HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Petri Kontiola

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-20-2007, 12:55 PM
  #51
DisgruntledHawkFan
Moderator
 
DisgruntledHawkFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 22,009
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
And I hope you're right. I just don't want to gush over a guy with flaws in his games that's tearing up a lesser league. More then willing to give him an honest shot and a good look in training camp, but signing him on a one-way deal without first seeing if he really fits on our squad has proven to be a mistake in the past.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 01:12 PM
  #52
Joretus
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
And I hope you're right. I just don't want to gush over a guy with flaws in his games that's tearing up a lesser league. More then willing to give him an honest shot and a good look in training camp, but signing him on a one-way deal without first seeing if he really fits on our squad has proven to be a mistake in the past.
Salmelainen have one assest. That's speed. I(and many others) thought it would be enough to damage opponents in NHL, but obviously his lack of other talents hurted him too much. Salmelainen have a lot of flaws, while Kontiola doesn't have too much.

It's totally pointless to compare Salmelainen to Kontiola. Kontiola have so much natural talents and can bring things which even none of current Blackhawks centers can't. He have awesome vision and so much natural talent as well.

IF you want to compare Salmelainen and Kontiola consider this. Take away Salmelainen's speed with closer marking, what will happen, nothing, he can't do anything if he don't have space to use his speed. Then in situation 2, you will mark Kontiola close, what will happen, he will play you out in 1vs1 situation, ok then you can try to double team, what will happen, he will pass to open player.

And if you are saying "since Salmelainen were good in Finland, but sucked in NHL, why not then say same about every player who have been great in QMJHL, WHL, OHL or NCAA but then being nothing special in NHL? Ie. lets say "Toews have been about equal to Martin Kariya(or Steve Kariya even being better) in points in NCAA" does that mean Toews will be next Martin Kariya since they played in same league before? It's about players, not about which league they are coming from or which nation they are representing, just watch Kopitar, etc.

And btw. you can't even sign Kontiola with one way contract anyway.

Joretus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2007, 03:12 PM
  #53
DisgruntledHawkFan
Moderator
 
DisgruntledHawkFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 22,009
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joretus View Post
And if you are saying "since Salmelainen were good in Finland, but sucked in NHL, why not then say same about every player who have been great in QMJHL, WHL, OHL or NCAA but then being nothing special in NHL?
Those are all for the most part developmental leagues. And I didn't say Kontiola would suck. I simply said I'd like him to play a few shifts on North American ice against NHL level talent before anointing him as one of our top centers for next year.

You also seem to believe that I think that every player that comes out of the FEL will be garbage. I never said that either. Simply that just because a player tears up a certain league (Salmeilainen) doesn't mean that his success will transfer to a different league.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 03:24 AM
  #54
Joretus
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Those are all for the most part developmental leagues. And I didn't say Kontiola would suck. I simply said I'd like him to play a few shifts on North American ice against NHL level talent before anointing him as one of our top centers for next year.

You also seem to believe that I think that every player that comes out of the FEL will be garbage. I never said that either. Simply that just because a player tears up a certain league (Salmeilainen) doesn't mean that his success will transfer to a different league.
Yes, that's 100% sure. Doing good in one league(or even in one team) doesn't mean automatically that player will play well in another league(or team).

And you didn't but I have seen that a lot. Since ppl really no have clue about european leagues in NA. And yes you are right that of course you shouldn't hand first/second center role straight away.

Personall I see that it will take at least one season to transform for NA league for Kontiola.

It just makes me "mad" if ppl are comparing some players without seeing them or talking about leagues which they does not know anything about.

Joretus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 06:47 AM
  #55
TK79
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
I'd like to see him play on NA ice against NHL level talent before giving him a roster spot. Remember Last year when everyone was raving about Salmo? He tore up the FEL as well. The NHL, not so much.
I didn't think Salmo was that bad in the few games I saw him play this season. He didn't exactly "tear up" the league, but he did produce on occasion and used his speed well. Do you think he did enough to get a new contract?

Btw Kontiola is miles ahead of Salmo in terms of vision, skill and hockey sense.

TK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 08:14 AM
  #56
Zim
Registered User
 
Zim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK79 View Post
I didn't think Salmo was that bad in the few games I saw him play this season. He didn't exactly "tear up" the league, but he did produce on occasion and used his speed well. Do you think he did enough to get a new contract?

Btw Kontiola is miles ahead of Salmo in terms of vision, skill and hockey sense.
Salmaleinen has another year left and unless he drastically improves his game i don' t think the Hawks or anyone other NHL team are going to offer him a new contract.

Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2007, 11:20 AM
  #57
DisgruntledHawkFan
Moderator
 
DisgruntledHawkFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 22,009
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Salmo's got great speed, but I think the NA game isn't for him. Mediocre hands and the fact that a stiff breeze knocks him off the puck make him fairly useless on the smaller NA ice. If he's on the Blackhawks next year it's only because Tallon messed up in signing him for two years and dollar bill doesn't want him wasting cash.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2007, 10:39 AM
  #58
Joretus
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,313
vCash: 500
Kontiola 1+2 when Finland won over Ukraine 5-0. SH goal.

Joretus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2007, 11:44 AM
  #59
Chief Jokinen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: HELSINKI, FINLAND
Country: Finland
Posts: 199
vCash: 500
Good game by Kontiola indeed.

Chief Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 09:34 AM
  #60
sirMcDuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 301
vCash: 500
Kontiola 0+3 against Denmark, so he have now 1+5 in 2 games!

sirMcDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 10:57 AM
  #61
Ciccarelli
Registered User
 
Ciccarelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coasti View Post
Kontiola 0+3 against Denmark, so he have now 1+5 in 2 games!
Yep, Kontiola's game has been impressivly solid. Although the opponents haven't been as solid. I'm actually pretty surprised that he's performed so nicely this far, let's see if he can keep this up against the harder opponents. If so I can't see why he couldn't play in the NHL in the very next season.

Ciccarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 12:31 PM
  #62
Paatos
Registered User
 
Paatos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Oulu
Country: Finland
Posts: 335
vCash: 500
Damn, Kontiola is really breaking through... he's much closer to ie. Mikko Koivu than Salmo as he actually knows how to play.

Paatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 01:21 PM
  #63
Joretus
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,313
vCash: 500
http://www.yle.fi/urheilu/mediasali/...i/id73728.html

There is his 3rd assist today for Aki Berg's goal.

Joretus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 04:43 PM
  #64
TK79
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coasti View Post
Kontiola 0+3 against Denmark, so he have now 1+5 in 2 games!
Lets see how he does against the top countries before we got too psyked..

TK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2007, 05:33 PM
  #65
Faktisti*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 851
vCash: 500
have to say that kontiola is mayby the most creativy finnish player that i have seeb in a long time. he is just amazing with the puck. he plays finland's first power play line! 1+ 5 points so far! and a nice goal against ukraine

Faktisti* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2007, 05:09 PM
  #66
Hawksfan2828
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Libertyville, IL
Posts: 7,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK79 View Post
I didn't think Salmo was that bad in the few games I saw him play this season. He didn't exactly "tear up" the league, but he did produce on occasion and used his speed well. Do you think he did enough to get a new contract?

Btw Kontiola is miles ahead of Salmo in terms of vision, skill and hockey sense.
Are you kidding me? Salmo would get knocked off the puck every time he had it. He would try his speed bursts but the Dmen would just move him into the boards and take the puck away. I was impressed by his speed but other then that he lacks the size to really go to the net so hes forced to dish the puck out or try to take a shot from the top of the circle if hes able to get that deep into the zone.

Hawksfan2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2007, 01:41 PM
  #67
Phenomenon
Registered User
 
Phenomenon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosnell View Post
I'm actually pretty surprised that he's performed so nicely this far, let's see if he can keep this up against the harder opponents.
0+0 and -1 from Russia and Switzerland games. Viuhkola will most probably replace Kontiola in the 1st line in the next game according to YLE News.

Don't make too radical conclusion from this. Kontiola has played well overall, but this is his first WHC tournament and he is still in the learning phase. He has already shown that he has the tools to make it in the highest level, but needs more experience to use them more efficiently.

Phenomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 07:46 AM
  #68
Phenomenon
Registered User
 
Phenomenon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,155
vCash: 500
Kontiola is out of the roster (in the bench as the 13th or 14th forward) today when Finland faces Sweden. Weird desicion by the coach EW.

Phenomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2007, 09:12 AM
  #69
DRReclusive
Registered User
 
DRReclusive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: White Rock
Country: Canada
Posts: 282
vCash: 500
Umm...

DRReclusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 05:15 AM
  #70
TK79
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRReclusive View Post
Umm...
Yeah, the Finnish coach has gone mad.. Kontiola and Bergie sit while bums like Pärssinen and Kallio keep playing no matter how badly they suck..

TK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2007, 09:00 AM
  #71
Joretus
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomenon View Post
Kontiola is out of the roster (in the bench as the 13th or 14th forward) today when Finland faces Sweden. Weird desicion by the coach EW.
Typical "play the NHL status&guys who have played last 10 years in national team"-move by EW. After Kontiola played couple of good games he haven't played more than 15mins in a game once and rest games with 10mins or below ice time. Weird way to pay back good points and playing.

Joretus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2007, 02:03 PM
  #72
The Fuhr*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hamilton,Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,765
vCash: 500
Played well and had a goal in the gold medal game.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2007, 03:11 PM
  #73
Joretus
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
Played well and had a goal in the gold medal game.
Yeah, too bad coach let him play just 30mins or so after game went south...

Joretus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 01:55 PM
  #74
hawksfan50
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,870
vCash: 500
That is right--I don't think I saw Kontiola the ice till about half-way through the gold Medal game with the score 3-0 for Canada...then when Westerlund dod finally pyt him in ,I think his first two or three shifts were not at centre but Lw where he looked a liitle lost out there...only in the 3rd period when he got more shifts at centre did he start looking better--then he scored that goal and also had a shift where he anticipated well,intercepted a pass where Canada tried to come out of its zone up the middle,and SHOULD have walked in clear and shot but instead tried to dish off
---he will need to be told in the NHL to SHOOT when the opportunity presents instead of trying to make the fancy passing play (ie to be a successful goal scorer you gotta be a bit selfish and take the shot yourself)...till as he got more shifts at centre ,Kontiola was looking more comfortable and better..So why did Westerlund nt use him earlier given the Finns dearth of scoring? Who knows?

From the limited time he played,it is hard to get a read on him...but obviosly there are some skills to work with here..too bad we did not get to see more of him...

hawksfan50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2007, 04:37 PM
  #75
Joretus
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan50 View Post
That is right--I don't think I saw Kontiola the ice till about half-way through the gold Medal game with the score 3-0 for Canada...then when Westerlund dod finally pyt him in ,I think his first two or three shifts were not at centre but Lw where he looked a liitle lost out there...only in the 3rd period when he got more shifts at centre did he start looking better--then he scored that goal and also had a shift where he anticipated well,intercepted a pass where Canada tried to come out of its zone up the middle,and SHOULD have walked in clear and shot but instead tried to dish off
---he will need to be told in the NHL to SHOOT when the opportunity presents instead of trying to make the fancy passing play (ie to be a successful goal scorer you gotta be a bit selfish and take the shot yourself)...till as he got more shifts at centre ,Kontiola was looking more comfortable and better..So why did Westerlund nt use him earlier given the Finns dearth of scoring? Who knows?

From the limited time he played,it is hard to get a read on him...but obviosly there are some skills to work with here..too bad we did not get to see more of him...

He won't be ever goalscorer, but of course if he would shoot more, it would create him more space to pass too, since D can't anticipate that he will pass.

He have better vision than 95% of players and skills to play 1vs1 well and pass. But as I have mentioned earlier he will need mostly "NA playing"-style for two different things. Shoot more and be more straight forward.

Joretus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.