HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TSN Report: Isles Fire Stirling

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2006, 09:47 PM
ILuvLA

vCash: 500
TSN Report: Isles Fire Stirling

Here's the link
http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=150375&hubname=nhl

Old
01-11-2006, 09:51 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
And Mad Mike is still at the helm! Everyone knew this was coming. Next on the block, Oleg Kvasha, Mark Parrish, and Brent Sopel.

Old
01-11-2006, 09:52 PM
kingsfan25

They were talking about it on TSN in between periods of the Montreal/Avs game.

One of the guys there said that he rean into Milbury in the playoffs a few years ago and Mike asked him: :"Can you believe i still have this job?"

Speaking of Montreal, it seems like Huet is really working out for them. Nice to see him do well...he played damn well for the Kings when he was hear.

Old
01-11-2006, 09:54 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25
They were talking about it on TSN in between periods of the Montreal/Avs game.

One of the guys there said that he rean into Milbury in the playoffs a few years ago and Mike asked him: :"Can you believe i still have this job?"

Speaking of Montreal, it seems like Huet is really working out for them. Nice to see him do well...he played damn well for the Kings when he was hear.
When Cristobal was hot, he was damn hot, the Habs should ride him until he cools off.

Old
01-11-2006, 09:58 PM
jfont

Awards:
the owner of the isles must be an idiot. either that or milbury has some compromising pix of him.

01-11-2006, 10:02 PM
ILuvLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
When Cristobal was hot, he was damn hot, the Habs should ride him until he cools off.
Totally agree. When Huet's hot, he's hot. Some teenagers were sitting behind me at a game back in 2004 and were trying to figure out his first name. One actually said his name was Crystal Ball, like a crystal ball. I nearly choked on my beer. I've referred to Huet as Crystal Ball ever since.

Old
01-11-2006, 10:04 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvLA
Totally agree. When Huet's hot, he's hot. Some teenagers were sitting behind me at a game back in 2004 and were trying to figure out his first name. One actually said his name was Crystal Ball, like a crystal ball. I nearly choked on my beer. I've referred to Huet as Crystal Ball ever since.
What about that last name?

I heard a radio guy who was running down the day's scores pronounce it as Hi-ot or something like that.

As I've posted in another thread, once people find out it's not "Hewitt" they panick and just throw out a guess...

Pierre Mcguire and Gord Miller (both of whom have mastered the pronunication of his name) just informed us that he's stopped 72 of his last 73 shots.

Old
01-11-2006, 11:19 PM
ILuvLA

What I can't figure out is how Milbury keeps holding on to his job....

Old
01-11-2006, 11:22 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvLA
What I can't figure out is how Milbury keeps holding on to his job....
Apparently neither can Milbury

Old
01-11-2006, 11:25 PM
ILuvLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25
Apparently neither can Milbury

Old
01-12-2006, 12:25 AM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
despite a good effort, Ian Lapperriere's FOURTEENTH (yes, 14th) goal of the season beats HUET and the Canadiens...

Old
01-12-2006, 12:29 AM
ILuvLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion
despite a good effort, Ian Lapperriere's FOURTEENTH (yes, 14th) goal of the season beats HUET and the Canadiens...
No kidding - what's up with Lappy??? Damn, it's like he's reborn or something. Kudos to to him, the guy plays all out, all the time. One of my all time favorites. It just pains me to see him in an Av's jersey...

Old
01-12-2006, 12:52 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I think most of us knew that Lappy was capable of doing this, but with the Avs, Joel Quenneville has put him in a position where he could (and should) be productive. He has filled in for Konowalchuk's spot on the roster. Lappy has been rewarded with some ice time on the 2nd line as well, playing with Tanguay and Brett McLean tonight.

We saw glimpses of this type of production from Lappy when he was playing with Eric Belanger. I think they had a great thing going with the French-Canadian line they put together in the 2001 playoffs with Luc, Belanger and Lappy. But once the Kings acquired Avery, and with Kanko in the system, I think the Kings found it difficult to match and retain the older Laperriere at nearly $1M per year.

Old
01-12-2006, 12:58 AM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
I think most of us knew that Lappy was capable of doing this, but with the Avs, Joel Quenneville has put him in a position where he could (and should) be productive. He has filled in for Konowalchuk's spot on the roster. Lappy has been rewarded with some ice time on the 2nd line as well, playing with Tanguay and Brett McLean tonight.

We saw glimpses of this type of production from Lappy when he was playing with Eric Belanger. I think they had a great thing going with the French-Canadian line they put together in the 2001 playoffs with Luc, Belanger and Lappy. But once the Kings acquired Avery, and with Kanko in the system, I think the Kings found it difficult to match and retain the older Laperriere at nearly $1M per year.
Agree. He's always had good hands...when he did finish a play, he did so with a sense of flair. He also had pretty respectable junior numbers.

Old
01-12-2006, 01:07 AM
Osprey

Lapperiere is benefitting from the new rules, same as Belanger and Avery have. It would've been nice to have Lapperiere and Belanger on the same line with these rules. In hindsight, DT probably dropped the ball by letting him go, but I can't blame him, since no one thought that guys like him (and Belanger) would put up points in the new NHL as they have.

Old
01-12-2006, 03:23 AM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
Lapperiere is benefitting from the new rules, same as Belanger and Avery have. It would've been nice to have Lapperiere and Belanger on the same line with these rules. In hindsight, DT probably dropped the ball by letting him go, but I can't blame him, since no one thought that guys like him (and Belanger) would put up points in the new NHL as they have.
According to what I heard Taylor actually offered Ian more then what Colorado offered but he felt like he had a better chance to win in Colorado so he went there.

Old
01-12-2006, 03:30 AM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belanger25
According to what I heard Taylor actually offered Ian more then what Colorado offered but he felt like he had a better chance to win in Colorado so he went there.
Ah, ok. Thanks for that clarifying bit of info.

Old
01-12-2006, 08:37 AM
King Blazer

Jim Kelly is also questioning how the hell Milbury has lasted so long in his The Teflon GM article...

from the article:

Consider: In his 10 years at the helm, Milbury has won nothing. His teams struggle to even make the playoffs and on the odd occasions when they do, they have never progressed beyond the first round.

Milbury also traded away now star defensemen Zdeno Chara, Wade Redden, Bryan Berard, Darius Kasparaitis, and Bryan McCabe. He was at the helm when the club gave up on top offensive stars such as Olli Jokinen, Todd Bertuzzi, Zigmund Palffy and Raffi Torres and inspirational (and former captain and two-time Selke Trophy winner) Michael Peca. Lest we forget, it was Milbury who traded away goalie Roberto Luongo and attempted to replace him with Rick DiPietro. DePietro may some day justify his being drafted No. 1 overall after just one year of collegiate play, but it's not likely Islander fans will ever forget that Milbury did that while the Islanders had Luongo and could have had offensive star Dany Heatley who went second behind DePietro. Milbury also traded away the pick that Ottawa used to draft Jason Spezza.

Little wonder that when the Islanders annually land with a thud the blame is always at Millbury's feet but the boot always goes to someone else.

And that's the inherent problem in all of this. Shaw is Milbury's ninth head coach in 10 years (if you also count Milbury's two stints behind the Islanders bench). The failures are endless and so is the blame, but it never sticks to the general manager, just to a series of head coaches some of whom deserved a much better fate.

kingsjohn, is that you???

link: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/colum...12_003444_4796

Also, sportsnet is reporting strong RUMORS that Milbury will step down as GM BUT remain President of the Islanders at the 11:00 press conference...

It appears Mike Milbury's tumultuous run as the GM on Long Island is coming to an end. On the same day the team is scheduled to announce the firing of head coach Steve Stirling, sources are telling Sportsnet Milbury will usurp the attention by announcing he is going to relinquish his duties as team architect, but will remain with the club as president.
Nobody believed the Stirling firing would happen, and it did, so the rumours of Milbury's demise appear to be legit. The team has called a 11 AM/ET press conference.

link: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/hearsay.jsp

Last edited by King Blazer: 01-12-2006 at 08:46 AM.
Old
01-12-2006, 11:07 AM
King Blazer

Stirling fired, Milbury to step down...

Canadian Press

1/12/2006 11:05:19 AM

UNIONDALE, N.Y. (AP-CP) - Mad Mike's run will finally come to an end with the New York Islanders.

Owner Charles Wang announced at a new conference that GM Mike Milbury would step down once a replacement for him was found, which could be in a few weeks but also take until the summer.

Milbury would then become senior vice-president of Charles Wang Properties.

link: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=150473&hubname=nhl

Old
01-12-2006, 11:09 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer

UNIONDALE, N.Y. (AP-CP) - Mad Mike's run will finally come to an end with the New York Islanders.
Anyone know of the top of their head when Milbury started with the Isles?

I can't remember the Isles without him(seriously)

Old
01-12-2006, 11:20 AM
roenick66

I don't know the answer to your question kj, but what I heard on TSN last night really got me.

In the Islanders history they have had 11 coaches. As KB pointed out Milbury has replaced 9 of them. This is utterly amazing to me and speaks volume's of Mad Mikes incompetence.

Good riddance MM. The Islander fans deserve better. Much better.

Old
01-12-2006, 11:45 AM
Kick

Shaw named Islanders' interim coach

Former AHL defenseman and head coach Brad Shaw was today named interim head coach of the NHL's New York Islanders.

LINK

Old
01-12-2006, 11:55 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
Anyone know of the top of their head when Milbury started with the Isles?

I can't remember the Isles without him(seriously)
Milbury was named GM on Dec. 12, 1995.

Old
01-12-2006, 12:03 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
Milbury was named GM on Dec. 12, 1995.
He was their coach before that too... wasn't he?

Old
01-12-2006, 12:12 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
He was their coach before that too... wasn't he?
Yep, that same year, on July 5th. Here is his bio on the Isles site: http://www.newyorkislanders.com/team/coach.asp?id=1

Closed Thread