HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

ozolinsh/jovonovski

Closed Thread

Old
10-19-2003, 11:09 AM
straosis

vCash:
ozolinsh/jovonovski

compare these 2 defensemen and rate each out of 100.

Old
10-19-2003, 11:11 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

vCash: 500
If Lidstrom is a 99 (no one is perfect), I'd rate Jovo at an 85 and Ozolinsh at an 82.

Old
10-19-2003, 11:14 AM
straosis

vCash:
i would give jovo a 88 and ozolinsh a 72. i think ozolinsh is very good offensivly but he costs his team more goals than he creats. For him to be effective he has to only play the power play.when there is a really fast foward coming in on him he looks like he doesnt know how to skate backward

Old
10-19-2003, 11:17 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by straosis
i would give jovo a 88 and ozolinsh a 72. i think ozolinsh is very good offensivly but he costs his team more goals than he creats. For him to be effective he has to only play the power play.when there is a really fast foward coming in on him he looks like he doesnt know how to skate backward
That's the exact reason why I have Jovo at an 85, both are pretty much a liability in their own end. Improving? yes... but a long way to go and you can bet their offense will suffer.

Old
10-19-2003, 11:44 AM
Yayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by straosis
I wouldn't rate Ozolinsh that low. Sure he is known to be horrible defensively but he has come a long way since being traded from the Avs. I would rate him a high-70s or low-80s player.

Old
10-19-2003, 11:45 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Jovanovski can hit, Ozolinsh can't for all I know

on a defenseman scale, jovanovski at 87, Ozolinsh at 80

Old
10-19-2003, 12:16 PM
Reign Nateo

Brent Sopel is a liability in the back end, Jovanovski is not, he just has a habit of giving the puck away a few times a game.

Jovanovski 86
Ozolinsh 80

Old
10-19-2003, 12:18 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Ozolinsh is a superb skater, highly offensively skilled, and improved defensively. He should be a solid NHL backliner for a good many years still.

That said, 30 out of 30 NHL GMs would select Jovo before him.

Jovo is in the 90 percentile (top); Ozolinsh in the 80s. (Never was too strong in math. :p )

Old
10-19-2003, 12:19 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Ozolinsh is a superb skater, highly offensively skilled, and improved defensively. He should be a solid NHL backliner for a good many years still.

That said, 30 out of 30 NHL GMs would select Jovo before him.
Jovo is in the 90 percentile (top); Ozolinsh in the 80s. (Never was too strong in math. :p )

Old
10-19-2003, 01:31 PM
LaVal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
That's the exact reason why I have Jovo at an 85, both are pretty much a liability in their own end. Improving? yes... but a long way to go and you can bet their offense will suffer.
wrong. Jovanovski is not a liability in his own end. occasionally will he give it up in the neutral zone? yes. liability in his own end? not even close.

from what i've seen of Ozolinsh he isn't either... but i will admit i saw little of him.

Old
10-19-2003, 01:36 PM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad
Jovanovski can hit, Ozolinsh can't for all I know
Actually, he can; he's a surprisingly big and strong player for a guy with a rep as an offensive defenseman.

Old
10-19-2003, 01:45 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVal575
wrong. Jovanovski is not a liability in his own end. occasionally will he give it up in the neutral zone? yes. liability in his own end? not even close.

from what i've seen of Ozolinsh he isn't either... but i will admit i saw little of him.
I closed the window by acident, while typing a long post on this so I'll keep it short:

For a so called top 10, hell top 5 defenseman in the NHL (according to the boards his way above the likes of Rob Blake, Sergei Zubov and Scott Niedermayer), Jovo has a rather poor defensive coverage and has long ways to go before being a steady lock as one of NHL's top 10 defenseman, as I probably rate him somewhere between 10 and 20 right now.

Old
10-19-2003, 01:47 PM
190Octane

Zubov>Jovo.. at least in my opinion.

Old
10-19-2003, 01:48 PM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Jovo-60
Ozolinsh-52

That is how i'd rate them, with Orr being 100 (Lidstrom would be around 75 compared to Orr.)

Old
10-19-2003, 01:52 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
I closed the window by acident, while typing a long post on this so I'll keep it short:

For a so called top 10, hell top 5 defenseman in the NHL (according to the boards his way above the likes of Rob Blake, Sergei Zubov and Scott Niedermayer), Jovo has a rather poor defensive coverage and has long ways to go before being a steady lock as one of NHL's top 10 defenseman, as I probably rate him somewhere between 10 and 20 right now.
Just curious, how many Canucks games do you see over in the Netherlands? I'm not disagreeing with your assessment, just wondering how many times you have seen Jovo play to form this oppinion.

Old
10-19-2003, 01:57 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
Just curious, how many Canucks games do you see over in the Netherlands? I'm not disagreeing with your assessment, just wondering how many times you have seen Jovo play to form this oppinion.
Ah too bad, you'll never know. Every time I say something negative about the Vancouver Canucks, fans ask how many games I actually see rather then back up their statements.

Old
10-19-2003, 02:03 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Quote:
Ah too bad, you'll never know. Every time I say something negative about the Vancouver Canucks, fans ask how many games I actually see rather then back up their statements.
And answering HIS question was not an option? Guess when people question your ability to make accurate player assessments, you resort to using blanket statements that have nothing to do with what is being discussed. Quite convincing I must say.

Old
10-19-2003, 02:04 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Well, if we take Lidstrom as 99, I'd give Jovanovski an 88 and Ozolinsh a 69.

Old
10-19-2003, 02:07 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
You're entitled to your oppinion, I don't neccesarily disagree with your assessment of Jovo(I think he has some work to do on his defensive coverage and I don't consider him a top 10 d-man right now although he has improved dramatically over the last two seasons). I just find it interesting how you seem to always have insightful views on the Canucks when you probably see very little if any Canucks games over in Europe. I prefer not to comment on players that I don't see on a regular basis, but maybe that's just me...

Old
10-19-2003, 02:07 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Stop it Peter Griffin !
The Canucks are hot here in The Netherlands. I already send several e-mails, but they just don't want to listen. I already "look forward" to next week, it will probably be a Canucks game again.

Old
10-19-2003, 02:14 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
You're entitled to your oppinion, I don't neccesarily disagree with your assessment of Jovo(I think he has some work to do on his defensive coverage and I don't consider him a top 10 d-man right now although he has improved dramatically over the last two seasons). I just find it interesting how you seem to always have insightful views on the Canucks when you probably see very little if any Canucks games over in Europe. I prefer not to comment on players that I don't see on a regular basis, but maybe that's just me...
I think about 5/10 a season, I can see more if I wanted to though (I think), but frankly I am always dependent of someone else in regards to other team's NHL games. All this said, I am also an active follower of the NHL and their teams in general, I read a lot of reviews, am up to date and always watch the highlights (I have a rather boring job)..

Old
10-19-2003, 02:19 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

I do think that Jovo is somewhat overrated around the league, but he's still one hell of a dman... I wouldn't say he's top 10 right now, but he is going to get there.

his defensive "deficiencies" are overstated though... he's not that bad in his own zone - he's actually pretty good in his own zone...

most of his turnovers happen in the neutral zone, and that's the price you pay for his aggressive rushing game... in his own zone he's probably the #2 dman on the Canucks I like seeing out there defensively - after Ohlund (who's going to have a huge breakout year this year offensively!! this guy is playing awesome right now!!!)... Jovo has a huge presense and if you watch him in his own zone, players back away from him there - especially near the boards... he has a reputation of laying hard hits at every opportunity.

But if this guy was so bad defensively, then how do you explain his stats?? two seasons ago he didn't have good defensive stats, and everyone was saying that Lachance was the reason why that pairing was even good out there... Lachance went to Columbus and had a horrible season with Jovo... Jovo had a +18 season with Malik the next year!

I think all this talk about Jovo's lack of defensive ability is coming from people that haven't seen him play the last couple years, and are just going by his play in past years - as a 24, 25 yr old dman... he's not close to the same player now... not only has he managed to improve significantly defensively, he's done so by improving his offensive presense at the same time.

but hey what do I know... I only base it on watching the games every year, rather than on scouting reports from 2-3 years ago!

Old
10-19-2003, 02:38 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Well, if we take Lidstrom as 99, I'd give Jovanovski an 88 and Ozolinsh a 69.

I'm sure you'd like to give Ozolinsh a 69! OH YEAH!

Old
10-19-2003, 02:41 PM
LaVal

Quote:
because we're curious how many games you can match up to the 80 a year we see

how much you see a player direcly reflects upon your credibility. stats cannot tell much about a player.

Old
10-19-2003, 02:49 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Sometimes I read Modano=God's comments on the Canucks and I'm not sure that I beleive he has ever seen a hockey game.

Completley off line and basically apsurd for the most part, basically the conclusions you can come to without any real base, but rather by checking a lot of stats.

Closed Thread