HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Garon to have 1st start of season this MONDAY

Closed Thread

Old
10-19-2003, 09:45 AM
BigM1ke

vCash: 500
Garon to have 1st start of season this MONDAY

In net vs Detroit

What do you think?? Personally I would have put Theo in net vs Detroit and Garon vs the Islanders.. Theo has just allowed 3 goals in 4 games... but well, Garon has to see some action....

Old
10-19-2003, 09:51 AM
RichardZednik#20

It's gonna be a big test for him and him sure he will do well. Just hope the team show up VS wings. With Hatcher out, we need to take advantage of it, even if him a big Wings fans .

Old
10-19-2003, 10:07 AM
danboulie

Send a message via MSN to danboulie
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardZednik#20
It's gonna be a big test for him and him sure he will do well. Just hope the team show up VS wings. With Hatcher out, we need to take advantage of it, even if him a big Wings fans .
Here's the second that hope Garon does well.
I'm not sure whether theo had a bad game or not, becaues I was in town and didn't have the opportunity o see the game, but 1-0, doens't sound like all that bad.
I supposer if you're going to use your backup, why not test him early to prove he'll be ready to step in for a big game.

Why did Hatcher have to get hurt? I had him in my pool!

Old
10-19-2003, 10:39 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big M1ke
What do you think??
1.99 .940, thats what I'm thinking.

Garon needs playing time, team needs a shake after loss, Julien needs to know he has reliable backup and maybe Jose needs pushing too with only one shutout in 5 games.

Old
10-19-2003, 10:54 AM
Y2CARE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big M1ke
In net vs Detroit

What do you think?? Personally I would have put Theo in net vs Detroit and Garon vs the Islanders.. Theo has just allowed 3 goals in 4 games... but well, Garon has to see some action....
It's a good decision. The game against Detroit it's less important than the game again the Isles. We maybe battle the Isles for a spot in the playoff, we have to win this one. Julien take the good decision.

Old
10-19-2003, 11:23 AM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Well, maybe they will start to use the backup at the right time this year!

They were talking about that 2 years ago but that never happen.

Theo: Teams in a battle with the habs for a spot in playoffs.
Teams Montreal is supposed to beat.

Garon: Will get a start every few times against:
Powerhouses (of course when there's many games in a short time like this week)

What I mean is you show your best goaltender in all games you must wins and in all games you dont want the other team to get 2 points on you in the playoff race. You give to backup the games you are not supposed to win in a big week (like this week: you want a win against Washington, Pittsburgh and you dont want to give 2 points to Toronto= theo, you are not supposed to win against Detroit = Garon but you want to win against Isles = Theo with a 1 game break).

With the shorter calendar since last year, Garon should get around 20 starts in this way of thinking which is ok.

Old
10-19-2003, 11:25 AM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

It`ll be nice to have Garon starting, I`m looking forward to seeing what he can do this year.

Old
10-19-2003, 11:25 AM
Kirk Muller

The reason I believe you got to go with Theodore is you are playing one of the best teams in the league. This game is a measuring stick that you can use from now until latter in the season. How does this team respond from opening night playing a contender to five games down the road when they play another contender. Its about where your teams stands, and will show which guys show up and which guys don't. I am a strong believer that when you play your backup versus a team like Detroit, you are going in with a loser's mentality. The thing is, with Theodore they are still in a win/win mode. You win, you get big confidence, you lose, you were supposed to anyhow and you get to find out how your team faces the leagues elite. Why don't we just dress Higgins, Komisarek, Hainsey, Garon, give a rest to Markov, and Rivet, and Theodore?

Of course I hope Garon does well, and I know he needs work, but I just don't like the message it sends. Or maybe I am just too pessimistic, I have been told that before. :p

Old
10-19-2003, 11:41 AM
Y2CARE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13
The reason I believe you got to go with Theodore is you are playing one of the best teams in the league. This game is a measuring stick that you can use from now until latter in the season. How does this team respond from opening night playing a contender to five games down the road when they play another contender. Its about where your teams stands, and will show which guys show up and which guys don't. I am a strong believer that when you play your backup versus a team like Detroit, you are going in with a loser's mentality. The thing is, with Theodore they are still in a win/win mode. You win, you get big confidence, you lose, you were supposed to anyhow and you get to find out how your team faces the leagues elite. Why don't we just dress Higgins, Komisarek, Hainsey, Garon, give a rest to Markov, and Rivet, and Theodore?

Of course I hope Garon does well, and I know he needs work, but I just don't like the message it sends. Or maybe I am just too pessimistic, I have been told that before. :p
It's not going with a loser mentality. Garon have to play at least 20 games this year. Detroit its a better team and we'll not be in a race against the Wings. Garon it's a good backup and we have chance to win even with im in goal. It's a good thing to rest Theo against team we're not in a fight for a playoff spot.

Old
10-19-2003, 11:54 AM
Corey

Does this line of reasoning mean that Garon is expected to lose almost all of the games he's put into? That he's a sacrificial lamb? That would do wonders for his morale, I'm sure (NOT). IMO Garon should play some games against any type of opponent.

Old
10-19-2003, 11:59 AM
komisakick ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anksun
Well, maybe they will start to use the backup at the right time this year!

They were talking about that 2 years ago but that never happen.

Theo: Teams in a battle with the habs for a spot in playoffs.
Teams Montreal is supposed to beat.

Garon: Will get a start every few times against:
Powerhouses (of course when there's many games in a short time like this week)

What I mean is you show your best goaltender in all games you must wins and in all games you dont want the other team to get 2 points on you in the playoff race. You give to backup the games you are not supposed to win in a big week (like this week: you want a win against Washington, Pittsburgh and you dont want to give 2 points to Toronto= theo, you are not supposed to win against Detroit = Garon but you want to win against Isles = Theo with a 1 game break).

With the shorter calendar since last year, Garon should get around 20 starts in this way of thinking which is ok.
La discussion est close

Old
10-19-2003, 12:59 PM
Habber

Terrible decision. Theo is playing awesome.

And what's this about the Detroit game being less important than the Isles game? That's a load of crap. I don't care who we're playing, 2 pts is 2 pts and i want to see a lineup that will give us a best chance of winning every night. The way you guys are talking, every time we come up against a good team we should just fold up our tent and save up for the next game. That's bulls**t.

Theo is hot right now and i don't understand why CJ doesn't ride with him. He's only played 5 games so far, he should have lots of energy. Go with Theo until there's back to back games and we have to sit him.

Old
10-19-2003, 01:01 PM
deandebean

Quote:

This game is not a measuring stick. Detroit is about 10 feet in front of us. Would take a freaking measuring stick to get us to their level of play.

Old
10-19-2003, 02:20 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean
This game is not a measuring stick. Detroit is about 10 feet in front of us. Would take a freaking measuring stick to get us to their level of play.
Plain and simple, if you were a coach, wouldn't you want to see your best lineup, and see how it can compete against the strongest of teams? It is a long season. Anyone else want to see if this team is really any better than when they played Ottawa in the first game, or was it more that Washington, Toronto, or Pittsburgh just played that bad? I fully expect them to probably lose, but these are the types of games that are useful to see where your team stands, can they compete, who shows up, a rookie learning experience watching a real team etc..

Old
10-19-2003, 02:35 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber
The way you guys are talking, every time we come up against a good team we should just fold up our tent and save up for the next game. That's bulls**t.
Thats exactly how I am reading into it, and that is a loser mentality. I want to see our best, and what they can do against the best. If they lose 5-1 so be it, but I don't want the players especially this team *cough - Audette, Perreault, Ribeiro, Hossa, Zednik, Brisebois cough* taking nights off mentally.

Old
10-19-2003, 02:53 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Thats exactly how I am reading into it, and that is a loser mentality. I want to see our best, and what they can do against the best. If they lose 5-1 so be it, but I don't want the players especially this team *cough - Audette, Perreault, Ribeiro, Hossa, Zednik, Brisebois cough* taking nights off mentally.

Then, let's play Theo 82 games. We then will have our best lineup every freaking game.

Old
10-19-2003, 06:06 PM
nilan1

did it ever acure to you that Garon is playing because he needs to you cannot have your backup goalie sit forever he needs to play. The other reason is Detroit is from the west so we will not be competing with them for a playoff spot we need Theo to beat the eastern teams. Garon is a good goalie I beleive he is better then Theo will ever be and he needs to play.

Old
10-19-2003, 06:28 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean
Then, let's play Theo 82 games. We then will have our best lineup every freaking game.
You are missing the point completely. The problem is not giving players a rest, but against which teams. In this case Detroit, who is a contender. These are games you want your best players to show up against, if they don't, there is a MAJOR problem with this team, and that includes Theodore who has looked good in the first 5 games, but nothing spectacular.

Heres another idea, Garon should start every game versus the western conference because as you know they aren't in a race for a playoff spot with us, and he should play all games against Ottawa, Philly, New Jersey, heck Tampa Bay because they are all better teams. Hey guess what maybe we shouldn't start Markov, Rivet, Zednik, Bulis, Koivu for all these games as well, they should save up for teams we will be competing for a playoff spot with.

If your best players are physically able to play, they should be in the starting especially if your playing against a Stanley Cup contender, this simply shows a loser mentality. This is NOT a team that can afford to take mental games off, and that is what could very well happen.

Hopefully this team does step up or else they will be humiliated on home ice.

Old
10-19-2003, 06:34 PM
Y2CARE

Quote:
Terrible decision. Theo is playing awesome.

And what's this about the Detroit game being less important than the Isles game? That's a load of crap. I don't care who we're playing, 2 pts is 2 pts and i want to see a lineup that will give us a best chance of winning every night. The way you guys are talking, every time we come up against a good team we should just fold up our tent and save up for the next game. That's bulls**t.

Theo is hot right now and i don't understand why CJ doesn't ride with him. He's only played 5 games so far, he should have lots of energy. Go with Theo until there's back to back games and we have to sit him.
And if Theo's hot all the season, he'll play 82 games???

Old
10-19-2003, 06:39 PM
Guy!

Perhaps the point of resting Theo and playing Garon lies not in what Theo has or has not done, not what Garon has or has not done and not in who we are playing.

Perhaps it's a reflection of how the rest of the team played Saturday night.

Has a level of comfort been reached by the players because of the standard of goaltending Theo has been providing? Do they feel they don't have to give their 100% because they know mistakes will be covered by the last line of defence?

I put it to you that the reason Garon is going in net is to make sure the team is awake. Everybody plays a tighter game when you have someone you trust less in the net. This is a message to the skaters, not the goalies: get back to the system and no one is allowed a game off. Otherwise, you're going to get embarrassed at home in the Bell Centre.

Seems to me that this is a brilliant coaching decision designed to get everyone back on the same page. This is the kind of decision that coaches use during the year to subtly push the squad all together in the direction you want them to go. Best of all, it's so subtle, that the players might not even realize it - except that they know they have to work harder to help out Garon.

While I appreciate the responses people give and I understand the motivations behind them, sometimes it's better not to look at a decision as a hockey one, but more as a psychological one.

This is a subtle mind game, and it's a brilliant coaching decision.

A concerned fan.

Old
10-19-2003, 07:13 PM
Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2CARE
And if Theo's hot all the season, he'll play 82 games???
Read the last sentence of my post.

Old
10-19-2003, 07:39 PM
Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy!

While I appreciate the responses people give and I understand the motivations behind them, sometimes it's better not to look at a decision as a hockey one, but more as a psychological one.
But what does this do for Theo's psychological well-being?

He's been hot and starting to look like the Theo of two years ago. He's been great all week and is coming off a strong game, but now has to sit. What kind of message does that send to him? I gaurantee if you asked him he'd say he wants to play tomorrow so he can stay in his groove.

I think what you're saying is good against weaker teams. Everyone buckles down and protects the net and we can get away with a win with Garon in net. But against a strong team like Detroit, I don't think it matters how well we play the system, they are still going to get some strong scoring chances and I'd rather have Theo there to stop them.

Also, when looking at things from a psychological point of view think of Detroit. They get an extra confidence boost because they get to play aginast the backup. They'll all be thinking the same thing some of us are, that we've given up hope for winning the game. If they get a couple of early goals this could be ugly.

Old
10-19-2003, 08:09 PM
F. Duchemin

Send a message via MSN to F. Duchemin
i think jose dont need another lost ( even if he did well vs toronto ) so julien give a hard team to garon ( 1rst goaltender often say they face better team than backup when people compare their stats ..well they did in my team ) and this is really good. Im confident in Garon and the challenge is great for him.

Old
10-19-2003, 08:22 PM
HABitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Duchemin
i think jose dont need another lost ( even if he did well vs toronto ) so julien give a hard team to garon ( 1rst goaltender often say they face better team than backup when people compare their stats ..well they did in my team ) and this is really good. Im confident in Garon and the challenge is great for him.
Usually Garon performs very well in his first game. Even against big teams like Cup contenders, I am not too worry with Garon in the nets. But I worry about the rest of the team, especially the forwards who looked desorganized last game. Let's give credit to the Laffs, they were playing a solid defensive-aware team game.

Old
10-19-2003, 08:40 PM
Guy!

Quote:
But what does this do for Theo's psychological well-being?

He's been hot and starting to look like the Theo of two years ago. He's been great all week and is coming off a strong game, but now has to sit. What kind of message does that send to him? I gaurantee if you asked him he'd say he wants to play tomorrow so he can stay in his groove.

I think what you're saying is good against weaker teams. Everyone buckles down and protects the net and we can get away with a win with Garon in net. But against a strong team like Detroit, I don't think it matters how well we play the system, they are still going to get some strong scoring chances and I'd rather have Theo there to stop them.

Also, when looking at things from a psychological point of view think of Detroit. They get an extra confidence boost because they get to play aginast the backup. They'll all be thinking the same thing some of us are, that we've given up hope for winning the game. If they get a couple of early goals this could be ugly.
Theo will tow the typical goalie line and say he wants to be in there, and I'm sure he does. But he was also told that he's going to get between 20 and 30 games rest. Plus after last game, he knows the team needs a bit of a shakeup.

And I think it sends a completely opposite message if you put Garon in for the weak teams. First of all, you erode the confidence of the backup saying that he's only worthy of the little games, secondly playing against the tougher teams brings the *team* together much better.

And finally, Detroit won't get a boost seeing Garon in net, they'll come into the game somewhat more overconfident that they were already going to be.

Everyone is so worried about Theo, but ya know, I doubt he's going to give this a second thought. Of course he wants to play, he's the starter, the number one, and a multi-trophy winner who's out to prove himself this year, however this won't hurt his confidence level, it's just one game! And besides, Theo isn't the team. He doesn't need the mental adjustment, it's the team that does. You can't make all your changes around one person, it's a *team* game. Making changes (or not) for the benefit of an individual goes against everything that Montreal is working towards.

A concerned fan.

Closed Thread