HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Janne Niinimaa is a Dallas Star.

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2006, 09:38 AM
Reaper45

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn
How so? Big, mean d-men with limited offensive potential... sounds like they are a lot alike.

Regardless, Dallas overpaid for Niinimaa unless he turns his game around. If you guys get upset because the Kings won't overpay for an underachiever, then that's too bad.

You know the saying, don't confuse activity with achievement.

Edit: I will say that I do want the Kings to improve their roster, and wouldn't have even minded if they got Niinimaa... but I don't want them to overpay for the guy, either.
True Niinima hasn't lived up to standards this year, BUT Erskine is an enforcer, plain and simple. Petiot is not on the road to becoming an enforcer. Erskine is more comparable to a guy like Rullier. I still fail to see how a 2nd and an enforcer for a potential top 4- whichever Janne shows up-, is an overpayment?

Old
01-11-2006, 10:57 AM
Starsdude

Janne was a top 4 d-man then the Isles lose Hamrlick Aucoin and Jonnson. Now you suck. Just don't buy it Zubov had the same rep when at Pitt . The stars ask their forwards to do more and d-men less. Janne will be fine. he takes Modano off the pp point which is good. He is a left shot which is good as Boucher or Klemm can go to their nat side. Erskine was plaing better but was no more than a7th d-man here. You guys have great young depth but if you are seroius about arun you need to trade a few youngsters who are blocked for higher end talent with playoff experience. That said you have our number right now unfortunately

Old
01-11-2006, 12:32 PM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsdude
Janne was a top 4 d-man then the Isles lose Hamrlick Aucoin and Jonnson.
He never played like a top 4 D WITH Aucoin/Hamrlik/Jonsson

we never knew...why niinmaa never panned out for us but if you look it up his #s decreased every year with us.

He has the talent.....just not the discipline.

01-11-2006, 12:39 PM
multiball

Send a message via AIM to multiball
Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn
You know the saying, don't confuse activity with achievement.
Egg-ZACT-ly

I think we're all in agreement that the Kings need defensive help, and the two camps in this thread are coming at the same thing from different angles.

I fall squarely in the "Niinimaa is NOT the answer" block. Turning this into a DT bash just feels reactionary. There will actually be more defencemen available this year!

Old
01-11-2006, 12:46 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
True Niinima hasn't lived up to standards this year, BUT Erskine is an enforcer, plain and simple. Petiot is not on the road to becoming an enforcer. Erskine is more comparable to a guy like Rullier. I still fail to see how a 2nd and an enforcer for a potential top 4- whichever Janne shows up-, is an overpayment?
Okay, maybe the Petiot comparison was off base... but at his salary and lack of production at this point, a second round pick and regular defenseman is overpayment. Isn't Niinimaa making like over $2 million?

Old
01-11-2006, 04:48 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiball

I fall squarely in the "Niinimaa is NOT the answer" block. Turning this into a DT bash just feels reactionary. There will actually be more defencemen available this year!
I've yet to see someone bash DT. If anything this is more like us venting anger at our owners. I dont see anyone upset that we didn't get Niinimaa either, it's the fact that they're happy with what they've got.

Old
01-11-2006, 04:58 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_17
Bottom line: Dallas is now a better team. And we're not.

let me tell you all something about Janne Niinimaa....

he sucks

Old
01-11-2006, 05:02 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514

he sucks
I love how gkj gets to the point and doesn't sugar cote stuff.

Old
01-11-2006, 05:06 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=142354&hubname=nhl

"He was moaning and (complaining) and I didn't want to hear anymore," Stirling told Newsday. "Nothing else to say. It's about keep your mouth shut and work ... It's a distraction. So why not get rid of the distraction for the hour so we can get some work done? And we did."

Stirling had criticized Niinimaa for a mistake he made during a drill. Niinimaa insists he wasn't talking back but said he wanted to do the drill over again.

Old
01-11-2006, 05:46 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=142354&hubname=nhl

"He was moaning and (complaining) and I didn't want to hear anymore," Stirling told Newsday. "Nothing else to say. It's about keep your mouth shut and work ... It's a distraction. So why not get rid of the distraction for the hour so we can get some work done? And we did."

Stirling had criticized Niinimaa for a mistake he made during a drill. Niinimaa insists he wasn't talking back but said he wanted to do the drill over again.
Niinimaa is going to be an all-star or a complete bust with the Stars.
We can hope for the latter, but I have a feeling the he first one is going to apply.

Old
01-11-2006, 06:50 PM
Fripp

Quote:

he sucks
Its true. This isnt 1997 ... if anyone got better its the Isles.

Old
01-11-2006, 09:26 PM
multiball

Send a message via AIM to multiball
Quote:
I've yet to see someone bash DT.
But...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob
Apparently only Dave Taylor thinks that teams that lead their Division shouldn't make deals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvLA
I am getting so sick of DT's bs about being happy with the team. Get real. Why the heck won't he get off his butt and pull the trigger?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen
As far as I'm concerned he owes us by replacing the mistakes he did make. Nobody stands pat better than Dave Taylor, what year of the 5 year plan is this again?
Quote:
And DT will go dumpster diving again and try to sell us on how great the pickup is for the team.... It's getting old, folks.
Are we reading the same thread? Or is this one of those "purple monkey dishwasher" things by the time it goes around the circle? I agree that your posts were directed at management and I very much agree with your frustration with them. I still agree with almost everyone here that we need some help on defence, but the pseudo-furor created over Janne Niinimaa borders on amusing.

I'll second the motion to pick up Witt or Souray or Colin White if the price is right.

Old
01-11-2006, 10:18 PM
Osprey

Quote:
I still agree with almost everyone here that we need some help on defence, but the pseudo-furor created over Janne Niinimaa borders on amusing.
What's more amusing is your use of hyperbole, multiball . "Pseudo-furor"? People are simply impatient, as well as upset that the same pattern that they're tired of is seemingly taking shape again, that pattern being making do until Spring and acquiring someone either too late or too ineffective to make much of a difference. Cynicism is in full swing here, not "pseudo-furor." Maybe you're not the cynical type and you have more patience than most, great, but a lot of the rest of us have been around this block before and can't help but be a little cynical seeing the same ol' drill playing out for the umpteenth time.

Last edited by Osprey: 01-11-2006 at 10:24 PM.
Old
01-11-2006, 10:23 PM
ILuvLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
What's more amusing is your use of hyperbole, multiball . "Pseudo-furor"? People are simply impatient, as well as upset that the same pattern that they're tired of is seemingly taking shape again, that pattern being making do until Spring and acquiring someone either too late or too ineffective. Cynicism is in full swing here, not "pseudo-furor." Maybe you're not the cynical type and you have more patience than most, great, but a lot of the rest of us have been around the block and are a little tired of the same drill every year.
Once again, I am in agreement with you. We've all heard the same spin for how many years? Not withstanding TL's comments at the preseason presser, it's been the same ol' story so far this year. Same story, different year.

Old
01-11-2006, 10:45 PM
Captain Ron

I agree that maybe my frustration was not aimed at the proper person. But it is still deserved. Us longterm Kings fans are tired of mediocrity being praised. I for once would like to check the standings and see my team with a commanding lead in their division. Unfortunately the ownership/management group for this team is not as dedicated to icing a winning club as we fans would like. They are satisfied with a competitive product. This kind of thinking will not result in a championship for the Kings in the foreseeable future.

Old
01-11-2006, 10:53 PM
ILuvLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob
I agree that maybe my frustration was not aimed at the proper person. But it is still deserved. Us longterm Kings fans are tired of mediocrity being praised. I for once would like to check the standings and see my team with a commanding lead in their division. Unfortunately the ownership/management group for this team is not as dedicated to icing a winning club as we fans would like. They are satisfied with a competitive product. This kind of thinking will not result in a championship for the Kings in the foreseeable future.

Old
01-11-2006, 11:00 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Once again, I am in agreement with you. We've all heard the same spin for how many years? Not withstanding TL's comments at the preseason presser, it's been the same ol' story so far this year. Same story, different year.
Personally, what ruffles my feathers more than getting someone or not is the "I'm happy with the team" attitude. Is DT's happiness with the team leading him to pass on good opportunities? We don't know, and it could very well be the opposite of the truth, but the thing is that DT has done little to instill in us enough trust to discount it as a possibility. Maybe that's the source of the cynicism: we just can't trust DT like fans of contenders have come to trust their GMs, though we wish we could (See: Spongebob's post).

Last edited by Osprey: 01-11-2006 at 11:11 PM.
Old
01-11-2006, 11:13 PM
ILuvLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
Personally, what ruffles my feathers more than getting someone or not is the "I'm happy with the team" attitude. Is DT's happiness with the team leading him to pass on good opportunities? We don't know, and it could very well be the opposite of the truth, but the thing is that DT has done little to instill in us enough trust to discount it as a possibility. Maybe that's the source of the cynicism: we just can't trust DT like fans of contenders have come to trust their GMs, though we wish we could (See: Spongebob's post).

Old
01-11-2006, 11:18 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:

he sucks
Well put. I don't see the major reaction over this trade from a Kings fan standpoint.

Subtraction by Addition

Old
01-12-2006, 12:08 AM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather
Well put. I don't see the major reaction over this trade from a Kings fan standpoint.

Subtraction by Addition
It's not over us missing out on Niinimaa, hell I dont like him. It's the fact that while Dallas has a lead in the division, they make a move to try and help their club, and when the Kigns were in first we were fed the lines about the management being happy with the team, and we're not going to add more payroll.

Old
01-12-2006, 12:09 AM
Reaper45

Quote:
But...

Are we reading the same thread? Or is this one of those "purple monkey dishwasher" things by the time it goes around the circle? I agree that your posts were directed at management and I very much agree with your frustration with them. I still agree with almost everyone here that we need some help on defence, but the pseudo-furor created over Janne Niinimaa borders on amusing.

I'll second the motion to pick up Witt or Souray or Colin White if the price is right.
Ha, ok, what I should ahve said is that I've yet to bash DT. He's always made good deals when given the opportunity, I just believe that his hands are truly tied by management.

Old
01-12-2006, 03:28 AM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

you know...we all laughed at the Ducks for trading a 2nd for Fedoruk...why? becuase he's only an enforcer...Now, there doesnt seem to be a single person who thinks that trade is bad...
well, erskine is also a 24 year old "enforcer," though i really dont think he qualifies as one, but a young physcial Dman, who can fill the enfocer role....that could be extremely valuable...not to mention, they also got a 2nd rounder....i think Dallas may have overpaid

Old
01-12-2006, 06:38 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
It's not over us missing out on Niinimaa, hell I dont like him. It's the fact that while Dallas has a lead in the division, they make a move to try and help their club, and when the Kigns were in first we were fed the lines about the management being happy with the team, and we're not going to add more payroll.

Why would the Kings make a move for a player they wouldn't feel would help their team?

And people are unhappy with Joe Corvo? Put Janne Niinimaa out there. With him all he does is the same things Corvo does except rack up the +'s because the puck is always going in the net when Niinimaa is on the ice. Plus he has a terrible attitude

Old
01-12-2006, 06:39 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Ziggy Palffy
you know...we all laughed at the Ducks for trading a 2nd for Fedoruk...why? becuase he's only an enforcer...Now, there doesnt seem to be a single person who thinks that trade is bad...
well, erskine is also a 24 year old "enforcer," though i really dont think he qualifies as one, but a young physcial Dman, who can fill the enfocer role....that could be extremely valuable...not to mention, they also got a 2nd rounder....i think Dallas may have overpaid

Wrong...that still wasn't a good trade for the Ducks, they could have gotten almost any enforcer they wanted for a lot less.

Old
01-13-2006, 05:44 PM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

Quote:
Wrong...that still wasn't a good trade for the Ducks, they could have gotten almost any enforcer they wanted for a lot less.
Fedoruk may be the one enforcer in the league worth a 2nd....plus, that pick was pretty much a 3rd since it was the 2nd to last pick in the draft....the trade will be always questionable b/c Fedoruk isnt a high-powered offensive force, but the impact he makes on games is unmistakable and i doubt the ducks regret that trade at all

Closed Thread