HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Boo-ing the 3 stars..

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2003, 07:59 PM
PredsMan

vCash: 500
Boo-ing the 3 stars..

Just to get this off my chest.

I think it is totally class-less when Nashvillians "BOO!!" someone from the opposing team that is selected as one of the 3 stars of the game.

Are we not HOCKEY fans? We should applaud a good performance...regardless of the shirt he's wearing.

/endrant

Old
10-18-2003, 08:13 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsMan
Just to get this off my chest.

I think it is totally class-less when Nashvillians "BOO!!" someone from the opposing team that is selected as one of the 3 stars of the game.

Are we not HOCKEY fans? We should applaud a good performance...regardless of the shirt he's wearing.

/endrant

Yeah, a vocal minority has always booed them. I remember when we had a first shutout; we booed Phoenix goalie Khabibulin when he was given the 3rd star then as well. We aren't exactly 'hockey fans' and I think it's the UT fan in them.

Old
10-18-2003, 09:03 PM
sparkle twin
On the Coooole Train

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
I understand your frustration about a game like tonight because Brathwaite played great and wasn't dirty, and deserved a star. But for a game like against Dallas when Turco was named a star, I'm not applauding him. Especially if it's a team or a player that I just can't stand (i.e., anyone from Detroit), I'm not going to applaud him, I don't care what he did. I may not boo him, but I'm definitely not going to cheer for him.

And it's not just Nashville. If you go to any other building where 3 stars are named, people will boo if someone from the opposition is named.

Old
10-19-2003, 01:10 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by spank303
I understand your frustration about a game like tonight because Brathwaite played great and wasn't dirty, and deserved a star. But for a game like against Dallas when Turco was named a star, I'm not applauding him. Especially if it's a team or a player that I just can't stand (i.e., anyone from Detroit), I'm not going to applaud him, I don't care what he did. I may not boo him, but I'm definitely not going to cheer for him.

And it's not just Nashville. If you go to any other building where 3 stars are named, people will boo if someone from the opposition is named.
I'm agree with her. Even if she is a Pitt fan.

Old
10-19-2003, 05:33 AM
PredsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spank303

The situation with Turco is completely different...I was using tonite as an example.

Just because "everyone else is doing it", doesn't make it right.

I think it's tacky.

Old
10-19-2003, 05:50 AM
tulsytrid1

Quote:
The situation with Turco is completely different...I was using tonite as an example.

Just because "everyone else is doing it", doesn't make it right.

I think it's tacky.
I agree; I almost always clap for the 3 stars unless it is something like Turco the other night or like when Bertuzzi won it last season.

Old
10-19-2003, 05:51 AM
tulsytrid1

BTW I think Vokoun, who had a better save % and won the game, should have been the 3rd star last night. Crispy is very objective... Sometimes too objective when selecting the 3 stars

Old
10-19-2003, 07:44 AM
darth5
No!

I agree at the most I withhold my applause if I disapprove of one of the star selections. I thought Brathwaite deserved it-- he was really under siege until the 3rd.

Old
10-20-2003, 06:51 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
I think it is totally class-less when Nashvillians "BOO!!" someone from the opposing team
It's the nature of sports. The opposing team is the enemy. You clap for your team, you boo the other team.

Old
10-20-2003, 07:54 AM
BluesConvert

Gotta agree with PredsMan and tnrocketman. To boo an opposing star is just rediculous.

The fact "other arenas/sports" do it is about like my 4 yr old saying "well, Alex did it too"....doesn't make it right.

Bottom line...you're a hockey fan and you enjoy watching hockey played well. When a guy plays the game to a level you couldn't even DREAM of reaching, you acknowledge his efforts and skill...period.

At the VERY worst, if his actions merit (EG turco the other night), withhold applause...but to boo is just...wrong.

/bc

Old
10-20-2003, 08:34 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesConvert
Gotta agree with PredsMan and tnrocketman. To boo an opposing star is just rediculous.

The fact "other arenas/sports" do it is about like my 4 yr old saying "well, Alex did it too"....doesn't make it right.

Bottom line...you're a hockey fan and you enjoy watching hockey played well. When a guy plays the game to a level you couldn't even DREAM of reaching, you acknowledge his efforts and skill...period.

At the VERY worst, if his actions merit (EG turco the other night), withhold applause...but to boo is just...wrong.

/bc
I never boo opposing stars, instead I stand up and yell, "Die you worthless pieces of ****?" Booing shows little class.

Old
10-20-2003, 09:13 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

If Turco or Guerin ever receives a star while I am attending a game, you better believe I'll be booing.

Old
10-20-2003, 10:28 AM
PredsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok
It's the nature of sports. The opposing team is the enemy. You clap for your team, you boo the other team.
During the game, anything goes.

But after it's over, it's totally different.

Old
10-20-2003, 11:19 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
During the game, anything goes.

But after it's over, it's totally different.
You've spent the whole game rooting against the guy, why should you quit?

It is sports. You root against the opposition. You don't want to see them to good. Heck, the entire arena yells "you suck" to every goalie that comes to Nashville. Well, everyone but BC. Apparently he has a shrine devoted to NHL hockey players where he chants "thou art far superior to me. I will never be as good as thou art. I will never take thou name in vain. I will only offer praise to all NHL players, regardless of their team orientation. I am totally inferior to the gods that are NHL hockey players."

People will boo the opposition before the game (it happens at every game in the NHL). People will boo and root against the opposition during the game. At after the game, people will continue to express their dislike for the opposition. It has nothing to do with the quality of oneís play. Itís the principle of rooting against the enemy. It's sports. If you donít' like it, my grandmother has a quilt that needs to be finished.

Old
10-20-2003, 11:50 AM
darth5
No!

And dulzhok wonders about his negative image...

Old
10-20-2003, 12:57 PM
PredsFan77*

Send a message via ICQ to PredsFan77* Send a message via AIM to PredsFan77*
Quote:

It is sports. You root against the opposition. You don't want to see them to good. Heck, the entire arena yells "you suck" to every goalie that comes to Nashville. Well, everyone but BC. Apparently he has a shrine devoted to NHL hockey players where he chants "thou art far superior to me. I will never be as good as thou art. I will never take thou name in vain. I will only offer praise to all NHL players, regardless of their team orientation. I am totally inferior to the gods that are NHL hockey players."

People will boo the opposition before the game (it happens at every game in the NHL). People will boo and root against the opposition during the game. At after the game, people will continue to express their dislike for the opposition. It has nothing to do with the quality of oneís play. Itís the principle of rooting against the enemy. It's sports. If you donít' like it, my grandmother has a quilt that needs to be finished.
While I don't agree with everything you wrote, you hit the nail right on the head, you root for your team and cheer against the opposition, unless that opposing team has Gretzky...

Old
10-20-2003, 12:59 PM
PredsFan77*

Send a message via ICQ to PredsFan77* Send a message via AIM to PredsFan77*
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
I never boo opposing stars, instead I stand up and yell, "Die you worthless pieces of ****?" Booing shows little class.

Old
10-21-2003, 05:47 AM
BluesConvert

Quote:
Because the game's over?
Quote:
It is sports. You root against the opposition. You don't want to see them to good. Heck, the entire arena yells "you suck" to every goalie that comes to Nashville. Well, everyone but BC.
You DO realize I STARTED the latest goalie taunt that's being heard from 303 (and, of late, some of the rest of the areana), right?

Quote:
Apparently he has a shrine devoted to NHL hockey players where he chants "thou art far superior to me. I will never be as good as thou art. I will never take thou name in vain. I will only offer praise to all NHL players, regardless of their team orientation. I am totally inferior to the gods that are NHL hockey players."
And folks, let me tell you...it's HARD to shout all that on one breath.

Quote:
People will boo the opposition before the game (it happens at every game in the NHL). People will boo and root against the opposition during the game. At after the game, people will continue to express their dislike for the opposition.
Aren't we back to that whole 4 year old mentality thing? Then again, this IS dulzhok making these statements...

Quote:
It has nothing to do with the quality of oneís play. Itís the principle of rooting against the enemy. It's sports. If you donít' like it, my grandmother has a quilt that needs to be finished.
And therein lies the problem. For you, it DOESN'T have anything to do with the quality of the play. It is, apparently, all about the laundry.

I REFUSE to disrespect world class skill (at ANY endeavour) when I see it. The mere fact that Peter Forsberg DOESN'T wear a Predator jersey doesn't make him a bad hockey player deserving of my everlasting hatred any more than the Predator jersey makes David Legwand a great one worthy of my undying praise.

Oh...one other thing. Ask your grandmother if she wanted the current Avs logo or the old Nordiques logo on the quilt.

/bc

Old
10-21-2003, 06:32 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I disrespect those who come into the game and play with the intent of injuring our players. Other than that, I do not boo. Like I said, Turco and Guerin get mighty boos from me, but Modano will not.

Old
10-21-2003, 06:48 AM
PredsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesConvert
Because the game's over?

You DO realize I STARTED the latest goalie taunt that's being heard from 303 (and, of late, some of the rest of the areana), right?

And folks, let me tell you...it's HARD to shout all that on one breath.

Aren't we back to that whole 4 year old mentality thing? Then again, this IS dulzhok making these statements...

And therein lies the problem. For you, it DOESN'T have anything to do with the quality of the play. It is, apparently, all about the laundry.

I REFUSE to disrespect world class skill (at ANY endeavour) when I see it. The mere fact that Peter Forsberg DOESN'T wear a Predator jersey doesn't make him a bad hockey player deserving of my everlasting hatred any more than the Predator jersey makes David Legwand a great one worthy of my undying praise.

Oh...one other thing. Ask your grandmother if she wanted the current Avs logo or the old Nordiques logo on the quilt.

/bc
Once again I think Dulzhok needs to put down the crack-pipe.
I completely agree with BC here.

Old
10-21-2003, 08:23 AM
dulzhok

Usually I don't stay for the 3 stars. So i can't really say if I boo or not. But I certainly don't consider those that do "classless", in Predsman's words. Again, it's the nature of sports to cheer against opposition. And when the games over, 99% of people in the world are still against the opposition. I guess the other 1% think the hockey arena turns into a church service once the buzzer sounds and you can't do anything derogatory towards the opposition.

As for BC, you say that taunting the opposition is classless, yet you have a an entire website devoted to taunting the opposition, including "taunts after winning the game" and mocking foreign players. If you want to see classless, I suggest looking at your website under the mocking foreign players sections. So which is it? Apparently, you have a split personality.

Old
10-22-2003, 03:48 AM
hipcheck85
Where is Triggrman?

This thread sux!!!! BOOOOO BOOOOOOO BOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Old
10-22-2003, 03:54 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Die you worthless pieces of.....sorry just caught up in the moment.

Closed Thread