a legitimate selling point. Now will he come here? Idk probably not, winning with curry and Thompson and green or making a **** ton of money with his buddies Russ and oladipo is enticing too. But nobody knows exactly what he is looking for and the celtics are the only ones who could factor Horford into the equation. There's a reason why KD was trying to recruit Horford to come to OKC.
I don't think it's fair to say Durant handpicked Horford as if that's the guy he wants to play with out of anybody. He was just the best available of the current free agents. He's not better than the other guys Durant can choose to play with.

Old
07-03-2016, 07:03 PM
CDJ

Quote:
I don't think it's fair to say Durant handpicked Horford as if that's the guy he wants to play with out of anybody. He was just the best available of the current free agents. He's not better than the other guys Durant can choose to play with.
He is on a short list of players he wants to play with- per Zach Lowe. I didn't say he was THE player. Just one of the few in the league he really wants to play with. That is also evidenced by his recruiting of Horford to OKC (with Horford not going due to no long term commitment from Russ and Durant)

Old
07-03-2016, 07:08 PM
riverhawkey91

Quote:
Yeah, again, I don't agree with the potential criticism of Durant, but there's no reason to call out Celtics fans. It's not a Celtics fanbase thing.
I think the potential criticism is plenty warranted.

Sure, it's his right as a free agent to do whatever he wants and go wherever he wants to go. So by that aspect, you really can't knock him for entertaining the idea.

But going to the Warriors, to me, would be him admitting (to us and himself) that he can't be the star player to bring a championship to a city. He wouldn't be the best player on the Warriors, that'll still be Steph, and there's a chance that he'd get lost enough in the shuffle that he isn't even the second best player on the team.

At least when Lebron went to Miami (it seriously pains me to make a point in defense of Lebron), it was clear that he was going to be the star and just needed a star-studded entourage to complement him. Durant would the complementary piece for the Warriors, and that's a huge knock and disrespect for someone of his talent.

Old
07-03-2016, 07:13 PM
Ten Thousand Hours

Quote:
I think the potential criticism is plenty warranted.

Sure, it's his right as a free agent to do whatever he wants and go wherever he wants to go. So by that aspect, you really can't knock him for entertaining the idea.

But going to the Warriors, to me, would be him admitting (to us and himself) that he can't be the star player to bring a championship to a city. He wouldn't be the best player on the Warriors, that'll still be Steph, and there's a chance that he'd get lost enough in the shuffle that he isn't even the second best player on the team.

At least when Lebron went to Miami (it seriously pains me to make a point in defense of Lebron), it was clear that he was going to be the star and just needed a star-studded entourage to complement him. Durant would the complementary piece for the Warriors, and that's a huge knock and disrespect for someone of his talent.
And that's worthy of criticism? Do you realize how few players are good enough to know that they'll win a championship without a really good team around him? Like I said before, he's a great player even if he never wins a title. Or if he wins as a #2.

Also, Durant might still be the leading scorer on Golden State. He's not just gonna be Harrison Barnes.

Old
07-03-2016, 07:21 PM
KrejciMVP

Quote:
And that's worthy of criticism? Do you realize how few players are good enough to know that they'll win a championship without a really good team around him? Like I said before, he's a great player even if he never wins a title. Or if he wins as a #2.

Also, Durant might still be the leading scorer on Golden State. He's not just gonna be Harrison Barnes.
It's just not inspiring. Who cares if Durant wins a title in GS. Just too easy. People like to see teams overcome adversity.

Old
07-03-2016, 07:25 PM
riverhawkey91

Quote:

I think it is worthy of criticism only because I do think he's good enough to actually be that guy. If we were talking about someone like say Blake Griffin or CP3 or lower top-10 guys, I wouldn't necessarily say the criticism is warranted. But Durant is just too good to want/need to go to a team that's already an established NBA champion, where he isn't necessarily even the #1 guy. That's a cop out to me.

He's obviously going to need a really good team around him, these days everyone does. You can't win a championship in this era without multiple good players. But, like I said, there's a difference between him going somewhere (or staying somewhere) where they're going to build a championship team, and him going somewhere that's already a championship team without him.

Old
07-03-2016, 07:32 PM
Mr Cartmenez

Quote:
I think it is worthy of criticism only because I do think he's good enough to actually be that guy. If we were talking about someone like say Blake Griffin or CP3 or lower top-10 guys, I wouldn't necessarily say the criticism is warranted. But Durant is just too good to want/need to go to a team that's already an established NBA champion, where he isn't necessarily even the #1 guy. That's a cop out to me.

He's obviously going to need a really good team around him, these days everyone does. You can't win a championship in this era without multiple good players. But, like I said, there's a difference between him going somewhere (or staying somewhere) where they're going to build a championship team, and him going somewhere that's already a championship team without him.
Bingo! KD getting the heat for joining GSW is actually complimenting him in a way. People would be disappointed because they know he absolutely can be the alpha dog on a team, not playing second fiddle to Steph and Dray.

By the way, is it even a guarantee that the Warriors would be much better with +Durant but minus Bogut, Ezeli, Iguodala and/or Barnes alias no depth anymore. Not sure they would have to sacrifice all of them, though.
They got rocked by the Cavs on the boards, it certainly wasn't the shooting that let them down.

Old
07-03-2016, 07:35 PM
CDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cartmenez View Post
Bingo! KD getting the heat for joining GSW is actually complimenting him in a way. People would be disappointed because they know he absolutely can be the alpha dog on a team, not playing second fiddle to Steph and Dray.

By the way, is it even a guarantee that the Warriors would be much better with +Durant but minus Bogut, Ezeli, Iguodala and/or Barnes alias no depth anymore. Not sure they would have to sacrifice all of them, though.
They got rocked by the Cavs on the boards, it certainly wasn't the shooting that let them down.
Decent Players would come on veteran minimums (if there are any left)

Old
07-03-2016, 07:57 PM
BostonBob
4 Ever The Greatest

Bad news - CBS Sports is reporting that Durant has narrowed down his choices to Golden State and OKC.

Old
07-03-2016, 07:59 PM
iReckless

I have very little faith in the reporting that ESPN does. I remember hearing from their reporters all day yesterday that Al Horford was favored to re-sign with the Hawks... Once he signs with the Celtics the people on ESPN start acting like this doesn't make Boston better and everything.

Old
07-03-2016, 08:01 PM
iReckless

From a branding standpoint it makes too much sense to sign with Boston. Durant's shoe sales and jersey sales would shoot through the roof.

Old
07-03-2016, 08:01 PM
4ORRBRUIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by iReckless View Post
I have very little faith in the reporting that ESPN does. I remember hearing from their reporters all day yesterday that Al Horford was favored to re-sign with the Hawks... Once he signs with the Celtics the people on ESPN start acting like this doesn't make Boston better and everything.
And then the Brinks truck pulled up to his house.

Old
07-03-2016, 08:03 PM
iReckless

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ORRBRUIN View Post
And then the Brinks truck pulled up to his house.
Hawks could have offered him more

Old
07-03-2016, 08:04 PM
pgm16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBob View Post
Bad news - CBS Sports is reporting that Durant has narrowed down his choices to Golden State and OKC.
& Crawford resigns with LAC

Old
07-03-2016, 08:04 PM
KrejciMVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBob View Post
.....and all that damn recruiting our local sports athletes did. He would have been so big here

Closed Thread