HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Ovechkin pulls ahead by 3 points

Closed Thread

Old
01-12-2006, 02:26 PM
Jacob

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwOOsh
Dive more?
Do you honestly think diving is a problem with Crosby or are you just being led to believe that by others?

Old
01-12-2006, 02:45 PM
Chinaski*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan
Got to not only agree with my fellow posters that this is beyond ridiculous but make it pretty clear. Imagine a 17 year old high school kid going straight to the NFL. Can not happen, but just imagine what he would be able to do out there. Now look at the wunderkids in the NBA who went straight to the NBA from high school. How often does that pan out? I can think of three times, out of the 40 or 50 times the chance has been taken, and even with those it took them some time to really dominate in a way Crosby has this year in hockey. The difference between 18 and 20 in sports is huge. What Crosby is doing is huge. Does that automatically equal Crosby being 'world's better' than Ovechkin when he hits 20? Of course not, maybe he is one of these freaks of nature that peaks at 17/18. Hell, Ovechkin may be a 'late bloomer' despite his amazing start and has quite a bit of ceiling left to reach. But right now I do not see a huge edge for either in picking between them, so if I were a betting man Crosby may be a better bet merely because of that age difference. Ovechkin should be dominating an 18 year old right now at 20 and is not. It is not at all unreasonable to say that though reasonable people could differ on the issue.
He is dominating him. If not pointwise, gamewise his definately is much better. Watch Capitals games and you'll see the truth.

Old
01-12-2006, 02:48 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinaski
He is dominating him. If not pointwise, gamewise his definately is much better. Watch Capitals games and you'll see the truth.
'Dominating' huh? OK, I certainly stand corrected. Thank you for making me see the error of my ways.

Old
01-12-2006, 02:49 PM
Chinaski*

Quote:
'Dominating' huh? OK, I certainly stand corrected. Thank you for making me see the error of my ways.
You are welcome.

Old
01-12-2006, 03:16 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Ovechkin should be dominating an 18 year old right now at 20 and is not. It is not at all unreasonable to say that though reasonable people could differ on the issue.
How does one dominate another, who is not even on the same team? I dont understand what you are trying to say here...but to me, it indeed sounds unreasonable.

Its fair to say that both of these players are the best players on their respective teams right now......Ovechkin certainly is dominating his team....he has more points than any two players combined, its just crazy what he is doing pretty much single-handily......just like it will be scary to see SC in a few years, when AO gets some talent around him, he will be out of this world. I saw a Capital management quite the other day that said something along the lines of, "he is good for a point a game now, with talented linemates he would get 3"

Old
01-12-2006, 03:16 PM
KariyaIsGod*

Quote:
Watch the Penguins games and you'll see the truth...

Old
01-12-2006, 03:17 PM
Sammy*

Quote:
Your wrong.
Watch some Pens games & you'll see the truth.

Old
01-12-2006, 03:19 PM
Chinaski*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
Your wrong.
Watch some Pens games & you'll see the truth.
I am right.I saw a lot of pens games. This is my opinion and it won't change until I see otherwise.

Old
01-12-2006, 03:25 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra
How does one dominate another, who is not even on the same team? I dont understand what you are trying to say here...but to me, it indeed sounds unreasonable.

Its fair to say that both of these players are the best players on their respective teams right now......Ovechkin certainly is dominating his team....he has more points than any two players combined, its just crazy what he is doing pretty much single-handily......just like it will be scary to see SC in a few years, when AO gets some talent around him, he will be out of this world. I saw a Capital management quite the other day that said something along the lines of, "he is good for a point a game now, with talented linemates he would get 3"
I would not expect an 18 year old player to be doing anything of note to be honest, let alone pretty much keeping up with one of the more dominant 20 year olds to come out in years. More a comment on what all but a very rare number ever should be able to do at 17/18. Yes, I would have expected Ovechkin to be world's better than Crosby this year and it has not happened. No swipe at Ovechkin, I actually did not expect him to be as good as he has turned out this year as well. He is amazing. But what Crosby is doing at that age is another note worthy facet that gets dismissed far too much here. I am saying no more, no less.

Old
01-12-2006, 03:28 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
I would not expect an 18 year old player to be doing anything of note to be honest, let alone pretty much keeping up with one of the more dominant 20 year olds to come out in years. More a comment on what all but a very rare number ever should be able to do at 17/18. Yes, I would have expected Ovechkin to be world's better than Crosby this year and it has not happened. No swipe at Ovechkin, I actually did not expect him to be as good as he has turned out this year as well. He is amazing. But what Crosby is doing at that age is another note worthy facet that gets dismissed far too much here. I am saying no more, no less.
Both guys are doing bettter than I expected, point-wise, although I'd have to say that's partly due to the increase in scoring in general. I think if I took my predictions for both of them and pro-rated them to this year's scoring totals they would only come in about 10 points below their projected paces.

Old
01-12-2006, 03:48 PM
syc

Quote:
I am right.I saw a lot of pens games. This is my opinion and it won't change until I see otherwise.
You get that many Pens games on TV in Russia? Is center ice in russia?

Old
01-12-2006, 04:06 PM
Pens1566

Quote:
Originally Posted by syc
The "Army" recently launched 2 comm sats, KovyIsGod1 and PointOfDoom. They use these to watch center ice.

Old
01-12-2006, 04:10 PM
Chinaski*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens1566
The "Army" recently launched 2 comm sats, KovyIsGod1 and PointOfDoom. They use these to watch center ice.
Wow. How did you know that? It was supposed to be a secret.

Old
01-12-2006, 04:10 PM
Chinaski*

Quote:
Originally Posted by syc
I don't know about the whole country, but I do have it.

Old
01-12-2006, 04:13 PM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils

to be honest, i didnt expect either of them to be in the top 20, but they both are.
Ovechkin has been the best rookie this year, by a hair. However, we have only played half of a season, so the calder is not set in stone just yet.
I predict both players to break 90 points and 40 goals, and both of their clubs will finish bottom in the east.
Next year, should be interesting, as of right now they are competing for the calder, but next year they will be competing for the art ross, hart, and rocket richard.

Old
01-12-2006, 05:23 PM
shawn_kemp*

Quote:
Originally Posted by syc
there's a place on the web called Center Ice forums, and you can download basically half of NHL games. Some teams are more popular than others, and the Pens are probably number 1. You cam get any of their games.

Old
01-12-2006, 05:30 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens1566
This guy seems to know more about us than we do about ourselves. Although it's kind of cool to have fans. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Old
01-12-2006, 06:43 PM
KariyaIsGod*

Quote:
And plenty of other people have an opinion that is the opposite of yours...

Old
01-12-2006, 07:08 PM
Chinaski*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoses
And plenty of other people have an opinion that is the opposite of yours...
So what? Did I speak my mind on behalf of those? I speak what I persoanlly think. And you take it too close to your heart. I am entitled to my opinion. I have a right to have my opinion expressed. Hopefully you understand that. If not I don't care really. Good night and good luck.

Old
01-12-2006, 10:52 PM
Sammy*

Quote:
Watch a little closer.
You may actually learn something, god forbid.

Old
01-12-2006, 11:05 PM
Chinaski*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
Watch a little closer.
You may actually learn something, god forbid.
Why should I watch closer? Just because you are so smart you think you know more than I do? Get lost.

Old
01-12-2006, 11:08 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Why should I watch closer? Just because you are so smart you think you know more than I do? Get lost.

I would love to say that this thread has really degenerated to kindergarten name calling the past 4 or 5 posts, but that would be giving the rest of this thread far too much credit. 'Degenerated' implies that you were somewhere worthwhile to begin with.

Old
01-13-2006, 09:28 AM
Mothra

Quote:

Sorry...but you are not being honest at all. You cant tell me that you didnt expect SC to do "anything of note". Also...what is this 17/18 crap? he is 18, not 17.....and although its not common for 18 year olds to play in the NHL...(Bergeron was an effective player at pretty much the exact same age) 18 year old players can be regulars in the NHL. Seeing one dominate games like SC does is something very very rare, I understand this....but you are making it sound like no other 18 year olds become effective players at that age...it does happen

Old
01-13-2006, 11:15 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra
Sorry...but you are not being honest at all. You cant tell me that you didnt expect SC to do "anything of note". Also...what is this 17/18 crap? he is 18, not 17.....and although its not common for 18 year olds to play in the NHL...(Bergeron was an effective player at pretty much the exact same age) 18 year old players can be regulars in the NHL. Seeing one dominate games like SC does is something very very rare, I understand this....but you are making it sound like no other 18 year olds become effective players at that age...it does happen

No, I did not expect him to be doing what he is doing and that is honest. I will say it again. I can think of maybe 3 off the top of my head in my living memory who came in at his age and did similar to what he is doing. I can think of dozens if not hundreds of top five picks who did not. And as I said before this truism transcends almost all sports, as per the examples I gave. Are you really saying that you think that I expected him, not hoped but exected, him to be accomplishing that? And it does not get mentioned enough how rare it is for a kid his age to be doing what he is doing. Disagree if you choose, but I stand by what I said.

Old
01-13-2006, 11:29 AM
Mothra

Quote:

No, I did not expect him to be doing what he is doing and that is honest.......Disagree if you choose, but I stand by what I said.

That is not what you just said though...I have no doubt that you didnt expect him to be this good this soon.....but This is what you said

"I would not expect an 18 year old player to be doing anything of note to be honest"

To me, "anything of note" is showing signs of what he is capable of here and there, having a few really good games now and then....getting a regular shift...that sort of thing. Are you saying you didnt expect at least that from him?

What he is doing now is dominating.....which is so far beyond "anything of note"....I just dont believe you didnt expect at least that

Closed Thread