HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

News from Post and News 10-21-03

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2003, 03:17 AM
Goulet17

vCash: 500
News from Post and News 10-21-03

Svatos is scheduled for surgery on his partially dislocated surgery and likely will miss the remainder of the season. It is his second major surgery on his left shoulder in the last nine months.

Worrell practiced Monday and although he will not play tonight, he may make his season debut against Edmonton on Thursday.

The Post reported that Granato plans to use McAllister on the wing tonight on a line with Cummins and Battaglia. Talk about one of the all time bad lines, this line may make me pine for the days of Shantz and Keane on the fourth line.

I can't imagine such a line getting more than 4-5 minutes of ice team. It really just means the Avs are going with three lines only tonight. I think it also means that Battaglia's days are numbered in Colorado. He has already been a healthy scratch by Granato and now he will play on a throw away line less than five games into the season. It is obvious to me that Granato doesn't like him for whatever reason. It would be nice to at least trade him for something if he is simply an asset that will not be utilized here in Colorado.

Old
10-21-2003, 03:58 AM
Zodiac

Granato is an ass.

Old
10-21-2003, 04:00 AM
SilverSkate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goulet17
Svatos is scheduled for surgery on his partially dislocated surgery and likely will miss the remainder of the season.

Old
10-21-2003, 04:19 AM
Belgian Fan

I don't like either of these things.

I'm hoping Svatos can definatly get rid of his shoulder problems by next season.

And I absolutely don't like the idea of having Big Mac, Cummins and Bates on one line...

Old
10-21-2003, 04:33 AM
Zodiac

1st line ...blah blah
2nd line ...blah blah

3rd line = Hahl/Nikolishin/Hinote ??
4th line = Battaglia/Cummins/McAllister ?? WTF is with that?

Rocky Mountain or Denver Post said that McCormick will be a healthy scratch. Huh?

None of Bates, Cummins, or McAllister play center either eh?

Seems pretty f'd up right there.

Stupid stupid stupid. If you ask me.

Old
10-21-2003, 06:34 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Wow, if this is true, somone needs to take a shovel to Granato's head

Old
10-21-2003, 06:48 AM
Mr. Avalanche

If Battaglia is in the doghouse, trade him and Skoula then. Pick up Berard as the # 6 D and we're good to go.

Old
10-21-2003, 07:23 AM
Bill Peckerskull
Farging Ice Holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydianSlip
1st line ...blah blah
2nd line ...blah blah

3rd line = Hahl/Nikolishin/Hinote ??
4th line = Battaglia/Cummins/McAllister ?? WTF is with that?

Rocky Mountain or Denver Post said that McCormick will be a healthy scratch. Huh?

None of Bates, Cummins, or McAllister play center either eh?

Seems pretty f'd up right there.

Stupid stupid stupid. If you ask me.
Come on guys, Tony couldn't be that stupid. My guess is the paper is wrong. Imagine that, a newspaper misquoting or printing some inaccurate information, lol.

All 3 of Hinote, Hahl, and Nikolishin can play center. My guess would be that one of them will play with Cummins and McAllister.

Old
10-21-2003, 08:30 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

God, I hope that isn't true. If anyone needs to be benched, it's that idiot Skoula.

Old
10-21-2003, 11:43 AM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
If Battaglia is in the dog house, than its only a matter of time before he is traded. Its funny how players who never were in Hartley's dog house were ever traded, yet the inexperienced Granato seems to be more than just a puppet within the organization. You give up a promising young sniper for a player you overrate. Than you demote him and now you will probably get half his value in a trade. Nice

The news about Svatos sucks, but it looks as if this could prevent him from having a lengthy NHL career. A small talented player who is injury prone...not good news.

It doesn't surprise me to see McAllister in the line up as a forward, but that proposed fourth line is brutal. I hope those games in which the three play as a line are few and far between.

Old
10-21-2003, 11:54 AM
DarioinDenver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori_18_23
If Battaglia is in the dog house, than its only a matter of time before he is traded. Its funny how players who never were in Hartley's dog house were ever traded, yet the inexperienced Granato seems to be more than just a puppet within the organization. You give up a promising young sniper for a player you overrate. Than you demote him and now you will probably get half his value in a trade. Nice

The news about Svatos sucks, but it looks as if this could prevent him from having a lengthy NHL career. A small talented player who is injury prone...not good news.

It doesn't surprise me to see McAllister in the line up as a forward, but that proposed fourth line is brutal. I hope those games in which the three play as a line are few and far between.
Well, 1/3rd of my season prediction has come true:

Worrell-Hahl-Hinote will quickly gain favor as an energy line that draws penalties and livens the crowd. Wilsie will finally gain favor in the 3rd line spot and Aubin/Bates are a tossup to get into Granato's dog house relatively quickly

Old
10-21-2003, 12:23 PM
Goulet17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarioinDenver
Well, 1/3rd of my season prediction has come true:

Worrell-Hahl-Hinote will quickly gain favor as an energy line that draws penalties and livens the crowd. Wilsie will finally gain favor in the 3rd line spot and Aubin/Bates are a tossup to get into Granato's dog house relatively quickly
I like the concept of a Worrell-Hahl-Hinote line. Hopefully Worrell will play in the near future.

I have this gnawing at the pit of my stomach that when Worrell comes back, at some point Granato is going to put together a Worrell-Cummins-McAllister line.

Old
10-21-2003, 12:27 PM
imagine29028

its only partially dislocated....and he is getting season ending surgery? That doesn't sound right to me....its either more than partially...or it has major tendon damage. Even so, the only thing that would require surgery is tendon damage (and it would have to be really bad)...otherwise you give it a few weeks off, and you go about your business.

is anyone else confused?

and why McAllister playing as a forward? does he have any experience with this? I mean the guy is slower than crap on the d-side...do we really need to influx that in our offense?

PL is slowing regretting Willsie and Aubin leave...with these injuries, those guys would have fit in great

Old
10-21-2003, 12:28 PM
Zodiac

I think it's pathetic what seems to be happening to Battaglia.

Aside from that, what about McCormick? Healthy scratch twice so far, in favor of skating McAllister as a forward. Pathetic.

I think McCormick should either be played (all the time) or sent down to Hershey.

I tell ya, Granato makes some dumbass decisions. Too bad we didn't have a good coach.

Old
10-21-2003, 01:13 PM
nathan

Man, Granato just needs to stay consistent with the lines. I mean, WTF is preseason for then?

Well, at least McAllister didn't get an automatic promotion to the 3rd line :p

And WTF is up w/ the Battaglia-Nikolishin-McCormick line? Through the early games, that line did the best job forechecking...or maybe Granato just doesn't like Battaglia or something.

Old
10-21-2003, 01:23 PM
Gumballhead

I fully expect to see Bates on the third line tonight. But that's me - I don't get too riled up by what I read in the papers.

I didn't see the Oilers game, but he looked to be doing just what he ought to against Minnesota. Unless he's packaged and traded for something pretty impressive, I think the whole Vrbata trade stinks. I really think the 3rd line can be good, but they have to play some together - has there been a set 3rd line yet? It should be Bates and Niko and Hinote, at least to see how that works over the course of a month or so. I hate it when there's no chance for chemistry because of constant tinkering. That 3rd line is going to be just as important as the top 2 lines in many games, so it should be treated that way.

Old
10-21-2003, 01:53 PM
avfan#21

If the papers are correct, it only goes to prove we have an imbecile for a coach. Why would Lacroix let McCormick sit in the pressbox instead of sending him to Hershey to play? I guess we'll have to wait and see but this stinks of another "lets throw Sauve to the divisional wolves" move by Granato. The guy is impressing me less and less.

Old
10-21-2003, 01:54 PM
AvsGuy

wasn't everyone raving about Bates the other night? "great play along the boards, nice pass to Liles for the goal..."

maybe wait a few more games before we start talkin a trade here.

Old
10-21-2003, 02:05 PM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Granato experimented with McAllister at forward at times during the preseason so Slovak and Liles could log major minutes. I think the injury to Svatos has something to do with this. Granato finds McAllister to be versitile so instead of recalling another forward, he can have him play both positions and keep the roster at 22.

I'm not sure many are pushing a trade of Battaglia, it just happens to be an interesting pattern that has existed since Granato has become coach. Any player who has lost favor with Granato has been moved. Something that rarely happened under Hartley, which lead many to speculate, including myself, that Tony is more than just a puppet within the organization.

I too fear a line of Worrell, Cummins and McAllister. Its hard to defend the depth of this team when you realize who is at the helm

Old
10-21-2003, 02:08 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

If this is true tonight, I will have lost all faith in the Avs winning the cup this season under an incompatent Tony Granato.

Boy was I wrong.

Old
10-21-2003, 02:16 PM
Yayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan
And WTF is up w/ the Battaglia-Nikolishin-McCormick line? Through the early games, that line did the best job forechecking...or maybe Granato just doesn't like Battaglia or something.
Maybe he doesn't like the mullet.

Closed Thread