HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Ted Nolan

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2006, 04:11 PM
BeckeramosIsHere

vCash: 500
OT: Ted Nolan

Was listening to Mike and the MadDod here in NY today and they were talking about the Islanders situation. They were talking to Joe Micheletti and he was saying basically how Steve Sterling days are numbered as Islanders Head Coach. Mike and the Dog were wondering how Milbury gets the opportunity to hire a new coach with how many he's already hired. They talked about Peter Laviolette and how he was to immature with some of the things he did and just wasn't ready to be a coach. They then wondered who the next coach could be. They threw out Ted Nolan's name as a guy that should in no way be considered for the job. Micheletti agreed and said Nolan will not be considered.

Finally, my question is, what did Ted Nolan do up in Buffalo that was so bad? Now there was one thing that I heard, but I don't know if it's a fact or not. I'm sure I'm not the only one who heard it, so I'll let someone else bring it up. That was the one thing that I did hear though. Was there any other things? Does anyone have any info on this for me? Just something i was curious about, that's all. Thanx.

Old
01-10-2006, 04:18 PM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
In that they need a taskmaster and a strong leader as a coach, the Islanders can use Nolan. In that they don't need someone to rock the boat, they could live without him. I'm sure Nolan would think he's smarter than Milbury, which would cause internal friction.

Nevertheless, Nolan's a personality I would like to see back in the NHL.

Old
01-10-2006, 04:24 PM
natureboy*

Yeah and when they talk about it they BELITTLE messier night. What losers. Messier was great and he derserves to have his # retired. He put up when it mattered most despite that Dufus Russo ridiculing him.

Old
01-10-2006, 04:26 PM
natureboy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckeramosIsHere
Was listening to Mike and the MadDod here in NY today and they were talking about the Islanders situation. They were talking to Joe Micheletti and he was saying basically how Steve Sterling days are numbered as Islanders Head Coach. Mike and the Dog were wondering how Milbury gets the opportunity to hire a new coach with how many he's already hired. They talked about Peter Laviolette and how he was to immature with some of the things he did and just wasn't ready to be a coach. They then wondered who the next coach could be. They threw out Ted Nolan's name as a guy that should in no way be considered for the job. Micheletti agreed and said Nolan will not be considered.

Finally, my question is, what did Ted Nolan do up in Buffalo that was so bad? Now there was one thing that I heard, but I don't know if it's a fact or not. I'm sure I'm not the only one who heard it, so I'll let someone else bring it up. That was the one thing that I did hear though. Was there any other things? Does anyone have any info on this for me? Just something i was curious about, that's all. Thanx.
There have been numerous rumors but nothing confirmed. But the two I hear the most is he either had an affair with a players wife or he kept back stabbing his boss John Muckler and Muckler is universally respected around the league.

Old
01-10-2006, 04:32 PM
Davisian

Quote:
Originally Posted by natureboy
There have been numerous rumors but nothing confirmed. But the two I hear the most is he either had an affair with a players wife or he kept back stabbing his boss John Muckler and Muckler is universally respected around the league.
I was listening to an interview on XM, I can't remember the guys name, but he was a beat writer with the Sabres back in the Nolan era, and knew the team extensively.

He said all the "vicious" rumors were complete Horsebleep, and nothing of the sort happened.

There was problems with Muckler, and some clashes with Hasek, but the way he explained it, the ownership group at the time was to blame, as they pitted Nolan against his GM, and against thier star player, talking with forked tongues to each of them.

Apparently Muckler holds no ill will towards Nolan now, and neither does Hasek, and neither does Nolan to either of them.

Old
01-10-2006, 04:46 PM
BeckeramosIsHere

Yeah, thanx for the feedback. Was just curious if anyone had heard some of the same rumors that I heard. You did. Doesn't mean they were true though.

As to them belittling Messier night, I turned it off after they talked to Micheletti. When I heard them talk about Messier night earlier though, they didn't seem to belittle it to me. They were talking about it as a reason to go see the Rangers. Seemed more like they were belittleing the Rangers more than they were Messier. The Rangers are playing well this year. This fact should be brought to them.

Old
01-10-2006, 04:50 PM
in the hall

Quote:
i heard black mail and i remember having an affair with hasek's wife

Old
01-10-2006, 04:54 PM
BeckeramosIsHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall
i heard black mail and i remember having an affair with hasek's wife
Yeah, Hasek was the one I heard too. Who knows though.

Old
01-10-2006, 10:18 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Give me a break--how does a NHL coach find time to have an affair with a player's wife? It's not like he's in town when the team is traveling.

As for Nolan as a coach: unless he's coaching somewhere I haven't heard about, he's been out of the NHL too long. If he wants to get back into the NHL as a head coach he needs to get back into the business of coaching professionally.

Old
01-10-2006, 10:27 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Nolan and then and now again Sabres President Larry Quinn tried to remove John Muckler which resulted in Muckler getting fired.Nolan's contract was up and new Sabres GM Darcy Regier offered Nolan a one year deal.Nolan rejected the deal and that was it.Mike Milbury offered Nolan an associate coach position with the Islanders with Milbury being the coach but Nolan rejected it

Old
01-10-2006, 11:35 PM
JCProdigy

I remember this topic coming up a few years ago on this board when the Rangers where looking for Low's replacement. The only thing that stuck with me was somebody said something to the effect, 'If Nolan believed in God then there is no doubt that he believes that God is the person that he sees in the mirror every morning.'

Dunno why he's not coaching in the NHL but there definitely has to be a reason why he is seemingly blackballed from this league.

Old
01-11-2006, 12:46 AM
Draft Guru

vCash: 920
For anyone wondering what he's been up to lately, Nolan is currently coaching in the QMJHL with the Moncton Wildcats.

Old
01-11-2006, 01:03 AM
NYRGoalieGlut*

Quote:
Yeah and when they talk about it they BELITTLE messier night. What losers. Messier was great and he derserves to have his # retired. He put up when it mattered most despite that Dufus Russo ridiculing him.
What did they say about Messiah night?

Edit: I meant Messier. Freudian Slip?

Old
01-11-2006, 05:10 AM
Kostik

Nolan?muhaha
I read very interesting things about him in Hasek's book.
From what i read, he was quite incompetent, he was hanging out with youngsters like Barnaby in the pub, he had favourite players in the team who were spying for him and so...Hasek never liked him, he had some major incident with Muckler, he never teached tactics(his asistents did)...i know it's may be colored by Hasek, but...
Hey Islanders, Nolan is your go to guy, pick him!
(you will go to down like iron traverse to the sea bottom)

Old
01-11-2006, 08:29 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

If I'm LI I clean house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckeramosIsHere

Milbury is a fool. How he has lasted this long is amazing. Ranger fans complain about Slats, imagine if we had Milbury as our GM? The problem on LI is Milbury. He stabbed Maloney in the back and it is time for to acknowledge that he's a stooge!
He's traded away some of the top talent in the NHL today and has constructed a team on the foundation of one of the worst team players in all sports. when he choose Yashin over Peca you had to know this was coming.

Milbury should have taken a page out of Sather's book and brought in Russian players that respect Yashin. Only problem is is that I don't think there reallyare any Russian players who look up to him. They are now firmly stuck with him and the really bad news is is that his contract goes up, not down, so it only gets worst!
Whoever comes in is going to be saddled with one of sports all time worst contracts! There is noway out now from that burden. Way to go Mikey!

Old
01-11-2006, 08:41 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
Milbury is a fool. How he has lasted this long is amazing. Ranger fans complain about Slats, imagine if we had Milbury as our GM? The problem on LI is Milbury. He stabbed Maloney in the back and it is time for to acknowledge that he's a stooge!
He's traded away some of the top talent in the NHL today and has constructed a team on the foundation of one of the worst team players in all sports. when he choose Yashin over Peca you had to know this was coming.

Milbury should have taken a page out of Sather's book and brought in Russian players that respect Yashin. Only problem is is that I don't think there reallyare any Russian players who look up to him. They are now firmly stuck with him and the really bad news is is that his contract goes up, not down, so it only gets worst!
Whoever comes in is going to be saddled with one of sports all time worst contracts! There is noway out now from that burden. Way to go Mikey!
You can't the house much more. They have young guys playing. And they have a guy named Yashin who has a financial headlock on the team. MM certainly picked the wrong horse to bet the farm (pun intended!) on.

01-11-2006, 08:45 AM
Melrose_Jr.

I can't even remember where I heard it now, but Ted Nolan apparently contacted Lou Lam to express interest in a job with the Devs after Robinson left.

Closed Thread