HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Jackets Lineup Age 23 and Under

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2006, 09:19 AM
Macster

vCash: 500
Jackets Lineup Age 23 and Under

There are a lot of young players that the Jackets have in their system- if they are developed properly then we can be scary in a few years. I also think that a top Defense prospect is needed.

Nash-Brule-Zherdev
Picard-Svitov-Fritsche
Lindstrom-Platt-Mozyakin
Goertzen-Dupuis-Pineault

Also Konsorada, Pohl, Piispanen

Klesla-Johnson
McQuaid-Tollefsen
Methot-Russell
Hendrikx-Wharton

Leclaire
Popperle

Thoughts?

Old
01-11-2006, 09:25 AM
DJAnimosity
the ol knifey moloko

Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
Top defense prospect = Erik Johnson. I can't tell you how much I want this kid in our system. I'd *almost* be able to handle a crap rest of the season to have a shot at him.

I expect Doug to make a push on getting Mozyakin over here next season. Yes, he could be a Balastik (who actually hasn't played that poorly), but he could also be a St. Louis.

I also think Svitov is still in our plans, so I'd expect to see him over Platt on our depth chart.

Hendrikx, Dupuis, Pohl, and Pineault are having great seasons and I'd expect to see them all in Syracuse (or Cincinnati) next season, possibly with a couple of call-ups here and there.

McQuaid and Wharton have taken a step back this year and are still a few years off. Our pick of McQuaid in the second round isn't looking too great at the moment.

Last edited by DJAnimosity: 01-11-2006 at 09:39 AM.
Old
01-11-2006, 10:43 AM
futurcorerock

Send a message via AIM to futurcorerock
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity
Top defense prospect = Erik Johnson. I can't tell you how much I want this kid in our system. I'd *almost* be able to handle a crap rest of the season to have a shot at him.

I expect Doug to make a push on getting Mozyakin over here next season. Yes, he could be a Balastik (who actually hasn't played that poorly), but he could also be a St. Louis.

I also think Svitov is still in our plans, so I'd expect to see him over Platt on our depth chart.

Hendrikx, Dupuis, Pohl, and Pineault are having great seasons and I'd expect to see them all in Syracuse (or Cincinnati) next season, possibly with a couple of call-ups here and there.

McQuaid and Wharton have taken a step back this year and are still a few years off. Our pick of McQuaid in the second round isn't looking too great at the moment.
If we don't move Denis or Berard at the deadline... I expect, DEMAND Doug to jump up and take EJ. If the Jackets land in the top 10, I think a swap of picks alongside a veteran or a mid-level youth would get the job done. And I would only lose sleep envisioning EJ on the top pairing with Foote.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Oh and Mozyakin man-crush, on! DJ, Your comparison is off.. I think you meant he could be a Pirijeta... as Stiky has shown flashes of brilliance while in Cowtown

Old
01-11-2006, 11:13 AM
Macster

Quote:

I can't agree more about EJ. Also, i hope that Mozyakin makes his way over, maybe on a euro line with Balastik and Svitov? If thats the case what kind of lineup implications would the addition of those two player make?

Would it look something like this? :

Nash-Fedorov-Zherdev
Fritsche-Malholtra-Vyborny
Mozyakin-Svitov-Balastik
Picard-Brule-Letowski

I can see Hrdina being replaced by Svitov, but where would Chimera and Shelley fit in? There isn't a lot of toughness in the lineup that i have above.Chimera and Letowski form 2/3 of a good checking line. Also unless we roll 4 lines, Brule and Picard won't get a lot of ice time.

Old
01-11-2006, 11:27 AM
DJAnimosity
the ol knifey moloko

Yeah, and if you take Doug's comments about acquiring two top-6 forwards before the start of next season as fact, the situation gets even murkier. (Unless he considers Svitov and Mozyakin to be top-6 forwards).

I don't expect us to re-sign Hrdina or Letowski, and I'm unsure of Chimera's contract status. I think Doug might want to keep him around since he traded for him. Vyborny is a question mark. I expect him to be back, but I don't see how we can add two top-6 guys if he's re-signed.

My guess for personnel next year would be:

Nash-Fedorov-FA
Zherdev-FA/Brule-Vyborny/FA
Balastik/Picard-Malhotra-Mozyakin
Chimera (?)-Svitov-Fritsche

Call-ups: Platt, Lindstrom, Pineault, Goertzen

Foote-Klesla
Suchy-Berard (?)
Westcott-Johnson
Hainsey

Call-ups: Methot, Tollefsen

Leclaire
FA

Popperle should get the #1 job in Syrannati.

Old
01-11-2006, 11:52 AM
Macster

Quote:
Yeah, and if you take Doug's comments about acquiring two top-6 forwards before the start of next season as fact, the situation gets even murkier. (Unless he considers Svitov and Mozyakin to be top-6 forwards).

I don't expect us to re-sign Hrdina or Letowski, and I'm unsure of Chimera's contract status. I think Doug might want to keep him around since he traded for him. Vyborny is a question mark. I expect him to be back, but I don't see how we can add two top-6 guys if he's re-signed.

My guess for personnel next year would be:

Nash-Fedorov-FA
Zherdev-FA/Brule-Vyborny/FA
Chimera (?)-Svitov-Fritsche

Call-ups: Platt, Lindstrom, Pineault, Goertzen

Foote-Klesla
Suchy-Berard (?)
Westcott-Johnson
Hainsey

Call-ups: Methot, Tollefsen

Leclaire
FA

Popperle should get the #1 job in Syrannati.

Murky for sure! I really don't see DMGM getting 2 top six guys, I think thats just one of his usual "give the fans something to look forward to next season" comments. I can see maybe one guy, hopefully a top line RW.

On that note, I hate how Fritsche is being thrown around. Is he a top RW for the future or not? I think he needs to be given a defined role on the team, and he should be developed there.

Also i think that the revolving door of FA backups needs to stop after next season. We need to develop one of our goalies for that role. Clearly Leclaire will be the starter next year, and I think that a backup should be signed or traded for for next season only, until Popperle is ready to back up Leclaire. A Popperle/Penner platoon in the minors will be good until Popperle is ready. Then a Penner starter, Lacosta backup combo in the AHL afterwards.

I think Berard will be traded at the deadline. I hate to see it, especially after the hat-trick, but i think we can get a reasonable pick or two for him.

I think the Jackets should draft Erik Johnson and really develop him and not rush him like we do with most of our young guys. I also believe that a big left winger should be drafted. There is a guy who plays for Cape Breton in the QMJHL named James Sheppard and he will be a solid 2nd round guy. I think he would be a great addition to the system.

Also i think that we should try to hire Ted Nolan. He would be a perfect fit, as long as GMDM stops micro-managing.

That means that between your ideas and mine DJ, that Hrdina, Letowski, Denis and maybe Chimera will be gone next season, in favour of a top six FA, Svitov, hopefully Mozyakin and the additions of Brule and Picard from the minors.

Nash-Fedorov-FA
Zherdev-Malholtra-Vyborny
Mozyakin-Svitov-Balastik
Picard-Brule-Fritsche
Shelley

Foote-Suchy
Klesla-Westcott
Hainsey-A.Johnson

Under this scenario- we would need to roll four lines, giving Picard-Brule-Fritsche plenty of PP time. Malholtra and Vyborny could be top penalty killers.

Anyway that is all of my thoughts for next season- it's too bad I am focusing on it more than the current season, but if at least some of those things happened, i would be very happy.

Thoughts?

Old
01-11-2006, 12:09 PM
X0ssbar

One guy that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is Rupp. 15 games ago I would have said throw him under the bus with Hrdina but I have really liked the way this guy has played since getting recalled....he has size..decent speed for a big man..can chip in the occasional goal and you can't overlook this guy's toughness. I think he's a perfect 4th line center.

Balastik and Mozyakin are both question marks in my mind. Althought Balastik has a wrist shot from the gods I'll have to agree with DJ and say that he hasn't done much without Hrdina feeding him the puck. I don't think he's a lock for next year's squad. I have know idea about Mozyakin so I won't pencil him anywhere until I can get a look at this guy - his numbers suggest he has definitely earned at least a hard look though.

I am also not convinced Svitov will be in the picture next year. Letowski is a guy we could use (especially on the PK) and is cheap. I wouldn't mind seeing him come back but for now I left him off the roster.

So assuming we get at least one top six UFA (two if we don't resign Vybes) - we resign Suchy, Westcott, Prusek and Shelley I would go with:

Nash Feds Vyborny/UFA
Zherdev Manny Vyborny/UFA
Chimera Brule Fritsche
Shelley Rupp Goertzen
Svitov/Picard

Foote Suchy
Westcott Berard
Klesla Hainsey
Johnson

Leclaire
Prusek (or UFA if we trade him or he decides to go elsewhere)

Old
01-11-2006, 12:12 PM
DJAnimosity
the ol knifey moloko

Very good points, macster, I'd like to see Nolan here as well. But for some reason I think there's some sort of secret blacklisting going on with Nolan that the general public doesn't know about. The guy's too good of a coach to be out of the NHL for this long. Plus, if you believe the story Doug told, he already tried to interview Nolan once. I don't know if he'll get another chance here.

We also have to keep in mind our budget for next year, as re-signing Zherdev and Klesla is going to take some time and money. Vyborny also needs re-signed, as would Denis if we see fit to keep him (I don't think we will). Also, additions such as Mozyakin and Svitov have to be accounted for. We could lose approx. $9 mill in payroll (Richardson, Hrdina, Letowski, Chimera, Rupp, Hulse, Berard (?), Denis (?)), though, which should give us a little room to play with on the FA market. Enough for 2 legit top-6 guys? Who knows?

Old
01-11-2006, 04:55 PM
skullman80

Send a message via AIM to skullman80 Send a message via Yahoo to skullman80
How has Zhredev worked out for you guys since he was drafted?? I was very intrigued when he came into the league, but honestly haven't seen many Bluejacket games to get an impression of him.

Old
01-12-2006, 09:34 AM
PerfectTommy

I'm not sure Svitov will be back next year, unless he agrees to play in Syracuse. He had a so-so season down there during the lockout, he's had injury problems in Russia this season, and his "potential" has been talked about since he was drafted. Not bashing the guy, I just don't think CBJ should save a roster spot for him.

Keep a close eye on Hrdina for the rest of the season. As awful as he was for the first 30 games, he finally seems to be delivering what he was signed for. If he continues to perform, would he be worth bringing back with another one-year contract at a reasonable level?

Old
01-12-2006, 02:49 PM
PubOFH

Send a message via Yahoo to PubOFH
Quote:
Very good points, macster, I'd like to see Nolan here as well. But for some reason I think there's some sort of secret blacklisting going on with Nolan that the general public doesn't know about. The guy's too good of a coach to be out of the NHL for this long. Plus, if you believe the story Doug told, he already tried to interview Nolan once. I don't know if he'll get another chance here.

We also have to keep in mind our budget for next year, as re-signing Zherdev and Klesla is going to take some time and money. Vyborny also needs re-signed, as would Denis if we see fit to keep him (I don't think we will). Also, additions such as Mozyakin and Svitov have to be accounted for. We could lose approx. $9 mill in payroll (Richardson, Hrdina, Letowski, Chimera, Rupp, Hulse, Berard (?), Denis (?)), though, which should give us a little room to play with on the FA market. Enough for 2 legit top-6 guys? Who knows?
Yea...I had talked to Doug on his show a couple of years back about Nolan...he said the bla bla bla about going over the GMs head. Well from what I hear the GM was a turd for the Sabres and had something to do with Haseck. I know one thing...Nolan + Barnaby and we are ALL SET!!!! Stanley Cup baby!!!

Old
01-12-2006, 03:44 PM
Millions Livio

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubstar
I know one thing...Nolan + Barnaby and we are ALL SET!!!! Stanley Cup baby!!!
Barnaby sucks.

I'm rather curious on what's going to happen with the free agent signings. I keep getting the impression that DM wants to get us a big name this time around again.

(Much like Foote)

Old
01-12-2006, 03:53 PM
donniedarko

Who will be gone next year...lets see

Letowski, Hrdina, Richardson, Hulse, Denis

so thats about how much money out....around 5.2 million I believe. Also remember that we have to resign Nikolai and that will cost us around a million. Picard takes Letowskis spot. We sign a Vet for D. Around 1.5 million per. Leaves us with around 3.9. Then Move Brule to where Hrdina is, and get something for Hulse. Bring Johnson up for Hulse. Get a backup for Pascal, and sign someone who can score. Of course we could also dump salary on somebody. But who we trade? Berard? I'm starting to like him, and his D is getting better.

Old
01-12-2006, 03:56 PM
Millions Livio

I actually see Hrdina staying for another year or so, just a feeling.

Old
01-12-2006, 03:58 PM
donniedarko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millions Livio
I actually see Hrdina staying for another year or so, just a feeling.
At the price we are paying him. I think not. Brule will give us the same numbers for much cheaper for 3 more years.

Old
01-12-2006, 04:04 PM
Millions Livio

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedarko
At the price we are paying him. I think not. Brule will give us the same numbers for much cheaper for 3 more years.
I guess you have a point there. Still, wondering what our fourth line will look like next year.

Old
01-12-2006, 06:26 PM
JayGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millions Livio
I guess you have a point there. Still, wondering what our fourth line will look like next year.
I agree with Shelfie that Rupp would be perfect to center the fourth line with Goertzen at wing. Not sure about the other wing. I like Shelley there now but if Svitov is here or Picard is ready, I can't see starting him instead of those guys. Maybe move Rupp to a wing and put Svitov\Picard at center?

Old
01-13-2006, 11:48 AM
Macster

Nash-Fedorov-Zherdev
Balastik-Brad Richards -Vyborny
Picard-Malholtra-Fritsche
Rupp-Brule-Goertzen
Shelley

I just thought i'd sneak Richards in there because he should be GMDM's number one offseason target.

I think that would be a good fourth line, providing they get a good share of the playing time.

Old
01-13-2006, 11:58 AM
JayGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by macster
Nash-Fedorov-Zherdev
Rupp-Brule-Goertzen
Shelley

I just thought i'd sneak Richards in there because he should be GMDM's number one offseason target.

I think that would be a good fourth line, providing they get a good share of the playing time.
Richards? I think Brule will develop into a top line center before too long so I don't see a need to trade for Richards. I'm thinking DMGM should go after scoring wingers.

IMO, Brule is wasted on the 4th line. I don't think he'll get enough playing time to learn much and we don't want him learning what that 4th line is teaching anyways. If that's where he falls, I'd rather see him sent back down.

Old
01-13-2006, 12:00 PM
DJAnimosity
the ol knifey moloko

Richards is a restricted free agent this off-season, not unrestricted. We'd have to trade to get him.

Old
01-13-2006, 12:01 PM
Macster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee
Richards? I think Brule will develop into a top line center before too long so I don't see a need to trade for Richards. I'm thinking DMGM should go after scoring wingers.

IMO, Brule is wasted on the 4th line. I don't think he'll get enough playing time to learn much and we don't want him learning what that 4th line is teaching anyways. If that's where he falls, I'd rather see him sent back down.
I see what your saying. I guess i would just like to see Richards in a CBJ uniform because he is one of my favourite players. Any ideas on who GMDM will try to sign/trade for in the offseason?

Old
01-13-2006, 12:13 PM
DJAnimosity
the ol knifey moloko

I think we should be looking at left wingers in the UFA pool this off-season, since Brule should be centering the second line next year, and Vybes should be re-signed to play on the right side of that second line. Here's what I've come with as far as available left wingers:

Sergei Samsonov
Brad Isbister
PJ Axelsson
Martin Rucinsky
Jeff Friesen
Dean McAmmond

Not a very solid crop at all, as you can see, although Rucinsky kind of intrigues me. Samsonov will probably be pretty expensive, but I wouldn't mind taking a run at him, either.

Old
01-13-2006, 12:57 PM
falcor

Quote:
Sergei Samsonov
Brad Isbister
PJ Axelsson
Martin Rucinsky
Jeff Friesen
Dean McAmmond
ugh, DJ. i think that Mozyakin and Balastik sound better than those options.

just some random thoughts.

~brule does not belong on the 4th line. matter of fact, as much as i like fritsche..he certainly doesn't deserve a spot on a higher line than gilbert.

~balastik is a goal *****. his goal/assist ratio is absurd. but, even vybes noted that the czech brand of hockey is a bit different and he told bala to get open and he would pass to him and he should shoot. this not only sheds light on balastik's train of thought on the ice, but vyborny's too. vybes needs a shooter on his line. bala needs a passer. i, personally, would not seperate them.

~i am pleased with the top line of nash - feds - zherdev. they are working well together when i wasn't sure they could. if we bring mozyakin over, depending on his level of play, it *could* throw a wrench in the works. do you put mozyakin on the russian line? if so, i'm assuming the 'other' line would be nash - brule - and ??? i wouldn't mind seeing a mozyakin - vyborny - balastik line. 2 scoring wingers for vybes to feed. hmmmm.

~goaltending concerns me. i liked popperle's play, but is he ready to back leclaire up? if not, who will?

~(edits)we definately need more high caliber d-men(in the draft). i think we need more scoring wingers(really..who could have enuf of those?)(also in the draft). i would also expect to see a goaltender drafted as well. sure is nice having skilled youth in the system though! too bad it seems to take so long to develop them.

Nash - Fedorov - Zherdev
Balastik - Vyborny - Mozyakin
Malhotra - Brule - Fritsche
Picard - Rupp/Svitov - Chimera/Goertzen

(another edit) forgot about platt. not sure where he would fit in next year, or if he would at all. should be a competitive training camp at least..

Last edited by falcor: 01-13-2006 at 01:12 PM.
Old
01-13-2006, 01:21 PM
DJAnimosity
the ol knifey moloko

Like I said, I know it's not a very deep crop of UFAs at the LW position. I would only be interested in Rucinsky in that he could add to our Czech Mafia. Balastik definitely stays next season, but on the third line with Manny and possibly Mozyakin. Both of these guys could set up Stiky to unleash his cannon. Or Bala could be bumped up to line #2 if we can't find a suitable UFA to go there:

Nash-Fedorov-Zherdev
Balastik/UFA-Brule-Vyborny
Chimera/Shelley-Rupp/Svitov-Fritsche

Old
01-13-2006, 01:28 PM
futurcorerock

Send a message via AIM to futurcorerock
Quote:
Originally Posted by macster
Nash-Fedorov-Zherdev
Rupp-Brule-Goertzen
Shelley

If Richards comes too Cowtown, he's the top-line center.. no question.

Also, I think he's off our radar now that we have Feds... not to say Feds is comparable, but our money is better spent shoring up the wings. Plus I wouldn't mind taking a stab at a 2nd pairing defenseman

Closed Thread