HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

rumours--consider the sources

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2003, 11:09 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 182
rumours--consider the sources

http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=1754464

Washington has been trying for awhile to trade Land and his bloated contract---Detroit and Toronto checked out Lang, but when Detroit grabbed Whitney--that killed the LAng thing

Jagr for Liondros--I was just waiting for those rumours to get started

Old
10-16-2003, 11:55 AM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 105
Toronto doesnt have any room for Lang

Old
10-16-2003, 08:01 PM
Calgarydude18

vCash:
Lang

Toronto can make room for Lang.

Old
10-17-2003, 06:37 AM
Wingboy2999

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Joe
I don't see anything in that story that indicates the Leafs were checking out Lang. The Wings were watching a Leaf/Caps game to get a look at Lang.
Yeah, that is what I am picking up from that article.

Old
10-17-2003, 08:01 AM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark
http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=1754464

Washington has been trying for awhile to trade Land and his bloated contract---Detroit and Toronto checked out Lang, but when Detroit grabbed Whitney--that killed the LAng thing

Jagr for Liondros--I was just waiting for those rumours to get started
Unfortunately (for us Ranger fans) if Lindros doesn't start doing anything those rumors will pick up soon.

Old
10-17-2003, 08:08 AM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarydude18
Toronto can make room for Lang.
Its not that they cant, its just why would they??? they have plenty of centres, and wouldnt take on that contract

Old
10-17-2003, 09:04 AM
Sports Junkie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sports Junkie
The thing about DET scouting Lang is old, but now that NYR have scored all of 3 goals in 3 games I fully expect the grumbles of Jagr to NY to surface again soon.

Old
10-17-2003, 06:21 PM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinto80
Its not that they cant, its just why would they??? they have plenty of centres, and wouldnt take on that contract
well...they would have to move some contract for him. But quite frankly having a 1-2 punch down the middle of Sundin-Lang down the middle would be an upgrade. Nothing against the Leafs, but having depth of the likes of Sundin, Lang, Antropuff down the middle could only be a good thing for the season and especially in the off season.

I think that the Leafs need a Dman more than anything in the world right now...I don't understand the obsession with the Leafs media in getting more forwards. Address the REAL issue in the Leafs roster...get rid of the sideshow circus thug idiots and get some real dmen!

Old
10-18-2003, 10:03 PM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Hmmm I think before you post you should take a quick gander at the rosters. We have 4 centers better than what Lang would give us with his contract. If you have not noticed the Leafs like players with an edge to them. Players like Lang would get eaten up by fans in Toronto. I'm not saying hes crap but he certainly does not fit a need right now. What the Leafs need right now is Mogy and McCabe back and then one more winger and 1 more defenseman and this team is set for the year. Jackman after 4 games has been a 3 star selection in the last 3 games and is quarterbacking the powerplay. I'm noticing a more defensive system with the Leafs this year as well. As for the sideshow thugs? Tucker has been an angel so far this year same with Domi. Belak just needs to go really really fast. All in all no desperation from the Leafs and certainly no trading for a Robert Lang type player

Old
10-19-2003, 12:15 AM
King of Stankonia

Send a message via Yahoo to King of Stankonia
There are so many things wrong with the previous message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NataSatan666
Hmmm I think before you post you should take a quick gander at the rosters. We have 4 centers better than what Lang would give us with his contract. If you have not noticed the Leafs like players with an edge to them. Players like Lang would get eaten up by fans in Toronto. I'm not saying hes crap but he certainly does not fit a need right now.
Rob Reichel gets paid $3.25 M. He's kind of like Lang only he really really sucks. He doesn't get eaten up by fans in Toronto. That's not to say that getting Lang is a good idea by this rationale, but it certainly doesn't make your synopsis correct.

Quote:
What the Leafs need right now is Mogy and McCabe back and then one more winger and 1 more defenseman and this team is set for the year.
So what you're saying is that the Leafs need Mogilny and McCabe back, and also a 1st line winger and a no. 1 defenseman and they're set, right?

Quote:
Jackman after 4 games has been a 3 star selection in the last 3 games and is quarterbacking the powerplay.
The words "Jackman" and "quarterbacking the powerplay" should never ever be used in the same sentence unless it were "Ric Jackman was sitting on the bench while someone else was quarterbacking the power play". Ever. Ric Jackman is a tough guy sure, but if he becomes the go-to guy on the PP, I'm burning my jersey.

Quote:
I'm noticing a more defensive system with the Leafs this year as well.
What defensive system? Quinn is employing the same system he's used the past three years; "Uhhhhhh . . . go out there and uhhhhh . . . don't let them score". So far the Leafs got shellaqued by the Habs 4-0 who were minus Saku Koivu and still potted four goals, tied a Caps team 2-2 that managed a measly 14 shots against the Blues (without half of their regular defensive corps), tied a notoriously un-offensive Devils team 2-2 and beat the Habs 1-0 (who were still minus Saku Koivu). The only thing that might lead one to believe that the Leafs are employing a better defensive system is that they just aren't scoring a lot of goals.

Quote:
As for the sideshow thugs? Tucker has been an angel so far this year same with Domi. Belak just needs to go really really fast.
Tucker and Domi haven't really been angels so much as they've just been a non-force. Domi isn't the same player anymore. As for the Belak thing, I don't get it.

Quote:
All in all no desperation from the Leafs and certainly no trading for a Robert Lang type player
There should be desperation from the Leafs, because the first coupole of games were atrocious and should not be tolerated. Still, Toronto is the only city in the world where you can play un-inspired hockey and people will still pay up to $220 to watch you do it.

Old
10-19-2003, 01:07 AM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
Just a few points I have to address. The rest I pretty much agree with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubina_Fan
There are so many things wrong with the previous message.
Rob Reichel gets paid $3.25 M. He's kind of like Lang only he really really sucks. He doesn't get eaten up by fans in Toronto. That's not to say that getting Lang is a good idea by this rationale, but it certainly doesn't make your synopsis correct.
Reichel most certainly does not suck. Overpaid? Yes. Better than Lang? No. He is one of the few leafs who has actually given an effort these past few games. He backchecks. He hussles. He has skill, and one Leaf who has quietly put up good #'s the last few years with less than adequate ice time. Spare me that Don Cherry crap and actually watch a few games. Reichel has been vastly underappreciated by fans, and Leafs fans in particular.

Quote:
The words "Jackman" and "quarterbacking the powerplay" should never ever be used in the same sentence unless it were "Ric Jackman was sitting on the bench while someone else was quarterbacking the power play". Ever. Ric Jackman is a tough guy sure, but if he becomes the go-to guy on the PP, I'm burning my jersey.
You really need to evaluate talent a bit better here. He was picked top 5 overall for a reason - he has skill, and one hell of a shot from the point, which he used today, and used against the Caps quite well. He's clearly been the best dman on the Leafs thus far on the PP, and I for one hopes he continues to get more PP time even when McCabe returns (Im not saying he should be the go-to guy). Accept that the Jackman of last year is not the Jackman we've seen so far this season. Im not sure if you realize that part of the reason why he was drafted that high was because of his offense. He has 11 shots on Goal this season - leading the Leafs. Almost all of the shots he takes from the point get through.

His TSN "Assets" profile:

Quote:
Has better-than-average offensive upside. Possesses a hard shot from the point and solid power-play instincts. Also owns a mean streak.

Old
10-19-2003, 07:31 PM
King of Stankonia

Send a message via Yahoo to King of Stankonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBlue
Reichel most certainly does not suck. Overpaid? Yes. Better than Lang? No. He is one of the few leafs who has actually given an effort these past few games. He backchecks. He hussles. He has skill, and one Leaf who has quietly put up good #'s the last few years with less than adequate ice time. Spare me that Don Cherry crap and actually watch a few games. Reichel has been vastly underappreciated by fans, and Leafs fans in particular.
It's not Don Cherry crap at all. I actually do watch a "few" games. Granted, Reichel is talented yes, but what does he do with this talent? He seems unwilling or unable to apply himself to any sort of determination game, and hasn't shown up when it is most important, i.e. the playoffs; 29 pts in 58 games, and 6 in 25 as a Leaf. The best I can say about Reichel right now is that he's there. You say Reichel is underappreciated, I say he gives no reason for fans to desire him. Different pronunciations of tomato I guess . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBlue
You really need to evaluate talent a bit better here. He was picked top 5 overall for a reason - he has skill, and one hell of a shot from the point, which he used today, and used against the Caps quite well. He's clearly been the best dman on the Leafs thus far on the PP, and I for one hopes he continues to get more PP time even when McCabe returns (Im not saying he should be the go-to guy). Accept that the Jackman of last year is not the Jackman we've seen so far this season. Im not sure if you realize that part of the reason why he was drafted that high was because of his offense. He has 11 shots on Goal this season - leading the Leafs. Almost all of the shots he takes from the point get through.
1991 Scott Lachance 4th overall New York Islanders
1994 Jason Bonsignore 4th overall Edmonton Oilers
1995 Aki Berg 3rd overall Los Angeles Kings

Shall I continue? These three are top five picks, why aren't they the best ever? Because high draft pick doesn't equal NHL success (ask Alexandre Daigle). Jackman's offensive potential just hasn't come over to the NHL. This is not to say that it never will, but it probably won't with Jackman at the age of 25. We've seen Jackman for 4 games this season, and although he's performed above expectations, it would be pure idiocy to expect him to continue this.
I also checked the TSN.ca scouting report and found this:

Career potential No. 5 or 6 defenseman.

Scoundrel! Why would you take so highly the evaluation of one source, only to discount part of the report?

Closed Thread