HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Corey Locke a steal ?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-18-2003, 07:32 PM
  #1
Maithz
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Corey Locke a steal ?

I was looking at prospects stats on TSN an I found Corey Locke and I found that interesting :


2002-03 CHL - Player of the Year (Canadian Major Junior)
2002-03 CHL - Sheetrock Top Scorer Award (Canadian Major Junior)
2002-03 CHL - First All-Star Team (Canadian Major Junior)
2002-03 OHL - Red Tilson Trophy (Most Oustanding Player)
2002-03 OHL - Eddie Powers Memorial Trophy (Leading Scorer)
2002-03 OHL - First All-Star Team


All that in one year , it's really amazing

do you think he can play in NHL someday ?

 
Old
10-18-2003, 07:42 PM
  #2
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 24,366
vCash: 915
Ribeiro part.2 ... It would be interesting to see his number if he was in the Q .

Team_Spirit is offline  
Old
10-18-2003, 07:51 PM
  #3
cover_all_the_angles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 30
vCash: 500
its hard to tell if he was a steal.

I am sure all the other gm's and scouts knew about him and easily could of been selected earlier.

i know that houle stole 2 players, Markov and Ryder thus far. Kudos to Houle for that !

cover_all_the_angles is offline  
Old
10-18-2003, 09:15 PM
  #4
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,856
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS-65
I was looking at prospects stats on TSN an I found Corey Locke and I found that interesting :


2002-03 CHL - Player of the Year (Canadian Major Junior)
2002-03 CHL - Sheetrock Top Scorer Award (Canadian Major Junior)
2002-03 CHL - First All-Star Team (Canadian Major Junior)
2002-03 OHL - Red Tilson Trophy (Most Oustanding Player)
2002-03 OHL - Eddie Powers Memorial Trophy (Leading Scorer)
2002-03 OHL - First All-Star Team


All that in one year , it's really amazing

do you think he can play in NHL someday ?

He can't skate.

Habs is offline  
Old
10-18-2003, 09:25 PM
  #5
KOMO_ROCKS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Richmond, B.C
Posts: 4,788
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cover_all_the_angles
its hard to tell if he was a steal.

I am sure all the other gm's and scouts knew about him and easily could of been selected earlier.

i know that houle stole 2 players, Markov and Ryder thus far. Kudos to Houle for that !

KOMO_ROCKS is offline  
Old
10-18-2003, 09:52 PM
  #6
Quagmier
Registered User
 
Quagmier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs
He can't skate.
Neither could Ward or Ryder... Give him time, if he works hard, he's a steal

Quagmier is offline  
Old
10-18-2003, 09:53 PM
  #7
Hossa
Registered User
 
Hossa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Abroad
Posts: 9,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs
He can't skate.
Yep, although he is improving that. What Locke has that many small, players (like Wellwood) don't have, is grit. The guy plays with grit and heart, and unlike the aforementioned Wellwood, he is not a perimiter player.

Hossa is offline  
Old
10-18-2003, 10:03 PM
  #8
Joe Maximum
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 154
vCash: 500
Houle got us 2 steals... Too bad he couldn't get the non-steal picks ( 1st rounders ) right

Joe Maximum is offline  
Old
10-19-2003, 12:37 AM
  #9
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Maximum
Houle got us 2 steals... Too bad he couldn't get the non-steal picks ( 1st rounders ) right
They were also busts until Savard developed them properly.

Fish on The Sand is offline  
Old
10-19-2003, 05:44 AM
  #10
KILLger
Registered User
 
KILLger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,688
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Maximum
Houle got us 2 steals... Too bad he couldn't get the non-steal picks ( 1st rounders ) right
1996
2nd round (44th) Mathieu Garon
3rd round (71th) Arron Asham

1997
1st round (11th) Jason Ward

1998
1st round (16th) Éric Chouinard
2nd round (45th) Mike Ribeiro
3rd round (75th) François Beauchemin
6th round (152th) Gordie Dwyer
6th round (162th) Andrei Markov
8th round (216th) Michael Ryder

1999
There's Bashkirov (2nd round), Carkner (2nd round) and Shasby (5th round) that could make it..

2000
1st round (13th) Ron Hainsey
1st round (16th) Marcel Hossa
3rd round (78th) Josef Balej
8th round (243th) Joni Puurula

All in all, it's not that bad! His trades though...

KILLger is offline  
Old
10-19-2003, 06:52 AM
  #11
Capitano
Registered User
 
Capitano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,413
vCash: 500
At this point he needs to work on his skating, that much is true. However, it is much easier to improve your skating than to improve your offensive vision. He has a gift of intelligence and sometimes guys can skate and shoot but have nothing upstairs and they never go anywhere. At least Locke is a smart player and he will improve his skating.

Cap

Capitano is offline  
Old
10-19-2003, 07:23 AM
  #12
montreal
Moderator
Go Habs Go
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Greenland
Posts: 26,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLger
1996
2nd round (44th) Mathieu Garon
3rd round (71th) Arron Asham

1997
1st round (11th) Jason Ward

1998
1st round (16th) Éric Chouinard
2nd round (45th) Mike Ribeiro
3rd round (75th) François Beauchemin
6th round (152th) Gordie Dwyer
6th round (162th) Andrei Markov
8th round (216th) Michael Ryder

1999
There's Bashkirov (2nd round), Carkner (2nd round) and Shasby (5th round) that could make it..

2000
1st round (13th) Ron Hainsey
1st round (16th) Marcel Hossa
3rd round (78th) Josef Balej
8th round (243th) Joni Puurula

All in all, it's not that bad! His trades though...

Carkner is not in the organization. Bashkirov is a teammate of Petrov's now in the Swiss league. He wont make it. At least Thinel and Marois are with Hamilton, although I don't think they will make it. Tarasov has the skill but I doubt he ever comes back. But I wouldn't count out Buturlin just yet, although management may not look to bring him over again.

In 2000, Eneqvist has a shot, (109th) and I hope they sign Glenn (145th) this summer.

montreal is online now  
Old
10-19-2003, 07:56 AM
  #13
KILLger
Registered User
 
KILLger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,688
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Carkner is not in the organization. Bashkirov is a teammate of Petrov's now in the Swiss league. He wont make it. At least Thinel and Marois are with Hamilton, although I don't think they will make it. Tarasov has the skill but I doubt he ever comes back. But I wouldn't count out Buturlin just yet, although management may not look to bring him over again.

In 2000, Eneqvist has a shot, (109th) and I hope they sign Glenn (145th) this summer.
Carkner is a SJ prospect, still has a chance to the big show...

KILLger is offline  
Old
10-19-2003, 08:56 AM
  #14
hockey_nut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,796
vCash: 500
He's actually working on his skating techniques this year with Ottawa (OHL). And so far, he's got 19 points in 11 games... leads the team in goals (9) and points.

But anyway... he was more or less passed up due to his size (5'10, 180lbs)... but who cares. He reminds me of a Steve Sullivan type player - and I wouldn't mind having that type of player on our team.

hockey_nut is offline  
Old
10-20-2003, 03:50 AM
  #15
Bob Bastards
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
Ribeiro part.2 ... It would be interesting to see his number if he was in the Q .
Sorry to contradict you, but Corey Locke is in the Ontario Hockey League.
Let wait and see if he can do it again this year and we will see after. If he can improve is skating, perhaps is not useless. Anyway, for a fourth round draft pick, he is worth a try...

Bob Bastards is offline  
Old
10-20-2003, 04:10 AM
  #16
Darz
Registered User
 
Darz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Where's the ANY key?
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,433
vCash: 500
Bottom line. Corey Locke is a project. You don't find complete NHL ready players in the fourth round (you don't find them in the third or second round either). He needs to work on many things before he can become an NHL'er. The habs know this, Locke knows this.
For any of us to project what Locke can do NHL wise at this point is like picking lottery numbers.

Darz is offline  
Old
10-20-2003, 04:33 AM
  #17
habscout
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Lasalle, Ontario, Ca
Country: Canada
Posts: 593
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to habscout Send a message via AIM to habscout Send a message via MSN to habscout Send a message via Yahoo to habscout
Quote:
Originally Posted by cover_all_the_angles
its hard to tell if he was a steal.

I am sure all the other gm's and scouts knew about him and easily could of been selected earlier.

i know that houle stole 2 players, Markov and Ryder thus far. Kudos to Houle for that !
I won't credit Houle for any mid-to-late round picks. Houle
admitted that he had a direct hand in the selection of the
top picks [ie. first to third round players]. However, after
those picks, he turned things over to his scouting staff.
Those men I will give some credit for those picks.
Now, Jason Ward could still develop into a find player and
give Houle some kudos for his selection, even though Marian
Hossa was selected after him [and this fact was something
that the Montreal media have roasted him for, for a long
time now]. Personally, I think the jury is still out for
Ward. I liked what I saw of him late last season, but other
than one nice PPG this season, he has been pretty invisible.

habscout is offline  
Old
10-20-2003, 05:57 AM
  #18
Capitano
Registered User
 
Capitano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
Bottom line. Corey Locke is a project. You don't find complete NHL ready players in the fourth round (you don't find them in the third or second round either). He needs to work on many things before he can become an NHL'er. The habs know this, Locke knows this.
For any of us to project what Locke can do NHL wise at this point is like picking lottery numbers.
Good point Darz. Here's hoping it's one project that turns out for us!

Cap

Capitano is offline  
Old
10-20-2003, 06:18 AM
  #19
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien
 
Team_Spirit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 24,366
vCash: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob ********
Sorry to contradict you, but Corey Locke is in the Ontario Hockey League.
Let wait and see if he can do it again this year and we will see after. If he can improve is skating, perhaps is not useless. Anyway, for a fourth round draft pick, he is worth a try...
yeah i know ... in the Q his number should be increased and that's why i said
Quote:
" It would be interesting to see his number if he was in the Q .''

Team_Spirit is offline  
Old
10-20-2003, 06:25 AM
  #20
Bob Bastards
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
yeah i know ... in the Q his number should be increased and that's why i said
Oups! Sorry, my mistake. Yeah I think it will be interresting to see that...

Bob Bastards is offline  
Old
10-20-2003, 06:29 AM
  #21
Darz
Registered User
 
Darz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Where's the ANY key?
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,433
vCash: 500
Fianl though on Locke. This kid didn't slip under anybodies radar. Every NHL team probablely scouted the kid more than a couple of times. I mean honestly, if we were super high on the kid, we would of taken him in the third (or even second) round.

Darz is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.