HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Montreal needs a Powerforward

Closed Thread

Old
10-17-2003, 12:48 PM
Russeltown

vCash: 500
Montreal needs a Powerforward

Well, if Montreal Canadiens want a good 1st line they need a pretty good Powerforward, already established in the NHL.

You guys have any idea of interesting Powerforwards?

What's about :

- Éric Dazé
- Viktor Kozlov
- Todd Bertuzzi
- Jarome Iginla
- Bill Guerin
- Keith Primeau

Any other ideas? Post your proposals!!!

Personally, I think Kozlov is the easiest way to have a nice Powerforward, he could play on Left Wing with Koivu.

Old
10-17-2003, 12:51 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Daze is NOT a powerfoward. He is a powderpuff, who can score goals.

Old
10-17-2003, 12:55 PM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Kozlov is NOT a powerfoward. He is a powderpuff, who can pass.

Old
10-17-2003, 12:57 PM
DLaCouture39

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLger
Kozlov is NOT a powerfoward. He is a powderpuff, who can pass.
Just because ur big dont make u a power forward or a heavy hitter, look at Tom Poti

Old
10-17-2003, 12:59 PM
Kirk Muller

Much easier said than done. The fact of the matter is probably 15 teams are looking for this, and it doesn't come cheap. The teams that have them, aren't going to give them up, and why would they, they are very rare.

Also power forwards are nice, very true, but no mandatory. They are a luxury, but winning championships takes more. Bertuzzi hasn't takent the Canucks that far, getting closer but along why to go. Iginla, Daze, and Kozlov, got to get their teams to playoffs first, which they haven't done much of. I'll take a properly implimented and run system over a power forward, ie Minnesota.

Anyway Montreal needs are simple. They need star forwards not just power forwards, and another star defenseman. Both are hopefully in their system, and if you want a quick fix, Montreal is not the team to be looking at. Gainey has all but stated that they are rebuilding.

There is no real discussion.

Note - many players mentioned are not power forwards, Bertuzzi is basically the only power forward, the rest are players with a power game.

Old
10-17-2003, 01:02 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13
Much easier said than done. The fact of the matter is probably 15 teams are looking for this, and it doesn't come cheap. The teams that have them, aren't going to give them up, and why would they, they are very rare.

Also power forwards are nice, very true, but no mandatory. They are a luxury, but winning championships takes more. Bertuzzi hasn't takent the Canucks that far, getting closer but along why to go. Iginla, Daze, and Kozlov, got to get their teams to playoffs first, which they haven't done much of. I'll take a properly implimented and run system over a power forward, ie Minnesota.

Anyway Montreal needs are simple. They need star forwards not just power forwards, and another star defenseman. Both are hopefully in their system, and if you want a quick fix, Montreal is not the team to be looking at. Gainey has all but stated that they are rebuilding.

There is no real discussion.

Note - many players mentioned are not power forwards, Bertuzzi is basically the only power forward, the rest are players with a power game.
Iginla and Guerin are powerforwards

Old
10-17-2003, 01:12 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOMO_ROCKS
Iginla and Guerin are powerforwards
Not imo, they have power games but not a true powerforward who can beat you by punishing you in the corners, with the fist, have players hanging all over you, impossible to move in front of the net etc. Iginla's game is still a lot about finesse, he goes to the corners and net very very well, but I don't think that constitutes being a power forward. Guerin is close, I think Tkachuk is probably another decent power forward especially a few years ago.

Personally I think the term power forward has lost all meaning these days.

Old
10-17-2003, 01:16 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sYn
Well, if Montreal Canadiens want a good 1st line they need a pretty good Powerforward, already established in the NHL.

What's about :

- Éric Dazé
- Viktor Kozlov
- Todd Bertuzzi
- Jarome Iginla
- Bill Guerin
- Keith Primeau

Personally, I think Kozlov is the easiest way to have a nice Powerforward, he could play on Left Wing with Koivu.

Besides nearly all of them being untouchable--Habs do not have what it takes to get the players out of their city

Old
10-17-2003, 01:16 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
I would said Montreal need a powerforward like... 26 other teams in the nhl...

I think we can open a bit the search form a montreal point of view. What they would need is a winger to play with Koivu who have SIZE and who scores. He doesnt have to be the next Bertuzzi in my opinion. (Of course it doesnt hurt... )

Montreal doesnt have a lot to offer.

But I think the players who might be involved in a trade are not considered total garbage like Ckercawski (i dont even know how to spell his name after 1 year with Montreal which is not a good point for him...), McKay, Traverse, Dykhuis... etc.

Now, players like Sundstrom, Kilger, Dackell, could be available to go along 1defenseman. Of course, I'm not going to said we have what is need to get something great, but at least. Those players are valuables players for teams in search for depth. And they dont cost 10 millions ...

edit: I'm not talking about acquiring the other players mention aboved in no ways. I'm just commenting generaly. (sp?)

Old
10-17-2003, 01:25 PM
Russeltown

That is why I think Kozlov, Dazé and Guerin could be available...

Nowadays, no more is untouchable, exept Mario Lemieux

Wayne Gretzky has been traded, Patrick Roy, Pavel Bure too.. so these players could also move.

Old
10-17-2003, 01:35 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 0
most of the guys on that list make good coin and Montreal(ceept in the wet dreams of their fans) do not have what it takes to get any of those guys

Old
10-17-2003, 02:23 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark
most of the guys on that list make good coin and Montreal(ceept in the wet dreams of their fans) do not have what it takes to get any of those guys
What the hell are you talking about? Any team has what it takes to get Daze. It's just that no team is desperate enough to give what it could take to get this soft injury prone scorer. What, you think if Gainey was offering Markov, Komisarek and Zednik to Smith for Daze he wouldn't run with it? Give me a break.

As for money, Montreal is doing just fine and could actually try to spend more causiously by not giving 2-3M per to any average role player they find like they did with Juneau, Dackell, McKay, etc.

Old
10-17-2003, 02:34 PM
Vincent Vega
GGTK

It would take Koivu+ to get Iggy or Bertuzzi.

Old
10-17-2003, 02:39 PM
fredez

I dont think we are still desesperately in need of a powerforward anymore

With the addition of Michael Ryder, Sheldon Souray, Jason Ward, Steve Begin and Darren Langdon we are not a soft team anymore

And since everyting is going just fine right now I dont see why we should break the team chemistry (we didnt have this in a long time)

Old
10-17-2003, 04:06 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

[QUOTE=sYn]

What's about :

- Éric Dazé
- Viktor Kozlov
- Todd Bertuzzi
- Jarome Iginla
- Bill Guerin
- Keith Primeau

QUOTE]

Well, as others have said, neither Kozlov nor Daze are power forwards. I am not really sure about Guerin, but it's a debatable question.

There are some good young power forwards, but none, I think, are available. In no particular order.

Shane Doan
Brenden Morrow
Ryan Smyth
Taylor Pyatt
Erik Cole
Rick Nash

For the Habs, IMO, the question is: how much for Shane Doan?

Old
10-17-2003, 04:12 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave
For the Habs, IMO, the question is: how much for Shane Doan?
I'd say too much for what he's worth (for the Habs).

Old
10-17-2003, 05:16 PM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredez
With the addition of Michael Ryder, Sheldon Souray, Jason Ward, Steve Begin and Darren Langdon we are not a soft team anymore
Ok...that's fine...you have those guys who you might not file under the "soft" column...but the rest of the team lives in a Mushroom house and Smurfette is turned on my them...

Just out of curiosity...does anyone have rankings or stats for the average height for the NHL teams?

Old
10-17-2003, 05:19 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Leclair is still available.

Old
10-17-2003, 05:25 PM
IslesJack

Send a message via ICQ to IslesJack Send a message via AIM to IslesJack
hmm

I don't think Montreal has any assests that are expendable for a power foward considering the Isles got Niinimaa. Granted, it was probably Raffi Torres for Niinimaa, and Izzy was a throw in, it still shows you how valued power fowards are.

Old
10-17-2003, 05:32 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
Isles could have an all PF line.
Isbister - Rupp - Bertuzzi

That would be one hell of a line to controle.
Brett Lindros

Old
10-17-2003, 06:15 PM
Mizral

First off - 'power forwards' are not needed to win.. but big forwards, or at least those that play with super-grit are.

I would suggest that rather focusing on the already-burdgeoning guys, go take a flyer or three on some lower-teir guys. Josef Vasicek would be a good idea.

Old
10-17-2003, 06:41 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon71
You don't watch Iginla enough, IF AT ALL. Your statements are so far off, it is quite sad really.

Iginla is a power forward, and more. He can and will plow through defenders, he is one of the strongest players on his skates in the league bar-none, and he uses both muscle and finesse whenever he needs either. But he is also a sniper, he has a laser of a shot. He'll also pound on guys like Guerin whenever tempted. :p

If the definition of a power forward is Cam Neely, then Iginla is without a doubt a power forward. But considering he's also a sniper, the term "power sniper" might be more accurate when describing him.

Your explanation of Iginla is exactly why I don't consider him a true power forward. You used other words, but defining him as a power sniper is probably accurate, thus why I said they bring power games. But that is not what I consider a power forward. A guy like Bertuzzi uses brute force most of the time to get the job done, so did a guy like Tkachuk a few years ago. Power forwards bring more of an edge to the game, Iginla will do it, but he doesn't go out of his way like Bertuzzi or Tkachuk or even Joe Thornton. Iginla doesn't do that for the most part. Elements of his game are power, heck Sundin does everything you mention except fight, is he a power forward. Guess what Richard Zednik does everything you mention including fight, but that doesn't make him a power forward either. Ryan Smyth also comes to mind who is more of a sniper with a power game.

It has nothing to do with Iginla or many other players, but the definition of power forward is becoming a joke.

Old
10-17-2003, 06:43 PM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by strummerman
If the Flyers pick up a good portion of the contract, I think Leclair would be a great fit. I think he's faking his injuries cause he cant live without Lindros
First off, I don't even know why I'm replying to you because you are definitely one of the dumbest posters on these boards (and many of your fellow Habs fans feel the same). With that said, LeClair scored 18 goals in 35 games last year, without Lindros.

Old
10-17-2003, 06:45 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13
Your explanation of Iginla is exactly why I don't consider him a true power forward. You used other words, but defining him as a power sniper is probably accurate, thus why I said they bring power games. But that is not what I consider a power forward. A guy like Bertuzzi uses brute force most of the time to get the job done, so did a guy like Tkachuk a few years ago. Power forwards bring more of an edge to the game, Iginla will do it, but he doesn't go out of his way like Bertuzzi or Tkachuk or even Joe Thornton. Iginla doesn't do that for the most part. Elements of his game are power, heck Sundin does everything you mention except fight, is he a power forward. Guess what Richard Zednik does everything you mention including fight, but that doesn't make him a power forward either. Ryan Smyth also comes to mind who is more of a sniper with a power game.

It has nothing to do with Iginla or many other players, but the definition of power forward is becoming a joke.
LOL, I thought anyone who's over 6'2" and has somewhat of an offensive upside is a power forward these days........

Closed Thread