HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Starting to feel better about the Kostitsyn pick?

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2006, 12:50 PM
Matrix

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Petit Viking
If Theo sucks even after a Vezina and a Hart , let's wait a complete season before feeling good about Kost...
The best thing for the Habs would have been that Theo never won those trophies. We would not have paid what we paid for him since it adds to your value, and we would stop hearing those Vezina and Hart comments to justify how good a player is. If you don't win those trophies year after year, or at least close of being a winner, then those trophies rarely means something, Jack Adams winners get fired the year after, even Calder winner's sucks so hard the year after that their fans want them to be traded (Raycroft, Raycroft, Raycroft.......)

At least the Calder ''finalist'' is still putting some goals on the scoreboard even though we wished he'd put a much consistent effort.

Old
01-11-2006, 12:53 PM
Matrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab
Komisarek is still very young. I've seen him up-close in a few practices (years ago) and he skated really well (especially for a tall, huge guy), and he did have a great shot... He has "warrior" and "leader" written all over him. I just don't want to hype it up too much (I'll let Komi take care of the rest on ice!!). Also bigger players tend to take more time to fully develop. It can also take time for confidence (especially with Julien not giving too much ice time or none at all, 'cause it's hard to develop/improve, and to improve you have to feel that it's ok to make mistakes; and no ice time can also be hard for confidence...!).

Remember Markov a few years ago? He was being sent down to the minors...look at Markov now. Remember Souray before he had his breakout "all-star" year? Patience will do it.

You'll also see the offensive upside of Komi when he gets powerplay time (1 year, 2 years from now?)...that's up to Julien.
I'll be more patient, no problem, but I have a feeling that the management could see that he's not progressing at the rate they wanted him to be and could be expendable. I wouldn't be surprise if he's traded.......but I'm asking myself if I would be OK with it or not. Always depending on what you get in return....and not hoping he develops himself as the next Scott Stevens like tons of people were saying.

Old
01-11-2006, 12:55 PM
BORAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
He's still lost when he doesnt have the puck.
True, but he has shown spurts of Dominance .

Old
01-11-2006, 12:58 PM
Darz

Although I was never down about picking Kostitsyn, it is nice to see the pick starting to pay off. When you consider he came up in a system far inferior to the Canadian junior ranks, and has had to deal with health and language issues at a very young age, I don't think it should surprise anyone that he needed an extra year or so of development before seeing significant time in Montreal.

Now we also have to remember that rookies for the most part tend to struggle at some point after making their NHL debut, so if Kostitsyn does get sent back down to Hamilton at some point this year, it shouldn't be viewed as a negative thing.

01-11-2006, 12:59 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab
Maybe Zednik is expendable, but I'm a huge fan of his "clutch" playoff goals.
Temptation is too great, gotta say it:

We wont need his clutch playoff goals this year cos he is really a Bruin killer and it aint like they are making the playoffs this year

Anyways, being a big fan of Kostitsyn i'd love to see him earn a place for the rest of the season, but im not sure he will. As we get towards a final playoff drive im not sure this year he will be able to A/ play as big a game consistantly as he will need to and B/ outplay Perezhogin by a wide enough margin. I'd love to see him as a crucial part of montreals team this year, but its too early to tell. I think unless Kostitsyn is REALLY on fire this year in the NHL, Pez will probably get another chance in the NHL before the end of the season. There is no need to rush him, but maybe if the Bulldogs can turn their season around, a bit of playoff experience in the AHL would be a good opportunity for him while Pez is in Montreal.

Eitherways, both guys are young and still can learn a lot in the NHL, the main thing for them is to make sure they are given opportunities and all the support they need both on and off the rink. The Habs dont rush their kids, they do their best to look after players (current and past), they are part of a good organisation who i am sure will do whatever is in their best interests. The difficult part for us fans is being patient enough to see what happens, but im sure it will be well worth it in the end.

Old
01-11-2006, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
Although I was never down about picking Kostitsyn, it is nice to see the pick starting to pay off. When you consider he came up in a system far inferior to the Canadian junior ranks, and has had to deal with health and language issues at a very young age, I don't think it should surprise anyone that he needed an extra year or so of development before seeing significant time in Montreal.

Now we also have to remember that rookies for the most part tend to struggle at some point after making their NHL debut, so if Kostitsyn does get sent back down to Hamilton at some point this year, it shouldn't be viewed as a negative thing.
Try and remember with what kind of rabid fanbase you're dealing with here Darz...

Should that scenario happen, do you actually it would be viewed as anything but negative by the masses?

Old
01-11-2006, 01:08 PM
Matrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
Try and remember with what kind of rabid fanbase you're dealing with here Darz...

Should that scenario happen, do you actually it would be viewed as anything but negative by the masses?
Come on, it won't be as negative as you think. I will just personnally ask to fire all the scouts as well as the coaches, GM, ushers and scalpers but beside that you're not going to see me overreacting....

Old
01-11-2006, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix
Come on, it won't be as negative as you think. I will just personnally ask to fire all the scouts as well as the coaches, GM, ushers and scalpers but beside that you're not going to see me overreacting....
Even the ushers and scalpers?!

Old
01-11-2006, 01:12 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Did you forget to mention that Theo will be traded at this time because all the questions about his goaltending are affecting the way AK plays and as a result he isnt producing offensively the way people had hoped? Or are you assuming that he will already be traded by this point?

Old
01-11-2006, 01:13 PM
PJ Wiggum

Send a message via MSN to PJ Wiggum
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer
I think these past few games has made Perezhogin somewhat expendable.
Like most people have already said having Kost play well does not make Perezhogin expendable, it should make Habs fans comfortable knowing that we have 2 potentially top flight wingers dor the future. It brings me back to the Koivu/Ribeiro debate of the summer, just because we have 2 good players at one position we need to get rid of one, it is the opposite. We should keep them both and hope they thrive while they feed off the play of the other.

Old
01-11-2006, 01:19 PM
Darz

Quote:

I can dream can't I????

I think if people would THINK about how many rookies spend their first year to two of NHL service splitting time between the NHL and AHL, they shouldn't get too concerned if a promising rookie gets sent back down for a stint in the AHL. Although I love what Kostitsyn has shown in his most recent call up, I wouldn't be shocked if at some point between now and the end of the year he is back down in Hamilton. I'm sure if that occurs management will take him aside and tell him not to look at it as a demotion, but a chance to work on some parts of his game, that he might not get the chance to work on in Montreal.

Quote:
The best thing for the Habs would have been that Theo never won those trophies.
I remember telling my brother a couple days before the NHL awards in '02 that I was really hoping Iginla would win the Hart trophy. Theodore was a lock for the Vezina, but I felt that Theo winning the Hart was in no way going to help the habs in the long run because in contract negotiations, Theo's agent would be continually throwing the Hart card on the table.

Oh well.

Old
01-11-2006, 01:41 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerf
Like most people have already said having Kost play well does not make Perezhogin expendable, it should make Habs fans comfortable knowing that we have 2 potentially top flight wingers dor the future. It brings me back to the Koivu/Ribeiro debate of the summer, just because we have 2 good players at one position we need to get rid of one, it is the opposite. We should keep them both and hope they thrive while they feed off the play of the other.
Both Kostitsyn and Perezhogin are natural RW'ers and we already have Kovalev and Ryder as our 1-2. All I was saying was that Kostitsyn's performances re-assured me that losing one wouldn't be the end of the world. I'm gonna admit that the 2003 draft class factor plays into this, but to me Kostitsyn's the better prospect.

And don't piss on your credibility by bringing up a Koivu/Ribeiro comparison.

Old
01-11-2006, 01:47 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
No not really.

SHHH

I've said since day one that he's a bust.

Old
01-11-2006, 01:50 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
He's still lost when he doesnt have the puck.
Not so much. Remember when he held in the puck and setup Sourray?

Old
01-11-2006, 02:39 PM
Matrix

Quote:
Even the ushers and scalpers?!
Yeah! But don't tell my dad......He's an usher. He's doing mostly the Air Canada section (or is it still called that, I don't remember) and by the time he was doing the press gallery he had some juicy stories to tell me.....

So let's fire the ushers....minus my dad!!!!

Old
01-11-2006, 02:40 PM
superstar436

Quote:
Both Kostitsyn and Perezhogin are natural RW'ers and we already have Kovalev and Ryder as our 1-2. All I was saying was that Kostitsyn's performances re-assured me that losing one wouldn't be the end of the world. I'm gonna admit that the 2003 draft class factor plays into this, but to me Kostitsyn's the better prospect.

btw: I am a frim believer that Ryder is better at LW

Old
01-11-2006, 06:27 PM
PJ Wiggum

Send a message via MSN to PJ Wiggum
Quote:

I misunderstood youre first post. It sounded like you thought we should make Perezhogin trade bait because of Kost's play, but I can understand whay you meant now. Both are capable of playing as LF'ers no prob, Perez looked really good when he was playing LW on the top line for that stretch of games.

And the Ribeiro/Koivu was not meant to start something I was just using it to say we can have more than one talented player at the same position without having to trade one.

Closed Thread